What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Combined 100 from 81 and 82 *top song* Dire Straits - Romeo and Juliet (3 Viewers)

How do I know/remember this? For those still playing along at home, this was the 5th of 5 bar mitzvah money albums I purchased back in '81 (really more like January '82), the only one which didn't get represented in Tim's '81 list. 
Why didn't you pocket most of the money and go the Columbia House route?

Why didn't you pocket most of the money and go the Columbia House route?
That would mean I wouldn't be going to the mall. Not an option, there was defender to be played and pizza to be eaten.

Also, by Bar Mitzvah money, it would be more accurate but less pithy to state I actually paid in Bar Mitzvah The Wherehouse [sic] record store gift certificates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair point - I spent countless hours at Musicland even without buying anything.
I was too scared to steal but a friend took advantage of a mall reconstruction where the back wall of Musicland was replaced by hanging plastic sheets. He would place his favorite records nearest to the sheets and then slow play it by wandering back a little later and grab them through the plastic. Guy had a better collection than me without spending a penny.

I was too scared to steal but a friend took advantage of a mall reconstruction where the back wall of Musicland was replaced by hanging plastic sheets. He would place his favorite records nearest to the sheets and then slow play it by wandering back a little later and grab them through the plastic. Guy had a better collection than me without spending a penny.
Pretty sure that's how Columbia House/BMG/etc. formed their business model.

Pretty sure that's not her on the front cover. Her photos were on the inside of the album cover (it was a fold out even though it wasn't a double album).

How do I know/remember this? For those still playing along at home, this was the 5th of 5 bar mitzvah money albums I purchased back in '81 (really more like January '82), the only one which didn't get represented in Tim's '81 list. 
You could have gotten like 50 Columbia House albums or cassettes for like a penny under a fake name then never completed the rest of your obligation!

43.  The Who - Don't Let Go Of The Coat

Love The Who 1981 Face Dances era as they were the first BIG concert I ever went to.  Folsom Field in Boulder Colorado.  John Cougar Mellencamp opened to boos, then Jethro Tull came on to massive cheers before the Goodyear Blip sailed over to showers of fire works and Townshend's patented high arm twist and Daltry throwing the microphone about twenty five feet into the air and deftly catching it like he'd done numerous times before, smile.  Awesome concert. 

Under rated and great tune here.

46.  Joe Jackson - Cancer

Joe tapped into the zeitgeist of the time when it seemed like weekly reports were coming out of things that were causing cancer.  Odd we don't seem to get those weekly media reports any longer.  Almost like the media is controlled to keep fear mongering till the ridiculous dire warning loose effect,  lol.

Love this tune. 
Joe was a cranky libertarian long before they were in fashion. 

42.  David Lindley - She Took Off My Romeos

Probably many have not heard of this artist but he was HUGE at my radio station.  Everyone played him and I choose this as my pet song, I loved this tune.
Interesting - don't recall this tune.

Lindley was always a very highly regarded multi-instrument session player, probably best known for his falsetto "Oh, won't you stay" in Jackson Browne's "The Load Out/Stay". Also played the opening fiddle on the classic Darkness Darkness by The Youngbloods, among countless other credits.

Interesting - don't recall this tune.

Lindley was always very highly regarded multi-instrument session player, probably best known for his falsetto part in "Oh, won't you stay" in Jackson Browne's "The Load Out/Stay". Also played the opening fiddle on the classic Darkness Darkness by The Youngbloods, among countless other credits.
Lindley had that 'high' falsetto but I had no idea he was the backing vocal on Load Out/Stay which is one of my all-time favorite live tracks.  Also love Darkness Darkness and had no clue he had worked with the Youngbloods.  

Figured he had kicked around as a studio musician and I have one more track from El Rayo-X on the list.  The album is very good.

41.  Joe Jackson - Chinatown  

One of my nephews used to live in LA's Chinatown and I'd see him and sing 'Chinatown Chinatown' and he'd look at me puzzled and I'd say 'You know, Joe Jackson' which would make him look even more puzzled.  I eventually pointed him in the direction of this tune and he finally got it, lol.

42.  David Lindley - She Took Off My Romeos

Probably many have not heard of this artist but he was HUGE at my radio station.  Everyone played him and I choose this as my pet song, I loved this tune.
El Rayo-X is a great album. It was suggested to me back in the day by a guy at the local record store. He knew I really liked Jackson Browne and Warren Zevon and sold me on the album by telling me Lindley worked extensively with both of them.

Lindley had that 'high' falsetto but I had no idea he was the backing vocal on Load Out/Stay which is one of my all-time favorite live tracks.  Also love Darkness Darkness and had no clue he had worked with the Youngbloods.  

Figured he had kicked around as a studio musician and I have one more track from El Rayo-X on the list.  The album is very good.
I think I have a pretty good idea of which song it is. But, I don't want to color the direction Bracie is driving the thread.

They did it to the extent that when they played the studio version it sounded strange.
Seger's "Turn The Page" is another. My local AOR and Classic Rock channels only played the live cut. I heard the studio version on the album, but I bet it wasn't until maybe 15 years ago that I heard it played on the radio (I think some intern at XM Radio screwed up). Sounded odd.

38.  Fleetwood Mac - Can't Go Back

Classic Fleetwood Mac sound.

