What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (10 Viewers)

These beat writers are terrible. Maybe 1-2 decent questions. I like the question about why his offense wasn't as successful in Miami. 

awful questions....weak to no follow ups....lousy answers from Gase.....Johnson again not throwing out a winning mandate......usual mess.  

Well, at least expectations are minimal (ok, closer to rock bottom), so maybe we get pleasantly surprised for a change.  Gase came off a little better in a 1 on 1 interview on SNY. That presser was odd. It was like a scene from Invasion of the Body Snatchers.  The funny thing is, we still don't know anything about Gase, his system, his plans (other than hiring a coaching staff - thanks for that nugget), or much of anything else. Just bizarre in general, but quite the norm in Jetsland. 

I love this hire....always liked Williams....he'll be perfect as the HC of the defense....after years of no emotion on the sideline can you imagine the change  with these 2?  Players used to Bowles' blank stare will now get crazy eyes Gase and Williams the bounty hunter!  

The Williams hire makes me feel much better about Gase.....basically its super coordinator system like the Rams......finally some optimism 

Yes love the Williams hire as well. Makes sense to have a big loud ####### in that spot.(especially one with a track record of success). Might take some attention off of how weird Gase is.

Always liked the 4-3 better too. Only downside is it probably means Anderson is gone, and he was one of the few bright spots this year. Maybe this frees up Williams to make some more impact plays up front

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes love the Williams hire as well. Makes sense to have a big loud ####### in that spot.(especially one with a track record of success). Might take some attention off of how weird Gase is.

Always liked the 4-3 better too. Only downside is it probably means Anderson is gone, and he was one of the few bright spots this year. Maybe this frees up Williams to make some more impact plays up front
4-3 costs more, though. Just cap-wise, but they have cap room.  You'll probably see them drafting or targeting pass rushers this year in the draft or in free agency. 

Wonder who is on the market or in their minds for the draft...

4-3 costs more, though. Just cap-wise, but they have cap room.  You'll probably see them drafting or targeting pass rushers this year in the draft or in free agency. 

Wonder who is on the market or in their minds for the draft...
Well, it's to be seen who makes it to free agency, but here is a short early list:

1. Demarcus Lawrence

2. Ezekiel Ansah

3. Trey Flowers

4. Frank Clark

5. Bruce Irvin

6. Chris Long

7. Brandon Graham

8. Cameron Wake

9. Dante Fowler Jr.

10. Julius Peppers

Plus you have Clowney, Suggs, and Ford that are pass rushing LBs that were better fits in our old system. 

I think it’s a better set for Williams - he’s better suited as a 4-3 DE. Maybe draft one of these other pass rushers for the other side if they don’t trade back.

NYRAGE said:
Well, it's to be seen who makes it to free agency, but here is a short early list:

1. Demarcus Lawrence

2. Ezekiel Ansah

3. Trey Flowers

4. Frank Clark

5. Bruce Irvin

6. Chris Long

7. Brandon Graham

8. Cameron Wake

9. Dante Fowler Jr.

10. Julius Peppers

Plus you have Clowney, Suggs, and Ford that are pass rushing LBs that were better fits in our old system. 
Lawrence is my #1...with Clowney, then Flowers, Clark and Fowler....Ansah age/injuries scares me....Id throw big $ at the top 4 if they make it to FA and mid level $ for Fowler.....figure $20M for a stud or $10M for Fowler...also go big on Paradis at center and keep Spencer long at guard....those 2 signings still leave the Jets at $60M....I dont love the value of Bell but they have the $ and could use playmakers so go $17M to Bell (can cut Crowell which saves $3M more) which is $43M then Mike Williams at $10M for $33M - rest is depth signings and resignings.....that gives a stud pass rusher....stud RB...stud Center....solid WR with upside....plus #3 pick?  Thats a nice base.....

Based on the pattern they'll go 9-7 with him this year.  Then they should immediately fire him as the next coach will go like 11-5.  Then they fire that guy and the 3rd guy goes 15-1.  And THEN they fire THAT guy and the next guy gets you a Super Bowl. 

