What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James Robinson, NE (2 Viewers)

Dr. Octopus said:
I don't see how anyone thinks Robinson could actually return and be effective this season. It was basically a miracle that Akers made it back and he looked terrible on the field.
You say Akers did not look 100% and I'll agree but I for sure don't agree he looked terrible.

Go check out his thread and see what people were saying the game after he returned, and then he faced 3 top 10 rushing defenses and Rams had zero running game. I know you can point to the YPC and say well look, the guy averaged a little over 2.5 YPC so there he sucked. A few problems with that to me.The strength of defenses like I mentioned and fact the whole team could not run. Akers was 67/172 rushing which again is not good but Sony/Henderson were not blowing the doors off going 30/87 and that's a little misleading in terms of production because a chunk of those came on one Sony 35 yard run(before they faced the top 10 D's)and  without that run Sony/Henderson combined to go 29/52, 1.70 YPC.  Now if you are or anyone is saying BS at the notion of removing one long play look at  the flip side  where Akers went 8/86 receiving vs Sony/DH going 6/35 and it's because of one huge 40 yard play by Akers otherwise he was only a little better.

Point is he looked at least as good and if you don't want to buy that at least as productive as Sony/DH. And if anyone still refuses to believe that I guess you are saying McVay does not know what he's doing feeding Akers during the most important stretch of the season. Henderson/Sony is not a high bar but those RB's both had fantasy success during periods last year.

Now I almost never bring Akers up here unless it's response to someone bringing him up, like now. But not for nothing if you got back to the Akers thread not long after his injury and while I did not think he'd make it back in 6 months I was preaching to people to not give up on him. It's there and I like I said then and it remains true I don't own Akers in dynasty, just thought people were overreacting calling him done. I only point that out because I do own a lot of Robinson, and keep increasing it.

I don't count on Robinson but fact he's got 3-6 more months then Akers to me makes it perfectly reasonable to believe there is a chance he returns and is productive at some point during the season. Like Akers won't be 100%, but productive for sure.

I don't count on Robinson but fact he's got 3-6 more months then Akers to me makes it perfectly reasonable to believe there is a chance he returns and is productive at some point during the season. Like Akers won't be 100%, but productive for sure.
there’s definitely a chance. I wouldn’t mind buying low on him, but the owner is holding.

He’s the RB3 on the team I just took over in a 16 team league, so I’m certainly hoping you’re right. I think he’s a better bet for 2023, but maybe a late 2022 run is possible. 

my concern is that Akers didn’t look great, and so far he’s the exception, not the rule. The proof will be in the pudding. If Robinson looks good in camp I’ll start to be a believer.

but I am hopeful, since now I have to be. I may try to sell him to the person who wouldn’t sell him to me since we’re both in both leagues. :lol:  

You say Akers did not look 100% and I'll agree but I for sure don't agree he looked terrible.

Go check out his thread and see what people were saying the game after he returned, and then he faced 3 top 10 rushing defenses and Rams had zero running game. I know you can point to the YPC and say well look, the guy averaged a little over 2.5 YPC so there he sucked. A few problems with that to me.The strength of defenses like I mentioned and fact the whole team could not run. Akers was 67/172 rushing which again is not good but Sony/Henderson were not blowing the doors off going 30/87 and that's a little misleading in terms of production because a chunk of those came on one Sony 35 yard run(before they faced the top 10 D's)and  without that run Sony/Henderson combined to go 29/52, 1.70 YPC.  Now if you are or anyone is saying BS at the notion of removing one long play look at  the flip side  where Akers went 8/86 receiving vs Sony/DH going 6/35 and it's because of one huge 40 yard play by Akers otherwise he was only a little better.

Point is he looked at least as good and if you don't want to buy that at least as productive as Sony/DH. And if anyone still refuses to believe that I guess you are saying McVay does not know what he's doing feeding Akers during the most important stretch of the season. Henderson/Sony is not a high bar but those RB's both had fantasy success during periods last year.

Now I almost never bring Akers up here unless it's response to someone bringing him up, like now. But not for nothing if you got back to the Akers thread not long after his injury and while I did not think he'd make it back in 6 months I was preaching to people to not give up on him. It's there and I like I said then and it remains true I don't own Akers in dynasty, just thought people were overreacting calling him done. I only point that out because I do own a lot of Robinson, and keep increasing it.

We’ll see. I think you’re downplaying some of the effects of the Achilles injuries and maybe we’re just on a different plain on what constitutes “productive” ultimately.

Personally I don’t see much chance of Robinson being a useful fantasy asset in 2022 - I currently have no skin in the game outside of one share of Snoop - and he was only a “what the heck” round 4 rookie pick - so I’m not downplaying Robinson to build up ETN.

Yeah I'm with you on this. I thought Akers looked just fine and ran into buzzsaw defenses. I have no idea if James Robinson will come back strong or not but I also agree he is much better than people give him credit. Or was at least. 

Assuming we are talking typical sized redraft leagues, Robinson feels like a guy that is almost certainly going to get dropped by the team that drafts him in order to add hot WW players over the first couple weeks. I can't imagine he gets off to a hot start for the year. 
That said, he is running & cutting, and I could see a scenario where both ETN & Robinson are RB2 caliber players - It might be later in the year, but it could easily happen. 

That said, he is running & cutting, and I could see a scenario where both ETN & Robinson are RB2 caliber players - It might be later in the year, but it could easily happen. 
Yeah, I am just not going to bet on the RB2 on the Jags coming off a massive late season injury competing with a 1st round RB with pass catching chops. Not when you have guys like Kenneth Walker, Rhamondre Stevenson, James Cook, Rachaad White, Ronald Jones, Chris Olave, Christian Kirk, Allen Lazard, etc. being taken in the same range. 

Yeah, I am just not going to bet on the RB2 on the Jags coming off a massive late season injury competing with a 1st round RB with pass catching chops. Not when you have guys like Kenneth Walker, Rhamondre Stevenson, James Cook, Rachaad White, Ronald Jones, Chris Olave, Christian Kirk, Allen Lazard, etc. being taken in the same range. 
Agreed.

I'm currently trying to decide whether to hold or sell Robinson in a 16-team Dynasty league where I picked up a team.

It’s a dilemma, as some teams are really hard up for a RB. He’s my 3 behind Swift & Hall, and I picked up Hines & C.Evans through trade.

Selling now would still likely be a sell-low. Waiting until camp, or at whatever point in the season he’s proved he’s made a full recovery would be a nice high point to sell. But then there’s the risk that he comes out and looks sluggish / lacks power/burst, thus tanking his value.

It’s a tough decision. And it’s not like Swift has the best track record for staying on the field, so holding him is also an option. Having 3 start-able RB in a 16-teamer is a huge advantage. Some teams barely have 1. 

Agreed.

I'm currently trying to decide whether to hold or sell Robinson in a 16-team Dynasty league where I picked up a team.

It’s a dilemma, as some teams are really hard up for a RB. He’s my 3 behind Swift & Hall, and I picked up Hines & C.Evans through trade.

Selling now would still likely be a sell-low. Waiting until camp, or at whatever point in the season he’s proved he’s made a full recovery would be a nice high point to sell. But then there’s the risk that he comes out and looks sluggish / lacks power/burst, thus tanking his value.

It’s a tough decision. And it’s not like Swift has the best track record for staying on the field, so holding him is also an option. Having 3 start-able RB in a 16-teamer is a huge advantage. Some teams barely have 1. 
I feel like this is one of those scenarios where the "process" says sell but the outcome could be that it ended up being the wrong call. Those are going to happen from time to time. He really has a pretty steep mountain to climb. 

I feel like this is one of those scenarios where the "process" says sell but the outcome could be that it ended up being the wrong call. Those are going to happen from time to time. He really has a pretty steep mountain to climb. 
Agreed, and a wild swing of outcomes in value. Everything from commanding a WR1-2 to being stuck with a dude who can’t get anything in trade.

FWIW, a video went up of him running & cutting yesterday. looks pretty good, considering how recent his injury was.

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2022/07/13/jaguars-james-robinson-achilles-injury-update/

I might have a shot at getting Gabe Davis for him & a pick. I love me some Davis, but if I hold & he comes back full strength I might get more. Temped for go for the bird in the hand, even though Davis is also risky. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, and a wild swing of outcomes in value. Everything from commanding a WR1-2 to being stuck with a dude who can’t get anything in trade.

FWIW, a video went up of him running & cutting yesterday. looks pretty good, considering how recent his injury was.

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2022/07/13/jaguars-james-robinson-achilles-injury-update/
Well.. it's another data point to make a difficult call more difficult.

It's not like measurables are what made him successful in the first place. He kinda has that intangible "something something" in terms of making the most of what he is. It wouldn't shock me if he eventually returns to doing that.

I might have a shot at getting Gabe Davis for him & a pick. I love me some Davis, but if I hold & he comes back full strength I might get more. Temped for go for the bird in the hand, even though Davis is also risky. 
Can see him favoring his left (injured) leg in that clip, for what it's worth.

I just watched it again several times, and I’m not seeing him favoring either leg. I can’t really tell the difference in the video to notice which leg is injured. :shrug:  
After watching the video I thought "I bet he hurt his left leg" and then went to look it up.  You can see in the video that he doesn't cut as hard on the left leg.

