What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Zack Moss, CIN (3 Viewers)

I take draft capital doesn't matter? His improved 40 puts him that rb 3-6 range this year. 
I would be very surprised if he is drafted in early to mid first round of dynasty drafts, but I would be ecstatic if it does.  That would mean a better player falls to me hopefully.  I personally believe he's a dud.

I think RB's 1-5 are super jumbled. I can make a case for Moss as RB1, but it really depends where these guys end up, because they all have very different skill sets.

If a team wants a chain mover, whose only hole is big-play ability they should take Moss. If they want a big play runner, and are ok with a zero in the passing game, they should take Taylor. If they want a slightly less big play runner, but a non-zero in the passing game they should take Dobbins. If they want a pass catcher they should take Edwards-Helaire. If they want a slightly lesser pass catcher, but more explosive player, they'll take Swift. 

I would be very surprised if he is drafted in early to mid first round of dynasty drafts, but I would be ecstatic if it does.  That would mean a better player falls to me hopefully.  I personally believe he's a dud.
Just spit-balling, but I think he'll end up being a 1st round rookie pick in most leagues - mixed in with the early drafted recievers. A lot of people insist on taking running backs with their 1sts. 

Yeah a hamstring that bothered him so bad he finished the days workouts... 
I don't pretend to have all the answers, but it's a possible explanation as to why he ran a lot faster. I know most players have better times on their pro days, but not by .13, that's pretty significant. And it was electronically timed which gives it a little more credibility.

I agree about the whole hamstring excuse seeming fishy. It's like a go to for guys who run bad. But the dog might really eat your homework sometimes. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll never understand the "he's making up the hamstring thing" thing. It's almost like people forget that there is a range of severity to injuries. 

Yes he might have fibbed about it. He also might have been telling the truth. There is *zero* evidence to be calling this kid a liar. As a former athlete the idea of pushing through a minor injury for what is perceived to be an incredibly important set of measurements seems totally likely. 

It is also possible that sitting out for a minor tweak would look bad to a scout. "What? He is slow *and* injured or soft?"

I'm not saying he is fast but FFS there is *zero* basis to call him a liar. That's all. 

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
For those that are calling him a liar - It is a fishy story for only one reason - because you don't like him. Which is fine but c'mon. 

sure, its plausible. If he had anyone worthwhile advising him theyd have told him to stop immediately; he could only hurt his stock by continuing. Or maybe he didn't tell anyone. idk

oh believe me, I understand different levels of injury. If you hurt yourself on one event, you should pull yourself out of everything following. the risk for serious injury (rupture, ligamentous injury, etc) goes up significantly when you play/participate hurt. 

actually, I was one of the first on this train... after I researched him further I felt he was just another Montgomery and I started to doubt what I saw during the season. I'm not sure where I stand, but I didnt care for Montgomery and he reminds me an awful lot of him. I love his work ethic and his attitude. Not sure I see his profile translating to the nfl. He is my RB5 right now. A good chance I'll be in a position looking at him as a draft option, which is why I am in the thread... not to hate/troll
Athletes push thru minor injuries all the time. *Some* would advise him to stop for the day, others would say that looks weak. Ultimately, regardless of how he is counseled, he is the one that made the decision. He would hardly be the first young athlete to do the same. 

Anyway if someone doesn't like him that's fine. Calling him a liar is baseless.

Both aren't electronically timed I don't believe.  Aren't private workouts for the 40 handled by a stopwatch, which seems to always favor the runner.
To get the two places past the decimal, I’d bet the stopwatch was electronic. Thus electronically timed...

Make no mistake, private workouts always are better timed. But make no further mistake, the stopwatches are electronic. ;)

What reason do you think personal workouts always have better times?
Joe Bob the trainer is holding the electronic device from start to finish. Timing from an odd angle instead of right up at the start and end lines.

Combine - Probably have the same persons clicking the start and end times for better continuity. They also probably use the side cameras with timers on them along with a stopwatch at the 40.  Thus the delay in reporting official times instead of just showing a stopwatch as official.

So for clarification, are you saying stopwatches with two digits past the decimal are not electronic?

Or do you honestly think they are using a sun dial and saying one-Mississippi, two-Mississippi, three... it’s okay to admit it either way.

A private work out is sketchy; but so is a guy trying to time him from the video he posted. 
Well I used my stopwatch on my phone during his clip, I clocked him at 4.29.  

I have way more faith in analyzing a video with no agenda than the guy himself saying he ran X fast.  All the combine participants did the same thing, and they were shown otherwise.  None proved to be right in what they thought they'd run.  

His time is crap, and he cemented himself as a worse version of David Montgomery rather than a better one. 

Joe Bob the trainer is holding the electronic device from start to finish. Timing from an odd angle instead of right up at the start and end lines.

Combine - Probably have the same persons clicking the start and end times for better continuity. They also probably use the side cameras with timers on them along with a stopwatch at the 40.  Thus the delay in reporting official times instead of just showing a stopwatch as official.

So for clarification, are you saying stopwatches with two digits past the decimal are not electronic?

Or do you honestly think they are using a sun dial and saying one-Mississippi, two-Mississippi, three... it’s okay to admit it either way.
No, I just wanted your opinion as to why personal workout always produce better times.

His time is crap, and he cemented himself as a worse version of David Montgomery rather than a better one. 
I don't follow where you made the jump from his private work out time being crap to cementing himself as a worse version Monty. 

Well I used my stopwatch on my phone during his clip, I clocked him at 4.29.  

I have way more faith in analyzing a video with no agenda than the guy himself saying he ran X fast.  All the combine participants did the same thing, and they were shown otherwise.  None proved to be right in what they thought they'd run.  
Having watched the video, it's pretty difficult from the camera angle to know exactly when he crosses the end line. So that's why I'm skeptical of somebody timing it himself. I'm also skeptical of a guy posting a video with his buddy timing it. 

Honestly, I choose to pretend this video never happened. 

A private work out is sketchy; but so is a guy trying to time him from the video he posted. 
The guy doing so has been timing players this way at least since 2014 so I think his method may have some merit.

If you spent a lot of time measuring and recording this data over the years I cant imagine doing so without accuracy and consistency being the main goals and priorities.

@ZWK have you cross checked Xues data vs the combine for differences?

I seem to recall you talking about that before.

I don't follow where you made the jump from his private work out time being crap to cementing himself as a worse version Monty. 
I guess it was a different thread that I made that comparison to Montgomery pending the workout.  Don't mind me I'm all over the place.

The guy doing so has been timing players this way at least since 2014 so I think his method may have some merit.

If you spent a lot of time measuring and recording this data over the years I cant imagine doing so without accuracy and consistency being the main goals and priorities.

@ZWK have you cross checked Xues data vs the combine for differences?

I seem to recall you talking about that before.
Yeah. The conclusion was that Xue's measurements hold weight. I'd put more stock in them than in a pro day report, but less stock in them than the official time that gets reported on draftscout.

The method was that, a few years back I had 3 sources for combine 40 time estimates for each player: Xue's estimate, the initially reported number from draftscout, and the final updated number reported from draftscout. If you tried to predict the final updated draftscout number, you would get a more accurate estimate if you took both of the other two numbers into account (with slightly more weight on the initial draftscout number). That means that both the Xue estimate and the initially draftscout estimate both contained some information that the other one was missing, and Xue was almost as good as draftscout's initial work at getting an accurate number.

I agree that the angle makes it harder for Xue, but also the timing at this workout is way sketchier than the timing at the combine by an independent organization.

I guess it was a different thread that I made that comparison to Montgomery pending the workout.  Don't mind me I'm all over the place.
I recall that, but I still do not follow. How has his workout cemented him as worse when his numbers are nearly identical to Monty? 

I recall that, but I still do not follow. How has his workout cemented him as worse when his numbers are nearly identical to Monty? 
Basically just age for me.  They're only about 6 months apart, and Montgomery has NFL experience that he wasn't horrible.  I had them in the same tiers in their respective classes in terms of talent, so athleticism was the next piece of the puzzle.  They are both poor athletes and I expect Moss' draft capital to be worse than Montgomery's was.  The thing is we know Montgomery's agility and burst numbers, we don't on Moss.  It's an incomplete picture so with the information I have, he has to be a worse version at this moment.  '

The one thing that does give Moss an advantage is his pass catching resume, but I don't think he's special in that area so that makes me believe he's replaceable.  

I expect Moss' draft capital to be worse than Montgomery's was.  
I think you are possibly wrong. And if you're correct, it's not because Moss is a much worse prospect but because this is a stronger rb draft. If they came out the same year, they would be picked pretty close to each other.

Similar stats, even throwing out Moss's senior year (since Monty was in the NFL at that age). Monty has more rushing yards, but Moss also missed some games his jr year. One thing that might jump out is Moss having a higher ypc junior year 6.1 to 4.7, actually just college career higher ypc in general. Receiving stats were pretty close.

Moss was PFF's top running back before the combine, ahead of Jonathon Taylor and De'Andre Swift. I think that's pretty significant though. Monty was 3rd behind Miles Sanders and Josh Jacobs.

And obviously the combine is a push, they both kind of sucked it up.

Looking at Moss vs Montgomery without bias just facts, I think you'd say they are pretty close as prospects, take-your-pick kind of thing. 

ESPN's Josh Weinfuss reports the Cardinals have been doing their "due diligence" on Utah RB Zack Moss. 

Moss had a rough Combine but is known for his physicality and tackle-breaking. In theory, he would be a nice complement to the more explosive Kenyan Drake. Moss is also a competent pass catcher. Despite his shaky Combine, Moss has a good chance at coming off the board on Day 2.  

RELATED: 

Arizona Cardinals

SOURCE: Josh Weinfuss on Twitter 

Mar 31, 2020, 3:51 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Utah RB Zack Moss has been given a clean bill of health on his surgically-repaired knee. 

Schefter's report is via Moss' agent. Moss went under the knife in 2018 but appeared in all 13 games for the Utes last season. Moss hasn't had the greatest of offseasons, hurting his hamstring and having an underwhelming Combine, but the physical runner still seems to be in good shape to come off the board on Day 2. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Apr 9, 2020, 2:19 PM ET

Lions had a second visit with Utah RB Zack Moss.

Detroit has been linked to a number of running backs throughout the offseason, holding virtual meetings with Georgia's D'Andre Swift, Ohio State's J.K. Dobbins, and Appalachian State's Darrynton Evans. The team has also been rumored to consider Wisconsin's Jonathan Taylor at No. 35 overall. Regardless of his talent, the organization is clearly looking to add another viable runner behind Kerryon Johnson, who has missed 14 of a possible 32 games with multiple knee injuries since joining the Lions as their No. 43 overall pick in '18. Coach Matt Patricia’s preference to rotate backs on gameday likely leaves Johnson stuck in a committee (again) this upcoming season.

RELATED: 

Kerryon Johnson

, D'Andre Swift

, Darrynton Evans

, J.K. Dobbins

, Detroit Lions

SOURCE: Logan Lamorandier on Twitter

Apr 16, 2020, 9:45 PM ET

There won't be a bigger post-draft riser than this guy.  He just needs to be drafted by a team with an immediate need  of a Marion Barber hammer, and he'll be a top 5 pick.
Tough to see good landing spots for all these RBs. How many teams have an immediate need?

Tough to see good landing spots for all these RBs. How many teams have an immediate need?
Need for a primary back? Miami has a huge hole. Then you have chi, det, Tb, nyj, ind, bal, kc, buf, lar, lac, sf, sea, gb, Atl, was, phi, ari, and ten. 

Need for a primary back? Miami has a huge hole. Then you have chi, det, Tb, nyj, ind, bal, kc, buf, lar, lac, sf, sea, gb, Atl, was, phi, ari, and ten. 
Most of those teams don’t need a primary back, especially gb, ind, tenn buf, atl, lac, and phi.

Miami- a massive hole for sure, their backfield stinks

Chicago- they just took a RB last year in the early 3rd, that is earlier than I expect Moss to go and toss in Cohen, I don't see Moss walking in there and being anything but 3rd on the depth chart

Detroit- Kerryon's play has been solid but his health has been the issue, I could see Moss being part of a 50-50 split there

Tampa- whatever RB lands there is in great position to have a big rookie year

NYJ- at least for this season they have a large contract with an All Pro RB

Indy- Mack, Hines and Moss could be messy but Mack also played pretty well last year and I don't see him losing much of his workload if healthy

Bal- good landing spot, might be messy year 1 but very nice for year 2 and beyond

KC- a dream landing spot but Damien Williams isn't just going away

Buf- Singletary isn't going away either, he's getting a lot of touches next year

LAR- wildcard spot since we really don't know what Henderson is

LAC- good spot  but obvious committee with uncertainty at QB

SF- messy platoon but good longterm potential

Sea- good landing spot as Carson and Penny look shaky

GB- I guess but there current duo did awfully well last season

Atl- Todd Gurley

Was- Peterson is old and Guice has had injuries so this could be a sweet destination or a one way ticket to palookaville

Phi- There is room for a committee here but Miles Sanders looks like one of the marquee pieces of this offense

Ari- not a bad spot, Drake is suspect

Ten- Nothing to see here in 2020 but might be a goldmine for 2021

And don't forget there is Swiftm Taylor, CEH, Akers, and Dobbins who are all expected to go before Moss. Dillon could as well. There are only a couple sports where I see he could land and jump up so much in value. 

