What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Grocery store talk - pandemic edition (1 Viewer)

Evening is best.  7pm?  I have been putting everything possible in the oven before I eat it to Provide another layer of safety.  Good luck.

I don’t have enough Clorox wipes to wipe every box down.
I never have used Clorox wipes or anything similar to wipe down groceries. Instead, I use some of the isopropyl alcohol I bought to make hand sanitizer. I wet folder-up paper towels with alcohol and wipe down items that way. 

Yeah, after seeing BF's post, now I'm feeling pretty inadequate. :unsure:   However, as for me...

I just move through the market like a SWAT team, calculating my steps 10 feet ahead of time, with alternate routes and reversals planned at every turn. Directly to my items. Route planned ahead of time. I know this tundra like the back of my hand. It feels like home, just with more masks. Diverting from the plan only with a stray text from my child with a super-important request of something like Takis or Laffy Taffy or root beer in the glass bottles. But being the hero father I am, I break ranks and make that trek back around to the other side of the market and I do it with the pride only a father can feel. I sidle up to the self-checkout, masking my mild displeasure of no in-person checkouts being open, which will delay my planned time-in-store, but only slightly, because fortunately I have the self-checkout skill that most can only aspire to. Produce item that requires a PLU lookup? Pfft, no problem. I can ring up bananas in my sleep (PLU 4011, you're welcome). Alcohol purchase requiring an ID verification? Please. I eat pieces of #### like that for breakfast. I flag the lady down before I ring that up and tell her I'm going to need her in just a minute, to which she happily obliges and pre-approves the remainder of my approval-requiring purchases. Yes sir. I was born for this. 

Walk softly, wash with soap and water, and carry an aerosolized disinfectant I always say. :coffee:  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abVJLOPBnXU

I'm not ashamed to spend too much time keeping my family safe.  I have regrets in life but knowing that I exposed my family to a deadly virus because I wanted to stock up on a couple quick things isn't going to be one of them.  
No need to be, GB. The fact that other people assess the risks differently shouldn't make you feel defensive about your own assessments. Everyone has different immediate circumstances.

Nathan R. Jessep said:
I went this morning, Walmart Neighborhood Market. I went about 8:30 (they open at 8). There were few people and I was able to keep distance , only coming anywhere close to anyone twice my whole trip, one of those being the lady at self-checkout who had to approve my alcohol purchase(s).  TP and water were plentiful (since they implemented 1 per customer policy) and I didn't notice anything being completely sold out.  My only gripe was there were no checkouts open today, so had to do self-checkout with a buggy full, which is fine, other than it takes longer that way. 
More importantly, how has this virus effected your hug game? 

stbugs said:
Agreed. I took today and tomorrow off (plan was 6 days off for spring break) and I did my Costco run that I hadn’t done in weeks. $800 in groceries later, we’re good for a while (wife and 3 teenage boys). There are some small things we could use from the grocery store so I will likely do pickup (always booked) or do what I did today and do a stock up run. I’d hope that we’re good for at least a few weeks. Trying to keep the runs down with online orders as well, but I couldn’t imagine how much today would have cost me online.

I sure didn’t pull a Fred but I did do gloves and a mask and went before Costco opened (they were open a half hour before scheduled). Threw away the gloves and sanitized after before driving. I did wipe down the car and all door handles after I unpacked but I didn’t do anything too crazy. I don’t have enough Clorox wipes to wipe every box down. I tend to take things out of the boxes anyway and put those in our big recycling bin (same size as garbage). Wash my hands well after unloading and putting things in pantries and outside/inside fridges. I did throw my clothes in the washer and shower after unpacked. I think I’m just before the almost crazy line, way safer than most folks but not a doomsday prepper. 
So you did everything I did except wipe down your groceries and wash your clothes. I won't argue if you don't think it's important to do those, you're probably safe unless someone coughed on it or shed virus directly on you recently. 

But then why do you bother wiping down the car and door handles? Because your hands might have been dirty... when you touched all the groceries... and brought them in your home?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried Publix home delivery yesterday just to test the water (instacart). 

