What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So eggs are bad again? (1 Viewer)

"Our study showed if two people had exact same diet and the only difference in diet was eggs, then you could directly measure the effect of the egg consumption on heart disease," Allen said. "We found cholesterol, regardless of the source, was associated with an increased risk of heart disease."

Exercise, overall diet quality and the amount and type of fat in the diet didn't change the association between the dietary cholesterol and cardiovascular disease and death risk.

The new study looked at pooled data on 29,615 U.S. racially and ethnically diverse adults from six prospective cohort studies for up to 31 years of follow up.

But then there is this...

A major limitation of the study is participants' long-term eating patterns weren't assessed.

"We have one snapshot of what their eating pattern looked like," Allen said. "But we think they represent an estimate of a person's dietary intake. Still, people may have changed their diet, and we can't account for that."
Also, it was noted that the dietary information was obtained basically through survey.  Self reporting can also be problematic.

“Diet data were collected using food frequency questionnaires or by taking a diet history. Each participant was asked a long list of what they'd eaten for the previous year or month. The data were collected during a single visit. The study had up to 31 years of follow up (median: 17.5 years), during which 5,400 cardiovascular events and 6,132 all-cause deaths were diagnosed.

A major limitation of the study is participants' long-term eating patterns weren't assessed.”

I need to read more about the study but these are usually two red flags for me.  

I suppose the bigger question here isn't so much about eggs.  I had thought most of the recent research had pretty much concluded that dietary cholesterol had little to no influence on blood cholesterol levels and heart disease.  Does this open up the conversation for debate once again?

I suppose the bigger question here isn't so much about eggs.  I had thought most of the recent research had pretty much concluded that dietary cholesterol had little to no influence on blood cholesterol levels and heart disease.  Does this open up the conversation for debate once again?
Diet and exercise definitely can and do have a significant effect on cholesterol levels, but genetics by far plays the biggest role.

I think whatever cheap poison they are feeding the chickens in those huge, mass-scale farms are what's ####### people up. Chicken eggs themselves are amazing though. One of the world's most perfect foods for humans. I would only eat clean eggs though - eggs from chickens with totally organic diets, or at least diets where you know exactly what went into them. Isn't that one of the nastiest places on earth anyway? A mass-scale chicken farm? Yeah, you're going to contract a disease eating long term from a chicken farm. But I guarantee you they weren't thoughtful enough to include that angle in their "study." It's like the fish in a fish farm. If the fish are eating a diet of straight dog food every day, you're basically eating dog food when you eat those fish. Same with chickens. All animals really.

Can't live without them.  Normally go with 2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites at least 5x/week.  Great source of protein and quality fat on the cheap.  They also act as a natural testosterone booster, not that any of us FBGs need help in that department.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone go with just the egg whites? Is there a noticeable taste difference? 
My wife just eats egg whites and says she doesn't really notice the difference. Which leaves me the yellows and I think they're much more flavorful than the whole egg.

Also, it was noted that the dietary information was obtained basically through survey.  Self reporting can also be problematic.
That includes like 99% of nutrition literature. It’s impractical to perform prospective blinded, randomized controlled trials of diet.

But then there is this...

Need to head over to the politics board.  Surveys are the LAW over there.   

Ignoramus said:
My wife just eats egg whites and says she doesn't really notice the difference. Which leaves me the yellows and I think they're much more flavorful than the whole egg.
Definitely more flavor. There's also a difference in taste between free range and caged.

And now there's no difference in white vs red meat in terms of what is better for you.  #madness

Galileo said:
Well, hell...another study published in JAMA pointing to the link between eggs/cholesterol, cardiac disease, and death.  This one out of UMass
They also say it's fine having a few eggs a week but to avoid eating a 3 egg omelet every day. Balance is key since a single egg has more cholesterol than  an 8 ounce steak. 

And now there's no difference in white vs red meat in terms of what is better for you.  #madness
In the end, the best diet is mostly vegetable, fish and fruit. Animal products are mostly bad for us. Anything with added sugar is especially bad for us. Grilled meat is also especially bad. I have read a few articles speculating in the not so distant future grilling and sugar loaded foods could be treated like smoking.

I think whatever cheap poison they are feeding the chickens in those huge, mass-scale farms are what's ####### people up. Chicken eggs themselves are amazing though. One of the world's most perfect foods for humans. I would only eat clean eggs though - eggs from chickens with totally organic diets, or at least diets where you know exactly what went into them. Isn't that one of the nastiest places on earth anyway? A mass-scale chicken farm? Yeah, you're going to contract a disease eating long term from a chicken farm. But I guarantee you they weren't thoughtful enough to include that angle in their "study." It's like the fish in a fish farm. If the fish are eating a diet of straight dog food every day, you're basically eating dog food when you eat those fish. Same with chickens. All animals really.
Yup.  I try to buy the Eggland Best eggs but honestly, I have no idea what exactly they are eating aside from that they are "vegetarian fed".

I agree with the fish stuff too.  Big difference between farm raised salmon and wild salmon it seems.

In the end, the best diet is mostly vegetable, fish and fruit. Animal products are mostly bad for us. Anything with added sugar is especially bad for us. Grilled meat is also especially bad. I have read a few articles speculating in the not so distant future grilling and sugar loaded foods could be treated like smoking.
Agree with sugar loaded foods being bad but what's wrong with a grilled lean piece of steak? 

Agree with sugar loaded foods being bad but what's wrong with a grilled lean piece of steak? 
https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/a-healthier-way-of-grilling#1

Then there's the matter of a couple of potentially cancer-causing compounds: polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) and heterocyclic amines (HCAs). PAHs form when fat from the meat drips onto the hot coals or grill element. They're then deposited on the food courtesy of flame-ups and rising smoke. Unfortunately, that yummy charring that forms on meat can contain PAHs as well. HCAs, meanwhile, are produced when red meat, poultry and fish meet high-heat cooking, like grilling or broiling.

Need you to show your work here.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I hadn't heard about this white vs. red meat thing mentioned in the thread.  I found a recent CNN article about it.  It seems to really be a lean meat vs. fatty meat thing.  When I think "white meat" I think chicken breast.  When I think "red meat" I'm thinking a typical cut of beef.  As a general rule, it still seems like white meat is a better choice with some obvious exceptions.

Users who are viewing this thread