What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

January 6th - what will happen? (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
moleculo said:
Does that make it ok?

I mean, if you are trying to argue that it's OK for people to break laws because it's easy to do so, go for it.  But don't try to tell me you support law and order.
Of course.....not enough law enforcement there to prevent people from acting on their instincts.  It's the new bar

You don't have to wait for someone to use deadly force to defend yourself.  None of those are requirements for a reasonable person to be in fear of being killed or severely harmed.
They are factors to whether it is reasonable.   You falsely stated that "You do not start chasing someone down who is a wielding a gun unless you intend to kill them. "  Then, since that was shown to be clearly wrong, you switched to saying Rosenbaum was unstable.   You were then told that doesn't matter either.   Now you're trying to create a new standard for self-defense.  

All of the classic generalizations, making stuff up, backpedaling and victimization on full display.

You don't know what you're talking about.  All you know is that you want to defend this murderer.

No. 

In my experience, prosecutions are rarely politically driven. Further, the mechanism that our criminal justice system provides in close situations (e.g. Zimmerman) is a trial before a person's peers with a very high burden of proof. Using the Zimmerman case as an example, I analyzed (and posted on here) that I believed he had a strong defense. However, that thought is not mutually exclusive to the thought that I also believed the state had more than probable cause to bring the charge and it was not unethical to prosecutor. 

Similarly, here with Rittenhouse we have the very public shootings (with significant portions caught on video) of multiple people and two ended up dead. It would have likely been unethical of the state not to at least bring the facts before a grand jury to determine whether probable cause existed to charge. Further, it would then likely be unethical to dismiss the obtained indictment and its corresponding counts. 
There was legitimate reasons why the original investigators and DA allowed Zimmerman to walk.  They lacked probable cause.  It escalated into politics with Obama making statements and the sending a team of Holder and the Justice Department to investigate.  Charges were only brought after Benjamin Crump hoisted a phoney witness up to create some shaky grounds for probable cause.  So under all the pressure from the public, the white house and fraudulent evidence, charges were finally made.  That is very political IMHO. 

They are factors to whether it is reasonable.   You falsely stated that "You do not start chasing someone down who is a wielding a gun unless you intend to kill them. "  Then, since that was shown to be clearly wrong, you switched to saying Rosenbaum was unstable.   You were then told that doesn't matter either.   Now you're trying to create a new standard for self-defense.  

All of the classic generalizations, making stuff up, backpedaling and victimization on full display.

You don't know what you're talking about.  All you know is that you want to defend this murderer.
That was not shown to be wrong.  You chase someone down who is armed, it is suicidal and the intent is almost certainly deadly. 

You accuse me of making stuff up.  This is total fiction.  Rittenhouse did not point his gun at anyone.  Rosenbaum had been triggered all day screaming at numerous people to 'shot me n---a'.  Rittenhouse was trying to help people offering first aid, your boy Rosenbaum on the other hand had been verbally assaultive and aggressive towards numerous people which Rittenhouse being the latest.  
Serious question, because I haven't watched all the videos - how do you know this? What set off Rosenbaum to start running at Rittenhouse?

I find it unlikely that Rittenhouse was quietly administering first aid to someone lying on the ground and Rosenbaum randomly picked him out to go after.

You can legally use deadly force even if it is not homicidal. You just have to have a reasonable fear of being severely harmed.  
And had he killed Rittenhouse after chasing him down, I don't think you'd see people in here claim that it was a reasonable use of force.  

There was legitimate reasons why the original investigators and DA allowed Zimmerman to walk.  They lacked probable cause.  It escalated into politics with Obama making statements and the sending a team of Holder and the Justice Department to investigate.  Charges were only brought after Benjamin Crump hoisted a phoney witness up to create some shaky grounds for probable cause.  So under all the pressure from the public, the white house and fraudulent evidence, charges were finally made.  That is very political IMHO. 
1. I didn't say prosecutions are never political - I stated it is rare. 

2. I'll remain neutral on your allegation that the state lacked probable cause to charge Zimmerman. Nonetheless, my memory is that the facts were learned over time (I recall the 911 tapes coming out in spurts, witnesses coming forward after time, etc.). That situation was also very challenging and complicated given that only one side of the story was immediately available (since Martin was dead) and it really was a very close call of a situation for self-defense from a legal perspective. As such, I don't agree that the eventual decision to charge was "very political." 

