What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

January 6th - what will happen? (9 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article of Impeachment

ARTICLE I: INCITEMENT OF INSURRECTION
Sorry for length, but so incredibly stunning:

On January 6, 2021, pursuant to the Twelfth 19 Amendment of the United States Constitution, the Vice President of the United States, the House of Representatives, and the Senate met at the United States Capitol for a Joint Session of Congress to count the votes of the Electoral College. Shortly before the Joint Session commenced, President Trump addressed a crowd of his political supporters nearby. There, he reiterated false claims that ‘‘we won this election, and we won it by a landslide’’. 

He also willfully made statements that encouraged—and foreseeably resulted in—imminent lawless action at the Capitol. Incited by President Trump, a mob unlawfully breached the Capitol, injured law enforcement personnel, menaced Members of Congress and the Vice President, interfered with the Joint Session’s solemn constitutional duty to certify the election results, and engaged in violent, deadly, destructive, and seditious acts.

President Trump’s conduct on January 6, 2021 was consistent with his prior efforts to subvert and obstruct the certification of the results of the 2020 presidential election. Those prior efforts include, but are not limited to, a phone call on January 2, 2021, in which President Trump urged Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger to ‘‘find’’ enough votes to overturn the Georgia presidential election results and threatened Mr. Raffensperger if he failed to do so. 

In all of this, President Trump gravely endangered the security of the United States and its institutions of government. He threatened the integrity of the democratic system, interfered with the peaceful transition of power, and imperiled a coordinate branch of government. He thereby betrayed his trust as President, to the manifest injury of the people of the United States.

I think that touches on something that I think....Trump set forth a chain of events that led to dozens of the most powerful people on the planet hide and cower.  That ANY of them (even Gaetz, Cruz,Hawley and any of his other cronies) are even REMOTELY showing him support shows a level of subservience nd cowardice that's on par with Reek from Game of Thrones......
I think it's more opportunism than subservience - each one thinks they'll be able to capture Trump's constituency and bend it to their will. Scummy and reprehensible in a slightly different way.

I think it's more opportunism than subservience - each one thinks they'll be able to capture Trump's constituency and bend it to their will. Scummy and reprehensible in a slightly different way.
I get that to a point.....yet, much like when Ted Cruz ignored Trumps attacks against his wife and bent the knee to the man, I'm astonished at how much the desire for power trumps self respect.  This guy pointed a mob in your direction with an endorsement for the mob to attack and some of these people bend over and say "Thank You Sir, may I have another....."

I get that to a point.....yet, much like when Ted Cruz ignored Trumps attacks against his wife and bent the knee to the man, I'm astonished at how much the desire for power trumps self respect.  This guy pointed a mob in your direction with an endorsement for the mob to attack and some of these people bend over and say "Thank You Sir, may I have another....."
As long as they think they can personally benefit from behaving that way, they will. They have no other principles. And it's been this way for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
It wax Miles Taylor(?) who I think was chief of staff for the Deputy Director of Homeland Security?
At the time he was just an adviser.

From october article.

Mr Taylor was an adviser in the Department of Homeland Security at the time his op-ed was published in the Times. He was later promoted to chief of staff to Ms Nielsen and remained in that job from February to November of last year.

Obviously dont feel bad for Trump or his older kids. They're garbage human beings.

But the youngest son.....poor kid's life is gonna be hell going forward. I honestly think he and his mom are going to have to leave the country (once she divorces him, which you know is going to happen).  
That was highly likely given who his dad is. How do you think Donald ended up this way?

Its TMZ, so :shrug:  but if anyone has a trusted source in law enforcement, it would be TMZ:

The FBI has reasons to believe the mob of Trump supporters who stormed the Capitol not only premeditated the assault, but might have been aided by police and staffers in the building ... TMZ has learned.

High ranking sources inside the Capitol Police Dept. tell TMZ the FBI is looking at several facts that stink of an inside job. For starters, the Bureau is puzzled by the ease with which the mob found its way to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's office.

It's not off any main hallway or next to other Congressional offices ... in fact, the path to get to the entrance is maze-like and not open to the public like other parts of the Capitol. The rioters who took it over -- vandalizing it and stealing a laptop -- got there within 10 minutes of entering the Capitol.

That was highly likely given who his dad is. How do you think Donald ended up this way?

Yeah.....I get that. The odds of him growing up normal and well adjusted were pretty low given his situation.

But now....even if he turns out to be a decent human being,  there's gonna be some lunatic around every corner looking to get in his face. 

