What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020-21 NBA *Playoffs* Thread: Bucks are the champs and you can take that to the bank bromigos (11 Viewers)

That free throw routine by Giannis is exhausting. They could call that 10 second violation every time. 
you can actually see the gears turning as he thinks about every single micro step of the routine. it's all so mechanical. not fluid.

he's way inside his own head. not sure how to fix that.

How is he as a coach?

Anyone...
Not good.  Defensive schemes were an absolute mess.  He'd randomly come up with complex things mid game that the team hadn't practiced and a quarter later he'd change it.  Inconsistent rotations.  As a Bucks fan, I wanted him gone way before they fired him.  Only thing he did well was to help develop young talent.

Kidd wasn't very good in Milwaukee. Maybe he learned something. I wouldn't trust him with a young team or a team that needs that little extra to get over the top. 
Maybe.  I could see Kidd being successful in a 'manage the elite talent' type head coaching role.  Like Kerr in Golden State or Nash in Brooklyn style situation where he's keeping the stars happy and the organization has highly paid assistants doing the x's and o's. 

Anything else...good luck.  Kidd will eventually get in a power struggle with the GM or anybody else that doesn't understand he's kind of an egomaniac.  Back in the days he would have been labeled a bush league head coach.  Remember the time he accidentally spilled his water on the court?  That's about as strategic as he gets (aside from consolidating power behind the scenes).  He'll kiss the team governor's ###, that's the only guarantee you'll get with him.

Not good.  Defensive schemes were an absolute mess.  He'd randomly come up with complex things mid game that the team hadn't practiced and a quarter later he'd change it.  Inconsistent rotations.  As a Bucks fan, I wanted him gone way before they fired him.  Only thing he did well was to help develop young talent.

Maybe.  I could see Kidd being successful in a 'manage the elite talent' type head coaching role.  Like Kerr in Golden State or Nash in Brooklyn style situation where he's keeping the stars happy and the organization has highly paid assistants doing the x's and o's. 

Anything else...good luck.  Kidd will eventually get in a power struggle with the GM or anybody else that doesn't understand he's kind of an egomaniac.  Back in the days he would have been labeled a bush league head coach.  Remember the time he accidentally spilled his water on the court?  That's about as strategic as he gets (aside from consolidating power behind the scenes).  He'll kiss the team governor's ###, that's the only guarantee you'll get with him.
You read my mind with the managing elite talent comment. 

Not good.  Defensive schemes were an absolute mess.  He'd randomly come up with complex things mid game that the team hadn't practiced and a quarter later he'd change it.  Inconsistent rotations.  
years ago i remember reading a story about Bob Slowik when he was DC for the Packers.

it went that he would have these schizophrenic gameplans during the week, changing from day to day. then he'd settle on one the Saturday before the game... explain it to the team.. then change it again Sunday morning,

nobody had any faith in him because he was just a mess and it showed up on the field.

watching the Bucks under Kidd reminded me of that.

I would be stunned if we see him again this postseason. He was gone a month after straining that same hammy earlier this year, and time missed usually increases with each successive strain.
The silver lining is they are playing the Bucks well right now, Embiid is unlikely to be healthy the rest of the playoffs and the west is a total crap shoot. 

It will be more difficult, but they might not need him. 

Don’t think we can count on the Bucks to shoot 20% from deep all series so I’d say they’re still the favorites, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well Brooklyn played without Harden. Griffin in particular was awesome after being a straight-up liability against Boston.

Anyone else find it odd that Budenholzer conceded this game with like 3:00 left?  It was like a 19 pt game and they couldn't buy a 3, but this is the NBA.  The scrubs cut it to like 8 in the last 2 minutes.

Just odd for the playoffs, IMO.

Bucks couldn't have shot it worse from 3 tonight.  I still like them to win the series, especially if Harden stays out.

A. Is fine. Sucks to have to look at it that way. 

B. Is going to happen regardless then. Just depends when they suck. All teams go through years of suckitude. 
PDX did not get Dame by sucking. They drafted him and McCollum VERY well.  Need to draft mid-firsts VERY WELL, a la Dame and Donovan Mitchell.  If and when you hit on 1 of those, you are a playoff team. Hit on 2, you can make a run.  Get a Luka, Giannis, or Dame, you're in the playoffs every year with chance to do damage against the super teams.

I don't think they're a franchise that can afford to tear it all the way down. They have 2-3 seasons of tanking and they might find the team in a new city. 
I don't follow your logic here. If being bad for a few years in a small market gets you relocated then how come a third of the league hasn't been relocated?
PDX is a unique situation.  There will be next to NO effort to keep a capitalist, male-dominated, "corporate", professional team in this city.  They might confiscate The Rose Garden to house the homeless at this point.  Any new owner would be insane not to want to move the team out of said hellhole.

PDX did not get Dame by sucking. They drafted him and McCollum VERY well.  Need to draft mid-firsts VERY WELL, a la Dame and Donovan Mitchell.  If and when you hit on 1 of those, you are a playoff team. Hit on 2, you can make a run.  Get a Luka, Giannis, or Dame, you're in the playoffs every year with chance to do damage against the super teams.
Lillard was the 6th pick after they went 28 - 38. McCollum was the 10th pick and Luka was the 3rd pick. Mitchell was 12th. 

All lottery picks, which Portland has been a part of recently. 

Last edited by a moderator:
PDX is a unique situation.  There will be next to NO effort to keep a capitalist, male-dominated, "corporate", professional team in this city.  They might confiscate The Rose Garden to house the homeless at this point.  Any new owner would be insane not to want to move the team out of said hellhole.
Okay, but we are talking about what is best for the team. If they are trading Lillard then tanking is the way to go. Not trading for Ben Simmons which is what Insein and I were discussing. 

Lillard was the 6th pick after they went 28 - 38. McCollum was the 10th pick and Luka was the 3rd pick. 
28-38 for one season isn't bottoming out.  10th pick wasn't either.  Dallas lucked into Sacramento trading Luka to them.  My point is a team can't suck for many years in a row and expect to get awesome.  "The Process" still has not worked.

Okay, but we are talking about what is best for the team. If they are trading Lillard then tanking is the way to go. Not trading for Ben Simmons which is what Insein and I were discussing. 
You mentioned tanking.  My point is THAT is not best for the team either.  DON'T TRADE DAME is MY point.

28-38 for one season isn't bottoming out.  10th pick wasn't either.  Dallas lucked into Sacramento trading Luka to them.  My point is a team can't suck for many years in a row and expect to get awesome.  "The Process" still has not worked.
It is bottoming out and if you hit it only takes a year or 2 to come back. Dallas had the 6th pick and traded it to Atlanta for the 3rd to get Luka. 

The process is working. Philly is a top 5 team in the NBA and has a nice window to win. That is all you can ask for. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You mentioned tanking.  My point is THAT is not best for the team either.  DON'T TRADE DAME is MY point.
I said if they are going to tank then don't trade Dame for Ben. I also said this is all speculation. If they trade Dame then tank and hope you get the next Dame, but make sure you have lots of chances to get the next Dame. 

It is bottoming out and if you hit it only takes a year or 2 to come back. Dallas had the 6th pick and traded it to Atlanta for the 3rd. 

The process is working. Philly is a top 5 team in the NBA and has a nice window to win. That is all you can ask for. 
OK.  I'm done arguing.  If PDX trades Dame for what you people are suggesting, PDX won't have a team in 5 years.   I can't imagine any true fan of a team would take that wager.

Also @msudaisy26 I am sorry you caught my PDX trigger-shrapnel.  I just hate the idea of trading the one star this effing state has for .20 on the dollar and losing the one pro team our state cares about.  Our state kind of sucks at this point, and it makes me sad is all.  Now I am going to put my son to bed and watch something on netflix with my wife.

OK.  I'm done arguing.  If PDX trades Dame for what you people are suggesting, PDX won't have a team in 5 years.   I can't imagine any true fan of a team would take that wager.
If only the fans ran the team, but they don't. 

So in 5 years when Dame isn't Dame anymore and there isn't anything in the cupboard because they pick 19th every year then what?

Also @msudaisy26 I am sorry you caught my PDX trigger-shrapnel.  I just hate the idea of trading the one star this effing state has for .20 on the dollar and losing the one pro team our state cares about.  Our state kind of sucks at this point, and it makes me sad is all.  Now I am going to put my son to bed and watch something on netflix with my wife.
I get it sucks. I love the Pistons and look at us. We held onto that core from 04 too long. I don't like seeing that happen to small market, free agent black holes like us. We are going on 13 years without a competitive team. 

Great? Assuming Portland got held for ransom and had to pay for the arena like every other city has, at least they’d finally get a community benefit out of it. 
Soooo true Enlightened One.  Also FSU facilities and Orlando's hoops arena.

Ah man, you still live in the best state in the country, don't get too down on Oregon.  I'm at least hoping you're from the northern half of it.

I agree, I don't think Dame is going anywhere.

Ah man, you still live in the best state in the country, don't get too down on Oregon.  I'm at least hoping you're from the northern half of it.

I agree, I don't think Dame is going anywhere.
You been to Portland lately?

If only the fans ran the team, but they don't. 

So in 5 years when Dame isn't Dame anymore and there isn't anything in the cupboard because they pick 19th every year then what?
There is a huge difference between going thru the natural progression and punting on a competitive team. If they blow this iteration of the Blazers up. the fans will revolt and they'll move to Seattle in the near future. 

There is a huge difference between going thru the natural progression and punting on a competitive team. If they blow this iteration of the Blazers up. the fans will revolt and they'll move to Seattle in the near future. 
Like I said the fans don't make the choice. The owner or possible new owner would. There isn't a huge difference between sucking naturally or blowing it up. You suck either way. 

Actually there is one big difference. If you can't attract the big free agents and you hold onto your players too long then it takes even longer to rebuild because you don't have extra draft capital. 

Users who are viewing this thread