Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in?


bostonfred

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Judge Smails said:

So far so good.  Trying to be consistent every day.  Moving every day one way or another.  3 long walks with the dog, walking while golfing, Peleton.  Being very disciplined with food intake.  Cut way back on salt (blood pressure + water retention) and eating clean.  No red meat.  Nothing processed.  No added sugar.  No bread or grain carbs.  No red wine at all.  No drinking on weekdays.  Had 2 vodka sodas tonight and that's it.  214 to 206.  Will get into the 190's and then see where I'm at.

Great progress!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Actual Calories

Dec 31        152.9        (new base wt)          1635

Jan 1           153.1                +0.2                   1820

Jan 2           153.3                +0.4                   2350 

Jan 3           153.0                +0.1                   1950

Jan 4           152.8                -0.1                    1550

Jan 5           153.0                +0.1                   1550

Jan 6           152.0                -0.9                    1525

Jan 7           151.2                -1.7                    1650

Jan 8           151.0                -1.9                    1700

 

Got takeout for kids tonight from our usual burger place.  Decided to skip the chocolate peanut butter malt -- didn't even split with Mrs APK.  Stuck with my small scoop of ice cream at 9pm.   Pretty active today so my net calories were in line with the past 5 days -- but we will see what that means.   My body still seems to be more affected by total calories vs net (unless I do serious amounts of mileage, like an 8+ mile run).   Tomorrow I'm hoping to do at least a 6-mile run, and might follow that with a 4-mile walk with the Mrs.    Going to follow the advice of a few others in here and avoid eating until noon tomorrow, as a test.   I tend to stay up later on the weekends, which means more hours to make bad food decisions late at night.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Me neither.  That’s the beauty of using an app to track calories and having a goal.   The app won’t lie to me — reality is on the screen in front of me.

Otherwise I will justify eating an entire tub of ice cream and chase it down with a half bag of doritos.

I just lose interest in writing down “a pint of Chunky Monkey, 16 oreos, half bag of Stacy’s pita chips and a tub of hummus, 12 oz gouda cheese, eaten in front of the fridge with the door open and no pants” by day 3. 

I have to make myself a zealot, to really build momentum. Kinda like pre-Navy Seal David Goggins.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Zow said:

Stepped on the scale this morning and somehow put back on a pound and a half. I was good yesterday (barely eclipsed my caloric goal) so not sure what happened there but just going to ignore. 

Perfect decision, any of a number of things being slightly above your goal may have increased the sodium level in your body and should adjust soon. Out of curiosity one time when I had to pee really badly after holding it for a while when I was out of the house I weighed in before and after when I got home. I took a 2 lb pee with equates to just under a quart of water. 

 

How's that for a string of prepositional phrases? 

Edited by Dezbelief
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Clown Car said:

I have completed my first week of no sweet tea. Water only. Got back to yoga class. I’m annoyed at all you guys losing between 3-10 pounds in the first week. 
Jan 1 208

Jan 8 206

It's not easy at first drinking unsweet tea, but I switched years ago and it's a calorie saver. It's not fair comparing yourself to us guys. We tend to have higher metabolisms allowing us to burn more calories while doing nothing but I also theorize a lower metabolism is part of the reason women live longer than men. 2 lbs in a week is a wonderful place to be. 

 

Do you have another source of caffeine or did you fight through the caffeine headaches and come out on the other side? 

Edited by Dezbelief
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/5/2021 at 10:44 PM, Ministry of Pain said:

Mon-90 Minutes 

Tue/Tonight-Was scheduled to play Doubles but my partner didn't show so I decided to play 1 vs 2, they had to keep it inside the Singles lines and I got the Doubles lines...I won 6-3, 7-5. 

120 Minutes tonight, 

2 Days-210 Minutes, had 2 slices of pizza today and 4 beers. 👍  

Wed-Off

Thursday-120 Minutes

Friday-30 Minutes but in reality it was hours of fresh air activity, hard to gauge the exercise. 

Today-90 Minutes then wall to wall NFL this afternoon like many of you. 

6 Days in 450 Minutes, not really setting the land speed record for minutes in a month. Just checking in. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1450 calories (including 2 beers)

20 minute walk in the rain and 45 minutes on the bike. 