3. I don't know what "fraudulent evidence" you're referring to. 

That was not shown to be wrong.  You chase someone down who is armed, it is suicidal and the intent is almost certainly deadly. 
Are you trying to say that a person's suicidal thoughts (assuming arguendo that's what the victim had here) amounts to the same as a reasonable display of an imminent threat of deadly force?

1. I didn't say prosecutions are never political - I stated it is rare. 

2. I'll remain neutral on your allegation that the state lacked probable cause to charge Zimmerman. Nonetheless, my memory is that the facts were learned over time (I recall the 911 tapes coming out in spurts, witnesses coming forward after time, etc.). That situation was also very challenging and complicated given that only one side of the story was immediately available (since Martin was dead) and it really was a very close call of a situation for self-defense from a legal perspective. As such, I don't agree that the eventual decision to charge was "very political." 

3. I don't know what "fraudulent evidence" you're referring to. 
On number 3, there is a case going through the Florida courts right now which Zimmerman is suing Crump and the DA for putting up a false witness.  That obese inintelligible first witness 'Diamond' was not Treyvon's girlfriend who was on the phone, it was her step-sister.  The real one did not want to testify, so Crump convinced the sister to stand in her place.  Someone pieced together a documentary in painstaking details with phone records and interviews of classmates and proved it rather conclusively.  The DA in their response is claiming ignorance and pointing fingers.   No one is denying the facts of the claim.  Of course the media is ignoring the case and says it has no merit,  but the case is really opening a can of worms.  

Are you trying to say that a person's suicidal thoughts (assuming arguendo that's what the victim had here) amounts to the same as a reasonable display of an imminent threat of deadly force?
Even though the video showed both murder victims trying to disarm the killer, jon wants to infer from the fact that they were trying to take his gun that they must have wanted to kill him.  Since all of his facts and arguments get proven wrong, he's gone from "it's delusional to suggest that it was intentional homicide" to "the left loves the victim"   to  "I can read the minds of the victims and determine their intent."

I am saying an angry mentally unstable person with little regard for life is very dangerous and being in fear of them doing serious harm is more than reasonable. 

I am saying an angry mentally unstable person with little regard for life is very dangerous and being in fear of them doing serious harm is more than reasonable. 
Rittenhouse was an angry mentally unstable person with little regard for life and is very dangerous.   So the victims trying to disarm him before he murdered people is more than reasonable. 

Even though the video showed both murder victims trying to disarm the killer, jon wants to infer from the fact that they were trying to take his gun that they must have wanted to kill him.  Since all of his facts and arguments get proven wrong, he's gone from "it's delusional to suggest that it was intentional homicide" to "the left loves the victim"   to  "I can read the minds of the victims and determine their intent."
What possible justification does the first guy have in chasing him down simple to disarm him.  You have nothing.  I have some sympathy for guy number two, but he was part of a mob which included an armed gentleman who had his finger on the trigger and most definitely was going to shoot.   Rittenhouse had reasonable fear. 

That sounds like a very dangerous precedent.  I've been within arms reach of quite a few mentally unstable people people yelling all sorts of stuff.  Typically, I move away quickly.  I do not engage in lethal self defense.

Rittenhouse was an angry mentally unstable person with little regard for life and is very dangerous.   So the victims trying to disarm him before he murdered people is more than reasonable. 
Nonsense.  Nothing that Rittenhouse did up to the point of Rosenbaum chasing him down indicated any of the BS you spew 

I don't know who to go with here - the well thought out reasoned lawyer who meticulously typed out a response or the other guy

This isn't exactly the self-defense standard. 

It seems he's gone even a step farther though: that it's reasonable - to the extent that one can use deadly force - to presume that somebody who is recklessly going after another gun must be suicidal and is therefore presents the threat of deadly force (albeit ignoring whether one has a duty to flee, whether the threat is imminent, etc.). 

It seems he's gone even a step farther though: that it's reasonable - to the extent that one can use deadly force - to presume that somebody who is recklessly going after another gun must be suicidal and is therefore presents the threat of deadly force (albeit ignoring whether one has a duty to flee, whether the threat is imminent, etc.). 
He did flee in both cases.  First he was cornered and the second he fell to the ground where he was assaulted by two people before firing, one kicked him the other hit him in the head with a skateboard.  

He did flee in both cases.  First he was cornered and the second he fell to the ground where he was assaulted by two people before firing, one kicked him the other hit him in the head with a skateboard.  
I honestly don't doubt that Rittenhouse feared for his life. Isn't the more important question about his actions that led up to it? 

Jon, I concede that I need to re-watch the videos again and am going off my memory of what i watched months ago so it's probably unfair for me to try to argue the actual facts here. 

I respectfully disagree though with your assertions that the prosecution is "very political," that there isn't probable cause, and that Rittenhouse shouldn't consider a plea to anything greater than manslaughter. 

This isn't exactly the self-defense standard. 
It is a contributing elements to it.  You nitpick what I say, but Rover the lawyer is not even relying on required elements of what justifies self-defense.  In his expertise it seems you can only use self-defense when your opponent uses deadly force.  

I honestly don't doubt that Rittenhouse feared for his life. Isn't the more important question about his actions that led up to it? 
What in your view was that?  He was verbally assaulted by some psychopath and chased down when he tried to flee.  You may not agree with what Rittenhouse was doing, but Rosenbaum aggressively instigated the conflict.  

Jon, I concede that I need to re-watch the videos again and am going off my memory of what i watched months ago so it's probably unfair for me to try to argue the actual facts here. 

I respectfully disagree though with your assertions that the prosecution is "very political," that there isn't probable cause, and that Rittenhouse shouldn't consider a plea to anything greater than manslaughter. 
That is a reasonable disagreement.  I don't understand how one can be accused of 1st degree murder which required intent when they were not the aggressor.  

That is a reasonable disagreement.  I don't understand how one can be accused of 1st degree murder which required intent when they were not the aggressor.  
It only takes a moment to develop the requisite mens rea (intentional) associated with first degree murder under most definitions. 

interesting stuff Woz (Zow), thanks.  Does it matter that Rittenhouse was not local to Kenosha, WI?  Or, that it technically is illegal for a 17 yr old to open carry?

I am fine with the argument for self defense.  What I'm not fine with is him acting as a vigilante - a kid who isn't old enough to vote, buy a pack of cigarettes or join the Army is roaming the streets to LARP as a law enforcement officer.  He was not there to defend his home or his families business.  And again, he is just a kid and like all other teenagers, he doesn't have impulse control of an adult.

interesting stuff Woz (Zow), thanks.  Does it matter that Rittenhouse was not local to Kenosha, WI?  Or, that it technically is illegal for a 17 yr old to open carry?

I am fine with the argument for self defense.  What I'm not fine with is him acting as a vigilante - a kid who isn't old enough to vote, buy a pack of cigarettes or join the Army is roaming the streets to LARP as a law enforcement officer.  He was not there to defend his home or his families business.  And again, he is just a kid and like all other teenagers, he doesn't have impulse control of an adult.
But then you are fine with the kid being tried as an adult?  Crossing the state line has zero bearing on anything.  He was breaking the law by carrying the weapon because the only exception is for hunting, which obviously he wasn't.  Otherwise the gun was legal. But Rittenhouse being underage and carrying does not have any bearing on the self-defense.  

Last edited by a moderator:
But then you are fine with the kid being tried as an adult?  Crossing the state line has zero bearing on anything.  He was breaking the law by carrying the weapon because the only exception is for hunting, which obviously he wasn't.  Otherwise the gun was legal. But Rittenhouse being underage and carrying does not have any bearing on the self-defense.  
Nope.  He shouldn't be charged as an adult.  I'm generally against minors being charged as adults in all cases.

I think illegal possession of a gun should have something to do with the case when two people are dead.  It has to be relevant.

1. Probably isn't terribly relevant that he isn't native. That fact would likely have to be tied in to some other circumstantial evidence re: his motive. I don't think it's a fact that should be precluded, I just don't think it carries much weight. 

2. Your second question is very likely jurisdiction specific. I don't know Wisconsin law so maybe there's some felony murder component (although I assume if that was an option it'd be charged that way). Assuming not, if I were his defense attorney I would actually move to sever that count (and deal with it separately in another case and very likely look to plead it out) and then move to preclude that allegation from being mentioned in the murder trial pursuant to a rule that says if a piece of evidence has little evidentiary (meaning its arguably relevant but not case dispositive or significantly relevant) value it should be precluded if its value it substantially outweighed by the prejudice to the defendant. 

The bold is probably accurate. 

The bold is probably accurate. 
One thing different from Florida to Wisconsin is the burden of proof for a self-defense claim. In Florida the defendant must prove self-defense by preponderance of evidence, while in Wiscinsin the state must establish by beyond reasonable doubt it was not self-defense.  I don't believe the prosecution can do that.  There would have to be an overwhelmingly sympathetic jury to the victims to have a chance.  

One thing different from Florida to Wisconsin is the burden of proof for a self-defense claim. In Florida the defendant must prove self-defense by preponderance of evidence, while in Wiscinsin the state must establish by beyond reasonable doubt it was not self-defense.  I don't believe the prosecution can do that.  There would have to be an overwhelmingly sympathetic jury to the victims to have a chance.  
Are you sure that the defendant doesn't first have to make a prima facie showing by a preponderance then it flips back to the state to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that it wasn't self-defense?

I'm genuinely asking here because I don't know Wisconsin law and didn't look it up but my question describes the way it works in my jurisdiction and it wouldn't surprise me if it worked the same way in many others. 

Are you sure that the defendant doesn't first have to make a prima facie showing by a preponderance then it flips back to the state to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that it wasn't self-defense?

I'm genuinely asking here because I don't know Wisconsin law and didn't look it up but my question describes the way it works in my jurisdiction and it wouldn't surprise me if it worked the same way in many others. 
Can't say for certain.  Just saw a couple examples of jury instructions and it placed that burden on the state.  

https://lawofselfdefense.com/jury-instruction/wi-wjic-800-privilege-self-defense-force-less-than-that-likely-to-cause-death-or-great-bodily-harm/

State’s Burden of Proof

The State must prove by evidence which satisfies you beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant did not act lawfully in self-defense.
That jury instruction specifically says it is only for instances of self defense that do no involve deadly force, so it doesn’t apply.
The self defense statue also removes presumptions of self-defense where the person claiming self defense is committing a crime.  Since he’s been charged with two other crimes, he may not get the presumption.

That’s huge. 

Edit: Spoke too soon?
Here is another one. Wisconsin law seems very friendly concerning the presumption of innocence in self-defense cases. 

Reasonable Hypothesis

If you can reconcile the evidence upon any reasonable hypothesis consistent with the defendant’s innocence, you should do so and return a verdict of not guilty.

Here is another one. Wisconsin law seems very friendly concerning the presumption of innocence in self-defense cases. 

Reasonable Hypothesis

If you can reconcile the evidence upon any reasonable hypothesis consistent with the defendant’s innocence, you should do so and return a verdict of not guilty.
Those are pretty typical/standard jury instructions explaining those legal concepts. They’re likely given in most criminal trials. 

That jury instruction specifically says it is only for instances of self defense that do no involve deadly force, so it doesn’t apply.
The self defense statue also removes presumptions of self-defense where the person claiming self defense is committing a crime.  Since he’s been charged with two other crimes, he may not get the presumption.
That is not what it says.  It talks about if the defendant does something illegal which provokes an attack, the defendant can not use deadly force.  But then that even goes on to make the exception if once again the defendant believes he is in imminent danger.  You would have to believe that Rittenhouse was using his underage status to provoke Rosenbaum, but how would Rosenbaum even know his underage status.  And even then if Rittenhouse believed he was in imminent danger he could still claim self-defense. 

That is not what it says.  It talks about if the defendant does something illegal which provokes an attack, the defendant can not use deadly force.  But then that even goes on to make the exception if once again the defendant believes he is in imminent danger.  You would have to believe that Rittenhouse was using his underage status to provoke Rosenbaum, but how would Rosenbaum even know his underage status.  And even then if Rittenhouse believed he was in imminent danger he could still claim self-defense. 
Which part?  The part in all capital letters that says the jury instruction you posted doesn’t apply?

Or the statute that specifically says the statute does not apply if  the claimed self defense is in the course of committing a crime?   

It’s tough to keep up when nearly everything you post is wrong.

Which part?  The part in all capital letters that says the jury instruction you posted doesn’t apply?

Or the statute that specifically says the statute does not apply if  the claimed self defense is in the course of committing a crime?   

It’s tough to keep up when nearly everything you post is wrong.
You were correct about the jury instruction applies to.  You are full of crap in your interpretation of what the statue says and how it applies to this case. 

You were correct about the jury instruction applies to.  You are full of crap in your interpretation of what the statue says and how it applies to this case. 
What’s your experience with applying statutes in jury trials?  Got some case law to support your completely unsupported opinion?  You literally just make things up, get proven wrong and move on to making up something else.  It’s weird how desperate you are to be on the side of a murderer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread