What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Donald J. Trump Impeachment (Whistleblower) Thread*** (8 Viewers)

5 trump lawyers quit.  :lol:
The rumor is that Trump is refusing to pay their retainer fees. Which is actually a pretty smart move on Trump's part. What's the point of paying for a bunch of lawyers when you know in advance that the jury is going to acquit you?

The rumor is that Trump is refusing to pay their retainer fees. Which is actually a pretty smart move on Trump's part. What's the point of paying for a bunch of lawyers when you know in advance that the jury is going to acquit you?
Might as well save his money for when he gets hauled in to real counts of law in NY. He's going to need lawyers then.

Kind of does make sense.  trump has enough Senators in his pocket to be acquitted so why even show up.

It’s because they refuse to turn the trial into a Big Lie event.

That is all Trump wants. And wants his lawyer to do. Because he knows he is immune to conviction.

But the rule of law is making it tough on him.  Well, that and reputational risk, if not career suicide, for anyone who would not only entertain these fantasies, but argue them in a trial.  

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s because they refuse to turn the trial into a Big Lie event.

That is all Trump wants. And wants his lawyer to do. Because he knows he is immune to conviction.

But the rule of law is making it tough on him.  Well, that and reputational risk, if not career suicide, for anyone who would not only entertain these fantasies, but argue them in a trial.  
Rudy is willing and eager to do it: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/trumps-impeachment-defense-bannon-reportedly-130751966.html

If Trump's defense is "stolen election," it seems to me that that puts the Rs in a very difficult position.  How do any of the Republicans ask questions of him?  What do they ask or say in that context?  The Dems will push hard on the lack of any evidence, and Trump is bound to come off sounding like a whiny, rambling kind of guy.  How do the Rs make lemonade out of those lemons?  Trump is likely to survive the impeachment vote, but this could be very damaging for a number of Republicans as they get caught up in the public spectacle.

If Trump's defense is "stolen election," it seems to me that that puts the Rs in a very difficult position.  How do any of the Republicans ask questions of him?  What do they ask or say in that context?  The Dems will push hard on the lack of any evidence, and Trump is bound to come off sounding like a whiny, rambling kind of guy.  How do the Rs make lemonade out of those lemons?  Trump is likely to survive the impeachment vote, but this could be very damaging for a number of Republicans as they get caught up in the public spectacle.
Their narrative becomes, "Hey, I voted Not Guilty because I believe the whole trial is unconstitutional, not because I believe the election was stolen."

And then they cross their fingers and hope that it works.

It won't be damaging. The base doesn't care. 

If your numbers were right then I think we'd be seeing different behavior from reps right now.
If Trump's base is 30-40% of the overall population, that equates to something like 80-90% of the Republican Party.  Any Republican that goes against Trump is in serious danger of losing in a primary.

If Trump's base is 30-40% of the overall population, that equates to something like 80-90% of the Republican Party.  Any Republican that goes against Trump is in serious danger of losing in a primary.
Well, there's the rub ...the challenge for the Republican party.  The base is large enough that it probably can succeed in many primaries.  But I believe the base is not large enough to succeed in enough general elections for the Rs to regain control.  I can envision a scenario where the Dems gain in numbers in '22 and '24 while the Trump Rs also grow in number and extremism.  That doesn't bode well for our future.  :kicksrock:

Well, there's the rub ...the challenge for the Republican party.  The base is large enough that it probably can succeed in many primaries.  But I believe the base is not large enough to succeed in enough general elections for the Rs to regain control.  I can envision a scenario where the Dems gain in numbers in '22 and '24 while the Trump Rs also grow in number and extremism.  That doesn't bode well for our future.  :kicksrock:
If I"m the R's, I'm internal polling to see how many of the "Trump" voter was a first timer or first time in a long time voter......along with seeing how many R's/Indy leaning R's voted for Biden and then seeing if those people are first time or first time in a long time.  Whatever number is higher is the number you'd back....although Trump did lose his two elections by a combined 10+M votes....so it's not like he's a world beater in a general.  

Mitigate Trumps effectiveness.....take a certain amount of pain in 22.....then come back and court the Indys and the R's who voted for Biden in 24; while banking on the idea that as long as Trump isn't in it...his detractors won't be motivated to vote*

* And they'd better hope that those who voted against Trump aren't woken politically....because if so, it's over for them.