Chicago- they just took a RB last year in the early 3rd, that is earlier than I expect Moss to go and toss in Cohen, I don't see Moss walking in there and being anything but 3rd on the depth chart

Detroit- Kerryon's play has been solid but his health has been the issue, I could see Moss being part of a 50-50 split there

Indy- Mack, Hines and Moss could be messy but Mack also played pretty well last year and I don't see him losing much of his workload if healthy

Bal- good landing spot, might be messy year 1 but very nice for year 2 and beyond

Buf- Singletary isn't going away either, he's getting a lot of touches next year

Atl- Todd Gurley

Was- Peterson is old and Guice has had injuries so this could be a sweet destination or a one way ticket to palookaville

Phi- There is room for a committee here but Miles Sanders looks like one of the marquee pieces of this offense

And don't forget there is Swiftm Taylor, CEH, Akers, and Dobbins who are all expected to go before Moss. Dillon could as well. There are only a couple sports where I see he could land and jump up so much in value. 
Right, not a lot of landing spots that you aren’t waiting a year on or being a committee, other than Miami. Pretty much all those others listed would be in the market for a rb, some will take one, some won’t. Seems all the rookie rbs are worth a lot right now, but I don’t see a lot of places where they would get a bump post draft. 

Pittsburgh is among the best spots for a runningback and they interviewed Moss at the combine for what it's worth. He is a similar player to Conner, but I'm pretty sure he's better in almost every way. The Steelers will probably take him in the 2nd or 3rd, maybe 4th.

Pittsburgh is among the best spots for a runningback and they interviewed Moss at the combine for what it's worth. He is a similar player to Conner, but I'm pretty sure he's better in almost every way. The Steelers will probably take him in the 2nd or 3rd, maybe 4th.
Yes, Pittsburgh is a definite landing spot IMO, just hope they choose someone else besides Moss.

Would be nice to see Pitt get some desperately needed quickness in that backfield.

I hope more people have the same illogical viewpoint on Moss as JohnnyU does.  
Well, let's see, I prefer obviously Swift, Taylor, Dobbins, and Akers over Moss.  Throw in CEH too.  Not sure about Gibson, Benjamin, McFarland, Vaughn and Dillon.

Moss has warts that I would rather look at other positions in the 2nd round of rookie drafts.  In a start 1 qb league I'd much rather take Burrow or Tua in the 2nd over Moss.  There are also several WRs that will fall into the 2nd that I prefer over Moss.  If by some miracle Moss goes in the first round of any of my rookie drafts I consider that a plus for me picking after that owner.

Yes I forgot Pittsburgh, I’d put them right up near the top (not that my list was in any order.) 

Well, let's see, I prefer obviously Swift, Taylor, Dobbins, and Akers over Moss.  Throw in CEH too.  Not sure about Gibson, Benjamin, McFarland, Vaughn and Dillon.
He's in the conversation there; I expect him to go around the same as Akers and CEH, ahead of the others mentioned. You can't ignore the warts, lack of elusiveness and getaway speed, but all 2+ rounders have some. Still give him credit as a well rounded player and what he did at Utah. He was the centerpiece of a good offense, pretty sure in this class only Taylor has more career rushing yards, ( but not more receiving yards).

He's in the conversation there; I expect him to go around the same as Akers and CEH, ahead of the others mentioned. You can't ignore the warts, lack of elusiveness and getaway speed, but all 2+ rounders have some. Still give him credit as a well rounded player and what he did at Utah. He was the centerpiece of a good offense, pretty sure in this class only Taylor has more career rushing yards, ( but not more receiving yards).
Anyone in fantasy that takes Moss over Akers or CEH has lost th.......nevermind 

Atl- Todd Gurley

If Fournette gets traded Jax goes right to the top of the list as there is literally no other competition there.

Users who are viewing this thread