Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official Donald J. Trump Impeachment (Whistleblower) Thread***

snitwitch

1 hour ago, Bucky86 said:

🤔 Oh. So impeachment is no longer bad for the country?

Jennifer Epstein

@jeneps

NEW: Joni Ernst tells me that there would “immediately” be a Republican push to impeach Biden over Ukraine if he’s elected

Weird....lets say he did everything claimed and even had the power to do everything claimed.  It's the same thing that they just let Trump walk free from  :lmao: 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Weird....lets say he did everything claimed and even had the power to do everything claimed.  It's the same thing that they just let Trump walk free from  :lmao: 

But it’s not even the same thing. Not even close. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Alex P Keaton said:
4 hours ago, Bucky86 said:

🤔 Oh. So impeachment is no longer bad for the country?

Jennifer Epstein

@jeneps

NEW: Joni Ernst tells me that there would “immediately” be a Republican push to impeach Biden over Ukraine if he’s elected

Unreal.  What a group of hypocrites

Yeah but he really deserves it and that would in no way be partisan, just good ole GOP fighting corruption.  🤦‍♂️

3 hours ago, The Commish said:

Good thing Biden was just doing it all to get elected for the good of the people so it’s not impeachable.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

The problem isn't the conservative structure of government (via the Senate) -- it was designed that way and worked pretty well all things considered.

The problem is that we undid the other pieces the made the Senate a more reasoned "cooling off" chamber than the House.  Today's Republican Senators would never have been elected if state governments weren't gerrymandered to death and Senators were still elected indirectly.

I'd much rather see us fix the errors we made in undoing the wisdom of the original structure than I would undoing even more of it.

Hey, total agreement on something. A thousand times this. The structure was there for a reason. It was there to concern people with local politics and to provide a body that was somewhat beyond reach of the people to a degree. The check at the ballot box for the representation by a senator was at the local level.

Woodrow Wilson and the Evangelical/Protestant democratic reform movement had complete disregard for the tender structures of political science and instead believed in the all-encompassing notions of enfranchisement, reform, and religion that swept the nation in the progressive Teens, culminating in Amendments 17-19. 

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 7:42 AM, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

Nobody alive entered into any of this.  All of us were just born into this ridiculous system (or we are immigrants).  Whatever mechanisms exist for withdrawal should be equally available to all states.

This sounds like war talk. 

8 minutes ago, Kal El said:

It also sounds like what got us out from under England's thumb.

Like I said...war talk.

3 minutes ago, Sheriff Bart said:

Yesterday I had two whiskeys, a Bloody Mary, several joints, and 28 beers all while playing and winning high stakes poker. Make me your leader. 

Done and done, GB. Practicing game theory? 

• Love 1

29 minutes ago, dutch said:

Yup, time for a conference realignment.  Bring Maryland back to the acc where it belongs 

Fatguy's post also brings up the information that some number greater than zero of authors wanted the new republic's constitution to be revisited every 19 years for serious updating by a new generation of voters. Admittedly, that may have required a wisdom, maturity and commitment to justice that continues to escape us.

Granted that we were working from a new framework of ideas at the time, and still managed to probably improve on whatever had come before it anywhere. But we could have done better and, even worse, made it practically impossible to change what we had established. Lots of scholars and FBG posters believe that was the right thing to do. I believe it was simply a capitulation to the American Right of its time and served mostly to maintain right wing obstruction in this country for another 200 years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

It’s worse than that. Impeachment of Trump was based on things he undoubtedly did. What Ernst is showing here is that the GOP will rally around false charges to persecute political rivals, and that they will validate Trump’s meddling to begin with by amplifying the lies he tried to get Ukraine to fall in line with. 

The GOP is reckless and authoritarian, and at the core big fat liars.

It’s not a GOP or DNC thing, it’s a political thing. See McCarthyism

27 minutes ago, roadkill1292 said:

Fatguy's post also brings up the information that some number greater than zero of authors wanted the new republic's constitution to be revisited every 19 years for serious updating by a new generation of voters. Admittedly, that may have required a wisdom, maturity and commitment to justice that continues to escape us.

