What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's lose some weight in 2021. Back to the grind... who else is in? (8 Viewers)

Haha.  I feel you on the pantry. I love having all different types of flavors for my coffee, baking and smoothie needs.    And yes, Muscle Milk's macros are terrible and the protein quality poor.  You can definitely find better and cheaper.  Look for isolates and high quality blends with little to no filler.  Quest Protein and Isopure are my favorites with 100 or so calories for 25g protein.  Syntha 6 Edge for more of a dessert (tastes better than Muscle Milk)  with 150 cals per 25g protein.
Big fan of Dymatize ISO and Dymatize Elite.  Mixes easily with water and tastes good.  25 grams of protein and around 120 calories helps with keeping cals low while getting that protein.   

Haven't checked in much here but wanted to post my progress.

Started at 234 on January 1st. Been doing lazy Keto since then and making sure I do 10k+ steps every day either walking or running. 

Checked in at 224 last night after my late night run. I'll take 10 pounds over 4.5 weeks. Keeping the pace. 

I basically sit at my computer all day so some days I'm at 2500 steps at 5p and other days I'm closer to 5k depending on whether or not I walk to the post office in the morning to check my PO Box. 

I have really enjoyed the evening walk to get to 10k or 12k or whatever it ends up being. I put in my Airpods and listen to podcasts. I used to listen to podcasts on my daily commute but since it's been a year or so since I have had a commute that was longer than the walk to my home office, I missed that time. The nightly Walk to 10k has been nice. I started doing it on January 1st. I only missed one day because I fell asleep on the couch at 10:30p (and 9600 steps) but have averaged 11k-12k steps/day since. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Big fan of Dymatize ISO and Dymatize Elite.  Mixes easily with water and tastes good.  25 grams of protein and around 120 calories helps with keeping cals low while getting that protein.   
Dymatize is a good one.  I love their Iso100 and find Amazon will have good sales depending on the flavor.  Just finished a 5lb of Orange Dreamsicle which was great in smoothies.   Been curious to try the Fruity Pebbles variety.  

Some searching seems like some people love it and some thought it was scammy.  Checked glassdoor and reddit for reviews among other places.. One mentioned that they were asked to sign a contract saying that they would keep paying until they hit their goal weight which sounds sketchy as all get out. Whether that's true or not I don't know but it would certainly incentivize bogus promises.  Also saw someone claim they were pushed to sell their expensive food or pills or 250 dollar plans and blame customers if they didn't lose weight because they didn't stick to the plan then try to sell more to them. There were also claims that it helped. It's hard to know whether these are angry disgruntled ex employees or unsuccessful customers leaving bad reviews or paid shills giving good reviews.

What does the program look like besides low carb medium fat medium protein and walking?
It's 100% a scam.  They lock you into a contract that says, when you hit maintenance you don't pay, but they find ways to keep you paying past that point.  Trying to break out of this contract is exceptionally hard, to the point people have to file cease/desist lawsuits.

SOTA makes me want to start up my own weight loss plan, for every week you aren't at your goal weight I kick you square in the balls.   They (SOTA) simply take a massive wad of cash from you each week you can't hit your goal weight.  Accountability, is proven to be effective here, but I mean the fees are variable (mostly based on what they think they can scam you for), it can cost upwards of $20k a year.  

At that rate, just get WLS, seriously.  

SOTA weight loss. They are located in Dallas and started out working with the Cowboys and Mavericks. They have been marketing in Houston (where I live) for the last several months. I meet via phone or zoom with a nutritionist each week. It is basically a modified Keto diet. Low Carb, medium fat, medium protein. Visit their website and tell me what you think. I have been regularly walking on the diet and have just started doing more intense cardio and feel really good.
Lol.  They worked with some back office types, paid to advertise this fact, and that is "working with the Cowboys".  

For me, the program works because I am a rule follower and they make it pretty easy to follow their rules. 
I think there's a lot to be said for this. The tracking apps can be overwhelming since anything goes, and seem to be in-exact when measuring things without barcodes. The potato diet was great because it was easy. I think this type of plan is much better for weight-loss (not a long term solution). Its easier if you have a pre-determined schedule and list of things you are allowed/supposed to eat. Less thinking required. Less mistakes to make. Good luck to you.

It's 100% a scam.  They lock you into a contract that says, when you hit maintenance you don't pay, but they find ways to keep you paying past that point.  Trying to break out of this contract is exceptionally hard, to the point people have to file cease/desist lawsuits.

SOTA makes me want to start up my own weight loss plan, for every week you aren't at your goal weight I kick you square in the balls.   They (SOTA) simply take a massive wad of cash from you each week you can't hit your goal weight.  Accountability, is proven to be effective here, but I mean the fees are variable (mostly based on what they think they can scam you for), it can cost upwards of $20k a year.  

At that rate, just get WLS, seriously.  
Have you done the program?

I'm a little concerned after reading what he said and what you said about pre paying up front for losing all that weight and then you get money back for your two weeks if you hit your goal weight before that date. Does your contract allow them to keep charging you after the two weeks if you dont hit that weight?

I'm a little concerned after reading what he said and what you said about pre paying up front for losing all that weight and then you get money back for your two weeks if you hit your goal weight before that date. Does your contract allow them to keep charging you after the two weeks if you dont hit that weight?
No, it does not. That is why I am asking him if he did the program.

I'm in Dallas and know people that had to retain lawyers just to get SOTA to stop contacting them after being more than 10 pounds under their goal weight, they advertised very hard in this area and got a large client base.  My aunt ended up having to get a restraining order, based, with and I #### you not a doctor saying that her weight was so low she would need to be treated for anorexia if this continued and what they were doing bordered on tortuous harassment.  

The slippery part of the contract is how "maintenance" is defined.  It is an extremely hard target to hit, one would say impossible.  SOTA controls this towards the end game, and their objective is for you to continue paying into maintenance or be monitored to prove you've fallen out and then owe them more money.  

I'm sure there are people affiliated with SOTA that are fine, it's like crossfit.  They get a network of nutritionists, then pay them huge commissions to get people to stay in the program.  Everything runs seamlessly until you hit maintenance.  Then the war starts.  Get ready.

I'm in Dallas and know people that had to retain lawyers just to get SOTA to stop contacting them after being more than 10 pounds under their goal weight, they advertised very hard in this area and got a large client base.  My aunt ended up having to get a restraining order, based, with and I #### you not a doctor saying that her weight was so low she would need to be treated for anorexia if this continued and what they were doing bordered on tortuous harassment.  

The slippery part of the contract is how "maintenance" is defined.  It is an extremely hard target to hit, one would say impossible.  SOTA controls this towards the end game, and their objective is for you to continue paying into maintenance or be monitored to prove you've fallen out and then owe them more money.  

I'm sure there are people affiliated with SOTA that are fine, it's like crossfit.  They get a network of nutritionists, then pay them huge commissions to get people to stay in the program.  Everything runs seamlessly until you hit maintenance.  Then the war starts.  Get ready.
I have not experienced any of that, but I am not, of course, at the maintenance stage. I will let you know if that happens. 

How long ago did this happen with your Aunt? 

From a marketing standpoint, their approach would seem to be counterproductive, as their best advocates would be those that had completed the weight loss program and were able to maintain that weight loss. Hounding those people would only encourage them NOT to market their product.

I have not experienced any of that, but I am not, of course, at the maintenance stage. I will let you know if that happens. 

How long ago did this happen with your Aunt? 

From a marketing standpoint, their approach would seem to be counterproductive, as their best advocates would be those that had completed the weight loss program and were able to maintain that weight loss. Hounding those people would only encourage them NOT to market their product.
This was 2018 timeframe.  

She cut an insane amount of weight.  Far too fast imo.  She's probably halfway back at this point.  Maybe went 280->130->180 or something like that.  

If the structure now is all up front payment, and not weekly/monthly, perhaps that's a move in the right direction.  It's still vastly more expensive than any other similar option out there.  

From looking thru the docs back in 2018, the people that did it were a splinter group off of a program called Harris Fast that wanted to turn it into a subscription model: https://www.hmrprogram.com/  It's possible HMR and SOTA are somehow related, but that wasn't made abundantly clear.  The programs look extremely similar to me though, except for the revenue model.

• Date         |  Weight   |   Chg From Start  |   Weekly Loss   |   Calories
  • Nov 27         226.1                                           
  • Dec 24         212.9                -13.2                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1523
  • NEW START DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS TO VALENTINES DAY
  • Dec 26         213.1               -13.0                                          Avg daily calories during period: 1510       
  • Jan 1           211.2                -14.9                  -1.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1983
  • Jan 8           210.3                -15.8                  -0.9                  Avg daily calories during period: 1546
  • Jan 15         207.0                -19.1                  -3.3                  Avg daily calories during period: 1524
  • Jan 22         205.4                -20.7                  -1.6                  Avg daily calories during period: 1513
  • Jan 29         203.0                -23.1                  -2.4                  Avg daily calories during period: 1521
  • Jan 30         202.1                -24.0                                          1650
  • Jan 31         202.3                -23.8                                          2000 - Hard to know for this one, estimate only
  • Feb 1          202.1                -24.0                                          1390
  • Feb 2          201.5                -24.6                                          1580
  • Feb 3          201.9                -24.2

This was 2018 timeframe.  

She cut an insane amount of weight.  Far too fast imo.  She's probably halfway back at this point.  Maybe went 280->130->180 or something like that.  

If the structure now is all up front payment, and not weekly/monthly, perhaps that's a move in the right direction.  It's still vastly more expensive than any other similar option out there.  

From looking thru the docs back in 2018, the people that did it were a splinter group off of a program called Harris Fast that wanted to turn it into a subscription model: https://www.hmrprogram.com/  It's possible HMR and SOTA are somehow related, but that wasn't made abundantly clear.  The programs look extremely similar to me though, except for the revenue model.
So did your aunt do Sota or a different but similar plan, or you are not sure?

So did your aunt do Sota or a different but similar plan, or you are not sure?
No 100% she went with SOTA.  The people that run/operate SOTA as best we could tell either were owned by or were part of that Harris group and split off to do their own thing, as best we could figure out.   That operation is super slippery.  I used to post on a forum called the UnTicket which is for fans of a radio station they advertise on in Dallas, I told her story there and they tried to get my contact info from the site to I suppose sue me for defamation or something.  I will spend the rest of my life #### talking them to anyone I can.  

No 100% she went with SOTA.  The people that run/operate SOTA as best we could tell either were owned by or were part of that Harris group and split off to do their own thing, as best we could figure out.   That operation is super slippery.  I used to post on a forum called the UnTicket which is for fans of a radio station they advertise on in Dallas, I told her story there and they tried to get my contact info from the site to I suppose sue me for defamation or something.  I will spend the rest of my life #### talking them to anyone I can.  
Well, hopefully Sota changed the way they operate when that splinter group left to do their own thing. I appreciate your input and will let you know how everything turns out. As of now, per my contract, I have purchased a set number of weeks on the program for a set price. There is nothing in there that says I am obligated to buy more weeks if I don't reach the goal weight.

Well, hopefully Sota changed the way they operate when that splinter group left to do their own thing. I appreciate your input and will let you know how everything turns out. As of now, per my contract, I have purchased a set number of weeks on the program for a set price. There is nothing in there that says I am obligated to buy more weeks if I don't reach the goal weight.
On paper, that sounds like an improvement.  It's possible they changed practices by force or otherwise.

I still greatly question the speed at which their program gets people down.  It seems very unhealthy to me.  I favor plans that target 0.5% weight loss per week of total weight.  That program is at least triple that as I gather.  

Finally figured out the secret...eating boring.

1340 cal, 15 g protein, 28 g fat, 107 g carbs.  Fiber was low at 14 g so it may take a while to crap out the cardboard I ate.

No weigh-in number today.  Scale either finally said uncle to my fat ### or I'm on the Sota program because it read 6.5 lbs. 

Finally figured out the secret...eating boring.

1340 cal, 15 g protein, 28 g fat, 107 g carbs.  Fiber was low at 14 g so it may take a while to crap out the cardboard I ate.

No weigh-in number today.  Scale either finally said uncle to my fat ### or I'm on the Sota program because it read 6.5 lbs. 
Raspberries are absolutely loaded with fiber for the calories.  Other berries aren't even close but do have other benefits. Add them to some Greek yogurt or skyr and you get a ton of fiber and protein in one shot and it tastes good. 

Thomas's light multi grain english muffins are only 100 calories and have 8g fiber and 4g protein, throw a couple eggs on it and some cheese and/or meat and you get your protein and some fiber for 240 to 350 calories. 

I'm all about broccoli cauliflower and carrots with some kind of sauce like a sesame shoyu or sweet chili.  Adds about 150 to 165 calories for a whole microwavable 4 cup bag which is filling and tastes good at least to me. Add a boring chicken breast or some plain shrimp and let the vegetables drive for a change. That bag costs like 3 bucks so I probably need to not do that but I love it. 

@bostonfred

Thought you would be interested in this.  It's definitely on the big protein side of the issue.

https://trainright.com/protein-why-athletes-struggle-to-get-right-amount/

Protein: Why Athletes Struggle to Get The Right Amount

Share This Article

By Chris Carmichael, inspired by Renee Eastman

This blog post was entirely inspired by CTS Coach Renee Eastman, who recently completed her National Academy of Sports Medicine Nutrition Coach certification. In social media posts and a series of emails, Renee reminded me of one of the biggest challenges we see athletes face when it comes to consuming enough protein. It’s not that they don’t know they need more protein than their sedentary counterparts; it’s that athletes have misconceptions about how much protein they’re actually getting from ‘high protein’ foods.

First, some basics on protein. I’m going to keep it brief for the sake of this article, but I encourage you to read this or this if you need a deeper dive into the role of protein for athletes. The recommended daily intake of protein is 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics recommends 1.2-2.0 gram/kg for athletes, depending on training focus. Generally, that breaks down to 1.2-1.6 for endurance athletes and 1.4-2.0 for strength/power athletes. Female athletes in intermittent-intensity sports, which generally includes cycling, running, and triathlon, have a higher protein requirement than men, at the higher end of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ 1.2-2.0 g/kg range (Wooding 2017). Aging athletes (50+ years old) benefit from increased daily protein intake (1.6-2.0 g/kg) and larger amounts of protein per feeding (40 grams/meal rather than 20 grams/meal) for muscle protein synthesis, recovery, and long-term training adaptations (Doering 2016). And rather than concentrating protein consumption in one or two large feedings each day, it is better to consume 20-30 grams at a time during feedings throughout the day.

Considering that most overlapping ranges for recommended protein intake across different athlete groups, I’m going to use 1.8 g/kg per day as the target amount for a theoretical 75-kilogram (165 pound) masters athlete. Provided that this athlete is meeting their total daily energy requirement (protein requirements increase even further during caloric restriction), the daily target for protein would be 135 grams.

This is where the practical considerations get tricky for some athletes. How do you combine protein sources to cumulatively consume 135 grams of protein? Many athletes are familiar with lists of protein-rich foods but tend to over- or underestimate the amount of protein per serving in those foods.

Coach Renee Eastman illustrated this point very well in an Instagram post I have quoted below.

“Eggs are good sources of protein, sure, but how many do you need to eat to get a decent serving (25 grams of protein)? That’s 4 eggs (290 calories).” Thankfully, the nutrition recommendations for eggs have moved away from restricting consumption to one-per-day to reduce cholesterol intake, but I find a lot of athletes have lingering hesitations about eating more eggs.

“Also, 25 grams of protein is about 1 cup (size of my fist, or about 3-4 ounces) of chicken breast (150 calories).” Meat, poultry, and fish have a high protein content by weight, meaning you can get a significant amount of protein from a relatively small portion. Protein from animal sources also has high bioavailability, meaning more of the protein in the food is absorbed into the body compared to protein in plant-based foods. While this is good news for athletes who eat meat, it does not mean vegetarians and vegans are at significant risk of protein deficiency. Athletes on plant-based diets can absolutely consume adequate protein to support performance training and competition.

“About one cup of 0% fat Greek yogurt or 2% fat cottage cheese has 25 grams (130 and 180 calories).” For athletes who consume dairy products, Greek yogurt and cottage cheese are good sources of protein, just be conscious of the amount of added sugar there can be in flavored versions.

“Beans have protein… about 25 g in this entire can (385 calories).” A lot of athletes rely on beans and legumes for a significant amount of their protein intake, but don’t realize how many beans – either in terms of portion size or the number of times you eat them per day – it takes to get the job done. Beans are high in fiber, so they are filling. For athletes trying to manage bodyweight, high fiber foods can be a good way to feel full sooner and reduce caloric intake from a meal or an entire day.

“And finally, the one I love to hear about is peanut butter. Yes, it has protein, about 25 grams in half a cup (7 tablespoons). I’d love to eat that much peanut butter   It would also be nearly half my calories for the day at 685 calories!” Now, it should be said that Renee is a very fit and strong athlete who is also small, so a total daily caloric intake of around 1400 calories is appropriate for her. One of the challenges smaller athletes face is that calories in energy-dense foods add up really quickly, so you have to be careful with portion sizes.

In practical terms, you’re not likely to rely on one protein source for an entire 25-gram serving. You might eat two eggs with breakfast and two hardboiled eggs as an afternoon snack. A few tablespoons of peanut butter can contribute to your daily intake without having to fulfill an entire 25-gram serving. And so on. But I think Renee’s comparison is a good way to get a better idea of how protein sources relate to each other; how much of these different sources is required to consume an equal amount of protein.

@BassNBrewthat wad a good read thanks.

Here's a sample meal plan for me that isn't boring at least for me. 

6am Coffee 224 empty but super enjoyable calories don't bother trying to convince me to change this during the pandemic I'll go back to iced coffee milk only when I am ready. 

9am Skyr with raspberries 175 calories, 15g protein, 12g fiber

11am breakfast sandwich 228 calories 22g protein 8g fiber - Thomas's light multi grain english muffin (100 calories 8g fiber 4g protein) one egg (70 cal 6g protein) one ounce lower sodium ham (23 calories, 3.8g protein), one cracker cut extra sharp cheddar (35 calories, 2.4g protein)

2pm southwest salad with chicken 330 calories 21g protein 6g fiber unfortunately the pre-made salads i was getting have a ton of sodium in the dressing so I'm going to have to find alternatives 

I'm at 723 good calories and 224 empty calories at this point and have 52g protein and 26g fiber so far. Dinner is usually going to be shrimp salmon chicken or some other kind of meat but a common one for me is a chicken breast, a bag of broccoli cauliflower and carrots and some kind of sauce for a little under 400 calories and about 50g protein. With no exercise calories burned I'm around 1350 for the day and could have a snack. 

But in an effort to both increase and spread out the protein, I'm adding a second skyr to that breakfast and a little high protein granola, or a scoop of protein powder and some strawberries and blueberries and throwing the whole thing in the blender for a shake. I'm adding a second egg to that egg sandwich. And at your recommendation I'm cutting the chicken breast in half and having some right now and some later. That now gets me to about 140g protein and over 30g fiber. 

Those changes put me around 1650 calories for the day, but I'm counting exercise calories and you aren't so I'm fine going over total calories if my net are under 1500. You're trying to stay around 1400 without eating back your exercise calories... but you can also cut out that sugary crap I drink in the morning and get this exact plan down to 1400. 

I know you said the trick is "eating boring" but i like all this stuff. And I love shrimp and they're even better than chicken for protein per calorie. So getting my fiber and protein while staying under calories is definitely doable... the question I still have is whether it's realistic to do this while also cutting weight and the answer appears to be that I'm performing human experiments on myself. 

Hit 225 at one point

Start 223 somewhere for this...

• 12/28 221.6
  • 12/29 220.4
  • 12/30 219.8
  • 1/1 218.6
  • 1/4 220.2
  • 1/5 219.6
  • 1/6 218.4
  • 1/7 218.0
  • 1/9 218.0
  • 1/15 216.8
  • 1/21 215.4
  • 1/29 214.8
  • 2/4  213.6
I'll feel a lot better when i get that 209 intermediate goal :)
Is it breaking 210 or a bmi thing?  

this intermittent fasting app i am working with seems to be working great. i got the myfitness app too which worked well for me before, and combining both seems to be a pretty solid way to lose weight. Still working from home has cut out most of the exercise i hope to be on once this pandemic loosens, but still hitting goals well:

SW-255

1.75 months later - 239.

I am positive i will be hitting some plateaus at some point where i can go 2-3 weeks without losing a pound, but if i eat healthy for the week i can lose like up to 4-5 pounds in that week. my weight loss is more gradual because the best thing about this intermittent fasting is that it doesn't have choke hold on what you can actually eat. so i don't feel constrained with no more pizza, etc. And best part of it is that when i do eat pizza i can no longer wolf down a whole large pizza by myself, but actually can eat close to like a normal person. 

Best thing about this is that i don't feel like it is a diet fad, and feels more like something i can do long-term that isn't impacting me a ton. i think once i hit my target goal (190, which when i was in college and got my body fat measured i was 185 and 5% body fat). i can ease off it a bit, and if i see i get closer to 200 i can do a few intermittent fastings in a week or 2 to slow it back down. 

Right now i am trying to figure out what is the best way to do these. I do 16:8 with an 18:6 or 20:4 once/twice a week. i hear a bunch about the 2-3 day fast, and wondering if i want to try that at some point

Is it breaking 210 or a bmi thing?  
breaking 210.   Even when I get to my goal weight - I'll still be over weight.

WHen I graduated college - I was in extremely great shape and was considered overweight by bmi calculations :)

breaking 210.   Even when I get to my goal weight - I'll still be over weight.

WHen I graduated college - I was in extremely great shape and was considered overweight by bmi calculations :)
I'm 5'10" and 208.8 is my magic number for going from obese bmi to overweight for the first time in so long.  Coming down from 284.6 that seemed impossible at one point and believe me every time I've gone down that second digit has been a good day. I touched 219.8 at the end of October and now I'm back to low 220s, so my short term goal is just breaking new ground.  But then 208.8 (Not obese anymore!), 199.anythjng (Onederland), 184.6 (100 down), and maybe 173.8 (normal bmi) will be my big moments. 

Raspberries are absolutely loaded with fiber for the calories.  Other berries aren't even close but do have other benefits. Add them to some Greek yogurt or skyr and you get a ton of fiber and protein in one shot and it tastes good. 

Thomas's light multi grain english muffins are only 100 calories and have 8g fiber and 4g protein, throw a couple eggs on it and some cheese and/or meat and you get your protein and some fiber for 240 to 350 calories. 

I'm all about broccoli cauliflower and carrots with some kind of sauce like a sesame shoyu or sweet chili.  Adds about 150 to 165 calories for a whole microwavable 4 cup bag which is filling and tastes good at least to me. Add a boring chicken breast or some plain shrimp and let the vegetables drive for a change. That bag costs like 3 bucks so I probably need to not do that but I love it. 
Another good option for people out there are Mission brand carb balance tortillas. I'm a huge fan of breakfast burritos and they come in at 70 calories 19 carbs, 15 fiber, and 5 protein a pop. Surprised me on the fiber and they aren't terrible, not the best, but compared to normal tortillas its a steal on the macros.

Also I have forgotten to mention this for a while and remember seeing the low sodium talk, but a favorite low sodium snack is Jumbo brand roasted no salt sunflower seeds . They are delicious, hit my snack needs, and about 1/3 a bag is 160 calories, 4 carb, 1.5 fiber, <1 sugar, 5 sodium, and 7 protein. I can't get enough of them. ****former baseball player

this intermittent fasting app i am working with seems to be working great. i got the myfitness app too which worked well for me before, and combining both seems to be a pretty solid way to lose weight. Still working from home has cut out most of the exercise i hope to be on once this pandemic loosens, but still hitting goals well:

SW-255

1.75 months later - 239.

I am positive i will be hitting some plateaus at some point where i can go 2-3 weeks without losing a pound, but if i eat healthy for the week i can lose like up to 4-5 pounds in that week. my weight loss is more gradual because the best thing about this intermittent fasting is that it doesn't have choke hold on what you can actually eat. so i don't feel constrained with no more pizza, etc. And best part of it is that when i do eat pizza i can no longer wolf down a whole large pizza by myself, but actually can eat close to like a normal person. 

Best thing about this is that i don't feel like it is a diet fad, and feels more like something i can do long-term that isn't impacting me a ton. i think once i hit my target goal (190, which when i was in college and got my body fat measured i was 185 and 5% body fat). i can ease off it a bit, and if i see i get closer to 200 i can do a few intermittent fastings in a week or 2 to slow it back down. 

Right now i am trying to figure out what is the best way to do these. I do 16:8 with an 18:6 or 20:4 once/twice a week. i hear a bunch about the 2-3 day fast, and wondering if i want to try that at some point
What app are you using? Just wondering. I haven't looked into IF that much, does morning coffee count against the fast?

Another good option for people out there are Mission brand carb balance tortillas. I'm a huge fan of breakfast burritos and they come in at 70 calories 19 carbs, 15 fiber, and 5 protein a pop. Surprised me on the fiber and they aren't terrible, not the best, but compared to normal tortillas its a steal on the macros.
Yes love these

Eggs black beans a little salsa or fresh halved cherry tomatoes and avocado/guacamole with a pinch of shredded cheese on one of these... delicious and all kinds of healthy 

Those of you who are also on the low sodium kick but still enjoy taste, "Mrs. Dash seasoning blends variety pack" seems to be a good option.  I'm about to pull the trigger and will update after I've tried them out.  

Those of you who are also on the low sodium kick but still enjoy taste, "Mrs. Dash seasoning blends variety pack" seems to be a good option.  I'm about to pull the trigger and will update after I've tried them out.  
I have the original Ms. Dash at home. So far, only used it on eggs and greens. I like it, finding it to have a strong citrus note -- there are many spices present, but the citrus comes through strongest for me.

I will say that I don't really find Ms. Dash -- or any other spice combo I've tried -- to be a replacement for salt. That's just not what they do tastewise. Not an issue ... just can't go in expecting something saltish.

What I have been liking is to get umami-rich foods (like mushrooms, peas, onions) into my meals ... that somehow scratches the salt itch better than any spice.

One thing I've been finding conflicting information about is whether or not monosodium glutamate (MSG) is an especial problem for people on low-sodium diets due to hypertension. Most of the time, I read "MSG has sodium in it -- avoid!" There does, however, seem to be a minority opinion out there that MSG doesn't do the same things to the body that salt does :shrug: That MSG's bioavailability is less than salt's somehow.

Yes love these

Eggs black beans a little salsa or fresh halved cherry tomatoes and avocado/guacamole with a pinch of shredded cheese on one of these... delicious and all kinds of healthy 
That sounds great.  I'd throw in some chicken and jalapeños for more protein and kick.  

I have the original Ms. Dash at home. So far, only used it on eggs and greens. I like it, finding it to have a strong citrus note -- there are many spices present, but the citrus comes through strongest for me.

I will say that I don't really find Ms. Dash -- or any other spice combo I've tried -- to be a replacement for salt. That's just not what they do tastewise. Not an issue ... just can't go in expecting something saltish.
Thanks - I may dip my toes in and try the Southwest Chipotle flavor on my eggs.  May also try sprinkling it on my shrimp. 

I've noticed that I haven't really missed the taste of salt.  I made a turkey burger (using lean ground turkey) yesterday with simply italian seasoning, paprika and provolone cheese and it was awesome.  I use the same seasoning on my salmon (sans the cheese) and it tastes great.  

My understanding is that black coffee or a little cream does not but my sugar bomb would. 
Don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners, or avoiding for other reasons?

I grew up with a mom in TOPS and thus Sweet & Low was always in the house. It ain't great by itself, but combined with either a smidge of sugar or some Splenda ... the saccharin aftertaste goes away for me and it's 90% of the way tasting like pure sugar. But I have learned that sugar substitutes taste different to different people.

I have also learned that people who hate sugar substitutes can sometimes be surprised by the way combos taste (e.g. saccharine + sucralose, saccharine + aspartame, saccharine + sugar, etc.).

I'm 5'10" and 208.8 is my magic number for going from obese bmi to overweight for the first time in so long.  Coming down from 284.6 that seemed impossible at one point and believe me every time I've gone down that second digit has been a good day. I touched 219.8 at the end of October and now I'm back to low 220s, so my short term goal is just breaking new ground.  But then 208.8 (Not obese anymore!), 199.anythjng (Onederland), 184.6 (100 down), and maybe 173.8 (normal bmi) will be my big moments. 
Luckily I never got that heavy. 225 was my highest ever and that's when I decided enough. I'm 5'9".  I think 203 gets me back overweight.  But like I said I was 185 with like 10% body fat when I graduated 25 years ago...oof.... so I won't look the same when I get there but I don't care if Im considered "overweight"

My wawa just started serving burrito bowls not too long ago.

Rice beans salsa some chicken and lettuce 

And it's 400 calories. I don't get any sauces. Makes life easier when my kid wants to grab lunch there

I grew up with a mom in TOPS and thus Sweet & Low was always in the house. It ain't great by itself, but combined with either a smidge of sugar or some Splenda ... the saccharin aftertaste goes away for me and it's 90% of the way tasting like pure sugar. But I have learned that sugar substitutes taste different to different people.

I have also learned that people who hate sugar substitutes can sometimes be surprised by the way combos taste (e.g. saccharine + sucralose, saccharine + aspartame, saccharine + sugar, etc.).
I love pepsi zero. Usually hate artificial sweeteners.  I'll just go sugar if I need something sweet.  But I'll just use a hazelnut cream ( that has some sugar)

Thanks - I may dip my toes in and try the Southwest Chipotle flavor on my eggs.  May also try sprinkling it on my shrimp

I've noticed that I haven't really missed the taste of salt.  I made a turkey burger (using lean ground turkey) yesterday with simply italian seasoning, paprika and provolone cheese and it was awesome.  I use the same seasoning on my salmon (sans the cheese) and it tastes great.  
I miss salt on some things, but the items in red are great umami bases (to no one's surprise). Can't really do cheese yet ... once the blood pressure is brought down, cheese can maybe be a twice-a-week thing. That said -- I found out that for some reason, white** Italian cheeses (provolone, ricotta, mozzarella, etc.) are generally lower in sodium than yellow** cheeses from other areas (cheddar, gouda, edam, etc.). Swiss is also lower sodium. Still, these "lower sodium" cheeses can't be staples on the strictest form of the DASH diet.

** it's not always down to the color of the cheese, though. Blue cheese and feta are among the worst for the sodium-conscious.

Luckily I never got that heavy. 225 was my highest ever and that's when I decided enough. I'm 5'9".  I think 203 gets me back overweight.  But like I said I was 185 with like 10% body fat when I graduated 25 years ago...oof.... so I won't look the same when I get there but I don't care if Im considered "overweight"
It's not luck you stopped before I did. I have excuses but they're all bull####. I should have stopped earlier and I'm paying the price now but I'm paying it and that's the point. A lot of people talking about maintenance and the same thing applies you just need to decide at what point you decide enough like you said. 

I used to go to dunkin donuts every morning for coffee since I was a kid. I switched to iced coffee, milk only and was getting used to it.  Then someone ate a ####### bat and I have to make k cups. It's bull#### and I'm not going to drink ####ty coffee because half the country won't stay home because they think this is a hoax.  I wake up and I drink my sugary coffee and then I'm a ####### rock star the rest of the day so I'm not changing it. My daily sugar intake is under 40g so I'm not really concerned. 

Stay the #### away from my coffee Doug 

what I mean is good question i don't know just never really found the right sweetener i guess but hey to each their own!

Thanks - I may dip my toes in and try the Southwest Chipotle flavor on my eggs.  May also try sprinkling it on my shrimp. 

Nice! People usually use or generally have too much salt from premade foods. It is great at enhancing flavor, its just many people use it as the flavor, which becomes a sodium bomb.

Users who are viewing this thread