What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in? (7 Viewers)

Bostonfred, how do you stay motivated on logging you food journals? I find I can do it for days on end and then I kind of forget, not on purpose. Doesn't help that the wifey low key hates the journaling as she is an impulse skinny person and not analytical.

Bostonfred, how do you stay motivated on logging you food journals? I find I can do it for days on end and then I kind of forget, not on purpose. Doesn't help that the wifey low key hates the journaling as she is an impulse skinny person and not analytical.
My wife is not involved at all.  I didn't even tell her when I first started.

I keep myself motivated by posting about it here (in the otis fad diet thread) and with a friend over text who is also losing weight. Accountability is huge for me, and I know it helps other people too. I also quit drinking when I'm cutting weight- I find that most of my bad food decisions are after a couple glasses, not before. 

It's actually been easier during quarantine because I don't get takeout often and don't have dinner parties and cookouts to plan around, but when I do I just plan ahead. A slice of Papa Gino's large cheese pizza is 230 calories, if my kid wants pizza I plan to eat two slices.  A 4 oz burger is 200 calories plus the bun and ketchup is 350. Add a hot dog at 150 and bun for 110 with mustard and you're at a manageable 610 calories, get plenty full and don't even have to mention you're on a diet. Nobody tries to push their cole slaw and potato salad on you when you have a full plate. 

I gamify everything.  If I want to eat this I need to run for 30 minutes and do a little walking before and after. Cool, I can watch an episode of queen's gambit. Sometimes the boredom hits and instead of hitting the fridge i think about what i need to do to earn the calories to eat the thing I want and while I'm planning it out, the craving subsides. Because I know I can still have the thing, and now I'm in no hurry. 

I love "cheat meals". I decide I want a big meal so I plan around it.  Just coffee for breakfast, a small salad for lunch, a gatorade while i go for a short run and then boom 1200 calories for dinner because I can.  Or I'll make something that youre not "supposed to" be able to eat on a diet, like a bacon egg and cheese sandwich or a steak burrito , but I'll make it somewhat healthy and I'll make sure to get my protein and fiber elsewhere. Eating stuff that feels like I'm not dieting sometimes is enough to keep me from feeling like I've been dieting forever.  

Another really important trick for me is to get used to different kinds of days.  Today I had a breakfast sandwich and coffee with creamer and sugar.  Total of 474 calories out of 1500 for the day, I only have 1026 left. I usually like to have 800 to 1000 left for dinner, so I am fine if I have a small lunch like a packaged salad from the grocery store that has 230 calories. I'll still have about 800 left later even without exercise. That's easy, but will I get enough protein and fiber?  Maybe I should have a skyr 130 with some raspberries 45 for a snack and a chicken breast 220 with sweet chili sauce 90 plus some big sides of buttermut squash 200 and broccoli 100 for dinner.

Or for lunch I might make a bowl of ground turkey, black beans and butternut squash, which is easy to make, tastes surprisingly good and is really good on macros.  But then I overdo it and eat a second bowl. I'm not cheating, I'm just choosing to eat now instead of later.  But them later comes and I only have 150 calories left for dinner. Should I burn those calories on the treadmill/rower?  Is there anything I can eat that's only 150 calories?  Well, I could make a steamable bag of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots for 100 calories and throw some general tso sauce on it for 45 more.  i could do a walk and earn enough calories to toss it with some chicken.  Or I could go run a 5k, burn about 520 calories and have an 8 oz chicken breast (220), broccoli/cauliflower/carrots (100), half a pouch of uncle Ben's rice (230) in the microwave, and an egg (70). Fry the egg, startbthe microwave rice, cut up the precooked chicken breast and dump it intomthe frying pan with the rice and sauce while the vegetables go in the microwave, mix them all together on a huge plate and I'm pleasantly stuffed to end the day.  

So is this the new "official" thread and we are abandoning the Otis Fad diet thread?
Doesn't have to be, we can use that thread. There was just some discussion about too much pushup talk and not enough fad diet schtick and I didnt want to overrun it with new year's resolutioners

I'm back.