I had the 2 beers instead of the ice cream the rest of the family was having. Probably the same number of calories, but it kept my sugar craving from kicking back in. I have avoided sweets all week and don’t even want them now. A bowl of chocolate sitting on the counter all week hasn’t been touched. I am afraid if I have one I will eat them all. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/3/2021 at 8:59 AM, FBG26 said:

220.0 this morning. Had hoped to be a little lower, but I had a lot of cookies and beer the week between Christmas and New Years. With 6 weeks to Valentine's Day, the goal is 210 which should be very attainable. 

Thanksgiving to Christmas: 229.2 to 220.4.

New Years to Valentine's Day:

Jan 3: 220.0

Jan 9: 218.0

Looking at MFP, I'm typically around 1700-1800 calories. My goal is 1500 but I find that that's not always satisfying. Rather than struggle to stay under 1500 and then fall off the bandwagon because it's a constant struggle, I'm perfectly content if I go over my calorie goal while sustainably losing weight. I could probably do a rigid 1500 calorie goal for a while, but I can do a flexible 1700-1800 goal indefinitely, which is the lifestyle change I need. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Dezbelief said:

It's not easy at first drinking unsweet tea, but I switched years ago and it's a calorie saver. It's not fair comparing yourself to us guys. We tend to have higher metabolisms allowing us to burn more calories while doing nothing but I also theorize a lower metabolism is part of the reason women live longer than men. 2 lbs in a week is a wonderful place to be. 

 

Do you have another source of caffeine or did you fight through the caffeine headaches and come out on the other side? 

I didn’t have the headaches. I was only drinking tea at breakfast and dinner for the most part. So it wasn’t a big change. Thanks for the encouragement. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Me neither.  That’s the beauty of using an app to track calories and having a goal.   The app won’t lie to me — reality is on the screen in front of me.

Otherwise I will justify eating an entire tub of ice cream and chase it down with a half bag of doritos.

Amateur I see.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Wed-Off

Thursday-120 Minutes

Friday-30 Minutes but in reality it was hours of fresh air activity, hard to gauge the exercise. 

Today-90 Minutes then wall to wall NFL this afternoon like many of you. 

6 Days in 450 Minutes, not really setting the land speed record for minutes in a month. Just checking in. 

Awesome on the activity.  That's a huge amount of exercise that should pay off.

31 minutes ago, FBG26 said:

Thanksgiving to Christmas: 229.2 to 220.4.

New Years to Valentine's Day:

Jan 3: 220.0

Jan 9: 218.0

Looking at MFP, I'm typically around 1700-1800 calories. My goal is 1500 but I find that that's not always satisfying. Rather than struggle to stay under 1500 and then fall off the bandwagon because it's a constant struggle, I'm perfectly content if I go over my calorie goal while sustainably losing weight. I could probably do a rigid 1500 calorie goal for a while, but I can do a flexible 1700-1800 goal indefinitely, which is the lifestyle change I need. 

Excellent approach.  If your base burn rate is around 2200 you should crush it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Flying Turtle said:

1450 calories (including 2 beers)

20 minute walk in the rain and 45 minutes on the bike. 

I had the 2 beers instead of the ice cream the rest of the family was having. Probably the same number of calories, but it kept my sugar craving from kicking back in. I have avoided sweets all week and don’t even want them now. A bowl of chocolate sitting on the counter all week hasn’t been touched. I am afraid if I have one I will eat them all. 

Nice.  All the talk in here about me not eating enough ended up pushing me to 1440 by the end of dinner yesterday.  I was staring down a lonely IPA whispering how great it's 210 calories would be.  Ended up going with two lattes at 80 cal each taking me to 1526 on the day.  Did go to the gym, but only lifted and skipped cardio.  Yesterday was a fail on both fronts.  Today will be tough with family birth celebrations.  There's been talk about brewing hopping.  I guess the plus of that is that any weight I put on drinking beer will be offset by the Covid sickness if a couple of weeks.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Dec 28         235.0
  • Dec 30         231.8
  • Dec 31          231.0
  • Jan 1            231.5
  • Jan 2            231.8
  • Jan 3            233.6
  • Jan 4            234.8
  • Jan 5            235.7
  • Jan 6            235.2
  • Jan  8           232.0
  • Jan  9           230.5    