On one hand it’s good that he’s able to run. On the other, looks like he has a long way to go. Doesn’t look explosive or athletic at all.

Ok, if that’s what they are wanting to release out on social media cool. Still isn’t changing my stance on Robinson. 
I wouldn't expect it to. However, I see why they released it. If I were one of the 14 Jaguars fans I'd be pretty excited to see one of their better players ahead of schedule on his injury recovery.

I've got ETN and would like to require Robinson, but I've got a bit of a roster crunch.  The three guys at the end of my bench are Michel, D.Foreman, and Darrel Williams, and I can see circumstances where any or all of them could find themselves in a productive situation.

On one hand it’s good that he’s able to run. On the other, looks like he has a long way to go. Doesn’t look explosive or athletic at all.
He has never looked explosive or athletic.  He is a solid guy that always got yards.  The thing that worries me is that his best trait was his short area avoidance in the hole to gain more yards.  He was never going to break away but those 8-15 yard runs were his bread and butter.  If he lost that small area movement it will hurt. 

He has never looked explosive or athletic.  He is a solid guy that always got yards.  The thing that worries me is that his best trait was his short area avoidance in the hole to gain more yards.  He was never going to break away but those 8-15 yard runs were his bread and butter.  If he lost that small area movement it will hurt. 
I get that he’s not Jamal Charles but he looks there like a HS football coach doing a demo for his players. 

I get that he’s not Jamal Charles but he looks there like a HS football coach doing a demo for his players. 
He just. Started. Running.

he’s literally running on the field for the 1st time since rupturing his ACL. 

Maybe give the dude a break if he doesn’t look like Barry Sanders just yet? 

He just. Started. Running.

he’s literally running on the field for the 1st time since rupturing his ACL. 

Maybe give the dude a break if he doesn’t look like Barry Sanders just yet? 
I get that but redraft is just around the corner here. For dynasty, whatever. He has time. For redraft, it’s very concerning. However I will just leave this alone. Not trying to kill the guy. 

I get that but redraft is just around the corner here. For dynasty, whatever. He has time. For redraft, it’s very concerning. However I will just leave this alone. Not trying to kill the guy. 
Yeah, I don’t think I’ll be drafting him in redraft.

That said, he’d be a potentially nice asset to have down the stretch as he could get stronger and stronger as the year goes on. 

For redraft it will be an easy decision if you draft late August or early September when he’s on the PUP - It’s hard to imagine another result at this point.

Just acquired him for a 2022 3rd and 2023 2nd.  Thought I overpaid but I've got ETN and had draft picks to spare and wanted what I hope will be insurance.  And planning on that 2023 2nd being late.

We're going to have to see how TC unwinds here, but if you have an IR/PUP slot, would seem to be a no-brainer to stash.  Akers was back on the field in less than 6 months.  Assuming Robinson would be on PUP thru 4 weeks, that takes him to mid-October.  9+ months after the injury?  With bye weeks not starting until Week 6.

Feels like a forward looking move that could pay off as people write him off for 2022.

We're going to have to see how TC unwinds here, but if you have an IR/PUP slot, would seem to be a no-brainer to stash.  Akers was back on the field in less than 6 months.  Assuming Robinson would be on PUP thru 4 weeks, that takes him to mid-October.  9+ months after the injury?  With bye weeks not starting until Week 6.

Feels like a forward looking move that could pay off as people write him off for 2022.
If he goes on PUP I believe he has to miss 6 games minimum. 

Just acquired him for a 2022 3rd and 2023 2nd.  Thought I overpaid but I've got ETN and had draft picks to spare and wanted what I hope will be insurance.  And planning on that 2023 2nd being late.

I've tried shopping Robinson around in my league and been offered nothing close to that, so yeah, it does feel like an overpay, but if it gives you win now insurance in the event that anything happens to Etienne, then what the hell

I"m old enough to remember when dynasty players were giving up on Akers, ETN and James Robinson because "no one" was making it back from those injuries.

I"m old enough to remember when dynasty players were giving up on Akers, ETN and James Robinson because "no one" was making it back from those injuries.
True. But to be fair, Akers didn’t look that great last year, though reportedly he’s improving. We haven’t seen ETN in contact scenarios, and James Robinson still has a long, long way to go with his rehab.

ETN looks electric though. And I’m optimistic about Akers based on what we’ve seen. 

So it’s not like they’re all 100% - and until Robinson is out there doing football things, he hasn’t really made it back yet. 

Cautious optimism. As Robinson is on the team I took over I’m hoping for the best.

Users who are viewing this thread