What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HC Mike McCarthy, DAL (1 Viewer)

Those 13 penalties were a teensy bit of a factor.

KICKING A FG TO MAKE A TWO SCORE GAME a two score game with was an “interesting choice.” 

Coming out unprepared and being outplayed in all three phases while getting physically manhandled was a HUGE FACTOR.
Ya, agree with all that.

It has just begun, IMO. 

All these new guys are playing under the Brady rules. 
To counter that, while physically they can play longer, the salaries for top QB's are so high that these guys are set financially by the time they get to their 30's. Retiring young means they get to enjoy life while they are young, and before they get a debilitating injury.

Obviously, for Brady, playing the game is what he loves, not sitting by the pool with his hot wife sipping martinis. The QB's playing into their 40's will be limited to the ultra-competitive types who might love the game more than life itself.

Coach McCarthy put a team out there that looked very unprepared

-Jerry Jones said he will not blame officials in any way for the outcome. He's looking at his coaching staff wondering why they were even in that spot to begin with. 

I don't believe Jerry will fire McCarthy, but I do believe he is going to play it out for a little while before he gives him his endorsement. Jerry did praise McCarthy a few weeks back and said he was the difference. I give McCarthy credit for hiring Dan Quinn and improving the defense. 

Dallas is still building IMHO, maybe they were overhyped and Dak Prescott is not a Top5 QB, somewhere in the 8-12 band but not elite. He isn't going to win single handedly too often, they need 150+ yds rush per game from their RBs for them to be successful.

-They also are just about the most penalized team in the NFL, 14 of them yesterday? 

Those are mostly facts and not just bias opinion what I am highlighting. There's enough visual evidence to make judgments about how McCarthy coaches. He won a Super Bowl and I think most coaches who are handed Aaron Rodgers for 12 years would likely win a Super Bowl along the way, he didn't do anything special. 

And he's getting worse
Welcome to GB fan frustration for many years!

Every QB misses throws every single game. Even Rodgers. Silly to hold Dak to a higher standard. 

Prescott was 23-43 and was under 50% until SF gave Cowboys 4 easy completions when in prevent at the end.   Big game and Dak did not play well and add in the blunder at the end,  it was not a good day for Prescott.

When you hold out and make the big bucks there are big expectations. Did not hear one pundit say Dak played well, just the opposite in fact.

Prescott was 23-43 and was under 50% until SF gave Cowboys 4 easy completions when in prevent at the end.   Big game and Dak did not play well and add in the blunder at the end,  it was not a good day for Prescott.

When you hold out and make the big bucks there are big expectations. Did not hear one pundit say Dak played well, just the opposite in fact.
Dak was waaay to slow with his decision making...took too long on nearly every throw.  He then seemingly refused to step up and run to alleviate the pressure and instead took sacks.  Very poor performance by Dak and the game plan was horrendous.  Dallas blew a good opportunity and should have won that game on paper but unfortunately for Dallas you need to actually play the game.  Terribly coached team.

Interesting headline, I thought Kellen Moore was the offensive playcaller though....  Wasn't he the one that called the draw there?
Yes, Moore is the offensive playcaller, and he called the running play at the end of the game. McCarthy confirmed it on the headset.  

Welcome to GB fan frustration for many years!
I'm not a GB fan but I'll never forget that historic collapse in the 2014 NFC championship game. It was during that game that I realized the only chance the Packers truly had to not blow that lead was for MM to bench himself. It was the only time in my life that I felt bad for a Packers loss. It was one of the worst displays of risk-adverse play calling and clock management that I've ever seen. 

Sam Quentin said:
I don’t understand why Kellen Moore is highly regarded as an OC.  The offense seems to play right at their talent level, not above and probably not below…the qb draw play call was terrible.
I think Jerry is still upset that he lost Sean Payton and feels like Kellen Moore is a second chance to rectify that mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want Quinn more than MM and Moore but my gripe with Dan Quinn is two things- he too much of a players coach and he talks WAAAAAAY too much at pressers. If you let him he will literally tell you his entire defensive scheme. 

:stirspot:

Looking good again tonight
I mean eventually you’re going to be right but I don’t think you get a indefinite hawt take.
Fair post SB22

-I knew the Countdown was not going to be 1 season and even 2 would have been awfully fast but I can see the end this year, largely because Dak will end up missing a good chunk of time during his tenure.

Please understand, it's not like I have personal hate involved here. I just think McCarthy is overrated but that said Rodgers track history in the NFCC is not stellar either. So maybe he gets too much blame?

-Jerry will take his frustrations out one way or the other.

Let's switch to something I want to discuss with Dallas fans and you might need some time to process what I am going to say and ask the Dallas fan base.

