Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

The Clay Mathews “Roughing” Call...


Stinkin Ref

Recommended Posts

A play identical to the call on Matthews happened in the 1st quarter of the Cowboys/Seahawks game today. The Cowboy making the sack was flagged for it.

I really don't think we need a special rule to exempt Clay Matthews from the rule just because he's on a lot of commercials. If the rule stinks, change it. While the rule stays, Matthews has to adjust. He isn't getting screwed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, fatness said:

A play identical to the call on Matthews happened in the 1st quarter of the Cowboys/Seahawks game today. The Cowboy making the sack was flagged for it.

I really don't think we need a special rule to exempt Clay Matthews from the rule just because he's on a lot of commercials. If the rule stinks, change it. While the rule stays, Matthews has to adjust. He isn't getting screwed.

I guess Matthews needs to just shove the QB as hard as he can and hope he somehow goes down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Underachievers said:

Getting to the point where the NFL should suspend Clay before he seriously injures a QB.

It is impossible to get injured with the last two hits he was flagged for.  Cousins got destroyed 3 times today from the side..but they were I huess what you would call legal  hits.

 

And I hate GB!!

Edited by Da Guru
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mr.Pack said:

 

19 minutes ago, fatness said:

A play identical to the call on Matthews happened in the 1st quarter of the Cowboys/Seahawks game today. The Cowboy making the sack was flagged for it.

I really don't think we need a special rule to exempt Clay Matthews from the rule just because he's on a lot of commercials. If the rule stinks, change it. While the rule stays, Matthews has to adjust. He isn't getting screwed.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These roughing calls are so ####### stupid, I’m getting fed up with the NFL.

Today was my first day watching football all day for the first time this year, and some of this is so annoying. If you’re going to pay QBs $20+MM a season, getting hit is something they’re going to have to deal with. Can’t him low, high, land on them - how are you supposed to tackle them? Just put a flag on the QB and be done with it.

Just my .02.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

 

If he was serious about not hurting QBs, he would just do what the NFL wants and learn to levitate. It's obvious that that is what the NFL expects, and by not doing it, he's the dirtiest player out there.

Dr. Nefario made some antigravity potion, although I think it might be on the banned substance list.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Da Guru said:
38 minutes ago, fatness said:

Just Matthews?

Whoever...this is worse than the catch rule as it is not even reviewable. Matthews made a great play and safe tackle...no good.

I don't like the rule, but the idea that Matthews is being picked on is silly.

Again, did anyone see the sack for which the Cowboys were flagged in the first Q against the Seahawks? Nearly identical to the play Matthews was flagged on. Flag was thrown.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mr.Pack said:

Exactly.  Which play looked more like a penalty?

Let's face it, 2 things were going on today:

1) Clay is on the NFL's radar now, so he's basically screwed

2) the calls were one-sided against GB the entire day, always at critical moments.  Horrific, blatantly biased officiating all day.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, fatness said:

I don't like the rule, but the idea that Matthews is being picked on is silly.

Again, did anyone see the sack for which the Cowboys were flagged in the first Q against the Seahawks? Nearly identical to the play Matthews was flagged on. Flag was thrown.

Then why didn't the Redskin player get flagged for the play already linked here multiple times?  It was far far more egregious.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, fatness said:

I don't like the rule, but the idea that Matthews is being picked on is silly.

Again, did anyone see the sack for which the Cowboys were flagged in the first Q against the Seahawks? Nearly identical to the play Matthews was flagged on. Flag was thrown.

No..not being picked on at all.  I do not like Matthews or GB but really do not know what else he could do today,  Front on face to face tackle and turned his head and hit in the chest area.....where is he supposed to land?

Edited by Da Guru
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Exactly.  Which play looked more like a penalty?

Let's face it, 2 things were going on today:

1) Clay is on the NFL's radar now, so he's basically screwed

2) the calls were one-sided against GB the entire day, always at critical moments.  Horrific, blatantly biased officiating all day.

Please.  #2 is a bunch of BS.  GB played sloppy.  Their CBs can't cover without grabbing.  They can't run the ball.  Their WRs can't get open and dropped key passes.  And Rodgers is clearly hurt, so him dancing around while WRs can't get separation is a bad mix for an OL that ends up forced to hold on every play.  They are lucky the refs didn't throw twice the flags they did.

#1 is an awful rule by the NFL.  It should not have been called this week or last week.  And refs should take it into their own hands to err on the side of the defensive player.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Underachievers said:

Are fans going to stop whining when their QB is hit and lost for the season because  of a similar tackle?   

They are not lost for the season on those kinds of tackles. This rule will be adjusted soon.  Tony Dungy was all over it saying the rules has to be changed and it is impossible for defensive players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Buffaloes said:

Will the NFL outlaw scrambling qbs after garoppolos injury today?

The worst part about that play is the fact that he was surrounded by 5 Chiefs and the friendly sideline was right there. 

Just a stupid play. As a 49ers fan, I can’t complain about any rules on this play. All I can do is wonder wtf he was thinking.

Hmmm, here are 5 guys bigger, stronger, & more athletic than me... let’s see what happens if I don’t go out of bounds.

I’d assume he probably realized the flaws in his thought process instantly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, fantasycurse42 said:

The worst part about that play is the fact that he was surrounded by 5 Chiefs and the friendly sideline was right there. 

Just a stupid play. As a 49ers fan, I can’t complain about any rules on this play. All I can do is wonder wtf he was thinking.

Hmmm, here are 5 guys bigger, stronger, & more athletic than me... let’s see what happens if I don’t go out of bounds.

I’d assume he probably realized the flaws in his thought process instantly. 

Whatever the case, i'm sure the NFL will find a way to punish future defenses for it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Buffaloes said:

Whatever the case, i'm sure the NFL will find a way to punish future defenses for it

2 players within 3 yards of a QB, 5 yard penalty

3 players, 15 yards

4 players, ejection for closest player

5 players (like this play), instant forfeit for the team

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Brunell4MVP said:

Please.  #2 is a bunch of BS.  GB played sloppy.  Their CBs can't cover without grabbing.  They can't run the ball.  Their WRs can't get open and dropped key passes.  And Rodgers is clearly hurt, so him dancing around while WRs can't get separation is a bad mix for an OL that ends up forced to hold on every play.  They are lucky the refs didn't throw twice the flags they did.

#1 is an awful rule by the NFL.  It should not have been called this week or last week.  And refs should take it into their own hands to err on the side of the defensive player.

I agree 100% that they played horrible and deserved to lose.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Mr.Pack said:

The NFL is just embarrassing themselves at this point complete with excuses. Redskins player gets no call for picking up Rodgers, picking him up off his feet, flipping him around and slamming him to the ground and there's no call. NFL's response: um we missed that one, you lose game.

Last week's weak sauce was Clay Mathews lifted the QB up off the ground.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

No, evidently lots of people think it was a good call, and that the NFL isn't conspiring against Clay.

I just watched it like 3 tines. There’s nothing Matthews could have done to stop his momentum, he hit with the shoulder, it was a torso tackle - that gravity brought him down on top of the QB is just how physics works. There’s no way to avoid what happened there. That was as clean a tackle as can possibly be.

i don’t give 2 turds who says otherwise, including football talking heads. That was a terrible call. I’m capable of making that determination without the “argumentum ad populum” fallacy, thanks. 

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Again, the announcers, the booth ref, the talking heads in every NFL outlet that I have seen, agree it was a bad call. These are people that are closer to all things NFL than anyone on these boards and have nothing to gain by saying it was s bad call. Yet, all agree it was a bad call. 

It didn’t cost the Packers that game, terrible D, and dropped passes did that, but that call came at a bad time and certainly didn’t help. 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, The Claymaker said:

Again, the announcers, the booth ref, the talking heads in every NFL outlet that I have seen, agree it was a bad call. These are people that are closer to all things NFL than anyone on these boards and have nothing to gain by saying it was s bad call. Yet, all agree it was a bad call. 

It didn’t cost the Packers that game, terrible D, and dropped passes did that, but that call came at a bad time and certainly didn’t help. 

 

When Tony Dungy says it’s a bad call, that’s enough for me. One Dungy is worth 1000 Steven A Smiths. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...