If your numbers were right then I think we'd be seeing different behavior from reps right now.
Trump's "base" is not 90% of the Republican party, imo. I'd say that there's a faction of approximately 35% within the party who are die hards that won't even consider another candidate but Trump. Beyond that, it's possible to win over the hearts and minds of other Republicans, but only if you bring some quality traits to the table. Jeb Bush ain't cutting it.

The reason we're not seeing different behavior from Republicans right now is because there's no harm in playing a bit to both sides. The voters aren't going to remember anything 2 years from now, lol. So, if you're in a deep red district, you throw a little meat towards the Trump crowd, and if you're in a purple district, then you act like you're the voice of reason or whatever, lol. Then you wait 12 months and revise your personality accordingly.

The reason we're not seeing different behavior from Republicans right now is because there's no harm in playing a bit to both sides. The voters aren't going to remember anything 2 years from now, lol. So, if you're in a deep red district, you throw a little meat towards the Trump crowd, and if you're in a purple district, then you act like you're the voice of reason or whatever, lol. Then you wait 12 months and revise your personality accordingly.
I think there is a lot of truth in this assessment, which is why it is important that the country's voters don't do what they usually do leading up to elections - forget about history. This system is designed to function with a conservative party, but it is not designed to function with what that party has become. It's important their power continues to diminish until it's completely eroded away, so it can be rebuilt the right way.

I have no confidence in our citizenry to follow through though.

If I"m the R's, I'm internal polling to see how many of the "Trump" voter was a first timer or first time in a long time voter......along with seeing how many R's/Indy leaning R's voted for Biden and then seeing if those people are first time or first time in a long time.  Whatever number is higher is the number you'd back....although Trump did lose his two elections by a combined 10+M votes....so it's not like he's a world beater in a general.  

Mitigate Trumps effectiveness.....take a certain amount of pain in 22.....then come back and court the Indys and the R's who voted for Biden in 24; while banking on the idea that as long as Trump isn't in it...his detractors won't be motivated to vote*

* And they'd better hope that those who voted against Trump aren't woken politically....because if so, it's over for them.
Your proposed strategy makes a ton of sense, but I don't think it is workable. The issue for any Republicans who don't stay all in on Trump is they are likely to lose in primaries. 

Trump's "base" is not 90% of the Republican party, imo. I'd say that there's a faction of approximately 35% within the party who are die hards that won't even consider another candidate but Trump. Beyond that, it's possible to win over the hearts and minds of other Republicans, but only if you bring some quality traits to the table. Jeb Bush ain't cutting it.

As a counterpoint, I’d like to see the party actually stand up for a belief system instead of for a person who basically operated on whatever he wanted, and lives a life antithetical to the purported belief system of a large chunk of the party’s members.

As a counterpoint, I’d like to see the party actually stand up for a belief system instead of for a person who basically operated on whatever he wanted, and lives a life antithetical to the purported belief system of a large chunk of the party’s members.
That ship has sailed and won't possibly return until after a hypothetical reform. They've had years of opportunities to do anything but decision make based on maximizing power and continue to do the same thing they've done all along. Why? Because they won't be held accountable b their constituents for behaving badly so long as they continue to decision make based on power, but they will be held accountable by doing the right thing. This is what they want - and why Trump was the perfect representative for this party the last 4 years. He's not the disease; he's just a symptom.

I disagree...for future POTUS’s and officials...to show that behavior wont be tolerated and has consequences.  What is to stop Biden in 2024 to make claims that it was all stolen and incite a mob?
To show future politicians that giving political speeches won't be tolerated?

Not it's not very clear at all. What specifically did he do to cause the riot?
Cause?  Not sure I made such a claim that he “caused it”.  But yes I believe he played a large part in it.  

Do you believe he had no responsibility on what happened?

Cause?  Not sure I made such a claim that he “caused it”.  But yes I believe he played a large part in it.  

Do you believe he had no responsibility on what happened?
Do any politicians have responsibility for their political speeches? If so then we have a lot of impeaching on the menu. There's quite a back log. 