I ordered 10 items. 7 were substituted that I had to approve thru texts. The upcharge was only $7 and $2 of that was for ordering beer (we did bonus tip $5 cash).

Received same day hot fried chicken and cold Sweetwater 420. Plus one 6-pack of TP. Not bad!

honky kong said:
I figure if I'm going to catch this virus, I'm probably going to pick it up from the grocery store. So I'm trying to figure out the best time to go to minimize the risk. I've been going on a weekday before 7 am and there aren't too many shoppers but  there are stockers on most of the aisles. Now I'm thinking a Monday night around 8 might be the way to go. Anybody found the sweet spot?
I get this thinking, and seem to hit similar.   When given the choice, I will roll the dice on the side of more employees vs. more customers.    The stores I go to seem to be taking some precautions with masks, plastic guards, etc..  so I will take a few more of those people walking around vs. Average Joe customer and assume that the store is on top of them washing hands and disinfecting things.    I was just in the store today for a run, and not sure if even 25% of the customers were bothering with anything over their faces still so that also plays into my decision.  

Been going about once a week.  Mask, no gloves.  Trying to keep my distance.  Following all the "rules" at the stores.  Not wiping anything down.  I'm not in a hotspot, thankfully.  I would probably do things differently if I was.  Maybe that's short-sighted of me.  

So you did everything I did except wipe down your groceries and wash your clothes. I won't argue if you don't think it's important to do those, you're probably safe unless someone coughed on it or shed virus directly on you recently. 

But then why do you bother wiping down the car and door handles? Because your hands might have been dirty... when you touched all the groceries... and brought them in your home?
I just did but after I had taken stuff out of boxes and wrapping, which is why I did all the knobs as well. I’m sure I wasn’t perfect. That said, I don’t think there was anything touched so I wasn’t truly worried. With Costco almost everything on pallets and I’m anal enough to grab the ones that look untouched. Definitely better to go before it opens.

bostonfred said:
I don't think there's a safe time to go but if they disinfect a lot at night and a little throughout the day then it stands to reason that early is safer than later, but neither is completely safe.

My process 

- make a printed list of all essentials a couple days before going.  Add to the list as you realize that you're getting low on toothpaste or need a new can opener, etc.  

- understand how much freezer space i have before i go. Plan to buy meats that can go in the freezer after a couple days 

- wear old clothes 

- clean out trunk except for Clorox wipes and a trash bag 

- have a couple clean sleds or other containers in the garage ready for when i get back

- bring a mask and two sets of gloves. The first set goes on before i go inside. The second set goes in the driver seat.  

- go alone. This isn't a field trip to bring your kids. 

- have my credit card out in my pocket and leave everything else in the wallet in my car.  Bring cash as backup

- get shopping cart, wipe it down and shop. Avoid things that aren't in packages that can be wiped down or washed easily. 

- check out using credit card and get disposable bags 

- pack groceries in trunk.  Remove old gloves, put in trash.  Clean hands and the handle to the trunk, get in car, drive home. 

- park car in garage, take off shirt pants and shoes, throw clothes in washer. Wash hands.  Shower.  Change into new clothes and put on new gloves. 

- take one item at a time out of the trunk, wipe down with disinfectant wipes, put in sled a couple feet away.  Every square inch of every item gets wiped down thoroughly.  

- if multiple trips are required, change gloves and bring the sled only inside the house for wife to unpack. Wait for her to finish then repeat until all groceries are inside and put away. 

- when finished, wipe down the trunk, the drivers seat and steering wheel, door handles going in and out, basically the whole cockpit

- take off shirt pants and shoes, put clothes in washer and run on sanitize.

- wash hands and shower again
Were you super careful prior to this virus?  Is this just because of this virus or were you really careful before (compared to most people) and this is just a slight cramp up?

