What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MLB Playoffs - The FFA edition (2 Viewers)

Capella said:
Something I’ve been wondering - obviously defensive positioning is huge now but did outfielders in say the 1980s do anything of the sort? Or did guys like Strawberry and Dwight Evans just stand in the same spot no matter who was up? 
Yes defenses "shifted" in the 80's.  All teams had defensive scouting information for trends but offensive philosophy differed so everyone wasn't trying to jack HR's every swing so the extreme shifts weren't necessary based on the tendencies 

Once the HR became the end all be all and small ball and hitting for average went away dead pull tendencies starting happening more and more so the defenses adjusted.

Cheese and Crackers said:
CletiusMaximus said:
In my coed softball league at Sijan Field in Bayview in the 90s we would come way in when a girl was up. We did the normal lefty/righty shift and would back up a bit for the big fat guys. 

strykerpks said:
:oldunsure:

I started my softball career playing coed at Sijan circa 1998
Room for one more in the 90's Sijan Club?

Sunday beer league for me.

I played for Chuck's on KK.  Until Chuck died and it became Frank's, at which point we took our business elsewhere.

gump said:
A friend has a video from just behind the 3rd base dugout of the whole play…the lead was 1/3 of the way to home before the pitcher even stepped on the rubber.
Another way teams can take advantage of the shift

Astros with a quick hook on Framber.  Theme of the playoffs

ETA:  now the Sox pull Giolito in the 5th.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe with one day to prepare before game, the Dodgers should have got a good sleep and focused on the next step rather than waking up hungover from having celebrated winning a wild-card game when they are the defending World Series Champion.

Red Sox with an interesting win in Tampa. You'd have figured getting Sale knocked out would have been the death knell, but they simply responded by slamming the ball all over the Trop. Going home tied. Tampa seems like a much better team than the Red Sox (so didn't Toronto. So didn't the Yankees, even) from my limited viewings, but who am I to rain on a nice parade around the bases?

Haven’t seen the Rays pitching get hit like that in months. I’m sure they’ll be fine but the Sox can hit for sure. They haven’t used their best pitcher yet (Kittredge) so I would expect him to get big usage tomorrow. 

Last edited by a moderator:
next time there's a runner on 1st and a possibke double, just throw it over the wall*

*Assuming the umps are in your pocket and they've given you every call.

next time there's a runner on 1st and a possibke double, just throw it over the wall*

*Assuming the umps are in your pocket and they've given you every call.
Might want to brush up on the rules broski. Once fielded / caught the ground rule double wouldn’t apply 

Users who are viewing this thread