What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Ja'Marr Chase, CIN (2 Viewers)

from PFF:

"Joe Burrow‘s struggles are the early talk of training camp. Cincinnati’s offensive line is also having major issues blocking the defensive front, per The Athletic‘s Paul Dehner Jr., which is re-igniting the Ja’Marr Chase versus  Penei Sewell debate.

Don't freak out, though. It's still early, and Burrow may simply be adjusting to practice at full speed in pads after a long injury layoff. 

Tee Higgins is the one player turning heads in training camp thus far. Per Albert Breer of the MMQB, Higgins is significantly stronger and in better shape, and he has been “on fire” in training camp."

It's going to be hard for Chase to get the numbers some are predicting for him, what with the inability to find separation as beat writers have mentioned, as well as the o-line woes. Ok so you take the beat writers opinions with a grain of salt, that's fine, you still need to get around the poor offensive line. finally you need to make the assumption that Chase can immediately make an impact strong enough to post some of the ridiculous #'s many are projecting for him , and add to the mess the fact that Higgins and Boyd aren't going away.  

cannot see any way possible that Chase gets more than about 55-60 recs this season. someone had him down for 90 recs?! I'll take the under on that, please. 

Looked good in both of those clips 
I dunno, looks like the CB just stopped running in those clips. Maybe they're working on his confidence?

Either way, I'm not concerned. I doubt I will get him in redraft, but I'm happy taking him everywhere in dyno. In my big Dynasty league he was there for me at 1.4 yesterday and I said thank you very much.

A year away from football. Kid has immense physical skills. Buy at a discount if owners are panicking (dynasty).

Everything is fine.

"I've got to take it slow," said Chase, looking already to stack tomorrow on top of today. "I realized this offense is very detailed. I had to take my time. The first couple of days I wasn't doing so well. Of course. (He was frustrated.) I kept pushing forward. Me sitting out that year, I'm not going to be so fast getting back to my normal self. It's all mental. It's all mental right now."

It's nice that two of his closet college friends are on the same side of the Bengals locker room. Burrow and tight end Thaddeus Moss.

"I talked to them about how I feel right now," Chase said. "It was plays I knew I could make. I had some drops on them. Thad just told me to relax. 'Rome wasn't built in a day.' That's exactly what he told me. 'Keep a level head.' (Burrow) was saying how we both were out for a year and we have to come back completely different, stronger, faster. The main thing is about being on the same time and getting our stuff together."

If he is getting open that is all I care about. Drops can be fixed, didn’t seem to have an issue in college.
I'm not super worried yet, but I did note that on his 3rd drop (and I believe last target before he sat), he really struggled getting off the press coverage. Probably contributed to the drop as he stumbled and then the ball was on him right as he recovered.

Before tonight was already wavering on Chase in favor of Pitts at 1.1 in TE premium -- had Chase penciled in since the NFL draft. 

I'm not super worried yet, but I did note that on his 3rd drop (and I believe last target before he sat), he really struggled getting off the press coverage. Probably contributed to the drop as he stumbled and then the ball was on him right as he recovered.
Struggling getting off press more concerning for sure.

Too early for panic but he didn’t look very dynamic out there. Other highly drafted WR have looked the part more whether they put up a decent stat line (Marshall) or not (Waddle, D Smith). I passed on Fields in a superflex a couple weeks ago….could be one of those decisions that haunts a team for a long time. Just have to hope he’s still shaking off rust. 

I stink at dynasty. Or I'm great. It will all depend on this guy. Heh.
Those were drops with an excuse. One pass a little behind, the others in traffic and he doesn't wanna get knocked out in a meaningless preseason game on passes from Kyle Allen. Chase will be good when it counts. 

The Athletic's Paul Dehner, Jr. reports WR Ja'Marr Chase could lose some regular season snaps to WR Auden Tate. 

It's been a disastrous month for the stud rookie receiver, who had three ugly drops in the Bengals' preseason game against Washington on Friday. Chase, who hasn't played competitive football since 2019, said after the game that he's "still adjusting to the timing" of NFL play. Dehner said Chase's struggles continued into Sunday, when he recorded a few drops in red zone drills, including a nicely thrown ball from Joe Burrow to the back of the end zone. Asked about Tate taking on some of Chase's snaps in the regular season, head coach Zac Taylor said "you can take a young guy and let him acclimate to life in the league. His skills will show off here pretty soon.” It appears fantasy managers drafting Tee Higgins over Chase in seasonal leagues were right all along. Chase's case of the yips should push him well down draft boards in the coming weeks. 

RELATED: 

Tee Higgins

, Auden Tate

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Aug 23, 2021, 8:55 AM ET

Those were drops with an excuse. One pass a little behind, the others in traffic and he doesn't wanna get knocked out in a meaningless preseason game on passes from Kyle Allen. Chase will be good when it counts. 

Agreed. I did think his redraft rank was way too high though, so this stuff should throw some cold water on it.

Bengals press seems very negative on Burrow and Chase this offseason. Not sure if they have always been this toxic.

Tweeted out that putting your hands on your pregnant girlfriend was lame. 

Tweet TK. 

Last edited by a moderator:
cloppbeast said:
What are we doing here? Is this what fantasy football has become? Good Lord.
Keeping track of important news about up and coming FF players drafted very high in dynasty leagues & may be considering for early rounds in redraft?

Thats what “we” have been doing in FF for decades, yes.

Welcome to the party. Better late than never I guess.

:whistle:

Lets not be surprised at something like this coming out.  We tend to hear something along these lines every season.

Remember the Giants kicker....?   How about the darling of the league Tyreek Hill....??!          :excited:

(Not that I ever condone this type of behavior)  It just doesn't surprise me anymore.

That said..................I wasn't going to draft this guy anyway.

Just another in my "DO NOT DRAFT LIST" which has to be at least 30+ players now.     :football:

Users who are viewing this thread