I kid but it's strange how the last few coaches all have seemed to have come strong right away and then things go downhill almost immediately after.

-QG

Funny how these things go But.......

As a Usual Jet Darksider and Pessimist.......  I'm Good!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Granted I was never a fan of Macc and his Mulligan - "Oh we were going for a Super Bowl my 1st 2 years and NOW we're really going to try to build a roster"  BULL that many fans bought.....

But, Since Macc is still here - I'm ALL IN for Gase and Williams...

I think Gase will be great for Darnold, and WIlliams will kick the #### out of this D like it needs..

If nothing else it's GONNA BE FUN!!!!!!!

Bottom Line....Macc is still the one with the spotlight and needs to surround Darnold, Spend that money wisely and DRAFT!!!!

When Macc 1st came here - I wanted Young QB's (Yes Geno!!!! or WHOEVER to develop) to play and spend little money unless it's on young Long Term solutions - So he Spent the money on old guys and played old QB's and here were are THE REBOOT....

NOW, I change my tune - Now that we have a QB, I say SPEND IT!!!!!!! Anything to help a young QB grow.... I'm all for L Bell, Antonio Brown - BOTH, whatever....

My entire Football View is changed with Darnold on my side.

Lets Do this!!!!

I know that we have a lot of cap space, but we also only have 30 players under contract.  That cap space will go quickly, so Dum-dum needs to spend wisely. 

That whole o-line can be replaced. If Beachum gets cut, that's another $8m in savings.  Winters and Long save another $6.5 m each. I'm guessing Winters stays and Long is gone. Crowell may go, too. That's another $3m savings if the Jets didn't like his toilet antics. 

I know that we have a lot of cap space, but we also only have 30 players under contract.  That cap space will go quickly, so Dum-dum needs to spend wisely. 

That whole o-line can be replaced. If Beachum gets cut, that's another $8m in savings.  Winters and Long save another $6.5 m each. I'm guessing Winters stays and Long is gone. Crowell may go, too. That's another $3m savings if the Jets didn't like his toilet antics. 
Long played better once he was moved to guard but I won't shed any tears if he doesn't come back. And good point on how many roster slots are going to eat up that cap space. This roster is really bad largely because of Mac - which makes the proposition of him rebuilding it a bit scary.

Gone. Just get it over with. It's not a cap hit, it's a cap savings with guys you have under contract that can do the same thing. I'm looking at you, Elijah. 

Gone. Just get it over with. It's not a cap hit, it's a cap savings with guys you have under contract that can do the same thing. I'm looking at you, Elijah. 
I'm not a Crowell fan, but we need to find someone with some speed and I don't mean Cannon. McGuire is fine as an all-around back-up, but he's still pretty pedestrian to me. 

I'm not a Crowell fan, but we need to find someone with some speed and I don't mean Cannon. McGuire is fine as an all-around back-up, but he's still pretty pedestrian to me. 
What do you think Bell does with his stutter step/patience (depending how you define it) behind this line? Just curious.  

What do you think Bell does with his stutter step/patience (depending how you define it) behind this line? Just curious.  
I think he's a great receiver and good RB, but if we don't improve our o-line, he won't be remotely worth the salary he will command. 

I think he's a great receiver and good RB, but if we don't improve our o-line, he won't be remotely worth the salary he will command. 
I am in full agreement. That said, if we're going to sign him, might as well spend draft capital making it so that's it worth it. 

Lots of moving parts here. A change to a 4-3 (or 5-2) D Line and needs everywhere. This is the draft we need to hit.  

I don't even think Cannon should be on the roster next year. He has no instincts or awareness and for a guy that was slated as a 3rd down back type he can't catch.

I agree McGuire at best is the lesser part of a RBBC. I'm open to Bell, since there won't be many playmakers available in free agency but given his likely asking price I'm ok if he signs elsewhere as well.

Although I'm a bit tired of signing RBs to their last contract, Mark Ingram is a guy I could get behind adding as he's an all around back and brings energy.

I don't even think Cannon should be on the roster next year. He has no instincts or awareness and for a guy that was slated as a 3rd down back type he can't catch.

I agree McGuire at best is the lesser part of a RBBC. I'm open to Bell, since there won't be many playmakers available in free agency but given his likely asking price I'm ok if he signs elsewhere as well.

Although I'm a bit tired of signing RBs to their last contract, Mark Ingram is a guy I could get behind adding as he's an all around back and brings energy.
That made me laugh. Those were actually his good points. 

I like Ingram. He's not exactly a game-breaker either, but I like what he would bring. Unfortunately, we're still stuck needing that speedy third down guy. 

And out of Payton's offense, who knows? 

But meanwhile, we've been talking about Glennon at QB and Mark Ingram as RB, and the Pats have Michel and Brady under center. So where does that leave us?  

Am I missing something?
Didn't you want Glennon back when? That's not to cut you down. My broader point is that QB and RB are so unsettled and we have pressing needs everywhere. We had to trade two second rounders to get a guy...

I'm not making my point well. We both wanted Glennon at the time. We wound up with Darnold at 1.03. Good pick. Let's see how it works out.  

Didn't you want Glennon back when? That's not to cut you down. My broader point is that QB and RB are so unsettled and we have pressing needs everywhere. We had to trade two second rounders to get a guy...

I'm not making my point well. We both wanted Glennon at the time. We wound up with Darnold at 1.03. Good pick. Let's see how it works out.  
Oh, yes. I was willing to bring him in on the cheap instead of Fitzmagic for the second go 'round.

And yes RB is unsettled which is another reason Mac is just not good at his job - look at all these other teams that keep finding RB gems late in the draft while Mac continues to swing and miss on guys like Cannon and (to a lesser extent) McGuire.

Oh, yes. I was willing to bring him in on the cheap instead of Fitzmagic for the second go 'round.

And yes RB is unsettled which is another reason Mac is just not good at his job - look at all these other teams that keep finding RB gems late in the draft while Mac continues to swing and miss on guys like Cannon and (to a lesser extent) McGuire.
Yeah, my only worry is that they'll pony up a huge contract for Bell and he'll tiptoe his way to 3.2 YPC. 

It's the Jets way, it seems, other than when Parcells was running the ship. Remember Blair Thomas?  

Yeah, my only worry is that they'll pony up a huge contract for Bell and he'll tiptoe his way to 3.2 YPC. 

It's the Jets way, it seems, other than when Parcells was running the ship. Remember Blair Thomas?  
Sure I remember Blair.

My preference would be to build up the o-line as the #1 priority and then worry about adding RBs and WRs - but that's easier said then done. As much grief as I give Mac, here I will admit that spending this cap space wisely will not be easy. There just are not many great WRs or RBs available and teams with money will drive up the price.

Sure I remember Blair.

My preference would be to build up the o-line as the #1 priority and then worry about adding RBs and WRs - but that's easier said then done. As much grief as I give Mac, here I will admit that spending this cap space wisely will not be easy. There just are not many great WRs or RBs available and teams with money will drive up the price.
So spend at foundation with guarantees and build next year through the draft is what I'm thinking. As I see it now, you've got a new defensive scheme, no O-line, no receivers -- why on earth are you going to sign a running back who was easily replaced in Pittsburgh?  

So spend at foundation with guarantees and build next year through the draft is what I'm thinking. As I see it now, you've got a new defensive scheme, no O-line, no receivers -- why on earth are you going to sign a running back who was easily replaced in Pittsburgh?  
I guess the main reason is because Sam needs playmakers - but I'm falling off the Bell bandwagon. I'd rather that money go elsewhere.

I guess the main reason is because Sam needs playmakers - but I'm falling off the Bell bandwagon. I'd rather that money go elsewhere.
they are going to have over $100M to spend when all is said and done...I dont love the value of a $17M RB...especially Bell...but they have stupid money and have not only a need at RB but offensive playmakers in general....Bell is forgotten a bit in his absence but he is a stud who can run and catch - someone the defense needs to account for and plan for each week...Jets havent had one of those guys in a long time....he is head and shoulders above any other offensive player in FA....sign him to big $ and there is still a ton of dough to spread around....he would take a lot of pressure of the kid so its worth the $ IMO

Users who are viewing this thread