Had 4 days off after New Years and had a rough time with the fasting when I'm at home.  The mornings are ok but tough to be up later than normal and not fall into old habits.  Meal prepped black beans and quinoa this week garnished with avo or sweet potatoes.  Black beans were really easy in the crock pot.  One lb beans, 8 cups water, half onion chopped, one garlic clove minced, 2t salt, 1t pepper flakes, 1 bay leaf.  Surprised at how much kick 1t of pepper flakes gave it.  Usually black beans are so freaking bland.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Navin Johnson said:
  • Dec 28         235.0
  • Dec 30         231.8
  • Dec 31          231.0
  • Jan 1            231.5
  • Jan 2            231.8
  • Jan 3            233.6
  • Jan 4            234.8
  • Jan 5            235.7
  • Jan 6            235.2
  • Jan  8           232.0
  • Jan  9           230.5    

Had 4 days off after New Years and had a rough time with the fasting when I'm at home.  The mornings are ok but tough to be up later than normal and not fall into old habits.  Meal prepped black beans and quinoa this week garnished with avo or sweet potatoes.  Black beans were really easy in the crock pot.  One lb beans, 8 cups water, half onion chopped, one garlic clove minced, 2t salt, 1t pepper flakes, 1 bay leaf.  Surprised at how much kick 1t of pepper flakes gave it.  Usually black beans are so freaking bland.

I know it's not a humble brag but it couldbe. You lost a pound in 9 days after eating badly for 4 of them. Nice work. 

Love the pepper flakes in the black beans. I know I'm wasting money buying them canned but I don't have a great recipe. Might try this. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lets get it gang. Lot of hard work being done in this thread.

My Saturday morning -

Yoga 15 min session w Erin Motz

Gym - chest, tri, back

Treadmill walk run (30 min)

8,000 steps before lunch

 

  • Feeling strong
  • May do Peloton later and take some walks
  • Not too tempted by the Football snacking yet (wife and I are cooking healthy recipes and food prepping for the week)

If anyone has coffee issues (mine were related to middle ear disease induced vertigo), then I encourage you to look into MUDWTR. It has been a gamechanger for me in terms of having a 'coffee' drink and getting off caffeine. Not that I think caffeine is unhealthy. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                 Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY
  • Dec 26         213.1                -                         1420
  • Dec 27         212.7                -0.4                    1510
  • Dec 28         212.9                -0.2                    2070
  • Dec 29         212.3                -0.8                    1470
  • Dec 30         212.9                -0.2                    1420
  • Dec 31         211.6                -1.5                    4010
  • Jan 1           211.2                -1.9                    1510
  • Jan 2           213.4                +0.3                   1240
  • Jan 3           210.9                -2.2                    1600
  • Jan 4           209.8                -3.3                    1490
  • Jan 5           209.6                -3.5                    1820
  • Jan 6           210.2                -2.9                    1620
  • Jan 7           210.3                -2.8                    1540
  • Jan 8           210.3                -2.8                    1510
  • Jan 9           209.4                -3.7

I slept in an hour later so it was probably closer to 209.6.  Was hoping to get some real biking in but it is in the upper 30s here so it looks like another session on the spin bike today.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bostonfred said:

I know it's not a humble brag but it couldbe. You lost a pound in 9 days after eating badly for 4 of them. Nice work. 

Love the pepper flakes in the black beans. I know I'm wasting money buying them canned but I don't have a great recipe. Might try this. 

Gonna tweak it from here.  Maybe one less cup of water and a splash of olive oil. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Clown Car said:

I didn’t have the headaches. I was only drinking tea at breakfast and dinner for the most part. So it wasn’t a big change. Thanks for the encouragement. 

I switched from Diet Cole to unsweet tea years ago and had headaches for 2 weeks. That convinced me how bad diet drinks are for you. Anything that causes withdrawals can’t be healthy. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thursday 1/7: 249.5

Saturday 1/9:  237.5

48 hours into the fast and started diuresing. Either that or I am incredibly efficient fat burner.

Also, getting old sucks. I am not even gonna say how many pushups I can do, but it's less than my age.

Feeling motivated.

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, ProstheticRGK said:

Thursday 1/7: 249.5

Saturday 1/9:  237.5

48 hours into the fast and started diuresing. Either that or I am incredibly efficient fat burner.

Also, getting old sucks. I am not even gonna say how many pushups I can do, but it's less than my age.

Feeling motivated.

 

You were expecting to bang out 70 straight pushups?

  • Laughing 2
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, belljr said:

You were expecting to bang out 70 straight pushups?

yes, on my 70th birthday.

I guess I was expecting not to have fallen off a cliff. I used to be able to do 100 non-stop, like 10-12 years ago. I didn't make half that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ProstheticRGK said:

yes, on my 70th birthday.

I guess I was expecting not to have fallen off a cliff. I used to be able to do 100 non-stop, like 10-12 years ago. I didn't make half that.

If it makes you feel better I can barely do 20 straight and i was in the 300 club :bag:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's a lot of CICO stuff here, but CICO isn't really for everyone.  I've always held that if counting calories is really not your bag if you:

Pick 2 of the 3 of this list

  • Drink no calories whatsoever
  • Consume fewer than 50g of carbs which does not have fiber along for the ride.
  • Eat less than your ideal weight in g of carbs total

And

  • Eat at most 1 portion of food completely immersed in oil or that has trans fats per week.  (Ideally none)

You then may

  • Eat as much fiber containing carbs as you would wish (Think fruits/veg/starch/beans)
  • Eat as much primarily protein food as you wish (i.e. anything which derives it's most calories from protein) 

I would challenge anyone to exceed 2200 calories a day on that.  

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ProstheticRGK said:

yes, on my 70th birthday.

I guess I was expecting not to have fallen off a cliff. I used to be able to do 100 non-stop, like 10-12 years ago. I didn't make half that.

50 straight pushups is nothing to sneeze at (at any age).   :shrug: 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, culdeus said:

There's a lot of CICO stuff here, but CICO isn't really for everyone.  I've always held that if counting calories is really not your bag if you:

Pick 2 of the 3 of this list

  • Drink no calories whatsoever
  • Consume fewer than 50g of carbs which does not have fiber along for the ride.
  • Eat less than your ideal weight in g of carbs total

And

  • Eat at most 1 portion of food completely immersed in oil or that has trans fats per week.  (Ideally none)

You then may

  • Eat as much fiber containing carbs as you would wish (Think fruits/veg/starch/beans)
  • Eat as much primarily protein food as you wish (i.e. anything which derives it's most calories from protein) 

I would challenge anyone to exceed 2200 calories a day on that.  

The above are definitely a good guide for people who hate to count calories.  Good stuff, thx for sharing!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Coffee, a slice of pizza, a mini chicken caesar wrap and a couple bites of my kid's lunch, two chicken breasts stuffed with broccoli and cheddar with a big side of broccoli cauliflower and carrots, and a wine glass with 8 oz tart cherry juice so I could pretend i wasn't doing this for a minute. 

35 minutes rowing, 28 minutes yoga

1499 net calories with one to spare. 138g protein, 159g carbs (only 17g fiber but not horrible) and 71g fat. Sodium a little high at almost 2700m but not terrible either. 

0 days over calories, no alcohol. 84 more days until Easter. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Actual Calories

Dec 31        152.9        (new base wt)          1635

Jan 1           153.1                +0.2                   1820

Jan 2           153.3                +0.4                   2350 

Jan 3           153.0                +0.1                   1950

Jan 4           152.8                -0.1                    1550

Jan 5           153.0                +0.1                   1550

Jan 6           152.0                -0.9                    1525

Jan 7           151.2                -1.7                    1650

Jan 8           151.0                -1.9                    1700

Jan 9           150.5                -2.4                    1750

 

This will be a good experiment.  I waited until 12pm to have my first bite to eat and was smart about eating good, healthy, quality food -- along with my normal small scoop of ice cream tonight.   But.....also ran 8 miles and walked 4 miles.  Lots of exercise.   My net calories for the day were about 850.   I'm curious to see what happens.....because my gross calories seem to have been a better predictor than net.....

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Actual Calories

Dec 31        152.9        (new base wt)          1635

Jan 1           153.1                +0.2                   1820

Jan 2           153.3                +0.4                   2350 

Jan 3           153.0                +0.1                   1950

Jan 4           152.8                -0.1                    1550

Jan 5           153.0                +0.1                   1550

Jan 6           152.0                -0.9                    1525

Jan 7           151.2                -1.7                    1650

Jan 8           151.0                -1.9                    1700

Jan 9           150.5                -2.4                    1750

 

This will be a good experiment.  I waited until 12pm to have my first bite to eat and was smart about eating good, healthy, quality food -- along with my normal small scoop of ice cream tonight.   But.....also ran 8 miles and walked 4 miles.  Lots of exercise.   My net calories for the day were about 850.   I'm curious to see what happens.....because my gross calories seem to have been a better predictor than net.....

I suspect the best predictor will be the color of your pee this morning, not your gross vs net calories.

  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bostonfred said:

I suspect the best predictor will be the color of your pee this morning, not your gross vs net calories.

Appreciate the suggestion.  Really don’t think that is a major factor for me.  I’m consistently pretty hydrated.   Especially in winter.  It’s just something I focus on and have built into my day.   Constant water consumption.

Pizza is the only thing that throws me off a tad.  It’s just too damn salty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Appreciate the suggestion.  Really don’t think that is a major factor for me.  I’m consistently pretty hydrated.   Especially in winter.  It’s just something I focus on and have built into my day.   Constant water consumption.

Pizza is the only thing that throws me off a tad.  It’s just too damn salty.

It wasn't really a suggestion I just meant that if you're running 8 miles and drinking however much water plus eating more food than usual, your weight the next day isn't an accurate test of whether you can count net calories instead of gross. 

I would also guess that at 150 lbs you burn a lot fewer calories running a mile than I do, because I'm carrying an 80 lb ruck sack. I don't know if myfitnesspal modifies the calories burned for exercise but I suspect they use the same estimate for everyone. 

If I run for 60 minutes at 8mph, it says I will burn 1390 calories. I don't know if that's true because I can barely run 8mph for a mile. If I run 7mp for 60 minutes it says I'll burn 1184. Are those the same numbers you see?  Because that would explain some of the discrepancy you've mentioned better than "I can't eat my calories burned". I'd expect those numbers to be slightly low for me and slightly too high for you.

I'd also expect that your activity level when you're not running 8 miles is not zero, so you're replacing some activity that you'd normally be doing with running, and an hour or more of stuff you'd usually do (and the time before and afterwards when you're probably resting from your run instead of doing stuff around the house) is removed from your regular daily activity.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

It wasn't really a suggestion I just meant that if you're running 8 miles and drinking however much water plus eating more food than usual, your weight the next day isn't an accurate test of whether you can count net calories instead of gross. 

I would also guess that at 150 lbs you burn a lot fewer calories running a mile than I do, because I'm carrying an 80 lb ruck sack. I don't know if myfitnesspal modifies the calories burned for exercise but I suspect they use the same estimate for everyone. 

If I run for 60 minutes at 8mph, it says I will burn 1390 calories. I don't know if that's true because I can barely run 8mph for a mile. If I run 7mp for 60 minutes it says I'll burn 1184. Are those the same numbers you see?  Because that would explain some of the discrepancy you've mentioned better than "I can't eat my calories burned". I'd expect those numbers to be slightly low for me and slightly too high for you.

I'd also expect that your activity level when you're not running 8 miles is not zero, so you're replacing some activity that you'd normally be doing with running, and an hour or more of stuff you'd usually do (and the time before and afterwards when you're probably resting from your run instead of doing stuff around the house) is removed from your regular daily activity.  

Alright, that's a lot to take in.   On your first paragraph, yeah, that makes sense.  It seems like I basically have a 2-day lag between what I eat and what translates into weight.  I've actually taken my past 6 weeks of input and output and am trying to build a simple predictive model.   Just curious what it ends up saying.  And I'm a math guy, so it's kinda fun.

MFP app says that if I run 60 minutes at 8mph (which is faster than I typically run btw), I will burn 856 calories.  If I run 60 min at 6mph (closer to my normal pace), I burn around 650 calories.  Is it adjusting perfectly?  No, but it seems reasonable based on all the permutations I've looked at.    My sense is that the calories burned by walking are total BS.

My activity level when not running or walking is close to zero.   It's too cold here to play tennis outdoors now, and I really don't do much besides run or walk.   I try to let Mrs APK get the ego boost that comes from everything else, like grocery shopping or vacuuming, etc.  ;)

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.  I might be prone to overthinking this stuff, but glad to see I'm not the only one.  😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/9/2021 at 12:14 AM, Alex P Keaton said:

Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Actual Calories

Dec 31        152.9        (new base wt)          1635

Jan 1           153.1                +0.2                   1820

Jan 2           153.3                +0.4                   2350 

Jan 3           153.0                +0.1                   1950

Jan 4           152.8                -0.1                    1550

Jan 5           153.0                +0.1                   1550

Jan 6           152.0                -0.9                    1525

Jan 7           151.2                -1.7                    1650

Jan 8           151.0                -1.9                    1700

 

Got takeout for kids tonight from our usual burger place.  Decided to skip the chocolate peanut butter malt -- didn't even split with Mrs APK.  Stuck with my small scoop of ice cream at 9pm.   Pretty active today so my net calories were in line with the past 5 days -- but we will see what that means.   My body still seems to be more affected by total calories vs net (unless I do serious amounts of mileage, like an 8+ mile run).   Tomorrow I'm hoping to do at least a 6-mile run, and might follow that with a 4-mile walk with the Mrs.    Going to follow the advice of a few others in here and avoid eating until noon tomorrow, as a test.   I tend to stay up later on the weekends, which means more hours to make bad food decisions late at night.

Did I miss why you are trying to lose weight?

  • Laughing 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, jobarules said:

Did I miss why you are trying to lose weight?

Lol.  I’m not tall.  Or jacked up like everyone else in here.  And have high cholesterol.

Actually debated not putting my actual weight in here.  Anyway, spiked up too much before Thanksgiving due to COVID times and work.   And literally couldn’t figure out how to lose weight.  Became sugar-addicted. 
 

Edit to add:  I’m almost at my target weight, but still plan to a) gain muscle, b) reduce my body fat % which is way higher than healthy still.    Also am more focused on developing healthier long-term food habits, and the MFP app really helps with that. 
 

Edited by Alex P Keaton
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Lol.  I’m not tall.  Or jacked up like everyone else in here.  And have high cholesterol.

Actually debated not putting my actual weight in here.  Anyway, spiked up too much before Thanksgiving due to COVID times and work.   And literally couldn’t figure out how to lose weight.  Became sugar-addicted. 
 

Edit to add:  I’m almost at my target weight, but still plan to a) gain muscle, b) reduce my body fat % which is way higher than healthy still.    Also am more focused on developing healthier long-term food habits, and the MFP app really helps with that. 
 

Just curious how tall - last year I got down to 158 and that was really damn skinny for me.  I think I was underweight despite what BMI says (which I know is crap - just saving somebody the time).  FTR, I’m 5’9”.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Just curious how tall - last year I got down to 158 and that was really damn skinny for me.  I think I was underweight despite what BMI says (which I know is crap - just saving somebody the time).  FTR, I’m 5’9”.

Let’s just say I’m shorter than you. ;)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                 Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY
  • Dec 26         213.1                -                         1420
  • Dec 27         212.7                -0.4                    1510
  • Dec 28         212.9                -0.2                    2070
  • Dec 29         212.3                -0.8                    1470
  • Dec 30         212.9                -0.2                    1420
  • Dec 31         211.6                -1.5                    4010
  • Jan 1           211.2                -1.9                    1510
  • Jan 2           213.4                +0.3                   1240
  • Jan 3           210.9                -2.2                    1600
  • Jan 4           209.8                -3.3                    1490
  • Jan 5           209.6                -3.5                    1820
  • Jan 6           210.2                -2.9                    1620
  • Jan 7           210.3                -2.8                    1540
  • Jan 8           210.3                -2.8                    1510
  • Jan 9           209.4                -3.7                    1620
  • Jan 10         209.8                -3.3

A little over 2 weeks in since the rest, losing about 1.5 per week.  That's a good safe rate but would rather be losing 2 or maybe 2.5 per.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Alex P Keaton said:
5 hours ago, jobarules said:

Did I miss why you are trying to lose weight?

Lol.  I’m not tall.  Or jacked up like everyone else in here.  And have high cholesterol.

Actually debated not putting my actual weight in here.  Anyway, spiked up too much before Thanksgiving due to COVID times and work.   And literally couldn’t figure out how to lose weight.  Became sugar-addicted. 
 

Edit to add:  I’m almost at my target weight, but still plan to a) gain muscle, b) reduce my body fat % which is way higher than healthy still.    Also am more focused on developing healthier long-term food habits, and the MFP app really helps with that. 

I asked him this earlier in the thread as well, and it's really not a fair question.  It doesn't have to be just about weight loss, but more about getting your body in a place that you like and is healthier going forward.  Great progress on the journey so far!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bostonfred said:

You have the mind of a successful VC. Pretty amazing the similarities between what you've been posting in here for months and his article.

It definitely is all mental.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, ProstheticRGK said:

You have the mind of a successful VC. Pretty amazing the similarities between what you've been posting in here for months and his article.

It definitely is all mental.

It's interesting how he came to some of his conclusions vs. how I came to mine.  One thing he mentioned in this article is that he has good willpower at night because he is focused on the weigh in the next morning, while I like to save calories for night because that's when I know I want to eat. I've done plenty of both and I do like starting out with a good breakfast but when it's 1pm and I have 800 calories left before exercise I feel like I am not even on a diet because you can have almost anything for 800 calories, but when I'm down to 400 it kind of adds stress to my afternoon because I need to stay vigilant. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Two things I have noticed recently 

1) it takes me about 1000 calories to get my protein and fiber for the day. I can do it for about 800 in a pinch - skyr with raspberries and chicken with broccoli and cauliflower gets me both. But if I want any variety in my diet I can't just eat those two exact meals every day. So I really have about 500 calories per day plus exercise to mess around with. But all empty (from a macro perspective) calories are not the same. A banana has 105 calories and a modest 3.1g fiber with no protein but it's clearly a better option than a candy bar. I'm going to start working on improving those "empty" calories, at least some of the time. It will be easier when I'm on maintenance calories but I want to develop good habits for both. 

2) I was talking to @Alex P Keaton about how his hydration probably had more to do with his daily weigh in than his calories. have weighed myself after waking up thirsty and it seems like I should weigh less. So I've put it to the test and been drinking more water including right before bed. It turns out I pee most of it out anyways, because I end up weighing about exactly what I expected. With so many people doing daily weigh ins, just a reminder to stay hydrated. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

Two things I have noticed recently 

2) I was talking to @Alex P Keaton about how his hydration probably had more to do with his daily weigh in than his calories. have weighed myself after waking up thirsty and it seems like I should weigh less. So I've put it to the test and been drinking more water including right before bed. It turns out I pee most of it out anyways, because I end up weighing about exactly what I expected. With so many people doing daily weigh ins, just a reminder to stay hydrated. 

You are forgetting about the role of salt here.  It won't have a lasting effect, but to demonstrate this you could simply take an endurance sport salt tablet mid-day and do nothing else and see the effects max hydration can promote on the scale.  This is a test that some runners do, to try and quantify their hydration levels.  In an American diet salt intake can vary wildly day to day, and (typically) when cutting calories some of the very highest salted items are cut out as they tend to be wildly caloric.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just under 1500 calories which is great considering I felt like I cheated a lot (I think I counted everything I ate).

I had a few chocolate covered almonds (instead of a handful). I had 1 cheese enchilada (instead of 3).  I ate 6 tortilla chips (instead of an entire bowl). Overall just enough to satisfy my urges. 
 

30 minutes on the bike and 45 minute walk. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bostonfred said:

It's interesting how he came to some of his conclusions vs. how I came to mine.  One thing he mentioned in this article is that he has good willpower at night because he is focused on the weigh in the next morning, while I like to save calories for night because that's when I know I want to eat. I've done plenty of both and I do like starting out with a good breakfast but when it's 1pm and I have 800 calories left before exercise I feel like I am not even on a diet because you can have almost anything for 800 calories, but when I'm down to 400 it kind of adds stress to my afternoon because I need to stay vigilant. 

 

Yeah, I’m going to stick with you approach.  Research shows that most people have worse “willpower” at night due to decision fatigue.  I definitely am in that camp.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • bostonfred changed the title to Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...