Everyone I know started dropping off Christmas candy, so I said eff it, Then I got on the scale 2 days ago and was like "Uh oh."

Made it to 215 on Xmas day.  Not a huge drop, but again, steady progress.  I haven't weighed myself today, as I know I went up a little with the holiday and the aftermath.  Working hard to get it down a bit prior to NYE now.  Happy with the progress though - dropping weight without the gimmicks/fads/diets is a little more rewarding.
Made it back to 215 as of this morning!  I really wasn't too far off after Xmas.  I think it was about 218/219.  So not too bad a jump.  Target is to get down to about 200 - ideal is 195.  I'm going to keep small targets in mind, about every 5 lbs.  So I"m looking at 210 for now.  If I keep the pace, I'm expecting to be at 205 by Valentine's Day.

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                 Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY
  • Dec 26         213.1                -                         1420
  • Dec 27         212.7                -0.4                    1510
  • Dec 28         212.9                -0.2                    2070
  • Dec 29         212.3                -0.8                    1470
  • Dec 30         212.9                -0.2                    1420
  • Dec 31         211.6                -1.5                    Note:  Day after Thanksgiving to end of the year was a 14.5 loss.  Not bad!  200 is the next goal and will take a lot longer to get there.
Really surprised to see the big drop this morning, but I had been previously surprised at my stalling.  Already planned on today being a cheat day so I know I'll be up the next day or 2.

Happy New Year guys and gals!

Made it back to 215 as of this morning!  I really wasn't too far off after Xmas.  I think it was about 218/219.  So not too bad a jump.  Target is to get down to about 200 - ideal is 195.  I'm going to keep small targets in mind, about every 5 lbs.  So I"m looking at 210 for now.  If I keep the pace, I'm expecting to be at 205 by Valentine's Day.
Great work!  Keep it going!

• Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                 Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • Dec 31         211.6                -1.5                    Note:  Day after Thanksgiving to end of the year was a 14.5 loss.  Not bad!  200 is the next goal and will take a lot longer to get there.
Really surprised to see the big drop this morning, but I had been previously surprised at my stalling.  Already planned on today being a cheat day so I know I'll be up the next day or 2.

Happy New Year guys and gals!
Thanks for continuing to share both your caloric intake and results.  It is a testament to how important discipline and consistency are — this is simple stuff but it works!

Similar to you, I treaded water for 3-4 days, which was weird, then dropped nearly 1.5 lbs today.  We will see if it holds tomorrow.

Happy new year!

Didn't weigh in today. I was off, slept in and didn't want to weigh in at a different time. Went over my calories a little about 1800 total 

Played golf today so we shall see what tomorrow brings.

In. Tired of being bigly out of shape. Plan is to start off the year trying whole 30 or at least a modified version of it with the wife to start off the year. Also need to start using the treadmill which we moved to the garage as a home gym setup.

• Nov 27            235.5
  • Dec 29            234.6
  • Dec 30            231.8
  • Dec 31            231.0
  • Jan 1               231.5
Expected hiccup o NYE but smaller than expected.  Ate last night until just before midnight so extending my fast until 4pm today.  Hope to hit some cardio just before breaking and get into a more regular weight routine to start 2021.

Is this the new diet thread?

Starting today I am giving up alcohol, and doing the potato hack. Today or tomorrow I will restart rowing. 

Weighed in heavier than usual this morning — 241.2  Much of that is holiday bloat — I’ve been desperately trying to eat and drink everything in the past month. Now I feel awful and am ready to go.

There are no excuses left. I can’t go to restaurants and I can’t travel. I can’t go to work. I have to eat at my home and drink at my home. Whatever I do in the coming months is 100% on me. If I can’t get it done now, I never can. 

I’d like to be under 210 before summer. There’s no reason I can’t be there even by April. 

Let’s go. 

Starting today I am giving up alcohol, and doing the potato hack. Today or tomorrow I will restart rowing. 

Weighed in heavier than usual this morning — 241.2  Much of that is holiday bloat — I’ve been desperately trying to eat and drink everything in the past month. Now I feel awful and am ready to go.

There are no excuses left. I can’t go to restaurants and I can’t travel. I can’t go to work. I have to eat at my home and drink at my home. Whatever I do in the coming months is 100% on me. If I can’t get it done now, I never can. 

I’d like to be under 210 before summer. There’s no reason I can’t be there even by April. 

Let’s go. 
Starting 3 days of potatoes today as well.    Got down to 173 over the summer, from a high of 239 in 2019.     Sitting at 185, and diet is good but alcohol kills all the goals.   #Soberwinter

After a weight loss contest from August to November...I have held steady the last 2 months.  Decided in the last week or so...Id like to drop about 10-12 more prior to March 1.

So...weigh in this morning at 210.3  Going for a maintained weight of 198-202...so I don't mind a little fluctuation over the weeks.  But feel things will fit a bit better at that range.  Im at a weight now where some things fit really well, and others just a bit loose or a bit too tight.  That last 10 should make some things fit just right and help me be a bit healthier as well.

Will get a run in later today (woke up too late to get it in this morning before getting some things ready as my brother and sister in law are stopping by on their way through town to drop off some gifts for my kids).

My goal/plan to lose the weight.  Similar to what I did during the contest...I have a log where I write down everything I eat and any alcohol.  Sort of like counting calories...just keeping it simplistic staying in a certain range, and seeing where I go bad as far as consumption.  Being accountable for everything I put in my body.

While I have kept doing that, to an extent, while maintaining the lost weight I already did..I probably got a little lax on some things (especially after we made some candy and cookies for the holidays) and enjoyed a bit more bourbon and beer as the football season has been coming down.  So I will back off of several things I have been doing that probably kept me from already hitting that goal by the end of the year (I was not trying to).  No more chips again...I like salty snacks so this one has always been hard.  I did well for those few months so no more chips again.  My basic snack at night during this is a little popcorn (Orville Red makes a smart pop thing...its like a 100 calorie microwave bag and actually pretty tasty).  Probably won't get into any of the cookies...and limit to one small piece of chocolate or dark chocolate each day (if I even have that).  And limit alcohol consumption to one day each week and even then...3 drink or beer max.  And continue my running and be better about working out.  Son and I got a small weight bench this summer that we did well on for a while.  But slowly it turned in to maybe getting out there once a week.  On days I don't run...I will walk about 4 miles and lift weights with my son.

Let’s go. 
Yes to all of these things. 

Easter is April 4th.  That's 13 weeks to lose 31.2 lbs counting the 5 plus pounds of water and bloat is tough, but doable. End of April works if you don't get there by Easter. 

Sober February? Check. Give up booze for lent? Done it plenty of times. 93 days of potatoes? Well... you're on your own there.  I am going with CICO but as long as you do something safe I'm rooting for you. 

My goal/plan to lose the weight.  Similar to what I did during the contest...I have a log where I write down everything I eat and any alcohol.  Sort of like counting calories...just keeping it simplistic staying in a certain range, and seeing where I go bad as far as consumption.  Being accountable for everything I put in my body.
Have you tried the myfitnesspal app?  It's exactly that except it has all the foods in the database even restaurant foods and random grocery store brands, including their calories, protein, fiber, etc. There's even a bar code scanner that will pick up all the info so you don't even have to type it in. I recommend it incessantly

2020 was a pretty eye opening year for me.  My weight on 1/1/20 was 235.  The quarantine and some added stress from some family issues bloated that to 257 on July 15th.

I joined Noom that week and today I'm 204 with a goal of 199 in clear sight.  

Not intending this to be a Noom commercial, but would just add at this point of the year for everyone, it really helped me understand the "why" I couldn't get things under control in the past.  Keto, vegetarian, Atkins, WW, South Beach.  I have tried them all and for once, on 1/1 I don't have a huge "need to lose a lot of weight" feeling around my neck.

Good luck to everyone in 2021.  Hope you are all healthy and happy.

2020 was a pretty eye opening year for me.  My weight on 1/1/20 was 235.  The quarantine and some added stress from some family issues bloated that to 257 on July 15th.

Not intending this to be a Noom commercial, but would just add at this point of the year for everyone, it really helped me understand the "why" I couldn't get things under control in the past.  Keto, vegetarian, Atkins, WW, South Beach.  I have tried them all and for once, on 1/1 I don't have a huge "need to lose a lot of weight" feeling around my neck.

I know I could probably google it, but could you briefly explain how noom works?

bostonfred said:
Yes to all of these things. 

Easter is April 4th.  That's 13 weeks to lose 31.2 lbs counting the 5 plus pounds of water and bloat is tough, but doable. End of April works if you don't get there by Easter. 

Sober February? Check. Give up booze for lent? Done it plenty of times. 93 days of potatoes? Well... you're on your own there.  I am going with CICO but as long as you do something safe I'm rooting for you. 
Yeah, I don’t think I can do 3 months of potatoes. But I can start off potatoes only for a bit and then slowly introduce other (healthy) things, like salads etc.  I have some easy potato hacks in my Arsenal as well — last time I started cutting them into wedges and pouring a little Rao’s tomato sauce on top. It tasted like pasta. And I don’t think tomatoes ever made anyone fat. I also have these frozen bagged shoestring potatoes from the organic aisle—they have some salt and pepper seasoning on them and otherwise that’s it. Throw them in a pan and stir them up, maybe spray a small amount of olive oil spray or avocado spray. They taste pretty darn good.  And these are things that, again, never made anyone fat. Point is, I don’t have to be a martyr “I only am eating boiled plain potatoes” to lose weight and get right on this. It can be less painful and just as effective. 

Combine this with removing alcohol and also exercising more, and I’m setting up well. 

Deepster said:

This is truly awesome to read!

bostonfred said:
Have you tried the myfitnesspal app?  It's exactly that except it has all the foods in the database even restaurant foods and random grocery store brands, including their calories, protein, fiber, etc. There's even a bar code scanner that will pick up all the info so you don't even have to type it in. I recommend it incessantly
I have and not a huge fan of it.  Its ok...but for some reason, my mind works better seeing it on my computer.   Part of my daily routine and created a spreadsheet.  Sit down with my coffee each morning and plan the day and document things then and at night.  Have a list of things I eat often...but at this point I about know the calories in most of the staples we have around the house.  I find myself not using the app...where I have stuck well with the spreadsheet I created.  Maybe once I hit the goal...or I wil try it again during this.  Not sure.

• Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 31         211.6                -1.5                    4010
  • Jan 1           211.2                -1.9
Well yesterday was my designated cheat day and I knew I was going to blow it out.  My body usually has a lag day for some reason so I really expect a good size jump tomorrow.  I also slept in an extra hour so my weight is a little artificially low this morning.  After not having a real cheat day since Thanksgiving, I really felt uncomfortably stuffed.  The only thing I really missed were the brownies (so I had 5).  Also pizza and nachos and I can easily pass on those on a regular day.  If brownies are nearby, I'm in danger so we don't keep any in the house.

Happy New Year!

bostonfred said:
I have and not a huge fan of it.  Its ok...but for some reason, my mind works better seeing it on my computer.   Part of my daily routine and created a spreadsheet.  Sit down with my coffee each morning and plan the day and document things then and at night.  Have a list of things I eat often...but at this point I about know the calories in most of the staples we have around the house.  I find myself not using the app...where I have stuck well with the spreadsheet I created.  Maybe once I hit the goal...or I wil try it again during this.  Not sure.
Everyone is different so whatever works for you is best.  Creating that disciplined, repeatable approach for you is what works.  I do like the app but I mainly just check calories on it.

Shatner! said:
I know I could probably google it, but could you briefly explain how noom works?
Sure.  I think it was 149.99 for 6 months but there are specials out there that can cut that a little.

It's an app and you use it for a few different things:

1) It's a food tracker.  But there aren't really pts or counting carbs.  Foods are green, yellow, red and you try to keep the %'s in each over a day.  You can track food in grams or ounces (I did) or with definitions like "a handful" or "a big bowl".  Whatever works for you.  You also weigh in at the same time every day at the same time.

2) Every day there are 3-4 mini-articles that take 8-10 minutes to read.  These really get to why you can't control your weight.  They teach you a lot about how your brain and body work together.  A LOT of psychological challenges or exercises.  It really is a psychological program.  You have to set an ultimate goal for yourself (and not something generic like "lose 20 lbs", but something deeper.  And you have to make a commitment to yourself that you're all in.  I knew on Day 1 I'd hit my goal weight for sure.  It just clicked inside me.

3) There is a message board for your mini group and you get a "coach".  The coach checks in every week (through the app) and will make sure you're on track with your goals for the week (workout 5 times, eat a salad with dinner every night that week, etc).  I don't find the board or coach to be a ton of value, but you can get recipes or advice if you hit a plateau and your group is all similar folks that all started at the same time.

I like the food tracking.  The articles were super helpful for me.  They're written a little goofy with a lot of hashtags (like #NoomNerds) but they resonated with me.  At the end of the day, I was just lazy and undisciplined.  That's it.  And it is something that holds me accountable to my goal.  I'm also on a couple Facebook groups, one for Noom Men Only and another for recipes. Can answer anything else if it helps.  Good luck.

One other thing about Noom.  They don't try to sell you premium plans or food prep or anything else.  And, actually, they're weaning me off it slowly now that I'm near my goal weight.  I had to do a week where I didn't weigh or log my food to train me to NOT use the app.  I don't feel I'm getting money grabbed for ANYTHING else.

Starting on Monday. 1500 calories a day. I use My Fitness Pal to track the calories. Did this last year and lost 60 lbs but I've gain at least 20 back because of Covid (and beer). Weigh in is Monday so that 20 could be higher. Got a 12 pack of beer, a bottle of white wine and  3 of my favorite dinners planed over the weekend. 

3) There is a message board for your mini group and you get a "coach".  The coach checks in every week (through the app) and will make sure you're on track with your goals for the week (workout 5 times, eat a salad with dinner every night that week, etc).  I don't find the board or coach to be a ton of value, but you can get recipes or advice if you hit a plateau and your group is all similar folks that all started at the same time.
I'm in for $10 towards Otis's subscription provided he goes full shtick and posts all exchanges that he has with his coach.  

Does this work?
I don't do all potatoes, but I do eat a crap load of them (probably about 5lbs a week).  Combine a medium nuked potato with a 1/4lb of chicken breast (highly recommend the 2.5lb pouch of rotisserie chicken white meat that costco puts out), you're looking at a 300 calories, low fat, loaded with protein and filling meal.   I eat a lot of small meals and that one is my default.  

Last edited by a moderator:
220.4 this morning. Started at 229.2. Probably won't make a full 10lbs, but am still hoping to get to 219.9 by Christmas day. 
Final weigh-in is 220.4 this morning. Not quite 9 pounds. Very happy with that. 

The daily fluctuations would be frustrating if you live and die by that. I actually saw 219.0 the other day just before lunch, but that must have been after a monster poop. I hopped on the scale just before and just after the shower this morning and went from 220.4 to 221.8. Meh. So now I'll try to stay at 220 or below through New Years and then start the New Years to Valentine's Day 10 pound challenge. 

Merry Christmas everybody ⛄🎄!
Thanksgiving to Christmas: 229.2 to 220.4.

Hanging out with my brother to celebrate New Years tonight, so starting a New Years to Valentine's Day stretch starting on Sunday. Official weigh in on Sunday, but thinking I should be starting around 219 since I've eaten decent this week but had a few high calorie days. 

I'm in for $10 towards Otis's subscription provided he goes full shtick and posts all exchanges that he has with his coach.  
So the coach basically asks you questions. What would you like to do this week?  What are you struggling with?  Why do you think you’re struggling?  How do you want to approach that?   Like I said earlier, I didn’t really have an excuse for a challenge like not working out 3 days that week so it just made me feel/sound lazy and I didn’t like that. 

If I could just cut down on the beer.

I eat so little--I drink so much.

I am going to try starting Monday and see where it goes. My 16 year old daughter is concerned about my weight and is pushing me to lose it. 

5'11--239. 

Users who are viewing this thread