What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023 New York Jets: Bye Bye (11 Viewers)

4 more passes to Waller in 10 seconds with no timeouts left would have been an even bigger miracle.
My bad.  Just watched the replay again and saw the error of my ways.  Still a good chance they blow the Hail Mary though, even if they sit back, because it's the Jets.

So who you think fired the DC?

Owner, GM or HC?
Gase just said that he fired Williams.  When asked why didn't he overrule Williams, Gase said that he wished he had called a timeout. He saw the same play called on the play before it, but didn't call timeout. He is garbage.  No accountability ever.

Gase just said that he fired Williams.  When asked why didn't he overrule Williams, Gase said that he wished he had called a timeout. He saw the same play called on the play before it, but didn't call timeout. He is garbage.  No accountability ever.
Yep. Here's the quote from the "leader" they left in place. The last line seems similar in tone and cluelessness to when he regretted earlier in the season putting Bell back in when he was hurt

“I just felt like that was the best thing for our team moving forward,” Gase said, via Ralph Vacchiano of SNY. “Organizationally we had discussions this morning and we felt like that was the best move for us to make. . . . Gregg and myself talked for close to an hour this morning. Obviously he wasn’t happy, like most of us are when this happens. But that’s our profession.”

Gase said he also wasn’t happy about Williams’ call and was asked why he didn’t do anything to change it ahead of the snap.

“I mean, I wish I would have,” Gase said. “I wish I would’ve called timeout. But I didn’t.”

greg williams may have done more in one play for the franchise than the last 2 coaching regimes did in 5 seasons.....all was lost and he has given the Jets hope....they can't blow this gift.  It is now destiny....Trevor is inevitable....the only crumb of hope for Jet fans for the next decade and it was almost lost for nothing.....thank goodness for GWill.....I am a fan for life.  

On a serious note - few thoughts

Sam - played pretty well - bumping up that trade value!

RBs - of course I finally need to start Gore in fantasy and he gets hurt.....I deserved it.....the youngsters are not special but Id rather play them and they finally ran behind Becton

OL - Becton played well but got a valuable learning experience on the 2 sacks....check out Baldy's breakdowns of him...the guy loves Becton.....he got nicked up again which is getting concerning. The new guy - Elfin (?) looks decent....may be a keeper

TE - Herndon is done....another Gase casualty

WRs - Mims is not used enough....Perriman coming back to earth....Crowder is a solid #3WR for next year.  

DL - Q continues his push.....give him an outside pass rusher and he'll take the next step

LB - Hewitt also looks like a keeper - getting better - good insurance if Mosely stinks

DB - Lots of play for the kids....lot of burns....they couldnt cover Waller and of course the zero cover blitz...

Coaching - Gwill was definitely not tanking...thats how he coaches....theres proof everywhere....thats why Gase should be gone as well....its up to the HC to take a step back and say whoa there Greg....may not be a good idea....Gase is the HC and deserves every bit of blame as GWill.....the fact that he got to fire him was insulting and very concerning......

4 left - as stated above - pretty confident Seattle and Rams will be a comfortable loss - although both can look bad as we've seen.......Cleveland looked great but I dont trust Baker.....Pats it depends on the situation....if they are out of it watch out!  

Coaching - Gwill was definitely not tanking...thats how he coaches....theres proof everywhere...
From Dan Orlovsky: "So everyone knows on the last play of the game for the @nyjets -that’s what Gregg Williams does in those “Hail Mary” situations. He always pressure and often plays 0 coverage (everyone man to man) with no safety help. It isn’t done to lose on purpose."

He dug up another instance where it worked. Referred to it as arrogance over malice.
https://twitter.com/danorlovsky7/status/1335767165228748802

greg williams may have done more in one play for the franchise than the last 2 coaching regimes did in 5 seasons.....all was lost and he has given the Jets hope....they can't blow this gift.  It is now destiny....Trevor is inevitable....the only crumb of hope for Jet fans for the next decade and it was almost lost for nothing.....thank goodness for GWill.....I am a fan for life.  
You can argue that it started with Gase getting Maccagnan fired and then leading us to the first overall pick.  Gase could go down as the worst coach of all time, but having the most positive impact on this franchise.

