What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1. (6 Viewers)

It's Carl Perkins time again!

148.  Matchbox (single, 1964)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

One of the three Carl Perkins covers we'll be discussing (the first was "Everybody's Trying to be My Baby" and we've another yet to come), this one was originally sung by Pete Best in the Beatles's live shows.  After he was kicked to the curb, John took over the live vocals, but when they got to the recording sessions, it was turned over to Ringo with the intention of including it on the A Hard Day's Night album.  At this point Ringo was possibly the most popular Beatle in the US (while he was always considered Luc Longley in the UK), and Capitol found the idea of releasing a single with Ringo on lead to be appealing.  On the day it was recorded, Carl Perkins happened to be visiting Abbey Road studios and attended the session; rumor has it he might even have played the opening riff on the recording, but I suspect that's just wishful thinking from Beatles/Perkins fans like me.  Ringo's vocal on this isn't his best - he's admitted how nervous he was in Perkins's presence and also that this was recorded two days before a tonsillectomy - and is made too echo-y with the double- and even triple-tracking, but the energy everyone puts into this, combined with the fantastic source material, make it a spectacularly fun listen every time.

This song was controversial in the Perkins ouevre, as he claimed he had never heard the Blind Lemon Jefferson song "Match Box Blues"  before composing it.  Hmph, I guess it's just coincidence that both songs feature the following lines in sequence:  "I'm sittin' here wonderin', will a matchbox hold my clothes.  I ain't got no matches but I still got a long way to go."  Infinite monkeys theorem I guess.  In any case Perkins added more lyrics and the rockabilly groove, and it sounds like an entirely different song than Jefferson's.

Speaking of lyrics, I'm here to sheepishly admit that the single thing I love most about this song is that the following lines always make me break out in childish giggles:  "Well, if you don't want my peaches, honey, please don't shake my tree.  If you don't want Ringo's peaches, honey, please don't mess around my tree."

Mr. krista:  "How scandalous do you think that was in Great Britain at the time?  I mean, 'if you don’t want my peaches, don’t shake my tree.'  Hearing the Beatles cover that and do it so well, makes me proud to be an American.  I mean all this was obviously before my time.  You don’t get music like that without there being an America.  It just doesn’t ####### happen.  I mean, you’re welcome, world.  It’s ####### amazing.  I mean you might get something like it…nope, you don’t.  That’s not to say that British can’t make rock and roll, cuz clearly they can, but it just doesn’t…"

Suggested covers:  Wait, what?  I don't post covers of the cover songs!  But in this case I'll make an exception for these guys.  Also, as a bonus, if you have any doubt how ####### phenomenal this is, check out Perkins/Ringo/Clapton in 1995.

Last edited by a moderator:
While we wait for the final countdown, here is Ringo's influence with musicians 60 years younger than him.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0NCczct2ZIM
I clicked on this and just caught the beginning, but am excited to watch the rest later!  (There are too many field goals being kicked, and I'm behind.)  I see she started with Strawberry Fields, which features my absolute favorite Ringo fills in any song.  When I listen to that song, even with as much good stuff as is going on, I can barely notice anything but Ringo.

I'm feeling a little burnt out and going to resume rankings in the morning.  The stupid Patriots game, pizza, and watching some of the links that have been posted here should get me back in the spirit.  Right now it's feeling a little like a job, which I don't need another of - that's 100% self-inflicted pressure, not due to you guys.  Thank you all so much for indulging this exercise and participating with such enthusiasm.

When I do a write-up, like the last one for "Matchbox," I find myself falling in love with the song all over again.  That is inspiring but also depressing, because I'm simultaneously ranking it in the bottom half!  This morning I was working out with my Beatles songlist on shuffle (naturally), and "Baby It's You" came on.  I found myself happily smiling and singing along and then realized:  that was my #183 song!  

This is really hard to do.

Just ingested the latest batch.  As always, thanks, Krista.  Agree with those who have "64" as a personal favorite, but I know, for me, because that's a song I would listen to with my grandpa when I was kid.  He loved that song.  

Just ingested the latest batch.  As always, thanks, Krista.  Agree with those who have "64" as a personal favorite, but I know, for me, because that's a song I would listen to with my grandpa when I was kid.  He loved that song.  
Aw, that's sweet.  Wish I had any Beatles memories associated with my family.  Most of my family listened primarily to gospel music when I was growing up, with a little light C&W troubadour and bluegrass mixed in.  The exception was my mom, who was a rocker but unfortunately it was the 80s.  I've asked her before whether she ever followed the Beatles (she was born in 1943 so would be prime age for it), but she said she was too busy in nursing school and having babies instead.