-Dak is gone for 2 months/Half the season and he might not be 100% when he gets back, take some time to get him up to full speed. With that in mind and even with a light schedule in front of you for a few weeks, isn't it better to just toss the '22 season out the window and get ready to have a high draft pick in 2023? This feels like a wonderful opp for a team that has talent already and could position themselves for Dak's eventual successor. You must factor in his health in 2 of the last 3 seasons, maybe they need to draft another QB.

-With Cooper Rush, sky's the limit on how many losses they absorb. Put Dak on IR in a few weeks, say the rehab isn't going as fast as ownership had hoped and they need to make roster space, keep Dak out for the season and they could possibly lose as many as 13-14-15 games?

Opportunity like this only comes along so often.

-National Media has Dallas trading for someone else's back up or a team like Miami calling and offering Teddy Bridgewater. Quite frankly, I didn't see a lot from Dallas before Dak was injured last night, granted they won't play the Bucs each week.

@Ministry of Pain

Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy said offensive coordinator Kellen Moore "has to be smarter" with play calling.

It's not often a head coach will speak so bluntly about his displeasure with a play caller, but after one horrible week in Dallas, McCarthy is leveling public criticism of his offensive coordinator. Losing Dak Prescott (thumb) for at least a month isn't going to make Moore's job any easier, as Cooper Rush will serve as the team's quarterback. The Cowboys offense had the NFL's lowest expected points added (EPA) per play in Week 1. Moore's job -- and maybe McCarthy's -- could be in question if Dallas gets off to a bad start to the season.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Clarence Hill on Twitter
Sep 16, 2022, 11:38 AM ET

@Ministry of Pain

Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy said offensive coordinator Kellen Moore "has to be smarter" with play calling.

It's not often a head coach will speak so bluntly about his displeasure with a play caller, but after one horrible week in Dallas, McCarthy is leveling public criticism of his offensive coordinator. Losing Dak Prescott (thumb) for at least a month isn't going to make Moore's job any easier, as Cooper Rush will serve as the team's quarterback. The Cowboys offense had the NFL's lowest expected points added (EPA) per play in Week 1. Moore's job -- and maybe McCarthy's -- could be in question if Dallas gets off to a bad start to the season.
RELATED:
Jerry notorious for keeping assistant coaches around on staff in case things go South, McCarthy can make Moore the scapegoat but my memories would point to Coach MM getting the hook and Moore taking over as head coach for the rest of the year to see how he does.

@Ministry of Pain

RELATED:
Jerry notorious for keeping assistant coaches around on staff in case things go South, McCarthy can make Moore the scapegoat but my memories would point to Coach MM getting the hook and Moore taking over as head coach for the rest of the year to see how he does.
Then why did he wait so long to fire Garrett?

@Ministry of Pain

RELATED:
Then why did he wait so long to fire Garrett?
Good question, because Jerry hand picked him and pushed Wade Phillips out the door, wanted to give him every last opportunity to be the head coach Jerry wanted him to be. He also had some control over the team with Garrett running things. He was a pushover in many ways for Jerry.

When's the last time Dallas had a good coach? Parcells?
I think that's right

I'd say he's 2-6 at hiring coaches, though amazingly the only one with a losing record is Campo.
I hate Jerry Jones. He has single handedly eroded my passion as a fan. He pissed all over Landry. He ran Jimmy outa town, declared he could win with any coach, and brought in that buffoon Switzer. Since then he has been chasing his tail. He is a horrible GM. And the worst part of it is, his ego tells him to keep trying to be a "football guy". I'm so tired of hearing him talk about the team to the media.

I think that's right

I'd say he's 2-6 at hiring coaches, though amazingly the only one with a losing record is Campo.
I hate Jerry Jones. He has single handedly eroded my passion as a fan. He pissed all over Landry. He ran Jimmy outa town, declared he could win with any coach, and brought in that buffoon Switzer. Since then he has been chasing his tail. He is a horrible GM. And the worst part of it is, his ego tells him to keep trying to be a "football guy". I'm so tired of hearing him talk about the team to the media.
I was as diehard a Cowboy fan as could be beginning around 1972. Somewhere around 99-01 it all turned to apathy, and it's never coming back; however, seeing NFC East rivals struggle and suck is still a source of joy.

I think that's right

I think Jerry's an easy guy to blame and the same stuff gets repeated over and over but I can't say I really agree with most it.

Landry's time was up, could have handled with a lot more finesse but his time was up. Past up.

Jimmy was only able to be run out of town because Jerry hired him in the first place. However you want to slice up the credit for those SB wins, Jimmy or Jerry, none of it happens if Jerry does not take unpopular move of ousting Landry and hiring Jimmy.

He kind of proved his point about winning with any coach because that Switzer won a SB.

He's GM in title and has final say but he employs Will McKay who is pretty much a defacto GM and one of the best in the game IMO. Again however you want to credit this is not a team that has drafted poorly or lacks talent, at least not over the last few years.