On a serious note - few thoughts

Sam - played pretty well - bumping up that trade value!

RBs - of course I finally need to start Gore in fantasy and he gets hurt.....I deserved it.....the youngsters are not special but Id rather play them and they finally ran behind Becton

OL - Becton played well but got a valuable learning experience on the 2 sacks....check out Baldy's breakdowns of him...the guy loves Becton.....he got nicked up again which is getting concerning. The new guy - Elfin (?) looks decent....may be a keeper

TE - Herndon is done....another Gase casualty

WRs - Mims is not used enough....Perriman coming back to earth....Crowder is a solid #3WR for next year.  

DL - Q continues his push.....give him an outside pass rusher and he'll take the next step

LB - Hewitt also looks like a keeper - getting better - good insurance if Mosely stinks

DB - Lots of play for the kids....lot of burns....they couldnt cover Waller and of course the zero cover blitz...

Coaching - Gwill was definitely not tanking...thats how he coaches....theres proof everywhere....thats why Gase should be gone as well....its up to the HC to take a step back and say whoa there Greg....may not be a good idea....Gase is the HC and deserves every bit of blame as GWill.....the fact that he got to fire him was insulting and very concerning......

4 left - as stated above - pretty confident Seattle and Rams will be a comfortable loss - although both can look bad as we've seen.......Cleveland looked great but I dont trust Baker.....Pats it depends on the situation....if they are out of it watch out!  
I wouldn't say Herndon is done. The coaching staff doesn't even think about using him and to be honest, he did blow his few chances earlier this year except for the one game that he looked good. He can still be a decent player under a new coach assuming he regains his confidence.

Mims is definitely not used enough. Coaching? Sam?

Perriman comes out and makes that great early catch and gets 3 more uncatchable passes.  This coaching staff is one of a kind. They also had success running, so I guess they felt they didn't need to pass in this game

Sam. The best thing I can say about him is that he had good situational awareness yesterday. Just when we looked like we were going to take control of the game, he fumbled and then threw an INT on the following drive. Good job Sam.

Q looked great again. Agree that he will be an even bigger terror when we find a pass rusher.

The LBs and safeties cannot cover a TE to save their lives.  Maye is a decent player, but is so overrated to me. What the hell was that matador play when he let Waller go by him without even a touch?

Castillo misses another kick.  Mann looked good.

The coaching is a disaster.

Williams had to be fired at the end of the season at the latest anyway.  Only the Lions and Cowboys have given up more points than the Jets this year.  This play made for very easy timing, but he was on his way out either way.

I agree with you guys about Gase's comments.  He's such a terrible leader, but that's what the team needs now.  They are so close to achieving their goal of getting Lawrence.

So apparently John Franklin-Myers is.....awesome?

John Franklin-Myers had TEN (10) pressures yesterday. Tied with Aaron Donald's Week 1 game for the most by an IDL this season. His pass rushing has been absurdly fantastic this year. 16.7% pressure rate trails only Donald (17.0%) at the position.

So apparently John Franklin-Myers is.....awesome?

John Franklin-Myers had TEN (10) pressures yesterday. Tied with Aaron Donald's Week 1 game for the most by an IDL this season. His pass rushing has been absurdly fantastic this year. 16.7% pressure rate trails only Donald (17.0%) at the position.
Yes. Franklin-Myers was one of the few keepers I noted in my post from last week.

Except they were not the same play. The overthrow to Agholor in the end zone was not 0 coverage. If Gase thought that play and the touchdown to Ruggs were the same play call, then he is dumber than I thought.

Correct me if I'm wrong as I was Red Zoning it, but I believe the Jets got beat deep the play before that too!   (Carr just missed the throw)   Inconceivable defense in that situation.  They had to be giving the game away on  purpose. 
If they were giving the game away on purpose, then why did they stop the Raiders on downs inside the red zone moments earlier? Also, why were the Jets up? If you are giving a game away on purpose, don't you lose 41-13?

