What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

January 6th - what will happen? (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone think that one of the contributing factors behind the Capitol riots is that the event was primarily organized online and it’s very difficult to distinguish between seriously violent people and internet tough guys?

This is a working theory, been working on it since like five minutes ago.
Your post could use a timestamp.

Does Pence want to go down in history in this way?
If Trump resigns, the first line of Pence’s bio won’t be “he pardoned Trump”; that might be the 2nd or 3rd line. The first line will be “the 46th President of the United States.” 

it’s such a refreshing voice to hear. I have been listening to his podcast for years and he has been attacked by the right for being too liberal and by the left for being too critical of social justice warriors and identity politics.
That means he's doing something right.

Sounds like the Capital has put in metal detectors and a few GOP members of Congress have flipped out about it. Supposedly one set it off and shoved an officer out of his way. Haven’t seen any video or anything yet.
Wait they didn't have metal detectors before? 

If Trump resigns, the first line of Pence’s bio won’t be “he pardoned Trump”; that might be the 2nd or 3rd line. The first line will be “the 46th President of the United States.” 
Haven’t there been some other people that have been President for like a couple days that we don’t count as actual Presidents?  What’s the cut off?

Haven’t there been some other people that have been President for like a couple days that we don’t count as actual Presidents?  What’s the cut off?
Kind of, but not really:

• On March 4, 1849 -- a Sunday -- Zachary Taylor was to be inaugurated but did not want to do so on the Lord's Day. James K. Polk's term ended at noon on March 4. Therefore, for roughly 24 hours, there was no sworn person holding the office of president. Missouri senator David Rice Atchison, then the outgoing Senate pro tempore, was sometimes claimed to have been the president for that one day -- in 1849, according to the Presidential Succession Act of 1792, the Senate president pro tempore immediately followed the vice president in the presidential line of succession. Complicating matters was that there was also a one-day skip between two of Atchison's senatorial terms -- that one day also starting at noon on March 4.
  • On July 13, 1985, from 11:28 am to 7:22 pm EDT, George H. W. Bush was acting president while Ronald Reagan underwent colon cancer surgery under anesthesia. Of course, GHWB became president himself in 1989.
  • On two occasions, **** Cheney was acting president while George W. Bush underwent colonoscopies under sedation (June 29, 2002 from 7:09 am to 9:24 am EDT, and July 21, 2007 from 7:16 am to 9:21 am EDT).

Kind of, but not really:

• On March 4, 1849 -- a Sunday -- Zachary Taylor was to be inaugurated but did not want to do so on the Lord's Day. James K. Polk's term ended at noon on March 4. Therefore, for roughly 24 hours, there was no sworn person holding the office of president. Missouri senator David Rice Atchison, then the outgoing Senate pro tempore, was sometimes claimed to have been the president for that one day -- in 1849, according to the Presidential Succession Act of 1792, the Senate president pro tempore immediately followed the vice president in the presidential line of succession. Complicating matters was that there was also a one-day skip between two of Atchison's senatorial terms -- that one day also starting at noon on March 4.
  • On July 13, 1985, from 11:28 am to 7:22 pm EDT, George H. W. Bush was acting president while Ronald Reagan underwent colon cancer surgery under anesthesia. Of course, GHWB became president himself in 1989.
  • On two occasions, **** Cheney was acting president while George W. Bush underwent colonoscopies under sedation (June 29, 2002 from 7:09 am to 9:24 am EDT, and July 21, 2007 from 7:16 am to 9:21 am EDT).
Acting President doesn't count. (John Tyler made a big deal about being President, not Acting President, after William Henry Harrison died.)

It's sad that only one...ONE... Republican in the House had the spine to vote to ask Pence to declare the 25th Amendment. Even now, party before country.

• Sad
Reactions: JAA
Does anyone think that one of the contributing factors behind the Capitol riots is that the event was primarily organized online and it’s very difficult to distinguish between seriously violent people and internet tough guys?

This is a working theory, been working on it since like five minutes ago.
I've read comments along those lines from law enforcement (I don't remember whether it was Capitol Police, DC Metro, the Feds, etc.).

Something like, "Yeah, there was chatter online, but there's been chatter online a thousand times before and nothing happened. We didn't know this time would be different."

It's sad that only one...ONE... Republican in the House had the spine to vote to ask Pence to declare the 25th Amendment. Even now, party before country.
It's kind of a weird thing to do. I'm not familiar with the thinking behind it, but my initial gut reaction would be to vote against it if I were in Congress.

My job is to impeach.

