What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Desert Island Album Draft - 15th Anniversary Edition - 50 Rounds in the books, sign up now for KP's listening program (2 Viewers)

Shuffle stuff

INXS - Mystify  -  Hutchence has that swagger in his voice even if the audience couldn't see him

Stevie Wonder - Smile - I love how the song starts with bongo and cymbal and adds the drums and backing vocals.

Pixies - Trompe le Monde - I used to listen to them all time but I can't remember the last time I heard this song

Daft Punk - Face to Face - It's good for what it is but I like my beats a little funkier

A Day In the Life - I read the news today oh boy.  I'll see your oh boy and raise you a oh ####

Last edited by a moderator:
My first 10 on shuffle were:

Norwegian Wood - already posted about this - really dig it.  

Alone Again Or -  Beautiful song.  Pretty sure it's been drafted in other drafts and it seems mildly familiar, really need to explore this more. 

Holidays in the Sun -  Love it, and I was thinking the other day during the Clash talk that it's songs and bands like this that set me up for not liking The Clash as much, as they are both listed in "all time punk albums" lists I come across but one is for sure not like the other.  

Return of the Grievous Angel -  Never heard this before, didn't skip it, but for sure is not my wheelhouse.   Don't know if it's true, but one of my first thoughts was - "this has to be a Simey song". 

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You -  one of my favorite LZ tunes

Paperback Writer -  again, love it.  

Mother -  I don't look at my phone as these start - I don't want biases to enter, or as few as possible.  I was fully on board, then we got to the last section of screaming and I wondered WTF is this??

Foreplay/Long Time -  I posted the other day that I listened to this album and forgot how damn good it was.  Now, unfortunately one of the thoughts I had was "yeah, Mrs. R ####ed to this the other night".  :oldunsure:

Rocks Off - Love this Stones tune, but don't love the album for some reason.   I really need to explore this more.  

Black Like Me.   - this is for sure another "explore more".  I know Spoon in periphery, seem to like most of what I hear, but I am not super familiar with them.  That should change.  

#11 was some Floyd so Eephus' post was great timing.  Thanks again to NV for firing this up, and every who participates.   I really needed this kick in the pants for digging back into music!! 

I'm ignoring the playlist and spinning the actual albums:

On now: A Hard Day's Night - If I Fell

eta* As krista4 covered in one of the unread write-ups in her Beatles thread, the endtro/beginning to A Hard Day's Night is just absolutely memorable and still kills upon every listen.

6.7 Oracular Spectacular by MGMT (2007)

neo-psychedelic indie pop rock extravaganza

I'm feelin' rough I'm feelin' raw I'm in the prime of my life
Let's make some music make some money find some models for wives
I'll move to Paris, shoot some heroin and #### with the stars
You man the island and the cocaine and the elegant cars

Time to Pretend

Electric Feel
This doesn't seem to fit my normal tastes, but Time to Pretend and Kids are absolutely incredible.

This is my favorite song within the context of the movie.  The gathering around and singing to Ringo was sweet, and of course this is one of my favorites overall anyway due to the swoony harmonies.
Before you posted this, I eta'd that post remembering the wonderful endtro/intro to Hard Days and the discussion it engendered. It might have even been the first Beatles thread where we were all hanging late night, but I'm pretty sure you covered it in your main one. 

Sweet Relief - A Benefit For Victoria Williams - Various Artists -  1993

A benefit/tribute for singer/songwriter Victoria Williams after she was diagnosed with MS. The compilation features a bunch of early 90s Rock luminaries including Pearl Jam, Soul Asylum and Matthew Sweet. It's a great introduction to Williams' music because a lot of people have trouble with her sing-song warbling for some reason.  If you can get past that, her debut album Happy Come Home with arrangements by the great Van Dyke Parks is terrific.

Tribute albums can a mixed bag but this one holds together well.  The artists bring their own personal styles to the material and the hippie sweetness of Williams' modern folktales shines through all of them (except maybe The Waterboys' song).  I don't know if being stranded on a desert island is anything like quarantining at home but if it is, a little sweetness and light is a precious commodity.

Lights - The Jayhawks  
Opelousas (Sweet Relief) - Maria McKee  @wikkidpissah's girl

In the words of The Great Sniper @Bonzai, "There are records out there by artists that I would have a back up plan for, but tragically, not this one."

If you take out the "tragically," I'm reshuffling my order to prioritize those for which I don't have a related backup.  As a result, I decided to move this one up, and I have now been informed the pick I moved in my mind to the 7th round will be sniped before that.  Thanks again, Bonzai!  ;)  

I mentioned earlier that my picks would become more personal as we went through the draft, and we've now hit probably the most important time of my life, musically.  In 1997 I saw in the Chicago Tribune an article about a local band, and as I looked closely I saw that one of the leads was someone I'd dated in high school.  Since I had been the dumper(?) rather than dumpee, I felt emboldened to track him down in the phone book (Tasker, google it) and give him a call.

What followed was the most exciting five or so years of my life, from a creative and musical standpoint.  Through him, I met basically everyone in the Chicago music scene (and dated a good portion of them).  And through all of those people, I was exposed to music I'd never heard that absolutely exploded for me.  Some of them made me mix tapes!  (Tasker, google it.)  Those mixtapes led me to, among others, Big Star (my third round pick) and Wilco (see below) and other bands that you just might see popping up in my future picks.

In 1998, Wilco had had only two records, but in Chicago they were hot.  Due to Jeff Tweedy's [prior band], they were still considered "country rock"!  But I loved them already and was soaking up everything they'd done.  Then it was announced that a record was coming out that combined my current favorite band Wilco, and my college favorite artist Billy Bragg.  And it was based on unrecorded lyrics from Woody Guthrie!  Could there be anything more made for me?

Turns out, there couldn't.  I loved every note of this record and continue to love it just as much today.  Other than Jeff Buckley's Grace (thanks again, Bonzai!), there might not be a non-Beatles record I've listened to more in the ensuing 22 years.

6.xx - Billy Bragg & Wilco - Mermaid Avenue (1998)

I'm going to choose one led by Bragg and one by Wilco, with the bonus of Natalie Merchant on the former.

Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key

California Stars
The Great Sniper  :lol:

Well, you got your revenge here. This was the soundtrack to my college days and I definitely planned on taking it. Didn't expect it to go so early.  One more reason to drink tonight..

otb_lifer is definitely a morning person, but maybe he surprises. All I know is my late night coincides with his East Coast and risen.

Users who are viewing this thread