Except they were not the same play. The overthrow to Agholor in the end zone was not 0 coverage. If Gase thought that play and the touchdown to Ruggs were the same play call, then he is dumber than I thought.
You're right. It was two deep and Agholor made a double move to get open. The last play was zero coverage.

If Gase really was the one who fired GW which is what has been reported, that would be very concerning to me and it should be concerning to every other Jet fan as well.

Having the power to fire someone, would lead me to believe that if Gase, who should be dead man walking and feel fortunate he still has a job as he's been so abysmal at it, still has the power to fire someone, could mean that Gase has enough trust from the Johnson's, that he might still have enough clout with the Johnson's, that him getting canned after the season isn't a sure thing.

The only thing that gives me pause to these terrifying thoughts going on in my head, is that the Jets consistently do things ### backwards with the classic case in point letting Maccagnon go shopping two years ago at the draft, spending zillions on FA's and than getting fired a week later.

So it's #### like this where tho things may look like on the surface that things look one way that Gase still has clout, in reality because the Jets are so dysfunctional and the way the decision making process is set up with both the coach and GM reporting separately to ownership, the reality is quite likely 180 degrees different.

Let's just hope and pray this GW firing was a one off and that Gase will still be saying sayanora after the season ends because the alternative of the Johnson's keeping Gase on is absolutely terrifying and one which I don't even want to get into it's so distressing....🤯

Also, if this was not directly noted, I have been rooting for the Jets to lose these games. 

I was famously anti-tank here in 2017 but I am all for it this year since the head coach is a goner (or should be) and there is a clear #1 choice at quarterback. Neither of those things were on the table three years ago.

If Gase really was the one who fired GW which is what has been reported, that would be very concerning to me and it should be concerning to every other Jet fan as well.

Having the power to fire someone, would lead me to believe that if Gase, who should be dead man walking and feel fortunate he still has a job as he's been so abysmal at it, still has the power to fire someone, could mean that Gase has enough trust from the Johnson's, that he might still have enough clout with the Johnson's, that him getting canned after the season isn't a sure thing.

The only thing that gives me pause to these terrifying thoughts going on in my head, is that the Jets consistently do things ### backwards with the classic case in point letting Maccagnon go shopping two years ago at the draft, spending zillions on FA's and than getting fired a week later.

So it's #### like this where tho things may look like on the surface that things look one way that Gase still has clout, in reality because the Jets are so dysfunctional and the way the decision making process is set up with both the coach and GM reporting separately to ownership, the reality is quite likely 180 degrees different.

Let's just hope and pray this GW firing was a one off and that Gase will still be saying sayanora after the season ends because the alternative of the Johnson's keeping Gase on is absolutely terrifying and one which I don't even want to get into it's so distressing....🤯
Michael Kay said it best....if the Jets keep Gase they would face an angry mob with torches and pitchforks storming the castle....they will likely have fans in the stadiums in Fall 2021....there is no way they can sell a product post COVID coming off a 0-16 season with the most hated coach in the NFL....it would lead to massive cancellation of season tickets and empty stadium....they simply cant risk it.  Gase has to be gone on black Monday.  I dont care how much pull he has over Chris Johnson or excuses....its a business decision at this point even if they are too stupid to see it as a football decision.  

Yeah, Gase being able to fire Williams doesn't really concern me. He's the head coach and he fired an assistant. That's the way things work.

There's no chance they're going to keep Gase, but they can't come out and say it. So they have to keep up appearances (as embarrassing as it is) so that they can attract the best possible candidates a month from now.

They dont want the message to be that the GM can fire assistants without the HC's input.  That sends a bad message to the elite HC candidates that are going to want the freedom to build and manage their own staff. (part of the reason they've scared off some other candidates in the past, which can't happen again)

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend of mine just sent me an interview that the Post's Brian Costello had with Moose and Maggie on WFAN and after listening too it, I feel a bit better and somewhat relieved.

Apparently it was a "one off" as I eluded to in my previous comment as GW had to be fired as the players were done with him and there would be no way in hell GW could ever face his players  again after what happened Sunday.

And it could only be Gase who could do the firing to at least give the appearances that there was a semblance of order in the Jet hierarchy and how things are done so as to not turn off any prospective head coaches the Jets might want to hire going forward.

So that Costello interview,  a guy by the way I respect and who knows his #### when it comes to the Jets unlike some dude name "Manish Metta"(lol), combined with the replies from you guys, allows me to wipe the sweat off my forehead and simply say "phew" that Gase will undoubtedly be gonzo come the end of the season and this was no vote of confidence for Gase but a "one off" type of decision.

Thanks for helping me off the ledge fellas...lol

Kiddnets said:
Michael Kay said it best....if the Jets keep Gase they would face an angry mob with torches and pitchforks storming the castle....they will likely have fans in the stadiums in Fall 2021....there is no way they can sell a product post COVID coming off a 0-16 season with the most hated coach in the NFL....it would lead to massive cancellation of season tickets and empty stadium....they simply cant risk it.  Gase has to be gone on black Monday.  I dont care how much pull he has over Chris Johnson or excuses....its a business decision at this point even if they are too stupid to see it as a football decision.  
I agree. As dumb as the Johnsons may be, they can’t be that dumb.

Im also not seeing what’s the big deal with a HC being able to fire one of his assistants - that seems normal and doesn’t suggest any significant powers within the organization.

I agree. As dumb as the Johnsons may be, they can’t be that dumb.

Im also not seeing what’s the big deal with a HC being able to fire one of his assistants - that seems normal and doesn’t suggest any significant powers within the organization.
The more I think about it - it makes sense to let Gase say he fired GWill....he gets to take the heat and it shows coaches out there that even if you suck you still have control of your staff.....something that they didnt do when hiring.  

The Gase watch will be on the second the last game ends.....Im hoping it will be like Kotite where on the day of the last game he will announce that he's "not fired nor quitting...he's stepping aside"  lol still dont know what that means!  

We need an updated confidence meter for this week.....all this rooting for losing is making me exhausted!!!

On a scale of one to five of being scared of winning:

Seattle - 1/5  scared of winning - could you imagine if they win this one?  I have confidence that they will lose....by a lot....I really wish the Jags would win more so we could root to see Jamal's face giving the Jets their 1st win  - but ala the tank takes priority....no way they beat Wilson/Carrol when Seattle really needs the game.  

LA Rams - 2/5  scared of winning  - Pretty confident as they are a solid all around team and need the game as well.....but Goff is the wild card.  He can be bad and when he is the entire team plays awful....still pretty confident

Cleveland - 3/5 scared of winning -  feel a lot better after watching them destroy a solid Tenn team....but I just dont trust Baker and the Cleveland curse...

Pats - 4/5 scared of winning - Still have this one circled....yes Pats are playing better - just pasted the Chargers.....but they are 2 games behind the WC so unless things break for them the next 3 weeks there is a very good chance they have nothing to play for....except to screw over their most hated franchise ...fully expect the backups to be in full force.  

We need an updated confidence meter for this week.....all this rooting for losing is making me exhausted!!!

On a scale of one to five of being scared of winning:

Seattle - 1/5  scared of winning - could you imagine if they win this one?  I have confidence that they will lose....by a lot....I really wish the Jags would win more so we could root to see Jamal's face giving the Jets their 1st win  - but ala the tank takes priority....no way they beat Wilson/Carrol when Seattle really needs the game.  

LA Rams - 2/5  scared of winning  - Pretty confident as they are a solid all around team and need the game as well.....but Goff is the wild card.  He can be bad and when he is the entire team plays awful....still pretty confident

Cleveland - 3/5 scared of winning -  feel a lot better after watching them destroy a solid Tenn team....but I just dont trust Baker and the Cleveland curse...

Pats - 4/5 scared of winning - Still have this one circled....yes Pats are playing better - just pasted the Chargers.....but they are 2 games behind the WC so unless things break for them the next 3 weeks there is a very good chance they have nothing to play for....except to screw over their most hated franchise ...fully expect the backups to be in full force.  
I gave my revised "scare rankings" this past Monday but for your purposes, I'll do it your method:

My revised "scare rankings" now that the Raiders are out of the way and who were in my rankings I did last week just behind the Browns and it proved to be correct as that was a damn close call and way too close for comfort,  would be in order:

4/5 Cleveland. I don't give a hoot that Baker had probably his best game as a pro this past week, he has some Fitzpatrick in him and can implode at any given time. And last I checked that franchise is still cursed despite their great season thus far. This game is the one that terrifies me the most of any of the remaining four.

3/5 Patriots. I've gone over infinitum that the Belichek hatred of Jets factor could come into play and it's concerning. What gives me pause tho and a bit of confidence that despite the hatred of the Jets, Bill simply doesn't bench starters whether he has home field all thru the playoffs or not. It's just not in his DNA to do so. Also the Pats winning and staying in playoff hunt lessons my worry significantly. I'm just a paranoid mofo like most Jet fans and just the thought of Bill benching his best players too screw the Jets and not have to deal with Trevor Lawrence twice a year for the next decade still is in the back of my head. 

2/5 Rams. The only thing that prevents me from thinking this game would be a blowout is because Jared Goff, just like Baker, can sometimes turn into Ryan Fitzpatrick as well in a flash withought warning and being a TO machine. The Rams tho are pretty loaded tho on both sides of the ball and so even if Goff threw a few picks, the Rams are so much better and more talented than the Jets, they'd very likely win handily anyways.

1/5 Seattle. If this game doesn't end up 45-17 or something along those lines with Russell tossing 4 TD's, it would be shocking too me. Seahawks come into this game pissed off and angry and frankly desperate for a win. There is no chance Seattle takes the Jets lightly and so I anticipate this game to be close to over by half time. Oh and Jamal will want to stick it to the Jets just a tad and so if I were Mims, Perriman, Crowder or any Jet skill position player, I'd be on the lookout for #33 on Sunday as he's going to be a heat seeking missle with dishing out pain very much on his mind.

Soooo tho it was the "same old Jets" last Sunday vs Raiders, the positive is that had the Jets won I'm also 1000% convinced we could have kissed Trevor Lawrence goodbye.

The Jags despite how competitive they've been lately and they should be commended, with a remaining schedule of the Titans, Ravens, Bears and Colts, they aint winning another game this season either. Yeah the Bears game worries me a tad but the Bears should be able to take care of business.

It's going to be nerve racking but Jets dodged a bigtime bullet vs Raiders and with this daunting schedule we have upcoming down the stretch, it really would be shocking and I do mean shocking if we didn't end up with the #1 overall. 

I gave my revised "scare rankings" this past Monday but for your purposes, I'll do it your method:

My revised "scare rankings" now that the Raiders are out of the way and who were in my rankings I did last week just behind the Browns and it proved to be correct as that was a damn close call and way too close for comfort,  would be in order:

4/5 Cleveland. I don't give a hoot that Baker had probably his best game as a pro this past week, he has some Fitzpatrick in him and can implode at any given time. And last I checked that franchise is still cursed despite their great season thus far. This game is the one that terrifies me the most of any of the remaining four.

3/5 Patriots. I've gone over infinitum that the Belichek hatred of Jets factor could come into play and it's concerning. What gives me pause tho and a bit of confidence that despite the hatred of the Jets, Bill simply doesn't bench starters whether he has home field all thru the playoffs or not. It's just not in his DNA to do so. Also the Pats winning and staying in playoff hunt lessons my worry significantly. I'm just a paranoid mofo like most Jet fans and just the thought of Bill benching his best players too screw the Jets and not have to deal with Trevor Lawrence twice a year for the next decade still is in the back of my head. 

2/5 Rams. The only thing that prevents me from thinking this game would be a blowout is because Jared Goff, just like Baker, can sometimes turn into Ryan Fitzpatrick as well in a flash withought warning and being a TO machine. The Rams tho are pretty loaded tho on both sides of the ball and so even if Goff threw a few picks, the Rams are so much better and more talented than the Jets, they'd very likely win handily anyways.

1/5 Seattle. If this game doesn't end up 45-17 or something along those lines with Russell tossing 4 TD's, it would be shocking too me. Seahawks come into this game pissed off and angry and frankly desperate for a win. There is no chance Seattle takes the Jets lightly and so I anticipate this game to be close to over by half time. Oh and Jamal will want to stick it to the Jets just a tad and so if I were Mims, Perriman, Crowder or any Jet skill position player, I'd be on the lookout for #33 on Sunday as he's going to be a heat seeking missle with dishing out pain very much on his mind.

Soooo tho it was the "same old Jets" last Sunday vs Raiders, the positive is that had the Jets won I'm also 1000% convinced we could have kissed Trevor Lawrence goodbye.

The Jags despite how competitive they've been lately and they should be commended, with a remaining schedule of the Titans, Ravens, Bears and Colts, they aint winning another game this season either. Yeah the Bears game worries me a tad but the Bears should be able to take care of business.

It's going to be nerve racking but Jets dodged a bigtime bullet vs Raiders and with this daunting schedule we have upcoming down the stretch, it really would be shocking and I do mean shocking if we didn't end up with the #1 overall. 
good stuff - looks like we are all in agreement that we "should" be able to relax this Sunday....although it will stink to have Jamal whooping it up while kicking the Jets while they are down...

the last 3 will be a wild ride though - closest thing to playoff nerves we've had in a decade lol

good stuff - looks like we are all in agreement that we "should" be able to relax this Sunday....although it will stink to have Jamal whooping it up while kicking the Jets while they are down...

the last 3 will be a wild ride though - closest thing to playoff nerves we've had in a decade lol
You know it's 2020 when not only are we Jets fans rooting for them to lose out, but also rooting for the Pats to win out so that week 17 is meaningful to them.

Mims had to go to Texas for a family emergency - may not be able to make it back in time for Sunday with Covid restrictions, so that's one fewer weapon.

Overall, I feel a bit dirty rooting for the Jets to lose. Not really in my DNA to do that, although there's no upside to winning a couple of games. In a perfect world, I'd like to see them go 1-15 and the Jags go 2-14 so at least the Jets won't go down in history as among the few winless teams. We've done 1-15 before and it's not as memorable.

Actually and I know it's easy to forget but the last time any of us felt nerves like the ones we are feeling now, was that magic carpet ride we went on in Bowles first year when we won those 5 in a row highlighted by those OT wins over the Giants and Patriots to get to 10-5. As we all know,  the Jets did what they normally do and broke our hearts with that devastating loss to the Bills with the playoffs staring us square in the face when "Fitzmagic" turned into "Fitztragic" that day in Buffalo with Rex dancing off the field making it even worse.

So yeah, it really does feel like over a decade ago tho it was just 5 years ago, the last time the Jets were relevant. Now we are so irrelevant, we are actually relevant in this absolutely bizzarro world season we as a fan base are all going thru.

You know it's 2020 when not only are we Jets fans rooting for them to lose out, but also rooting for the Pats to win out so that week 17 is meaningful to them.

Mims had to go to Texas for a family emergency - may not be able to make it back in time for Sunday with Covid restrictions, so that's one fewer weapon.

Overall, I feel a bit dirty rooting for the Jets to lose. Not really in my DNA to do that, although there's no upside to winning a couple of games. In a perfect world, I'd like to see them go 1-15 and the Jags go 2-14 so at least the Jets won't go down in history as among the few winless teams. We've done 1-15 before and it's not as memorable.
Definitely a strange year!  

I really don't feel bad at all and I hope they go zero wins...complete rock bottom is needed to embarrass the ownership on how awful they have been running this team.  It's the only way to ensure Gase is gone and hopefully get the Johnsons to make some real changes like letting Douglas be in charge.  

Definitely a strange year!  

I really don't feel bad at all and I hope they go zero wins...complete rock bottom is needed to embarrass the ownership on how awful they have been running this team.  It's the only way to ensure Gase is gone and hopefully get the Johnsons to make some real changes like letting Douglas be in charge.  
Can't argue with that logic. There's no way even with this ownership that they can bring back an 0-16 coaching staff. At least Douglas should be safe with the strong draft he had.