So yeah, even if Trump were to lose SS protection (I can't imagine its going to happen. I think its too late to impeach. I think we're just playing out the string here) I would hope that the government would at least provide him with a SS detail. Its not gonna make his life much better but at least he wont be at risk for constant attacks.

He also willfully made statements that encouraged—and foreseeably resulted in—imminent lawless action at the Capitol
Which exact words did Trump use that best makes the case that this is true?

I assume his Presidency is only technically still in existence. I don't think he will be allowed to actually do any governing (he hardly was the last 2 months anyway). I will say he is the 1st President who went out and did everything everyone said he would do. 
Build about 50 feet of rickety fence while pocketing huge bags of money going to his resorts and charging us for it?

Oh No, twitter has banned Trump, what ever will we do.  
On one hand, I'm very glad that his misinformation on Twitter will no longer drive the daily discourse in this country. On the other hand, there is definitely a slope out there that has been seeing a least a drizzle.  Politicization and regulation of social media networks is going to be a complete mess.

On one hand, I'm very glad that his misinformation on Twitter will no longer drive the daily discourse in this country. On the other hand, there is definitely a slope out there that has been seeing a least a drizzle.  Politicization and regulation of social media networks is going to be a complete mess.
Meh.  The wild, wild, West was untamed, until it wasn't.

Social Media is the new Wild West, and there is a new sherif in town.

So he's at camp David with? Meli this weekend not getting laid without twitter and no golf and not charging us money for the privilege. 

Have a nice weekend Don 

Social Media is the new Wild West, and there is a new sherif in town.
A new sheriff in Deadwood may be able to rein in Al Swearengen, but he'll never do it to George Hearst.  These social media companies are very large and will undoubtedly strongly influence any attempted regulation. At the same time, we are less than 6 months removed from Trump trying to unilaterally shut down an unfriendly social media network (Tiktok).

I'm not making alternative proposal, just think this is a mess that is going to get more messy.  Hopefully there is a way to reverse the momentum of the current moment. The sooner Trump's influence wains, the better.

Apple or Google?

I think Apple gave them 24 hours to comply with something they have no way of complying with, while Google "supposedly" cut them off now.
Ahhh. Apple. His post made it sound like Apple has already removed it. 

Skimming through the 75 minute (!) transcript, it seems like a dicey argument (that he incited the crowd to violence).  He says they'll be walking down Penn Ave. and "going to the Capitol."  But then he makes an arguably innocuous statement of "give them the kind of pride and boldness that they need."  His sin seems to be more one of omission (not immediately responding or sending in the National Guard) than one of commission.  

This is the final stretch:

"So we’re going to, we’re going to walk down Pennsylvania Avenue, I love Pennsylvania Avenue, and we’re going to the Capitol and we’re going to try and give… The Democrats are hopeless. They’re never voting for anything, not even one vote. But we’re going to try and give our Republicans, the weak ones, because the strong ones don’t need any of our help, we’re going to try and give them the kind of pride and boldness that they need to take back our country.
So let’s walk down Pennsylvania Avenue. I want to thank you all. God bless you and God bless America. Thank you all for being here, this is incredible. Thank you very much. Thank you."

Skimming through the 75 minute (!) transcript, it seems like a dicey argument (that he incited the crowd to violence).  He says they'll be walking down Penn Ave. and "going to the Capitol."  But then he makes an arguably innocuous statement of "give them the kind of pride and boldness that they need."  His sin seems to be more one of omission (not immediately responding or sending in the National Guard) than one of commission.  

"So we’re going to, we’re going to walk down Pennsylvania Avenue, I love Pennsylvania Avenue, and we’re going to the Capitol and we’re going to try and give… The Democrats are hopeless. They’re never voting for anything, not even one vote. But we’re going to try and give our Republicans, the weak ones, because the strong ones don’t need any of our help, we’re going to try and give them the kind of pride and boldness that they need to take back our country.
So let’s walk down Pennsylvania Avenue. I want to thank you all. God bless you and God bless America. Thank you all for being here, this is incredible. Thank you very much. Thank you."
If a person says "That's a nice Capitol we got there. Be a shame if something happened to it," then the quote itself might not be evidence of incitement.

However, if that person says the above quote to a crowd of angry people, and that crowd subsequently trashes the Capitol, and the person follows up by saying "We love you" and "You're very special", and also prevents security from interfering with the rioting........then I think we may have reached "beyond reasonable doubt" status.

cc:Graham and Junior...I'm pretty sure you've already lost the argument when you implicitly compare Trump's badness to Mao and the Ayatollah.  You might want to reconsider what and who you are supporting at that point. 

Yeah, I don’t think I would vote to impeach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread