What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (2 Viewers)

Why does this club keep spending capital on the Rodgers replacement when they could be building around him? Horrible.

they get run over by the 49ers. Patrick Queen staring them in the face.  Rodgers has no one other than adams to throw too - a ton of receivers on the board. They go qb. A qb that will do nothing to solve those problems.

i am in shock.

I need to go eat a steamin' pile of crap to try and get this horrible first round pick taste out of my mouth.

I can’t believe I’m saying this but I want TT back.  Such a terrible terrible pick.  May as well trade Rodgers. Loves riding the pine and they’ll have to pay him before they know if he’s any good or not.  So angry right now. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My issue with it is if GB was a fringe playoff team I wouldn’t mind but damn they were in the NFC championship game with clear holes at WR and the middle of the defense.  I couple of key picks and who knows.  Why not add missing pieces and take a shot?  

Come on back off the ledge, guys. We might look back one day on this being an inspired pick. If you're going to swing for the fences, do it for a toolsy gunslinger. Lots of good players left in this draft to fill our temporary needs..

Come on back off the ledge, guys. We might look back one day on this being an inspired pick. If you're going to swing for the fences, do it for a toolsy gunslinger. Lots of good players left in this draft to fill our temporary needs..
A toolsy gunslinger who has poor accuracy and reads defenses at a high school level. He had so many throws on tape you'd be embarrassed to see a practice squad guy make. He basically needs to be taught from the ground up. Love went about 2 rounds earlier than he should.

When they traded up, I thought for sure it was for Queen, which I wouldn't have loved, but would have been a ton better.

I don't hate Love.  The way he plays can be very exciting and frustrating.  Almost Favre-like and has some great natural skills.  So I agree it could really pay off.  I just don't like the swing for the fence QB pick right now.  But I also hated the Rodgers pick at the time too.   So maybe hating this pick right now is a really good thing.    

I love the Love pick.  They get a year to work with this kid and decide if he’s the heir. It’s possible they’ve locked down the QB position for another decade, which would be fantastic.  

I love the Love pick.  They get a year to work with this kid and decide if he’s the heir. It’s possible they’ve locked down the QB position for another decade, which would be fantastic.  
I wish I could have your enthusiasm.  The problem though is Rodgers contract.  If they trade or cut him it’s an 21 million cap hit in 2020, 20 million in 2021 and 17 million in 2022.  So is Love really going to ride the pine for 3 years?  If so then he’ll be a starter for 1 year before they’d have to sign him to a big contract or trade him. I guess they could do a 5th year option but I doubt that would work. The monster Rodgers contract is what makes this an incredibly stupid pick.

I wish I could have your enthusiasm.  The problem though is Rodgers contract.  If they trade or cut him it’s an 21 million cap hit in 2020, 20 million in 2021 and 17 million in 2022.  So is Love really going to ride the pine for 3 years?  If so then he’ll be a starter for 1 year before they’d have to sign him to a big contract or trade him. I guess they could do a 5th year option but I doubt that would work. The monster Rodgers contract is what makes this an incredibly stupid pick.
I’ve been worried about Rodgers’ successor for two years now. You never want to be looking for a quarterback when you urgently need one. That’s what leads to giving up 5 draft picks for John Hadl. What are the odds #12 plays better next season than he did last season or the year before?  He still flashes that incredible talent from time to time, but his body is failing and he’s on the downside. I can’t imagine him playing 3 more seasons. If there’s even a 1 in 5 chance this kid is a ten year starter, we make this pick and throw in a 4th without a second thought. 

A toolsy gunslinger who has poor accuracy and reads defenses at a high school level. He had so many throws on tape you'd be embarrassed to see a practice squad guy make. He basically needs to be taught from the ground up. Love went about 2 rounds earlier than he should.

When they traded up, I thought for sure it was for Queen, which I wouldn't have loved, but would have been a ton better.
I think his crap offensive line exacerbated many of the wrinkles in his game, all of which can be ironed out with time and development, two things he'll get plenty of before seeing any action. You can't iron out a weak arm. I'm not doing cartwheels over the pick like I was when Rodgers dropped to them, but I'm intrigued, to say the least. This guy's got an impressive arsenal of skills, tailor-made for the modern game, at the premier position. Again, if you're going to swing for the fences, this is the type of player you do it for, IMO. And I'm assuming the people getting paid for making these kinds of franchise-changing decisions did a lot of tire-kicking of all the players available at this point in the draft before coming to a consensus. I assumed he'd already be picked by the time the Packers were on the clock, and saying he went "2 rounds earlier than he should" seems absurd to me. But time will tell. We've been pretty lucky picking QBs for the past few decades, here's hoping this guy is the next big thing.

I’ve been worried about Rodgers’ successor for two years now. You never want to be looking for a quarterback when you urgently need one. That’s what leads to giving up 5 draft picks for John Hadl. What are the odds #12 plays better next season than he did last season or the year before?  He still flashes that incredible talent from time to time, but his body is failing and he’s on the downside. I can’t imagine him playing 3 more seasons. If there’s even a 1 in 5 chance this kid is a ten year starter, we make this pick and throw in a 4th without a second thought. 

Again though if they were planning on finding his successor this early why did they sign him to that monster extension?They didn’t need to do that and now that’s looking like a monumental mistake.

Also I fully expect to struggle for a year or two when a hall of fame QB retires.  I’d rather go all in and try to get him a 2nd ring as opposed to finding his replacement when he still has 4 years left on his contact and he virtually uncuttable and untradeable due to the cap hit.

When Rodgers leaves there is going to be a period of bad seasons and it’s okay, it’s normal. Get the salary cap in order, ahead bad contracts and take the cap hits while you are bad. Get a few top ten, even top 5 picks and look for the next qb then.

This is a team one win from the Super Bowl. You go all in during this two year window. What do they do? Sign Devin Funchess and draft a player that won’t play during the window. 

Ridiculous.

I feel for you Packer fans. Seems to me that the Love pick has little positives and a basket full of negatives. Rodgers attitude will be impacted and the honeymoon with the new staff is over. Rodgers already was out of sync with his receivers, except Adams and instead of adding another, he has the QB. Do not see him being any better of a mentor than Favre was for him.

Also I fully expect to struggle for a year or two when a hall of fame QB retires.  I’d rather go all in and try to get him a 2nd ring as opposed to finding his replacement when he still has 4 years left on his contact and he virtually uncuttable and untradeable due to the cap hit.
Yeah...thinking we are going to hit again and just have some continuity and it will all work out seems like a very bad strategy.

Especially feeling like they are close enough to compete for a title.  Lets let it play out and see how the rest of the draft goes...but a talent like Patrick Queen vs a maybe QB in a few years...not a fan.  Couple that with Gary being a project from last year and even the 2018 draft results...and Gute better start getting more done than just bringing in free agents.

Jordan Love vs LSU = 15/30 130 yards 0 TD 3 INT

You can be optimistic and rose colored glasses all you want, but loving this pick is a joke. They gave up a 4th rounder. Green Bay could've waited with(Queen, 3 OT, Mims/Higgins, Baun, Love) on the board.

Drafting a QB to sit on the bench for 2/3 years is something you do in later rounds or if a great talent somehow falls. Not for a QB that threw 20 TD vs 17 INT at Utah State last year.

Can't see him playing for 3 more years....Brees and Brady are still going strong into their 40's. This all but guarantees the end of Rodgers sooner rather than later. Causes a divide not only with Rodgers, but also other vets on the team.

This feels like Jerry Krause...

Jordan Love vs LSU = 15/30 130 yards 0 TD 3 INT

You can be optimistic and rose colored glasses all you want, but loving this pick is a joke. They gave up a 4th rounder. Green Bay could've waited with(Queen, 3 OT, Mims/Higgins, Baun, Love) on the board.

Drafting a QB to sit on the bench for 2/3 years is something you do in later rounds or if a great talent somehow falls. Not for a QB that threw 20 TD vs 17 INT at Utah State last year.
I don’t love the pick, in fact I think it’s insane with qbs playing effectively into their 40s now, but posting his stats vs LSU is really unfair. That was one of the best college teams in the last 15 years and he was playing for Utah freaking State. 

I don’t love the pick, in fact I think it’s insane with qbs playing effectively into their 40s now, but posting his stats vs LSU is really unfair. That was one of the best college teams in the last 15 years and he was playing for Utah freaking State. 
I didn't clarify, which I should have. If you "love" the pick....that shouldn't be the stat line. 

66.4 QB rating....the 3rd worst(Georgia Southern and Texas A&M were worse) vs LSU last year of FBS schools.

What other capital was spent on a replacement though?
The trade for Kizer. The move up to draft the UCLA kid, I forget his name at the moment, prior to that. I'm in the camp that feels a lot of Rodgers' years were wasted by not looking at immediate needs over trying to find his successor.

I like Rodgers and Green Bay. And this has nothing for me to do with Jordan Love.

I absolutely hate this pick. I heard the buzz this week they'd consider a QB on Thursday and thought it was just pure talk. 

Hate it here.

Can you imagine Tampa taking a QB in round 1? Incredible. 
I don't understand the reference to Tampa Bay. Are the Buccaneers a measuring stick the Packers should strive for?  They are drafting for the future, as they've always done.  You only need one hand (and probably not even your thumb) to count the teams more successful than the Packers over the past 20 years and this is an example of that philosophy.  Not panic-drafting for short term needs, but taking a shot at locking down the most important position for the next decade. 

The trade for Kizer. The move up to draft the UCLA kid, I forget his name at the moment, prior to that. I'm in the camp that feels a lot of Rodgers' years were wasted by not looking at immediate needs over trying to find his successor.
They swapped picks for Kizer and gave up Demarius Randall...that isn't really much draft capital there.

Hundley...5th rounder...again...meh.  

That isn't really much capital at all for possible backups.

Not sure what needs were not looked at while trying to find a successor until this year.  This year, that is certainly valid.  Prior to that...no, I don't think much was used to try to find any successor...but for a backup.

I don't understand the reference to Tampa Bay. Are the Buccaneers a measuring stick the Packers should strive for?  They are drafting for the future, as they've always done.  You only need one hand (and probably not even your thumb) to count the teams more successful than the Packers over the past 20 years and this is an example of that philosophy.  Not panic-drafting for short term needs, but taking a shot at locking down the most important position for the next decade. 
The Tampa reference is pretty easy to understand. Teams with older qbs that are in hyper win-now mode. 

btw over the last 20 years the Bucs and Pack have the same exact amount of Super Bowls. 

Except they are in a championship window and did nothing to help.  I’d argue with 3 decades of hall of fame QB play and only 2 Super Bowl victory’s this front office underachieved.  Yes they did well to get those guys but for the most part didn’t take it to the next level to put them over the top.  This is mainly a criticism of TT but even Wolf has admitted his bigges regret was not giving Favre more help later in his career.

Except they are in a championship window and did nothing to help.  I’d argue with 3 decades of hall of fame QB play and only 2 Super Bowl victory’s this front office underachieved.  Yes they did well to get those guys but for the most part didn’t take it to the next level to put them over the top.  This is mainly a criticism of TT but even Wolf has admitted his bigges regret was not giving Favre more help later in his career.
They have 6 more rounds and free agency to add short-term help for this season, whatever this season is going to be.  Of course the pick could bust, just as Aaron Rodgers could have busted 15 years ago.  I personally love seeing a GM with the balls to do something like this - stick to his board and even move up to get the player he wants, knowing full well he will suffer for it.  Thompson did the same, and honestly never recovered from it, despite being vindicated 10X over.

It's funny reading some comments here. When Aaron Rodgers was drafted, people were calling it the worst pick and how Favre should ask to be traded and so on. Oh how soon some people forget. Aaron Rodgers is, actually, older than Brett Favre when they drafted Rodgers. It's a good pick and if Love does what Rodgers did... well.

They have 6 more rounds and free agency to add short-term help for this season, whatever this season is going to be.  Of course the pick could bust, just as Aaron Rodgers could have busted 15 years ago.  I personally love seeing a GM with the balls to do something like this - stick to his board and even move up to get the player he wants, knowing full well he will suffer for it.  Thompson did the same, and honestly never recovered from it, despite being vindicated 10X over.
Agree to disagree.  TT drafting Rodgers was vastly different than what happened last night.  I’m just mad because they are in their window and the other NFCs added immediate help for the 2020 season and GB did not.  Yes the Packers have 6 more rounds to improve next years squad....so does everyone else.  

If Rodgers had 1 or 2 years left I’d completely agree with you but he has 4 left on his contract.  That’s a long time to groom a replacement.

There's at least a half dozen WRs left in this class that could be solid players.  And while the LB/DL depth isn't fantastic, there are still some quality players out there.

Genuinely curious to hear from all sides of the Jordan Love pick coin....if the Pack grab a WR and front 7 help today, does that in any way change your take on the Love pick?

Users who are viewing this thread