In the past few years, I have "rooted" for the Jets to lose to better their draft position. But it wasn't a full on emotional effort. It was kinda like "ok, great, we're losing. Hopefully we'll pick 3rd instead of 6th"

This year....I'm rooting against them like I'd be rooting FOR them in a playoff game. Uncontrolled reactions when they give up big plays, fist pumps and audible "Yeah Baby!!!"s when they give up a score, lots of cursing when something "good" happens.

Does it feel a LITTLE dirty? Maybe. But it will all be worth it if they finish the job.

At least my fantasy team is good :shrug: 10-3 and the # 1 seed.  Led by Mahomes, Henry and Jefferson.

In the past few years, I have "rooted" for the Jets to lose to better their draft position. But it wasn't a full on emotional effort. It was kinda like "ok, great, we're losing. Hopefully we'll pick 3rd instead of 6th"

This year....I'm rooting against them like I'd be rooting FOR them in a playoff game. Uncontrolled reactions when they give up big plays, fist pumps and audible "Yeah Baby!!!"s when they give up a score, lots of cursing when something "good" happens.

Does it feel a LITTLE dirty? Maybe. But it will all be worth it if they finish the job.
Oh, don't get my wrong - my boys and I were whooping and hollering when Ruggs scored. I took a shower and then starting whooping and hollering again.

Pierre Desir is the Jets nominee for Walter Payton Man of the Year.

Awkward.

-QG
I mean....the Browns nominated Garrett, so.....

I know he's done a ton of charity work, especially with a clean water initiative in Africa. But still.....

Took a look at overthecap this am - take a look at the list of dead cap casualties....$50M!!!!  almost 25% of the cap...only 2 other teams are at $50M - JAx and Car - both with poor records....ll other teams are below $35M - so not even close....

Pretty good indicator of the awful job signing players by Mac and a big part of why they are in the hole they are in...and its not over as there is still $15M of dead money on the books for next year already.....this is a list of horrors!

Dead Money

Name Cap Number

Le'Veon Bell$15,062,500

Quincy Enunwa$11,878,588

Trumaine Johnson$4,000,000

Avery Williamson$3,622,243

Jamal Adams$3,582,056

Pierre Desir$3,531,250

Steve McLendon$1,704,793

Jachai Polite$841,854

Chris Hogan$825,000

Quincy Wilson$662,458

Josh Bellamy$450,000

Jordan Willis$356,279

Josh Andrews$337,500

Alec Ogletree$247,059

Nate Hairston$235,294

Marqui Christian$176,471

Lamar Jackson$170,282

Ross Travis$168,529

Josh Adams$163,835

Mike White$158,824

Jimmy Murray$158,823

Bryce Hager$155,058

Josh Malone$132,353

Kalen Ballage$132,353

James Burgess$100,000

David Fales$100,000

TOTAL$50,495,710

Took a look at overthecap this am - take a look at the list of dead cap casualties....$50M!!!!  almost 25% of the cap...only 2 other teams are at $50M - JAx and Car - both with poor records....ll other teams are below $35M - so not even close....

Pretty good indicator of the awful job signing players by Mac and a big part of why they are in the hole they are in...and its not over as there is still $15M of dead money on the books for next year already.....this is a list of horrors!

Dead Money

Name Cap Number

Le'Veon Bell$15,062,500

Quincy Enunwa$11,878,588

Trumaine Johnson$4,000,000

Avery Williamson$3,622,243

Jamal Adams$3,582,056

Pierre Desir$3,531,250

Steve McLendon$1,704,793

Jachai Polite$841,854

Chris Hogan$825,000

Quincy Wilson$662,458

Josh Bellamy$450,000

Jordan Willis$356,279

Josh Andrews$337,500

Alec Ogletree$247,059

Nate Hairston$235,294

Marqui Christian$176,471

Lamar Jackson$170,282

Ross Travis$168,529

Josh Adams$163,835

Mike White$158,824

Jimmy Murray$158,823

Bryce Hager$155,058

Josh Malone$132,353

Kalen Ballage$132,353

James Burgess$100,000

David Fales$100,000

TOTAL$50,495,710
had to double check that I wasn't on this list and had a check coming my way

-QG

Hey there Jets fans. Your team lines up against Seattle this week. Do the Jets have the capacity to play two deep safeties and stifle Wilson, Lockett, and Metcalf this week? The Seattle faithful are hoping to see Carson get a ton of carries again. I'm happy to see the shift away from all the "Let Russ cook" mantra. That just felt selfish and lame. 

Any perspective on what could lead to a Jets win?

Hey there Jets fans. Your team lines up against Seattle this week. Do the Jets have the capacity to play two deep safeties and stifle Wilson, Lockett, and Metcalf this week? The Seattle faithful are hoping to see Carson get a ton of carries again. I'm happy to see the shift away from all the "Let Russ cook" mantra. That just felt selfish and lame. 

Any perspective on what could lead to a Jets win?
I personally dont see any way the Jets win this one....Seattle needs the win bad and the Jets have to be decimated after last week's disaster....Jets have a solid running defense so it should be a big day for Wilson...no chance the Jet cbs can keep up with Metcalf and Lockett.....I also can see Carson getting most of his yards in the air as well....

Pretty funny that the Daily News finally got around to canning Mehta. Dude lost his media credentials with the team weeks ago but they kept publishing stories as if it didnt happen. So bizarre Wonder who that dude had pictures of.

I mean, how big of a doosh do you have to be when Rich freaking Cimini is considered the "cool" Jets beat writer?

Pretty funny that the Daily News finally got around to canning Mehta. Dude lost his media credentials with the team weeks ago but they kept publishing stories as if it didnt happen. So bizarre Wonder who that dude had pictures of.

I mean, how big of a doosh do you have to be when Rich freaking Cimini is the "cool" Jets beat writer?
Mehta was always a jerk but the allegations of him stalking Joe Douglas' kid is a new low.....rumor has it that there will be an article coming out on him which forced their hand.....

I find the Jets a fascinating study over time. They've been abysmal for so long. In my opinion the differences in franchises is so small that tiny factors can lead to different outcomes over a giant sample size. So what's the biggest long term factor? I always end up back at ownership. Curious to know if Jets fans will agree with me. 

I'm not convinced I'm right about the ownership factor being "it". The other things like having a franchise QB, stability at the head coach position,  getting lucky in the draft, etc, all have to play a role. 

What would the NFL look like over time if all the teams were completely equal? I guess most fans would end up at all the teams playing 8-8 over a 16 game season. I don't believe that's the truth. I believe the NFL would look like a binomial distribution in the long run. If you went through the NFL season and flipped a coin on every game for an outcome you would have some team finish with 13 or 14 wins, and others finishing with 2 or 3 wins, and this is with all outcomes equally likely. 

Final random thought here. I listened to Urban Meyer talk about NFL rosters this past week. He made the argument that every NFL player is good, and only need the right conditions to thrive. I tend to agree with him. I think ownership and coaching play a much larger role in the long run than most fans will admit. I think most fans look at the outcome only and give far too much credit to the players. 

Final random thought here. I listened to Urban Meyer talk about NFL rosters this past week. He made the argument that every NFL player is good, and only need the right conditions to thrive. I tend to agree with him. I think ownership and coaching play a much larger role in the long run than most fans will admit. I think most fans look at the outcome only and give far too much credit to the players. 
HOOPER!!!!  :hey:

As an uneducated Browns fan, I feel like I have some experience in this area and your thoughts above, while made discussing the Jets, applies very well to the Browns. Local radio actually brought it up this morning and I think if you went back and looked you'd see that a few, not many, but a few former Browns players have gone on to have some varying degrees of success after leaving what, up until this year, has been an atrocious Cleveland organization from the top down. Emmanuel Ogbah was the example they used but there are a few others floating around.

Users who are viewing this thread