Oh wait!  I do have a small Beatles-related story involving her.  I told her some months ago that I was going to do this project, and she asked me to give her my favorites so she could listen to him when she walks or works out.   I gave her my top 20-25.  Then this week, we were driving and, in a rare moment of her silence, "Favorite Beatles Song #6" came on, and then I noticed she was humming along with it.  This is not a well-known song for non-Beatles fans, so it was clear she'd been listening.  I thought that was so sweet.

@AAABatteries, it has come to my attention that three (3) days ago, you stopped playing the Beatles to listen to a movie soundtrack.*  You march yourself right back into the Beatles thread and post your sixth and 12th favorite Beatles songs as penance.

*Sorry, missed your post before this.

Just something to remember...

Every song on this list was written and recorded before every member was 30 (give or take a month or two). 

A thing like that.

Another favorite clip of mine was when the Beatles performed live on Drop-In, a Swedish TV  show in October 1963.  I’m putting it here because Sally closes out this raucous set at the 9:30 mark of the video.  A couple of reasons why I love this clip so much:

1) it’s one of the few live Beatles performances without the usual accompanying cacophony of loud screaming underscoring it, so you can really hear how tight of a live band they were at this point.

2) This was late 1963 so Beatlemania hadn’t quite kicked into nuclear overdrive yet.  Check out the face on the blonde male host at about the 10 minute mark.  His brain doesn’t quite comprehend what he’s witnessing in front of him, but he knows he’d rather be nowhere else in the world in that moment.  I’d give anything to have experienced that.
Finally watched this.  What a great find!!!  In addition to what you mention - and holy hell did I love watching that host - Paul absolutely killed on Long Tall Sally, Ringo was wailing on those drums throughout, and even John and George seemed to be having fun!  Not relevant but also...those were some snazzy suits.

Finally watched this.  What a great find!!!  In addition to what you mention - and holy hell did I love watching that host - Paul absolutely killed on Long Tall Sally, Ringo was wailing on those drums throughout, and even John and George seemed to be having fun!  Not relevant but also...those were some snazzy suits.

good call grandma.

OK, I've never given Phish a chance because I thought they were just a jam band with 20-minute songs, but that was really enjoyable.

ETA:  Don't swing anyone at me, Tanner.
It mostly is 20 minute jam songs.  I was just posting that link as a message to Tanner.

Another favorite clip of mine was when the Beatles performed live on Drop-In, a Swedish TV  show in October 1963.  I’m putting it here because Sally closes out this raucous set at the 9:30 mark of the video.  A couple of reasons why I love this clip so much:

1) it’s one of the few live Beatles performances without the usual accompanying cacophony of loud screaming underscoring it, so you can really hear how tight of a live band they were at this point.

2) This was late 1963 so Beatlemania hadn’t quite kicked into nuclear overdrive yet.  Check out the face on the blonde male host at about the 10 minute mark.  His brain doesn’t quite comprehend what he’s witnessing in front of him, but he knows he’d rather be nowhere else in the world in that moment.  I’d give anything to have experienced that.
Whoa. Not sure I’ve ever seen this.  Awesome.

Can’t get too deep right now but...GD right they were tight.  

This band may have been born in Liverpool but they were raised in Hamburg. 

Oliver Humanzee and I are starting our own Cheap Trick song ranking thread in the near future. Just watch.
Shortest ranking thread ever.  Prediction:  It'll just be a list of "Up The Creek" typed out ten times in succession with a high five emoji at the end of it.

5.  Southern Girls

4.  He’s A Whore

3.  Auf Weidersehen

2.  Surrender

1.  Downed

FIGHT ME
daddy should have stayed in high school

slap me before I squirt (aka:  it's the only way I know how) 

mounting my auntie

microwaving 

she polishes my shoes nicely (aka: fell in love with a street corner whore)

ETA:  these are all from their early developmental years in Calgary.  

Been away (not by choice) so I haven’t had the chance to respond. Though I happen to like several of these songs, there are only two that I really happen to object to being the bottom 10%: “Roll Over Beethoven” and “Rock and Roll Music”. 

Growing up in the 70s, I was exposed to these two covers from a great compilation album I owned called The Beatles Rock and Roll Musicwhich included most of their early Chuck Berry, Little Richard, and Isley Brothers songs. To me, this is really exciting rock and roll; these covers are better than the originals, they have an energy that reminds me strongly of early punk rock. I think this is among the Beatles’ best music. 
The Beatles and George Martin were vehemently opposed to these hastily put together 70s compilation albums (Rock N Roll Music, Love Songs, Reel Music, etc.). When John saw the artwork for Rock N Roll Music he was horrified and offered to do the artwork himself but Capitol refused.    A few years later Capitol split the double album into two single albums with a different, slightly less offensive, packaging.