Just trying to see if this is a complete change in your view or not?

sho nuff said:
2 gallons of milk barely last the week with 4 of us here eating every meal.  Fresher vegetables (mainly now just bagged salad) don't last 2 weeks.  Nor do fruits.  
We drink a lot of milk. Well, my 2 year old does. We go through a gallon every 2 days, 3 days max. So we probably hit up the grocery store every 5 days or so since most places limit you to 2 gallons at a time. But we also use Shipt so probably actually go out to get groceries every 7 to 10 days. 

I just got back from my local Kroger because we needed some milk and eggs.   I pull into the lot around 7:45pm and it is almost empty.   I put my mask and gloves on and go in go in and an employee is spraying down carts with sanitizer.  It was a ghost town so I did a huge shopping.  I cross the paper aisle and it was empty.  As I came back around I see a guy rolling out pallets of paper towels and toilet paper.   They allowed one of each but the toilet paper was 18 rolls and the paper towels 12 so we are set for awhile.  That in itself made it worthwhile.   We were down to one roll of paper towel and 2 rolls of toilet paper.

Were you super careful prior to this virus?  Is this just because of this virus or were you really careful before (compared to most people) and this is just a slight cramp up?

Just trying to see if this is a complete change in your view or not?
Complete change.  I'm the opposite of a germaphobe. I'm the dad who plays in the ball pit with his kid and would gladly send his kid to visit the friend with chicken pox. Use your immune system.  Get it out of the way when you're young.  I don't go out of my way to eat organic or avoid red meat or GMOs. 

This is different.  People aren't just dying.  People my age who live are facing serious permanent effects.  I am in ok shape, much better than i was a year ago today, but I haven't treated my body great over the years and my brother died a couple years ago from cancer.  My kid is on the autism spectrum and losing me would probably derail his chance at the life I'm trying to provide because i spend so much time trying to help him. My mom is in her seventies and almost totally reliant on me - if i went i don't think she'd last much longer.  My wife... well, in the file cabinet under Life Insurance there's a copy of my policy and a suspicious brochure for a resort in the Caribbean. But we help take care of her mom too after her dad passed. So to me this is worth being overly cautious.  

If you aren't at our store when doors open at 8 a.m. you aren't getting TP. Other than that, any time seems fine. Plenty of meat, milk, eggs, etc.  We go once a week and while I respect BF for what he is doing, there is no way in hell I am going through all that to get groceries. The day may come that I regret that choice I suppose. But I simply can't imagine wiping down each and every item I buy, changing clothes multiple times, multiple showers, etc.

Complete change.  I'm the opposite of a germaphobe. I'm the dad who plays in the ball pit with his kid and would gladly send his kid to visit the friend with chicken pox. Use your immune system.  Get it out of the way when you're young.  I don't go out of my way to eat organic or avoid red meat or GMOs. 

This is different.  People aren't just dying.  People my age who live are facing serious permanent effects.  I am in ok shape, much better than i was a year ago today, but I haven't treated my body great over the years and my brother died a couple years ago from cancer.  My kid is on the autism spectrum and losing me would probably derail his chance at the life I'm trying to provide because i spend so much time trying to help him. My mom is in her seventies and almost totally reliant on me - if i went i don't think she'd last much longer.  My wife... well, in the file cabinet under Life Insurance there's a copy of my policy and a suspicious brochure for a resort in the Caribbean. But we help take care of her mom too after her dad passed. So to me this is worth being overly cautious.  
I guess I just haven't seen this as much different than the flu other than being a new strain.  Upon researching I was surprised at how deadly the flu is on a yearly basis.  Much worse than I ever imagined and there isn't this much concern.  I do understand that if you have underlying conditions that make you at risk that taking extra precautions as you have outlined is warranted, but I would think that should also apply to the other flu strains.  People should be this concerned about any flu strain.  

I take regular precautions (wash hands more, use sanitizer, and am wearing a mask because it is being mandated by my employer when in the office).  I have never had a flu shot although I may look into it next year after seeing how bad the flu can be.  I just see COVID as the flu with a better marketing department.  