It was a political maneuver by the Democrats to get Trump removed from running for future office. They thought they could get the votes but didn't. They can take the L on this and just be happy enough they have the "crisis" that was the Capitol riot to try to pass legislation (or executive order apparently) to help "protect us" from future "terrorists."

Do any politicians have responsibility for their political speeches? If so then we have a lot of impeaching on the menu. There's quite a back log. 

It was a political maneuver by the Democrats to get Trump removed from running for future office. They thought they could get the votes but didn't. They can take the L on this and just be happy enough they have the "crisis" that was the Capitol riot to try to pass legislation (or executive order apparently) to help "protect us" from future "terrorists."
His speeches were more than just political speeches though.  And since I doubt you will agree with that...not sure there is a point to go any further.

His speeches were more than just political speeches though.  And since I doubt you will agree with that...not sure there is a point to go any further.
How were they more? Please tell what in them goes beyond what you feel is acceptable. 

They can take the L on this and just be happy enough they have the "crisis" that was the Capitol riot to try to pass legislation (or executive order apparently) to help "protect us" from future "terrorists."
The end result of the Trump presidency will be increased power of the deep state and its ability to surveil Trump supporters.

January 6 wasn't just about speech, but about the actions that went with it. As President of the country, Trump was in a unique position in which he could combine the power of his speech with the power of his actions (or inactions) -- for example, he could use his power and influence over the National Guard to ensure that what should have been a minor scuffle would turn into a full-fledged riot. No President has ever used his powers in that way before -- largely because it's just so shocking to imagine that a President would deliberately undermine the police just so that he could watch his own supporters attack his political rivals.

As a country, we should take steps to ensure that such loopholes are never exploited again. I'm not sure if impeachment is the solution, however, because it really doesn't address the underlying issues. There's really nothing stopping the next president from using the same tactics to attack his rivals -- nothing except partisan impeachment.

January 6 wasn't just about speech, but about the actions that went with it. As President of the country, Trump was in a unique position in which he could combine the power of his speech with the power of his actions (or inactions) -- for example, he could use his power and influence over the National Guard to ensure that what should have been a minor scuffle would turn into a full-fledged riot. No President has ever used his powers in that way before -- largely because it's just so shocking to imagine that a President would deliberately undermine the police just so that he could watch his own supporters attack his political rivals.

As a country, we should take steps to ensure that such loopholes are never exploited again. I'm not sure if impeachment is the solution, however, because it really doesn't address the underlying issues. There's really nothing stopping the next president from using the same tactics to attack his rivals -- nothing except partisan impeachment.
Well a) that didn't happen. People have made open ended accusations but no one has officially proposed the idea that Trump refused to send in National guard troops. 

B) there is an active investigation as to why the capitol police were ordered to not use lethal force against the rioters by their superiors and why they failed to enforce the lockdown. This investigation was initiated by Tim Ryan. 

So nothing is being proposed in Trump having direct action in initiating and coordinating the riot. They were proposing that his words incited the violence. So I am curious what you considered in his words to have been the trigger that puts them over the line?

They were proposing that his words incited the violence. So I am curious what you considered in his words to have been the trigger that puts them over the line?
This is a fair question and obviously it’s central to the impeachment trial. But it’s one that will be answered at length by the House Managers beginning a week from tomorrow. So rather than rely on short opinions offered here, why not wait until we hear what they have to say? And what Trump’s defense team says in response? I’m sure that afterwards you’ll have definite opinions which I’d very much like to read, and I will of course as well. 

Well a) that didn't happen. People have made open ended accusations but no one has officially proposed the idea that Trump refused to send in National guard troops. 
This line of discussion deviates from the point. We don't need to talk about "accusations" or "official proposals". We can simply discuss what Trump, as president, failed to do: he failed to take action to try and stop his supporters from killing the police.

He failed Ethics 101.

When he saw his supporters attacking the nation's institutions, he didn't insist on doing everything he could to stop it. Instead, he sat back and watched -- reportedly with self-satisfaction at the idea of his followers committing crimes on his behalf.

The fact that we are having this discussion is really all the proof needed to show that Donald Trump (or any president) should never have access to that kind of power again.

So I am curious what you considered in his words to have been the trigger that puts them over the line?
I've been pretty consistent with my belief that Trump should not have been impeached for "Incitement". He should have been impeached for being "Unfit For Office". We should not disqualify him for his words alone, but for his words and his actions -- before his speech, and during the riot.

I've been pretty consistent with my belief that Trump should not have been impeached for "Incitement". He should have been impeached for being "Unfit For Office". We should not disqualify him for his words alone, but for his words and his actions -- before his speech, and during the riot.
This leaves open the interpretation to whoever is the controlling party. Anyone can be deemed "unfit for office" if they have anough partisan votes to convict. There is nothing tangible that can be pointed to, so the whole process is completely transparent as to why it was done. 

This is a fair question and obviously it’s central to the impeachment trial. But it’s one that will be answered at length by the House Managers beginning a week from tomorrow. So rather than rely on short opinions offered here, why not wait until we hear what they have to say? And what Trump’s defense team says in response? I’m sure that afterwards you’ll have definite opinions which I’d very much like to read, and I will of course as well. 
So another "we need to read it to find out" moment? You're ok with wasting taxpayer money on a partisan political maneuver on the belief they have any kind of argument that would matter in an impeachment trial? The initial vote showed how this is going to go. Any presentation short of a video or voice recording of Trump planning an attack with the assailants is not going to sway anyone to change their vote. I'd wager the some of 5 Republicans that did vote it was constitutional might vote against impeaching and try stating that they only thought it constitutional and not that they agreed with it to help calm their constituents. In which case it's an even bigger waste of time and money. 

Even Biden understands that this is not going to help his already rocky start as president. He wants this whole thing to go away as fast as possible.

So another "we need to read it to find out" moment? You're ok with wasting taxpayer money on a partisan political maneuver on the belief they have any kind of argument that would matter in an impeachment trial? The initial vote showed how this is going to go. Any presentation short of a video or voice recording of Trump planning an attack with the assailants is not going to sway anyone to change their vote. I'd wager the some of 5 Republicans that did vote it was constitutional might vote against impeaching and try stating that they only thought it constitutional and not that they agreed with it to help calm their constituents. In which case it's an even bigger waste of time and money. 

Even Biden understands that this is not going to help his already rocky start as president. He wants this whole thing to go away as fast as possible.
A recording of him saying I want a coup won't lead to a conviction.

How were they more? Please tell what in them goes beyond what you feel is acceptable. 
Other people have gone into it...including the most recent post by Snorklenson in the Are we already living in a dictatorship thread is a good example.

But the point...is I don't think it matters what I will present as why it goes beyond...  But we are at an impasse that I would rather not go back and forth any more about it...because you will likely not ever agree with me or those of us thinking Trump has some responsibility for his actions and words and that they were a large part of what happened that day.   

We definitely view this situation very differently, and you completely misinterpreted my reply to you. I never wrote or implied “we need to find out”; I pointed out that the answer to your question by the House Managers would be more complete, more organized, more free of possible error than any you’ll receive here. 

We definitely view this situation very differently, and you completely misinterpreted my reply to you. I never wrote or implied “we need to find out”; I pointed out that the answer to your question by the House Managers would be more complete, more organized, more free of possible error than any you’ll receive here. 

Right, truth seekers don't wishcast based on what fits their bias. They...wait for the truth. Cool concept, huh.

If Trump's defense is "stolen election," it seems to me that that puts the Rs in a very difficult position.  How do any of the Republicans ask questions of him?  What do they ask or say in that context? 
He is not going to take the stand so there will be no questions for him to answer.

Right, truth seekers don't wishcast based on what fits their bias. They...wait for the truth. Cool concept, huh.
Part of being accused of something is being presented beforehand on the evidence of that accusation so that you can properly defend yourself. We have yet to see the evidence. Just personal opinion being passed off as evidence. Which again is why this whole thing is a farce. The leap made to impeachment was so quick and rash it was comically incompetent. 

Part of being accused of something is being presented beforehand on the evidence of that accusation so that you can properly defend yourself. We have yet to see the evidence. Just personal opinion being passed off as evidence. Which again is why this whole thing is a farce. The leap made to impeachment was so quick and rash it was comically incompetent. 
They tried this route last time - presenting plenty of evidence before the impeachment, and well, we saw where that went. Can't blame them for rushing this through while the video evidence of the Capitol riot is fresh in everyone's minds

Users who are viewing this thread