What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Combined 100 from 81 and 82 *top song* Dire Straits - Romeo and Juliet (1 Viewer)

I loved early Police.   It still sounds interesting after all these years.  I’m not a fan of the later work by Police or Stings solo work.   Doesn’t mean it isn’t good but that early work was really incredible that brought something at a different level than the later stuff. Maybe the later work just got too poppy for me.   Don’t know.

Great add to this list though and glad I was reminded of this song after not hearing it in years. This is another band that was introduced to me by my buddy’s older sister.   She really did have it going on.  
Sting's wife was from Northern Ireland and they were living there at the time he wrote this song.  You can 'feel' those times and that place.  

The 'Invisible Sun' was a hope/plea for something positive not seen in a dark landscape.  This song has deep corners.

Sting's wife was from Northern Ireland and they were living there at the time he wrote this song.  You can 'feel' those times and that place.  

The 'Invisible Sun' was a hope/plea for something positive not seen in a dark landscape.  This song has deep corners.
The song is simply fantastic for a whole bunch of reasons.  

56.  Donnie Iris - Ah Leah

I first heard Domick Iris when he was part of the group The Jaggerz when they had a minor hit called The Rapper which was left in a pile of 45s by an older sister.  The 45 was warped like crazy but it in my tiny little stack of 45s where I got started listening to music.

When Ah Leah came out my boss at the ski area was pulling a night shift at the local wind powered radio station and mentioned that Donnie Iris was the same Dominick Lerace from The Jaggerz and he was also part of the one-hit wonder group Wild Cherry 

Ah Leah started out as an anti-war tune but when they were struggling for lyrics Donnie's writing partner came up with the hook of Ah Leah and Iris felt it sounded like a Gregorian chant so they went with it.

I first heard Domick Iris when he was part of the group The Jaggerz when they had a minor hit called The Rapper which was left in a pile of 45s by an older sister.  The 45 was warped like crazy but it in my tiny little stack of 45s where I got started listening to music.

When Ah Leah came out my boss at the ski area was pulling a night shift at the local wind powered radio station and mentioned that Donnie Iris was the same Dominick Lerace from The Jaggerz and he was also part of the one-hit wonder group Wild Cherry 

Ah Leah started out as an anti-war tune but when they were struggling for lyrics Donnie's writing partner came up with the hook of Ah Leah and Iris felt it sounded like a Gregorian chant so they went with it.
Great tune - when Tim was doing his 1981 list, I saw this one and noticed it was a late 1980 release. Your expansion helped get this one in. 👍

There's another one of his that I liked, although not as much as Leah. 

Pittsburgh legend. Head on dahn to Pants n’at before seein’ this big star you jagoff.

55.  Moody Blues - The Voice

When I first moved to Colorado I knew of The Moody Blues from the single Nights In White Satin 

I was basically a kid and the guy next door used to play the Moody Blues a ton and turned me onto a lot of their great tunes but the newer stuff they put out early in the 80s was so different but definitely memorable.

Really liked this tune even when I didn't realize it was the same Moody Blues as Nights In White Satin.

When I first moved to Colorado I knew of The Moody Blues from the single Nights In White Satin 

I was basically a kid and the guy next door used to play the Moody Blues a ton and turned me onto a lot of their great tunes but the newer stuff they put out early in the 80s was so different but definitely memorable.

Really liked this tune even when I didn't realize it was the same Moody Blues as Nights In White Satin.
They did very little before this album after their first commercial success ended in 1972, but this was a hell of a comeback song/album. And then they really went pop after this, and not nearly as fresh.

Last edited by a moderator:

I can recall Iris on MTV being interviewed by Mark Goodman, and they talked about both having "Jew-fro's".

That was the first time I ever heard that phrase. 

They did very little before this album after their first commercial success ended in 1972, but this was a hell of a comeback song/album. And then they really went pop after this, and not nearly as fresh.
Agree.  

The video posted isn't the one I remember MTV playing.  I remember this one instead.  It was one of the best videos of early MTV.  The Voice original video.

great pick man ...wish it was higher.  

58.  Earth Wind and Fire - Lets Groove

This was the best selling single of all Earth Wind and Fire tunes.  One of the best 'hook' lines in any song.

'Let this groove, get you to move'

Simplistic perfection.  

Always upbeat, always positive EWF.
as primarily a late 60s to mid-70s rock and ballad guy (and mid-60s Motown) - I was never a fan of disco ...but man, we lived in discos to pick up girls - and all that stuff brings back a ton of good memories  :wub:

52.  Tom Petty - A Woman In Love

John Lennon was going to stop by the studio when they were recording the album and Tom was excited because he had never met him, he never would as Lennon was shot before the meeting happened.

Always loved this tune and Benmont Tench the keyboardist for the Heartbreakers explains how their is a lot of 'open space' for air.  Great explanation here.

When we asked Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers keyboard player Benmont Tench about this song, he said: "I like the way the track breathes. There is a lot of space, there are a lot of places where there's only drums, bass and one guitar playing with a vocal. I like the air in that song. I like the way that the beat picks up a little and then drops down in tempo and picks up for the chorus and then drops back down for the verses. I really like that. I thought it was a brilliant song."

52.  Tom Petty - A Woman In Love

John Lennon was going to stop by the studio when they were recording the album and Tom was excited because he had never met him, he never would as Lennon was shot before the meeting happened.

Always loved this tune and Benmont Tench the keyboardist for the Heartbreakers explains how their is a lot of 'open space' for air.  Great explanation here.

When we asked Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers keyboard player Benmont Tench about this song, he said: "I like the way the track breathes. There is a lot of space, there are a lot of places where there's only drums, bass and one guitar playing with a vocal. I like the air in that song. I like the way that the beat picks up a little and then drops down in tempo and picks up for the chorus and then drops back down for the verses. I really like that. I thought it was a brilliant song."
My favorite Petty song (it’s not just me).

zamboni said:
My favorite Petty song (it’s not just me).
It’s not my favorite Petty tune but it is up there and I’m sure it is the favorite of many fans.   His vocals are simple but perfect.   I love the rhythm section kicking in and the lead guitar wailing in the background in the chorus when he’s singing “loooooovvvvve”.  Little touches like separates the greats from the good.  

Love it - wasn’t this on Tim’s countdown? Don’t recall.
The album was released in 82 as was the single in the UK so it wouldn't have made Tim's list and I also don't think it qualified for Andy's either.  

Its possible Andy had Stand Or Fall from the same album since it wasn't released as a single so he would/could have gone by the date the album was released which was October of 1982.

The album was released in 82 as was the single in the UK so it wouldn't have made Tim's list and I also don't think it qualified for Andy's either.  

Its possible Andy had Stand Or Fall from the same album since it wasn't released as a single so he would/could have gone by the date the album was released which was October of 1982.
Yes, “Stand or Fall” was definitely on Andy’s. I thought Red Skies was as well, but maybe I was hoping/expecting it in the first go around.

Back to MJ's tune.  

Supposed to be about the media feeding on him.  He was quoted before the song came out saying. "They eat off you, you're a vegetable."

And Michael is over looked for what he contributed musically.  He is credited with creating a unique sound mix called 'bathroom stomping' where he combined multiple drum machines and synthesizers.  Think Phil Spector's 'Wall Of Sound'.  

Then their was a bit of controversy over the chorus since Michael stole the 'Mama se mama sah ma mah moo sah' from Mana Dibango's 1972 song Funky Soul Makossa.

They reached an out of court settlement.

44.  Jefferson Starship - Find Your Way Back

Grace was back after a three year absence.  Not sure if she's the one on the cover in black leather but if sexy was the intent, I don't think it succeeded.

Woof
Pretty sure that's not her on the front cover. Her photos were on the inside of the album cover (it was a fold out even though it wasn't a double album).

How do I know/remember this? For those still playing along at home, this was the 5th of 5 bar mitzvah money albums I purchased back in '81 (really more like January '82), the only one which didn't get represented in Tim's '81 list. 

Users who are viewing this thread