I take regular precautions (wash hands more, use sanitizer, and am wearing a mask because it is being mandated by my employer when in the office).  I have never had a flu shot although I may look into it next year after seeing how bad the flu can be.  I just see COVID as the flu with a better marketing department.  
You seem fairly uninformed. Not knocking you. As you saw above, I'm not doing any sort of "over the top" stuff. But saying this is just another flu shows a fairly compete lack of knowledge about what scientists and health officials are saying about this virus.

Don't want to start WWIII but for those taking extensive steps as listed above, I see no mention of what you do with your credit cards.  Do you use Google Pay or Apple Pay?  IF this thing can last on surfaces for a long period of time, it'd most definitely be on the card reader you stick your card in.  I take hand sanitizer with me and my store literally sprays down the carts after every use and provides wipes as you walk in the door.  I get items from the back of the shelf, not the front don't take a single personal thing out of my vehicle except my phone to pay with so I don't have to use a card.  I touch nothing but the food and cart and I stay away from everyone.  I don't even go down an isle with someone else in it.  I don't wipe down items after they are home, but I do wash my hands anytime I am getting anything to eat, even snack foods.  My freezer is full of pint glasses (probably 2 dozen at this point) for beers.

Rather than wiping down all the groceries, we leave the perishable stuff in the far corner of the garage for 2-3 days before using them.  There seems to be some common sense in this approach but I'm sure there are thousands of articles to dispute it.

Courtjester said:
Great breakdown Boston--this is very much what we do. We don't go in stores and just use curbside or delivery for most everything. We just leave the non-perishable stuff in the car for up to 2-3 days. We always use my car, which is a hatchback with the backseats folded down, and we have a big tarp lining the back.

We have been staying home, but this is a big risk week for us. Wednesday we are getting up and going to Lowe's for propane right as they open at 6:00 am (no one delivers this around here) , then later in the morning my wife is going to the pharmacy for my insulin and other meds. This pharmacy doesn't offer a drive through--so not cool. She is also doing curbside pickup for alcohol right after this--not worried about that stop. We are doing a curbside grocery pickup up Friday and then also on that day, we are letting our 15 year old have a friend over for the first time, but they are going to stay outside. 

I hate that every move has to be thought out like this. 
I need propane. Do you have to enter the store at Lowes?

Courtjester said:
Great breakdown Boston--this is very much what we do. We don't go in stores and just use curbside or delivery for most everything. We just leave the non-perishable stuff in the car for up to 2-3 days. We always use my car, which is a hatchback with the backseats folded down, and we have a big tarp lining the back.

We have been staying home, but this is a big risk week for us. Wednesday we are getting up and going to Lowe's for propane right as they open at 6:00 am (no one delivers this around here) , then later in the morning my wife is going to the pharmacy for my insulin and other meds. This pharmacy doesn't offer a drive through--so not cool. She is also doing curbside pickup for alcohol right after this--not worried about that stop. We are doing a curbside grocery pickup up Friday and then also on that day, we are letting our 15 year old have a friend over for the first time, but they are going to stay outside. 

I hate that every move has to be thought out like this. 
Repost

I am just north of Detroit and I thought we were being cautious. Guess not.

We do the pickup at Kroger. Wipe down best we can when we get home. Other things sit in the car a day or two.

Amazon packages stay in front foyer for a day or two. Then they are opened, boxes are discarded and hands are washed. 

Hit local butcher at the corner for meat. Also an Einsteins for bagels once a week.

We also do carryout once a week to support the locals. Chest freezer still full. Thinking we need to start dwindling it down.

Stay safe.

We use: 

Shipt: Kroger

Walmart Curbside & Delivery 

Amazon 

VERY rarely set foot in a store 

Everything being shipped in is placed on a preset table & Wash hands. Usually wait a day then open. Place box in recycling bin next to table. Item is sprayed with Lysol / wiped with Lysol wipes and brought into house. Hands washed. Outside table sprayed with iso alcohol and wiped down. 

Groceries delivered and curbside are non contact. Bring inside to kitchen island. Slowly unpack and wiping down before placing on "clean" counter. Produce in sink. Bags nested inside each other then thrown away once at end. Hands washed. Items put away. Produce washed and put away. Contact surfaces (door knob, alarm pad, keys, phone) wiped down. 

So I went last night a little before 8. It wasn't deserted but the number of people in the store was reasonable and there were no stockers, so it was fairly easy to keep distance. The big exception was a younger couple in the fruits and vegetables (which is where I picture myself getting infected, standing there for 5 minutes trying to open one of those damned plastic bags), who just did not give two ##### about any of it. Invincibility of youth and all that, I guess. Otherwise, it was overall a better experience than going early.

Other than washing my hands afterwards and trying to avoid touching my face, I just do everything normally.  I've given up being extra cautious.  But I'm going into work everyday so I'm already accepting a decent amount of risk.

You guys don’t have Instacart or shipt near you? Or just rather not pay for it?
My wife does this and used Amazon a lot even before all this but it's been very hard to get a time slot. There's more demand than supply for grocery delivery at least in my area.  We've had 3 Amazon deliveries, all booked out several days in advance, and two of them were outright canceled. Not rescheduled. Call customer service and they tell you you can sign up for another slot but there is no other slot.  The third time they came but there were a bunch of missing items and you don't find out what will be missing until it arrives so how do you plan around that?  Buy extra stuff to make sure you at least get something?  

Instacart came by quickly and brought a bunch of the items we requested but instead of a case of water they brought a bottle.  Cool thanks.  At least they communicated better than Amazon.  

Other than washing my hands afterwards and trying to avoid touching my face, I just do everything normally.  I've given up being extra cautious.  But I'm going into work everyday so I'm already accepting a decent amount of risk.
If i was going to work i wouldn't take all the precautions i do when grocery shopping, but I'd take more precautions in the house than I do right now.  My house is a safe zone right now because we don't leave and when i bring anything in I thoroughly clean it so I don't really worry about washing my hands or touching my face.  If you're going in and out every day I assume you're washing hands a lot more.  I'd guess you're probably more willing to get take out than I am, too. 

I need propane. Do you have to enter the store at Lowes?
You do. I have spent the past week calling around various companies about propane delivery—no go in our town. I looked at Ace Hardware/ Lowe’s/Home Depot delivery and they won’t deliver full tanks. 

I am just going to go in tomorrow at 6:00 am when they open. I have the plan in my head how it will go—I will mask and glove up. Only my Cc and no wallet or phone in my pocket.  I am going to first swing down the cleaning aisle to see what’s available and then right to the register because you have to buy propane from an associate so they can get the person out there to open the cage. This will be one of the rare physical locations I have been in since the shutdown started here, but it doesn’t do any good to have a freezer full of meat if you can’t cook it. 

My wife does this and used Amazon a lot even before all this but it's been very hard to get a time slot. There's more demand than supply for grocery delivery at least in my area.  We've had 3 Amazon deliveries, all booked out several days in advance, and two of them were outright canceled. Not rescheduled. Call customer service and they tell you you can sign up for another slot but there is no other slot.  The third time they came but there were a bunch of missing items and you don't find out what will be missing until it arrives so how do you plan around that?  Buy extra stuff to make sure you at least get something?  

Instacart came by quickly and brought a bunch of the items we requested but instead of a case of water they brought a bottle.  Cool thanks.  At least they communicated better than Amazon.  
We are 6 days out for deliveries so we have to pretty much order Sunday to get Saturday etc. But our experience is you can see the changes they make due to stuff being out in real time so you can substitute yourself or tell them in the chat. It isn’t perfect but works fine for us. Then we wipe down everything upon entry. 

