What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Clay Mathews “Roughing” Call... (1 Viewer)

***BREAKING NEWS***

Clay Matthews has just been flagged for roughing the passer vs Buffalo.

Penalty to be assessed on the opening kickoff

The most egregious ever may be Ravens Tony Siragusa riding Rich Gannon to the ground like a hobby horse, giving him the hard shoulder, deliberately body slamming him, long after the throw was out.

It’s just such a cheap shot play, absolutely trying to hurt someone and literally nothing at all like what Matthews did. That’s what the NFL is trying to avoid, yet remarkably Siragusa was rewarded with a sideline job after retiring. Hell, I’m not sure the refs even threw a flag on that one.   :censored:

https://youtu.be/C__R2dGa6qs
I got kicked out of a bar in Baltimore for that hit. That was the AFC Championship up for grabs, and it was a crap hit then, and a crap hit now. 

But it wasn't what Matthews did.  

eta* And no, Siragusa was never flagged after chickenboning the QB.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I got kicked out of a bar in Baltimore for that hit. That was the AFC Championship up for grabs, and it was a crap hit then, and a crap hit now. 

But it wasn't what Matthews did.  

eta* And no, Siragusa was never flagged after chickenboning the QB.  
That’s what I’m sayin - Matthews should never have been penalized for that. Ridiculous. 

Seems the competition committee agreed becauee Thursday night was a well called game - and there were several QB hits. 

That’s what I’m sayin - Matthews should never have been penalized for that. Ridiculous. 

Seems the competition committee agreed becauee Thursday night was a well called game - and there were several QB hits. 
Yep, I caught that, because Siragusa's hit was of a totally different variety. He old-school chicken winged him, and I got booted from an establishment for protesting (rather loudly, actually; that was the year that Ray Lewis might have killed somebody. Totally ridiculous). B'More is a crazy place.  

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1046339627928494080?s=21

committee now says hit on Cousins wasn’t a penalty and hopefully this part is true-there won’t be as many roughing the passer penalty’s.
So the Packers will retroactively be rewarded the win, or is this like the non-call in S.F of the fumble, or the call in Seattle in the Fail Mary where the league screws the Packers and after the fact, but with no compensation, says, ooops. These mistakes cost playoff games, and maybe playoff runs and championships. That is a measurable economic value not to mention an emotional one. I want reparations!.  

I missed this part -- way to stick up for the team, love it!

I never really liked Siragusa -- respected his talent but thought he was overrated. This single play turned me from a detractor to an all-out hater. Always muted the TV/changed the channel when he was roaming the sidelines as a useless color/field reporter as I couldn't stand to look at his bloated ####.

I missed this part -- way to stick up for the team, love it!

I never really liked Siragusa -- respected his talent but thought he was overrated. This single play turned me from a detractor to an all-out hater. Always muted the TV/changed the channel when he was roaming the sidelines as a useless color/field reporter as I couldn't stand to look at his bloated ####.
Yeah, I was glad to do it. It was inordinately worth it. B'More is an interesting place, at best. A great used record store. Other than that...I lived there for four or five years in the 'burbs of B'More. Silver Spring. Actually, Laurel.   

On another note, Stompin' Tom, hit me up anytime. You should come back to the FFA. We miss guys like you over there. 

Yeah, I was glad to do it. It was inordinately worth it. B'More is an interesting place, at best. A great used record store. Other than that...I lived there for four or five years in the 'burbs of B'More. Silver Spring. Actually, Laurel.   

On another note, Stompin' Tom, hit me up anytime. You should come back to the FFA. We miss guys like you over there. 
:hifive:  'preciate it, bud!

The fact that he was actually penalized for that is a complete joke.  The fact that the league decided to fine him is almost unfathomable IMO.   This league is a complete ####### joke.  
Was TJ fined or Tomlin for criticizing? Because the article just says Tomlin was fined.

I guess my thing is why even put your hands on him at all....?...he could have not touched him....in todays NFL it is just a stupid play.....nothing but bad things can happen....he pushed him, even slightly and it was unnecessary....if players aren’t being coached not to do these things or aren’t smart enough to figure out it out by themselves...sorry but thats on you...the white hat is right there in your line of vision and his only responsibility at that point on this play is the QB and making sure you don’t do something you didn’t need to do to the QB....

I agree with the ####ification of the NFL these days, but this is 101 on what not to do....got to have some discipline in todays game....it is what it is....

SaintsInDome2006 said:
I was gonna applaud Brady for taking a dive & playing it up, but it looks like he was just caught off guard, which shows how late & stupid it was.

I was gonna applaud Brady for taking a dive & playing it up, but it looks like he was just caught off guard, which shows how late & stupid it was.
Agreed 

very stupid play by the defender and an easy flag to throw

i am genuinely surprised that there are people who actually disagree with throwing a flag there

Agreed 

very stupid play by the defender and an easy flag to throw

i am genuinely surprised that there are people who actually disagree with throwing a flag there

It was an even easier flag for the ref to keep in his pocket.  Really, a little shove a step after the pass was thrown?  That’s a penalty in the NFL?  It wouldn’t have been flagged at Pop Warner level.

It was an even easier flag for the ref to keep in his pocket.  Really, a little shove a step after the pass was thrown?  That’s a penalty in the NFL?  It wouldn’t have been flagged at Pop Warner level.
I'm going to blame the defender for stupidity rather than criticize the ref here.  There is a reason its called unnecessary roughness.   The ball was long gone.  Even a shove can cause injury when a player is off balance.

There are times when a flag isn't warranted; several early season QB sacks were criminally morphed into penalties.  I've seen a defender's hand grazing the QB's helmet draw a flag and labeled a "blow to the head".  It isn't easy playing defense sometimes but don't push a guy when he's out of bounds, play is over, etc.

It was completely unnecessary.....thats the main thing.....at any level....and should be flagged....whats the point of doing it..?...”sending Brady a message?”.....being a big bad tough guy....?....”oooooh he’ll remember me next time I get close”......whatever....if you are dumb enough to not realize you can’t do this is today’s NFL you should probably find a new job.....

It was completely unnecessary.....thats the main thing.....at any level....and should be flagged....whats the point of doing it..?...”sending Brady a message?”.....being a big bad tough guy....?....”oooooh he’ll remember me next time I get close”......whatever....if you are dumb enough to not realize you can’t do this is today’s NFL you should probably find a new job.....

Geez. C’mon. These are pros and it was literally a little push.  Could he have refrained?  Of course.  But that little bit of a push?  What’s next?  Flagging guys 15 yds for brushing shoulder pads after the play is over for unnecessary roughness?  That’s just as egregious.  This is the new NFL?  Football is an intentionally violent game and that play exceeds the boundaries of the rules because it’s too tough on QBs?  

No wonder why I don’t watch anymore.  Enjoy your new NFL where a little push is just too mean and draws a penalty.  Maybe they should look to a sport like women’s  volleyball and put the QBs in an all pink uniforms different from the rest of the players so that refs and players know that only two hand touch is allowed on them - but not too hard of a touch - just very very gentle touches, of course, or that’s a penalty.

Geez. C’mon. These are pros and it was literally a little push.  Could he have refrained?  Of course.  But that little bit of a push?  What’s next?  Flagging guys 15 yds for brushing shoulder pads after the play is over for unnecessary roughness?  That’s just as egregious.  This is the new NFL?  Football is an intentionally violent game and that play exceeds the boundaries of the rules because it’s too tough on QBs?  

No wonder why I don’t watch anymore.  Enjoy your new NFL where a little push is just too mean and draws a penalty.  Maybe they should look to a sport like women’s  volleyball and put the QBs in an all pink uniforms different from the rest of the players so that refs and players know that only two hand touch is allowed on them - but not too hard of a touch - just very very gentle touches, of course, or that’s a penalty.
I understand your frustration and football IS inherently a violent game.  But is a shove after the play really part of the game?

I understand your frustration and football IS inherently a violent game.  But is a shove after the play really part of the game?

Yes. It happens on a regular basis in every game.  And well after the half second that Brady threw the ball (and the play was still live) that this little shove happened.  Physical intimidation and slight retaliation out of frustration is a natural consequence of humans playing a violent game like this.  There’s no way that push should have drawn anything.  Maybe they should have QBs wear safety pins and those pink p***y hats too.

Yes. It happens on a regular basis in every game.  And well after the half second that Brady threw the ball (and the play was still live) that this little shove happened.  Physical intimidation and slight retaliation out of frustration is a natural consequence of humans playing a violent game like this.  There’s no way that push should have drawn anything.  Maybe they should have QBs wear safety pins and those pink p***y hats too.

Yet it did draw a flag and probably does 100% of the time because the league doesn't want to lose a QB to injury.  So put your virtual pink skirts on the QBs if you must, but defenders should know better. 

It really is a good thing you don’t watch anymore.....cause if you did you would understand why you are wrong....

Users who are viewing this thread