Granted that we were working from a new framework of ideas at the time, and still managed to probably improve on whatever had come before it anywhere. But we could have done better and, even worse, made it practically impossible to change what we had established. Lots of scholars and FBG posters believe that was the right thing to do. I believe it was simply a capitulation to the American Right of its time and served mostly to maintain right wing obstruction in this country for another 200 years.

I find it hard to believe that the notions of right and left could possibly apply. There's no way to take the modern American right and trace its intellectual forebears. It was a dialectic that brought us to where we are on both sides of the aisle. There's tons of logical and substantive bleeding along the way. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

McCarthy was a Republican also. It very much is a GOP thing. 

True to an extent. But over the course of the nation's history, regardless of party nomenclature of the times, it's been a right wing thing. The American right wing has obstructed the advance of progress and justice for the duration of our history.

• Like 3

I suppose we couldn’t just have one manager from each side provide the closing arguments. They’re repeating the case they have repeated a out  a dozen time already. We still get to hear from every senator and have them repeat the case for/against.

Edited by Phil Elliott

40 minutes ago, Mr. Ham said:

It’s worse than that. Impeachment of Trump was based on things he undoubtedly did. What Ernst is showing here is that the GOP will rally around false charges to persecute political rivals, and that they will validate Trump’s meddling to begin with by amplifying the lies he tried to get Ukraine to fall in line with. 

The GOP is reckless and authoritarian, and at the core big fat liars.

But to be fair, we've known that for over 20 years.

So knowing that Trump gets let off the hook on Wednesday, what's his next play on Thursday?  Last time (Mueller report, next day was Ukraine call).  Anyone been watching Fox News lately, is there a new conspiracy theory for him to jump to?

The best punishment we could all give him is to just stop talking about him.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, roadkill1292 said:

True to an extent. But over the course of the nation's history, regardless of party nomenclature of the times, it's been a right wing thing. The American right wing has obstructed the advance of progress and justice for the duration of our history.

Oh cmon.

The "Right Wing" has created the most powerful economic force on the planet and has brought stability to the world while bringing a quality of life no other country our size enjoys...so there's that.

Edited by TripItUp

Just now, TripItUp said:

Oh cmon.

The "Right Wing" has created the most powerful economic force on the planet and has brought stability to the world...so there's that.

Globalization brought stability to the world, and the current "right wing" is looking to undo that.

7 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

while bringing a quality of life no other country our size enjoys

Nice qualifier.  The list of countries with 150m - 600m inhabitants is quite small.  Only 2 have been independent for over 100 years.

United States, Indonesia, Pakistan, Brazil, Nigeria, Bangladesh

Edited by The Z Machine
verbs

1 minute ago, TripItUp said:

you truly believe Republicans want to destabilize the world?   That's your take?

Do you think that breaking up the EU, ripping up treaties, talking crap about allies, and pandering to dictators are leading to more stability in the world?  That's your take?

I think Trump is being selfish, and Republicans can't bend over fast enough to support him if it means they get to keep their jobs.  I don't think they give two hoots about global stability any more.  Convince me otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

Oh cmon.

The "Right Wing" has created the most powerful economic force on the planet and has brought stability to the world while bringing a quality of life no other country our size enjoys...so there's that.

You...do realize how many average citizens are suffering in this utopia right? 

24 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

you truly believe Republicans want to destabilize the world?   That's your take?

I don't believe Republicans want to destabilize the world. However, I do think they are ignorant enough to not recognize what mechanisms provide stabilization and are selfish enough to want those mechanisms restrained in order to make a quick buck.  I think Republicans will bite the hand that feeds them.

23 minutes ago, KPD said:
36 minutes ago, Sheriff Bart said:

Or run for president and use the money from the campaign donations, because no one cares if you steal money that way.

Yeah it's funny, I didn't think laws mattered anymore. It's every person for themselves.  Take or get taken.