168.  What You're Doing (Beatles for Sale, 1964)

Another that John and Paul aren't too impressed with, and I am more so.  The drum solo at the beginning (repeated at the end), followed by George's Rickenbacker riffs, immediately hook me in and make me feel groovy, and I like the lilting-but-angsty sound of Paul's vocal.  Big fan of that middle eight and some of the clever internal rhymes in the lyrics, too.  What I don't like about it, which is a part loved by many others, are the shouty parts - "YOU!" 

Mr. krista:  "I like the Rickenbacker riff and the heavy chords. It sounds good too, great arrangement.  Sounds so good, great arrangement, might be a better recording than a song.”

Barely acceptable cover by whoever this guy is, but the best I seem to be able to do:  Nick something or other
Take 11 is awesome.  It was the highlight when I bought the "Turn Me On Deadman" bootleg 

Coincidentally just heard this song (on the Beatles channel) while driving earlier this week, and admitted sheepishly to Mr. krista how much I liked it, but that I couldn't name another Badfinger song.  I know of their existence and that they recorded on Apple Records for a time, but they've escaped my notice.  He googled and gave me a list of their other well-known songs, but neither of us could identify any by title, though I'm sure we'd recognize some if we heard them.  Anyway, this is a good jam IMO.
I am a Badfinger fanatic.  Absolute tragic handling by an evil business manager killed what could have been one of the top bands of the 70s.  I strongly encourage anyone interested in how horrible the music business was in the late 60s and early 70s to seek out the book "Without You: the Tragic Story of Badfinger".  It is a fascinating read but unfortunately has been out of print for years.

As an alternative check out this documentary on YouTube.  It doesn't come close to the Without You book but does a pretty good job.

Every song on this list was written and recorded before every member was 30 (give or take a month or two). 
What amazes me is how we talk about early, mid and late Beatles albums as separate eras but there were only 7 years and 2 months between the releases of Please Please Me and Let It Be.  That is an amzing evolution in an incredibly short period of time.

166.  Flying (Magical Mystery Tour, 1967)

Since this is my third attempt at a write-up, I'll keep it short.

I know a lot of people don't appreciate this one, but I find it soothing and could listen to it for hours.  So suck it.

Fun fact:  first song to be credited to all four of the lads.

Mr. krista:  "“[10 seconds in] I like this a million times better [than Fool on the Hill].  I like this one.  I like that song.  I wish it were 20 minutes long.  I like it’s all spacey and surfy in the beginning, like Shadowy Men, like a really extended theme song to a great comedy sketch show.  I like the lalalalalas.  It’s clear it’s transitional music to get from one part of the thing to the other part, but for what it is, it’s great.  It’s excellent sorbet after the ##### sandwich that is Fool on the Hill.”"

Suggested covers:  OMG here it is with Chet Baker on flugelhorn!  But I actually enjoy this one more, though it might be the cover pic of Mr. Rourke(?) and the "zee plane, zee plane" guy that gets me over the finish.
Flying over Baby's in Black and Yes It Is...     :shock:

147.  I Wanna Be Your Man (With the Beatles, 1963)

The story behind the Beatles giving this song to the Rolling Stones is not certain, since Paul and John told different versions of the events.  What is known is that either Mick/Keith or their manager ran into Paul and John, and the Stones were looking for a follow-up to their first single and asked John and Paul if they had any songs the Stones could use.  This one was floating around half-finished, so Paul and John sat down and completed it that day  Keith and Mick were so impressed with the way the guys could whip out a song that it's said this inspired them to write more of their own songs.  Within a day after completing the song and giving it to the Stones, the Beatles recorded a version themselves, with Ringo on lead vocal.  John was later dismissive of the song, stating something along the lines that you can tell how little they thought of it considering the only two versions are by the Stones and Ringo (poor Ringo).

It's not my favorite Ringo vocal, but I love the frenetic energy of the Beatles version, punctuated by those driving rhythm guitars.  And that Hammond organ...it gives it such a "mod" feel that it makes me want to put on my miniskirt and go-go boots and ride around on a scooter.  Or sometimes it sounds to me like it could be a game-show theme.  I mean a wacky game show, like one of the Japanese ones.

This is a good place to note the songs that the Beatles gave away during the 1960s:  they were so prolific during this period that they had plenty to spare.  Below is an shamelessly-stolen-from-Wikipedia partial listing of the songs one or both of them wrote, who recorded it, and the peak chart position:

1963  The Rolling Stones"I Wanna Be Your Man"  UK #12

1963  Billy J. Kramer with The Dakotas"I'll Be on My Way"  (B-side)

1963  Billy J. Kramer with The Dakotas "Bad to Me" UK #1 

1963  Billy J. Kramer with The Dakotas "I'll Keep You Satisfied" UK #4

1964  Billy J. Kramer with The Dakotas "From a Window" UK #10

1963  Tommy Quickly "Tip of My Tongue"

1963  The Fourmost "Hello Little Girl" UK #9

1963  The Fourmost "I'm in Love" UK #17

1963  Cilla Black "Love of the Loved" UK #35

1964  Cilla Black "It's for You" UK #7

1968  Cilla Black "Step Inside Love" UK #8

1964  The Strangers with Mike Shannon "One and One Is Two"

1964  Peter & Gordon" A World Without Love" UK #1

1964  Peter & Gordon "Nobody I Know" UK #10

1964  Peter & Gordon"I Don't Want to See You Again"

1964  The Applejacks "Like Dreamers Do" UK #20

1965  P.J. Proby "That Means a Lot" UK #30

1966  Peter & Gordon "Woman" UK #28

1967  The Chris Barber Band "Catcall"

1968  Black Dyke Mills Band "Thingumybob"

1969  Mary Hopkin "Goodbye" UK #2

1969  Plastic Ono Band "Give Peace a Chance" UK #2

1969  Carlos Mendes "Penina"

1969  Badfinger "Come and Get It" UK #4   :(   :(  

Mr. krista:  "Guitar part was awesome.  [plays Stones version]  Beatles version is twice as good, even with Ringo singing it.”

Suggested cover:  Well, I'm not actually sure if you can call this a cover or if the Beatles version became the cover, but here are the Rolling Stones.

148.  I Wanna Be Your Man (With the Beatles, 1963)

The story behind the Beatles giving this song to the Rolling Stones is not certain, since Paul and John told different versions of the events.  What is known is that either Mick/Keith or their manager ran into Paul and John, and the Stones were looking for a follow-up to their first single and asked John and Paul if they had any songs the Stones could use.  This one was floating around half-finished, so Paul and John sat down and completed it that day  Keith and Mick were so impressed with the way the guys could whip out a song that it's said this inspired them to write more of their own songs.  Within a day after completing the song and giving it to the Stones, the Beatles recorded a version themselves, with Ringo on lead vocal.  John was later dismissive of the song, stating something along the lines that you can tell how little they thought of it considering the only two versions are by the Stones and Ringo (poor Ringo).

It's not my favorite Ringo vocal, but I love the frenetic energy of the Beatles version, punctuated by those driving rhythm guitars.  And that Hammond organ...it gives it such a "mod" feel that it makes me want to put on my miniskirt and go-go boots and ride around on a scooter.  Or sometimes it sounds to me like it could be a game-show theme.  I mean a wacky game show, like one of the Japanese ones.

This is a good place to note the songs that the Beatles gave away during the 1960s:  they were so prolific during this period that they had plenty to spare.  Below is an shamelessly-stolen-from-Wikipedia partial listing of the songs one or both of them wrote, who recorded it, and the peak chart position:

Mr. krista:  "Guitar part was awesome.  [plays Stones version]  Beatles version is twice as good, even with Ringo singing it.”

Suggested cover:  Well, I'm not actually sure if you can call this a cover or if the Beatles version became the cover, but here are the Rolling Stones.
Great, great tune. Love just picturing Ringo, nodding his head side-to-side singing this and playing the drums. 

Fun fact: Keith Richards was only 45 when the Stones recorded this song. 

146.  For You Blue (Let It Be, 1970)

I LOVE THE LAP STEEL GUITAR ON THIS SONG.  I love the sound of that guitar and the slide; I've read variously that John used a lighter, a shotgun shell, and a lipstick tube as the slide.  George called this a "happy-go-lucky" song, and his vocal has a nice sweet quality to it.  Paul did some interesting work on the piano, putting paper between the strings to give it a fuzzy sound.  The problem I have with this song is George's silly talking during the middle.  Maybe that's just them having fun, but it detracts for me.  Though I enjoy George's vocal on this, I think I'd enjoy it more as just an instrumental.  Still a great groove, though.

Mr. krista:  "Seems fun.  Well, compared to The Long and Winding Road, surgery seems fun.  I like the self-deprecating bits of dialogue. I like the DoBro steel guitar. It was like a really concise Allman Brothers song."

Suggested cover:  Well, I can't resist this:  Dhani Harrison

I don't think I know all of these songs, but that would be one helluva career if one act caught all of the Beatles' giveaways listed here.

Stevie Wonder did this in the '70s/80s. He was so hot, he just made a bunch of careers giving away music.

Users who are viewing this thread