Pence's job is to figure out the 25th Amendment thing, and he's not asking for my help, so I'll stay in my lane.

It's kind of a weird thing to do. I'm not familiar with the thinking behind it, but my initial gut reaction would be to vote against it if I were in Congress.

My job is to impeach.

Pence's job is to figure out the 25th Amendment thing, and he's not asking for my help, so I'll stay in my lane.
I can respect that but I hardly think this was the thinking of all but one Republican House member... especially given the majority that still voted to contest the election results after the attack.

Part of the reason why there was such a push for the metal detectors was because not only did they fear Representatives bringing in weapons, they were afraid that they might guests who may be dangerous. There seems to be a lot of concern that some members may have coordinated with them.

On another note, the Michigan capitol sounds like it’s a target waiting to happen. A combination of concealed carry and open government laws allow anyone to walk into open session with a gun with nothing to stop them.

It’s beginning to sound like this was coordinated between the trump team, the proud boys, and some elected officials, which could be why McConnell suddenly seems on board with removal. Another rep is accusing elected officials of walking some of the rioters through the Capitol on the 5th in a recon tour. If that’s the case, this just got a lot more seditiony and a lot less “people incited and caught up in the moment.” The plan was to delay certification for days, then lobby and litigate when congress could reconvene.

Saw this on the news. Dem congressman headed home to CA harassed by MAGA types.

https://youtu.be/7rDIE2xpuAE
It's hard to get the context from that video, particularly how this all got started, but my initial thought was "why is a Congressman engaging with them at all and in this way?"

Again, I wasn't there, and surely that's easy to say watching a video of it and not being there, but there's no upside in arguing with a mob of conspiracy theorists.

But then again, I still fuss at my cat for jumping on the counter, which is about as effective as having a political discussion with a conspiracy theorist, so who am I to judge. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not sure what thread to put this in but I absolutely love these two paragraphs from the New York Times article about Mike Pence:

Mr. Trump came into office with no real understanding of how his predecessors had handled relationships with their running mates. In the early days, when it became clear that there would be no organizational chart or formal decision-making process, Mr. Pence made himself a regular presence in the Oval Office, simply showing up with no agenda, often walking into a policy discussion for which he had received no briefing materials.

He arrived in the West Wing each morning, received an update about when the president was coming down from the residence and then simply stationed himself in the Oval Office for most of the day. He was almost never formally invited to anything and his name was rarely on official meeting manifests. But he was almost always around.

Dinsy Ejotuz said:
Based on how 1/6 went down and the life-changing ####storm that's hitting the perps, I'd think the number of people willing to go through with this again will be much smaller on the 17th, or Inauguration Day.  Or ever. 
Good post, and I've been thinking about this quite a bit over the past few days.  You would think that other people -- having seen how badly 1/6 went for the folks involved -- would come to their senses and decide that they don't really need to do time in a federal prison for Donald Trump.  I'd like to think that if I had somehow gotten caught up in something like this, seeing these people get perp-walked out of their homes would have been a clear, unmistakable wakeup call for me.

On the other hand, I will admit that I am kind of transfixed by Podium Man.  Whereas Elk Man is quite obviously nuts -- I base that judgement on the admittedly superficial observation that most people who go shirtless, paint their face, and drape themselves in animal skins are probably a little unhinged even if they're just tailgating -- Podium Man seemed to have a pretty good life.  My understanding is that he was a stay-at-home dad and married to a doctor.  That means he had a good life.  In terms of material comfort, family support, etc. his life was probably pretty similar to mine.  And the next thing you know he's strolling through the rotunda with Pelosi's podium and mugging for the cameras, and now his life is over.  I'm not sure how a person manages to get to that point, and I don't think I really have any reason to think that what seems like an obvious wakeup call to me is really going to serve the same purpose for somebody like that.

I’m not sure what thread to put this in but I absolutely love these two paragraphs from the New York Times article about Mike Pence:

Mr. Trump came into office with no real understanding of how his predecessors had handled relationships with their running mates. In the early days, when it became clear that there would be no organizational chart or formal decision-making process, Mr. Pence made himself a regular presence in the Oval Office, simply showing up with no agenda, often walking into a policy discussion for which he had received no briefing materials.

He arrived in the West Wing each morning, received an update about when the president was coming down from the residence and then simply stationed himself in the Oval Office for most of the day. He was almost never formally invited to anything and his name was rarely on official meeting manifests. But he was almost always around.
Hard to know what to think of that.  Did Pence think he could help to shape Trump into some semblance of a political leader?  Temper some of Trump's worst instincts?  Serve as an experienced reality check?  None of that happened, it would appear.  Was Pence just bored in that Trump didn't give him anything to do?  All rather odd.

Hard to know what to think of that.  Did Pence think he could help to shape Trump into some semblance of a political leader?  Temper some of Trump's worst instincts?  Serve as an experienced reality check?  None of that happened, it would appear.  Was Pence just bored in that Trump didn't give him anything to do?  All rather odd.
 I like to think if it as Pence was showing up to add a sense of stability and normalcy....even though the Veep showing up and hanging out wasn't a "normal as usual" precedent. 

I'm not sure how a person manages to get to that point, and I don't think I really have any reason to think that what seems like an obvious wakeup call to me is really going to serve the same purpose for somebody like that.
Do we know how he got in? If he was one that strolled past barricades that had been cleared and walked through doors being held open by police, i dont think it is that complicated to follow along the thought process. 

I mean obviously going to Washington to protest is far out stuff to guys like us, but I know plenty of people that I wouldnt be too shocked to learn would go to a trump rally. I just need to do a search for "face diaper" and I imagine the venn diagram is fairly predictive. 

It’s beginning to sound like this was coordinated between the trump team, the proud boys, and some elected officials, which could be why McConnell suddenly seems on board with removal. Another rep is accusing elected officials of walking some of the rioters through the Capitol on the 5th in a recon tour. If that’s the case, this just got a lot more seditiony and a lot less “people incited and caught up in the moment.” The plan was to delay certification for days, then lobby and litigate when congress could reconvene.

I sure hope this isn't true, because if so, that is bad bad news

Add smoking in a federal building to the list of charges  :oldunsure:

https://twitter.com/AynRandPaulRyan/status/1349312406804025345?s=20

This has seemed likely to me since before January.  Obviously if you believed that before 1/6 and then 1/6 happens you're pretty much convinced it went down just like Trump planned. 

Except the pipe bombs didn't go off, Congress got away in the nick of time, the insurrectionists didn't go quite far enough, and he wasn't able to invoke whatever cockamamie reading of the law Lin, Rudy, Sidney and coterie of crackpots around him had ginned up to try and prevent the transfer of power to Biden.

Roughly, that's what I think the plan was and expect we'll eventually have a decent case for it.

So the fact that DOJ/FBI/etc are treating this with the seriousness it deserves and specifically called out untangling "command and control" of the event was a good thing.

I’m not sure they’re claiming it makes him sick. Just based on his mother’s comments, I’m guessing they’re claiming it’s an aspect of his Shamanic religion. So it would be akin to forcing Muslim inmates to eat pork.  Which is an issue that tends to come up. 
I don’t know anything about his religion, but given the vagaries concerning what constitutes “organic”, those claims seem suspect.

Outside of allegations and trying to connect the dots, what proof do we have that there was coordination prior to January 6 with the Trump administration or members of Congress?

I'd like to think that if I had somehow gotten caught up in something like this, seeing these people get perp-walked out of their homes would have been a clear, unmistakable wakeup call for me.
Yep, it would for me for sure.  A lot of people ruined their very comfortable lives a week ago.

I think what happens from here is that having been deplatformed and had the lovable goofball shine taken off it is that it goes underground and it's only the hardcore militia and seditionist types that keep up with it.  Doubly so if any of them try to break through a line of National Guardsmen to storm a seat of state or federal government going forward.

Not sure if this was shared yet.

The New York Times: Read Pence’s Letter to Pelosi.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/01/13/us/pence-letter-to-pelosi.htm

A Couple of thoughts.

1) I can respect his argument about not futher inflaming the situation.

but

2) He also accuses the Democrats of playing "political games". Personally, I think wanting a President out immediately for causing a violent insurrection should be given more respect than dismissing it as a political game.

I concede somewhat his point about the 25th Amendment not being meant as a tool of punishment but as a means to transfer power because of incapacity. IMO however, being mentally and emotionally incapable of performing the job is just as important as being physically unable.

On to impeachment.

Interesting. Representative James Clyburn has said that he felt something was going on because he works out of an unmarked office and the rioters were able to track it down. He felt someone from the inside could have been coordinating efforts. Of course it's possible that they were everywhere and just randomly found it.

Interesting. Representative James Clyburn has said that he felt something was going on because he works out of an unmarked office and the rioters were able to track it down. He felt someone from the inside could have been coordinating efforts. Of course it's possible that they were everywhere and just randomly found it.
Check out the twitter link I posted a few response up. There was a bunch of randomness at the Capitol but there sure seemed to be some organization as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread