What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MLB Playoffs - The FFA edition (1 Viewer)

If I had my way, it would be Brewers - White Sox. The upper midwest would be on fire, rest of the country would not even tune in.
MLB has been a regional sport for a while now.  Occasionally a team captures the imagination, but fans mostly care about their team and their rival(s) losing...that's about it.  Once their team is out not many are tuning in no matter what the match-up ends up being.

Also, MLB has been consistently showing playoffs games that end after midnight on the east coast (and now more and more in the Midwest as well) to build that next generation of fans. 🤕

Also, MLB has been consistently showing playoffs games that end after midnight on the east coast (and now more and more in the Midwest as well) to build that next generation of fans. 🤕

It was a 5PM local start time :shrug:

Why a 3-1 nine-inning ballgame should take 4 1/4 hours is another story, but I accept that things slow when the stakes are high.

It was a 5PM local start time :shrug:

Why a 3-1 nine-inning ballgame should take 4 1/4 hours is another story, but I accept that things slow when the stakes are high.
Agree but kids today can’t sit through 5 minutes of anything without bringing out their phones to check TikTok.  And as much as I would have enjoyed catching the 2nd half of the game, I was long asleep.  But, as you say, the 8pm start time (locally) isn’t the problem, it’s the 4+ hours.  

:lmao:  how long after the game ended? Did he start drinking when they pulled him in the 5th?
This was after the champagne in the locker room spraying and all.

I had left it on after the game and took the dog out...came back in and he was shirtless and could not speak whatsoever.

And they kept trying to ask him serious questions for a bit.

TheWalkmen said:
Braves will be in WS, lineup is stout.
You and like one ESPN writer has confidence in the Braves.  I don’t -  too many injuries and they have almost no way to generate runs without going deep.  It wouldn’t shock me to win this series (although I doubt it) but they should be heavy dogs to SF/LA winner if they advance.

AAABatteries said:
Agree but kids today can’t sit through 5 minutes of anything without bringing out their phones to check TikTok.  And as much as I would have enjoyed catching the 2nd half of the game, I was long asleep.  But, as you say, the 8pm start time (locally) isn’t the problem, it’s the 4+ hours.  
Yep.  Baseball was a great sport before the NFL and NBA really elevated their game.    Throw in wireless internet and the ADD generation, scandals, plus all the stalling, pitching changes, etc doesn't help either.  I'd love to see a 3 hour clock of sorts.  

This was after the champagne in the locker room spraying and all.
I figured. Still surprised he'd be that hammered that fast.

Of course I thought the same thing at the Ryder Cup presser. I guess I'm old and prefer to get my buzz on at a more leisurely pace

Gotta love the announcer wetting his pants over that last HR being waaaaaaaaay outta here. Then they toss up the graphic showing projected distance at 397 feet. 

Something I’ve been wondering - obviously defensive positioning is huge now but did outfielders in say the 1980s do anything of the sort? Or did guys like Strawberry and Dwight Evans just stand in the same spot no matter who was up? 

Something I’ve been wondering - obviously defensive positioning is huge now but did outfielders in say the 1980s do anything of the sort? Or did guys like Strawberry and Dwight Evans just stand in the same spot no matter who was up? 
Don't remember anything more than just a shift for lefties vs righties

Just a little to the left or right, yes? Now they know exactly where the ball is going. Wild. 
Correct. And then it started slowly with shifts for the extreme pull hitters. Can't remember when that started, but it seemed limited to that for a long time. 

Last edited by a moderator:
In my coed softball league at Sijan Field in Bayview in the 90s we would come way in when a girl was up. We did the normal lefty/righty shift and would back up a bit for the big fat guys. 

Yea during the play when they kept showing his lead. Texted it to my friend too lol he said I should go coach third. 
A friend has a video from just behind the 3rd base dugout of the whole play…the lead was 1/3 of the way to home before the pitcher even stepped on the rubber.

A friend has a video from just behind the 3rd base dugout of the whole play…the lead was 1/3 of the way to home before the pitcher even stepped on the rubber.

THIS is a silly result from a shift that keeps the 3rd baseman so far away from the bag, that a runner on third can basically be 45 or 50 feet away from home plate. Before he actually stole, I was saying to myself "just walk home - it's wide open for you". I am not analytically sure why this is a smart play for the defense. All that being said....I loved the fact that he took the free run with 2 outs.

Brantley executed it perfectly. Didn't realize bunting was so complex for major league hitters but I'm not a purist. 
If you think about it, most of these guys have been hitting bombs since they were five years old. They've probably never bunted in their whole lives. 

I think unless a team really decides to devote a bunch of time to practicing it with all their players to try to beat all these shifts, it's never going to happen. 

But bunts don't put people in the seats, and they don't earn players bonuses either.

Chicks dig the long ball.

Friend posted the video on FB and tagged Randy…and ‘he’ responded that he was excited to see the video and loved the ‘happiness in all of you’.

I helped coach baseball for my son for the last number of years from 5th grade through 8th grade this summer.  The head coach is the high school varsity coach as his son is on the team.  Over those years the first 2 or 3 pitches of every batting cage session has always been to bunt the ball.  Granted these professionals are now on average about 10 years removed from that age but that has to be somewhat common in baseball.  It is not just the bunt factor but also helps train the hitter to keep their eyes on the ball better.

I helped coach baseball for my son for the last number of years from 5th grade through 8th grade this summer.  The head coach is the high school varsity coach as his son is on the team.  Over those years the first 2 or 3 pitches of every batting cage session has always been to bunt the ball.  Granted these professionals are now on average about 10 years removed from that age but that has to be somewhat common in baseball.  It is not just the bunt factor but also helps train the hitter to keep their eyes on the ball better.
I always did this also when throwing batting practice (softball)

One good bunt down each line

Users who are viewing this thread