Which brings me to what makes a football guy a football guy? Does playing on a national championship college football team under the mentorship of the great Frank Broyles and being a very hands on owner even to point of carrying the GM title for 30 years not qualify? Just because you are a great businessmen it does not mean you can't be a football guy in addition to.

As Jerry once famously said, " I hope you liked those 3 SB's, I hope you liked them very much". Granted the 90's was a long time ago but there are a lot of teams that have existed a lot longer then years he's owned the team that have not sniffed one, a few who can't even make it to the SB.

Now I don't think he's blameless, just don't agree with a lot of the re-hased opinions. I do think he meddles to much in the coaching aspect, wants a head coach he can assert a manner of control over. And while he is a true football fan and wants to win sometimes I get a vibe from him he does not properly live and die on it either, that so long as the business side is winning he's good. Jerry World and the Star are first class facilities that I'm sure the players appreciate but it almost feels to cush for developing a hard nosed team. The way he runs training camp and the whole thing really could sometimes be more out of the Ringling brothers playbook then traditional football teams run their operation. These to me are all valid issues to raise or have.

And lastly I'm not a Cowboys fan, live in the area and have met Jerry numerous times. But I'd guess if I was a Cowboys fan I'd be sick of hearing him talk all the time as well and part of that is he gives off a vibe that the Cowboys are his. Which of course is true but that's not the vibe you want to give off, you want to to make fans think their team is theirs, at least try and create that allusion but he's way to quick to always let everyone know it's his show, because ego.

195-0 when up 14+ in the 4th Q

Dallas 28
Green 14

and now...drum roll please...

195-1

Dallas 28
Green 31

What can you say? I thought for sure they were going to put him up on their shoulders if they won the game and continued to blow them out.
Didn't Dak throw a couple interception in the 1st Half, kind of took points off the board? Someone gifted all those point to Green Bay, CeeDee Lamb have a hand in any of that?

The storyline all week was Big Mike coming back,Dak and the Boyz got his back,Big Mike and the gang really motivated to get a W. Seems everyone forgot the other side may have just as,or MORE motivated. Gut punch.

Was there a thread title change here? I thought this was a pitchfork thread.

In 16 seasons as an NFL head coach (including this season), McCarthy has made the playoffs 11 times.
https://twitter.com/rjochoa
RJ Ochoa @rjochoa

The Dallas Cowboys have now won at least 12 games in back to back seasons for the first time since 1994-1995.

It has been 27 years since they were last this good in just two straight years.
How Mike McCarthy gets no credit or respect is beyond me.

Was there a thread title change here? I thought this was a pitchfork thread.

In 16 seasons as an NFL head coach (including this season), McCarthy has made the playoffs 11 times.
https://twitter.com/rjochoa
RJ Ochoa @rjochoa

The Dallas Cowboys have now won at least 12 games in back to back seasons for the first time since 1994-1995.

It has been 27 years since they were last this good in just two straight years.
How Mike McCarthy gets no credit or respect is beyond me.
Should be a cake walk into the Semi-Finals with a road trip into the comfy confines of Tampa Bay where Tom Brady likely awaits
Could unfold a little differently but that appears to be the likely scenario if Tampa Bay can knock off Carolina this weekend

Assuming Dallas makes some real noise in the Playoffs...

at Tampa Bay, the Bucs might be 8-9 hosting a Playoff game, this is made for Dallas to storm in and take out the Pirates
at Philly would be the next likely scenario. The Eagles are not exactly Playoff tested with the bunch they have right now. Dallas is one of the few teams you could see beating Philly
at Minnesota would likely be the NFCC, if not that game then it would be San Fran and the media would go nuts with a throwback to the early 90s.

I said Countdown to the End when Coach MM was first hired, this is the end of Year 3, he's still making goofy coaching mistakes but things seem to be working out even though they likely will not win the Division. Hard to imagine McCarthy fired in the off season, safe bet he is coming back for Year 4. That would make 2 coaches in the last 12 years for Jerry Jones? Can't say he isn't patient

Assuming Dallas makes some real noise in the Playoffs...

at Tampa Bay, the Bucs might be 8-9 hosting a Playoff game, this is made for Dallas to storm in and take out the Pirates
at Philly would be the next likely scenario. The Eagles are not exactly Playoff tested with the bunch they have right now. Dallas is one of the few teams you could see beating Philly
at Minnesota would likely be the NFCC, if not that game then it would be San Fran and the media would go nuts with a throwback to the early 90s.

I said Countdown to the End when Coach MM was first hired, this is the end of Year 3, he's still making goofy coaching mistakes but things seem to be working out even though they likely will not win the Division. Hard to imagine McCarthy fired in the off season, safe bet he is coming back for Year 4. That would make 2 coaches in the last 12 years for Jerry Jones? Can't say he isn't patient
Dallas is down their starting center, right tackle, a corner, slot corner, and a starting linebacker off the top of my head
They’ll be lucky to beat Tampa

Users who are viewing this thread