Classic Fleetwood Mac is an amusing statement as Mick Fleetwood, Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, and Christine and John McVie were the 10th lineup of the band.

Early 80s and Fleetwood Mac are hard wired in me and Buckingham's tune Trouble was in heavy rotation when I first moved to Colorado and had no furniture, slept on the floor but had a dinky clock radio that I still have to this day.  The deep snow, the mountains, the valley.  Certain songs/groups take you back to specific places and times.

Can't go back but its nice to revisit.

34.  Santana - Hold On

Tenth best selling single from the band was a cover from Canadian artist Ian Thomas.  This was the most popular tune but I prefer another from the same album and have a bit later on the list.
Interesting sidenote is he is the younger brother of Dave Thomas of SCTV and Bob & Doug McKenzie fame. A couple of years after this song, Manfred Mann would have a hit with a cover of Thomas' song "The Runner".

Interesting sidenote is he is the younger brother of Dave Thomas of SCTV and Bob & Doug McKenzie fame. A couple of years after this song, Manfred Mann would have a hit with a cover of Thomas' song "The Runner".
Didn’t know “Runner” was a cover - love the Manfred Mann version. Song was written about Terry Fox IIRC.

32.  Donald Fagen - New Frontier

I remember hearing an interview with Fagen where he mentioned the song was about the end of the world and living in a bomb shelter, something that was a big topic in the early 80s when the nut jobs at the Pentagon were seriously considering using tactical nuclear weapons against Russia, lol.  Morons.  Then the study about nuclear winter made the idiots reconsider.  

I was younger than everyone I hung out with in the early 80s so whenever I mentioned what this song was about I would get shot down because their was no Internet and no way to easily look things up so the 'older' crowd would use ignorance as a weapon to hold down anyone younger, lol.  Now its about which source is used and attacking sources, lol.  

Fagen is just too cool with his lyrics and delivery and the song and album is a masterpiece.

32.  Donald Fagen - New Frontier

I remember hearing an interview with Fagen where he mentioned the song was about the end of the world and living in a bomb shelter, something that was a big topic in the early 80s when the nut jobs at the Pentagon were seriously considering using tactical nuclear weapons against Russia, lol.  Morons.  Then the study about nuclear winter made the idiots reconsider.  

I was younger than everyone I hung out with in the early 80s so whenever I mentioned what this song was about I would get shot down because their was no Internet and no way to easily look things up so the 'older' crowd would use ignorance as a weapon to hold down anyone younger, lol.  Now its about which source is used and attacking sources, lol.  

Fagen is just too cool with his lyrics and delivery and the song and album is a masterpiece.
Nightfly is a great album-every song is fantastic.  Not quibbling with your selection, but IMO it doesn't get much better than "walk between raindrops"

30.  Joe Jackson - Real Men

Joe Jackson is either bi or gay and wrote this song Real Men that has been described as a Real Queer 80s song.  Joe left interpretation of the lyrics up to the listener.

"I think your average male has had his masculinity and supremacy threatened to the point where he's not sure what it is he's supposed to do. Intelligent, forward thinking, in the sexual arena, is being done by women. It's all about the way stereotypes have reversed, turned upside down and become meaningless." -- Joe Jackson 1982

MTV didn't give the video much air play so if you haven't seen it or don't recall the link has it.  

Powerful tune.

37.  The Police - Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic

Their were a handful of groups that vied for group of the early 80s, the Pretenders before death of two members got in the way, the Cars who quickly went pop, the MTV flavors of the week but the Police started hot at the end of the 70s and kept going and got better.
I think this was like #15 on Tim's list for 81. Just sayin'.
It’s a big enough umbrella to cover the same selection.

I think this was like #15 on Tim's list for 81. Just sayin'.
Ah, I thought I had them screened better than that.  

I don't see it on Tim's List

DOH, its #13

Change this to everyone's favorite, sarcasm intended, of Van Halen's Pretty Woman 

EDIT:  Yikes does that video suck even for bad 80s MTV standards, lol.

Its a tune I used on my very first night as a DJ.

Just a mistake on my part in not catching it on Tim's list.

Ah, I thought I had them screened better than that.  

I don't see it on Tim's List

DOH, its #13

Change this to everyone's favorite, sarcasm intended, of Van Halen's Pretty Woman 

EDIT:  Yikes does that video suck even for bad 80s MTV standards, lol.

Its a tune I used on my very first night as a DJ.

Just a mistake on my part in not catching it on Tim's list.
I love the internal battle you’re having here.

Moving right along, pay no attention to previous mistakes made in list.

29.  Michael Jackson - Beat It

Real bangers were used in the video.  Since I just put Van Halen in as a sub its a good time to post a song highlighting Eddie's guitar work.  Eddie thought he would catch crap for working on the song and thought no one would know it was him but word got out.  Took only two takes.  

According to Eddie, he had the engineer restructure the song to accommodate his solo, then blasted out two takes. Jackson showed up after the second take and was thrilled that Eddie cared enough about the song to rework it. Eddie told CNN: "He was this musical genius with this childlike innocence. He was such a professional, and such a sweetheart."

Michael came up with the tune after being challenged by producer Quincy Jones to come up with a song like the Knack's My Sharona.  

Users who are viewing this thread