If i was going to work i wouldn't take all the precautions i do when grocery shopping, but I'd take more precautions in the house than I do right now.  My house is a safe zone right now because we don't leave and when i bring anything in I thoroughly clean it so I don't really worry about washing my hands or touching my face.  If you're going in and out every day I assume you're washing hands a lot more.  I'd guess you're probably more willing to get take out than I am, too. 
I live alone and believe I'm in good health, so I certainly don't have the concerns that many do.  My biggest concern is getting it and giving it to someone else at the office.  Only about half my department is off or working from home.  But those that are coming in are accepting risk as well.

I've only got take out once.  This has been good opportunity to cut some of that unhealthy eating out.

You seem fairly uninformed. Not knocking you. As you saw above, I'm not doing any sort of "over the top" stuff. But saying this is just another flu shows a fairly compete lack of knowledge about what scientists and health officials are saying about this virus.
Hence the better marketing department.  I know what is being said but the total number of deaths seem to be in line with the flu deaths that happen every year.  The lack of testing available (which is getting better) and the fact it is an unknown strain that humans haven't seen before has elevated concern (rightfully so).  I am not saying to go about your normal business because of the unknown.  I am saying it wouldn't surprise me that when this is all said and done that it is a flu strain (worse than some) that is in line with other flu strains. 

• Smile
Reactions: jwb
Here's a quick rundown of what we've been doing :

Disinfecting : 

I would say I'm at about 80% of what Fred does but I am going to step up my game though, good suggestions.  Also, I have both winter and summer floor mats for the cars (rubber for the winter, carpet for the summer) - the rubber mats stay in until this is over.  

Timeline :

Mid week, early, early morning only and if there's a line to get in, I'm not standing in it, I'm waiting in the car until there is no line.  From my experience, Friday - Monday have been very busy, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday have been much less busy from my anecdotal experience.

Stores :

Kroger : I was a little bit of a fan of Kroger before this, now I'm a super fan because they are MILITANT about distancing, well stocked up, very neat and clean plus they provide disposable gloves (small and large), wipes for carts, paper towels and the last time we went they had a security guard.  Very impressive, I felt very safe there.

Sam's Club : I'm a member of both Costco and Sam's Club - I have not been to Costco since this outbreak b/c Sam's Club is just kicking that much ####.  Very well stocked up, clean, very good about limitations, plenty of cashiers, meat selection has been very good. Cart wipes, no gloves.

Meijer : Once since this started, never again.  Not very clean, not well stocked up, not enough cashiers, etc.  Kroger is giving bonuses to their workers, etc.  I don't know if Meijer is or not but based on what I saw, I doubt it, I hope I'm wrong. Wipes empty, no gloves.

Walmart : Once since this started, probably won't go back through no fault of Walmart.  The problem with it was that it was way too crowded.  I will say, it was pretty clean (not Kroger but better than Meijer) well stocked but way, way too many people.  Cart wipes, no gloves.

Strategy :

Every other week is the game plan which started two weeks ago.  We have three masks total, they get lined with a blue, shop towel paper towel and re-used, we bring gloves from home and we keep wipes in a plastic bag in our pockets. We keep a running list on the kitchen counter top, my wife and I shop together because there are limits on meat (i.e. two pounds of ground beef per person, etc.) because our 15 year old eats and drinks like a horse, I do not understand how I've managed to gain weight during this while he remains the same, I'd kill for his metabolism.  The problem is that not one store has everything we need.  For example, Kroger has good meat selection but it's in small packages and they can't seem to keep up with wipes, cleaning fluids and soap while they have plenty of dairy products (cheese, milk, coffee cream, etc.)  Sam's Club has plenty of wipes, disinfectants, cleaning products, paper products and bulk items but there are some things we just don't have the room for too many bulk items and some things will go to waste (dairy products for example) or spoil and I'm pretty adamant about NOT wasting anything right now.  One of the biggest things I look for right now is expiration dates.  I would rather pay $5.00 for a gallon of milk at Kroger with a longer expiration date than $3 for 2 gallons of milk at Sam's Club that expire sooner (it's just an example.)  Brands and pricing are mostly out the window right now, if it's in stock in a brand I don't normally buy and that's my only option, so be it.  I really don't get too uptight about prices right now unless it's outrageously overpriced, then I'll do without if it's not a necessity but for the most part, I'm not really price shopping, it's more "if it's there, get it" mentality.

Hence the better marketing department.  I know what is being said but the total number of deaths seem to be in line with the flu deaths that happen every year.  The lack of testing available (which is getting better) and the fact it is an unknown strain that humans haven't seen before has elevated concern (rightfully so).  I am not saying to go about your normal business because of the unknown.  I am saying it wouldn't surprise me that when this is all said and done that it is a flu strain (worse than some) that is in line with other flu strains. 
I agree with you.

You guys don’t have Instacart or shipt near you? Or just rather not pay for it?
For me, rather not pay for it. That's kind of the showstopper for me, really, for any kind of new-school delivery service whatsoever.

For one: I can't get a good, firm read on the grocery-delivery service charges up front. Admittedly, I hadn't looked hard into the service charges ... but I've not even seen many helpful anecdotes, and those I have seen are all over the place ($110 just to pick up a big load of groceries? I'll mask up and do it myself, thanks). For two: I am seeing anecdotes that the tipping 'needs' to be extravagant.

Too rich for my blood. A similar issue has stopped me from even trying DoorDash, Uber Eats, Postmates, etc. I guess my time is cheap enough to me :shrug:  

Something else with the grocery delivery services -- the substitution-of-items issue seems to be a PITA to navigate. I don't want to give someone else free reign to substitute -- 9 times out of 10, if the item I want isn't there I skip it altogether and move in a different direction. On the other hand, I don't want to field 20 texts asking me is specific substitutions are OK.

I guess to sum it up ... I'm just not mentally "there" yet with new-school delivery services. Maybe if circumstances were such that I were truly unable to get out and do it myself ... maybe I'd change my tune and be more flexible about things and be more willing to "overpay" for the service (I'll always consider it "overpaying" unless I've got Scrooge McDuck cash to blow).

Another set of "nope, not yet" anecdotes for the pile.

Just don't want to deal with problems ... really any problems at all with this stuff for me compared to shopping for myself. New-school delivery can wait a few years for me.

:yes:

I just realized something: In a sense, your routine takes the place of something like "having to wash hands 30+ times a day". Does that sound right?

For me, personally, and I think many others ... the choice was made in the other direction: I wash/sanitize my hands 30-50 times a day. One 45-minute shopping trip is 15-20 "sanitizisations" alone for me.

Different strokes, to be sure.

We are 6 days out for deliveries so we have to pretty much order Sunday to get Saturday etc. But our experience is you can see the changes they make due to stuff being out in real time so you can substitute yourself or tell them in the chat. It isn’t perfect but works fine for us. Then we wipe down everything upon entry. 
The parts in red are deal breakers for me. Just want to deal with extra mental overhead regarding groceries.

One service that would be helpful (but frankly, not worth more than maybe $10 to me) would be "paper products scouring" -- a delivery service that made daily runs to a bunch of local stores scoring TP and paper towels for their customers. But current supply/demand of such a service probably puts the market rate out of my reach.

I just realized something: In a sense, your routine takes the place of something like "having to wash hands 30+ times a day". Does that sound right?

For me, personally, and I think many others ... the choice was made in the other direction: I wash/sanitize my hands 30-50 times a day. One 45-minute shopping trip is 15-20 "sanitizisations" alone for me.

Different strokes, to be sure.
Exactly.  My house is almost certainly virus free because we've all been quarantined in here over a month and haven't brought anything in that wasn't thoroughly cleaned. That's why i invest the extra time when I do break quarantine, and it's why i haven't gotten take out since early March.  But if any of us worked outside the house or had to go to the doctor's or anything that changed that, I would be back to washing hands, avoiding touching my face, regularly cleaning surfaces in my house and car and I'd definitely get take out. I would personally kill at least a few grandparents for a cup of coffee and a not frozen pizza. 

Users who are viewing this thread