What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Twitter and Elon Musk (1 Viewer)

If you ran Twitter, what would you do?

• Total voters
Hey Joe - Without commenting on the rest (yet), I believe the answer to the bolded is that Twitter stated it would unban the account if the account deleted the offending tweet.  As I understand it, so far, Babylon Bee has refused to comply.

Thanks. For what it's worth, I don't much like the idea of forcing the offender to do that. That feels a little paternalistic forcing them to say they're sorry. 

Don't try to add the dramatic element of dangling the idea they can get their privileges back if they jump through the hoop.

Just suspend them or don't suspend them. The extra drama seems needy and weird.

Thank you for the reply. My thought as to why was the same as you outlined. It wouldn’t be ‘excellent’.

That said it is a very slippery slope. Where is the line in the sand where things that are said are acceptable vs unacceptable? 

Thanks GB. It's definitely a slippery slope. And I don't have a super clear view on this. 

That's not Twitter's fault.  If people are actively looking for confirmation bias, they could just as easily do it elsewhere, like by watching nothing by Fox/MSNBC opinion shows or reading nothing but Gateway Pundit or the liberal equivalent.
This is 100% accurate. For years I've been telling anyone who will listen that Twitter is the only sensible way to consume news. I diligently follow people I know will infuriate me again and again, because I always want to balance the voices I agree with. 

Having a varied list of follows is the best way to examine differing points of view, in any subject. If you structure your follows list correctly you will have a portal into the world you simply can't find in any other way.

I will say if someone had posted on this forum the post Babylon Bee did, they would get a suspension from here. But not a permanent suspension. (I don't know what Twitter has done in this case)

https://forums.footballguys.com/search/?q=trump pee&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=49&search_and_or=and

Interesting.  When I search "Trump pee" in this sub-forum I pull up 8 pages of results.  Just curious why jokes about Trump getting peed on are acceptable and but a transgender joke isn't?  Both are public figures.  I took a week suspension for calling Nancy P a human piece of garbage but joking about Trump paying to get urinated on seems to be acceptable.  

Not a compliant and I know you guys/girls have a tough job, just an observation that the ban hammer isn't very accurate.

Now imagine you're in a church, at a funeral or something, and the preacher guy just got done with a long elaborate prayer comforting the deceased's love ones that they're in a better place and they'll all reunite together in heaven.... THEN you hit em w that zinger.  
This guy knows comedic timing. sheesh haha

https://forums.footballguys.com/search/?q=trump pee&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=49&search_and_or=and

Interesting.  When I search "Trump pee" in this sub-forum I pull up 8 pages of results.  Just curious why jokes about Trump getting peed on are acceptable and but a transgender joke isn't?  Both are public figures.  I took a week suspension for calling Nancy P a human piece of garbage but joking about Trump paying to get urinated on seems to be acceptable.  

Not a compliant and I know you guys/girls have a tough job, just an observation that the ban hammer isn't very accurate.

Thanks. I'm sure we aren't always consistent. Of those posts, do you have a link for the ones that you feel are on the same level as https://babylonbee.com/news/the-babylon-bees-man-of-the-year-is-rachel-levine ?

Thanks. I'm sure we aren't always consistent. Of those posts, do you have a link for the ones that you feel are on the same level as https://babylonbee.com/news/the-babylon-bees-man-of-the-year-is-rachel-levine ?

Honestly Joe I come here for news and entertainment.  I've recently started a business so you know how that goes (meaning I'm not going to search the posts for a link, I'm content knowing what I've read here).  My point was that I think Twitter has an agenda.  If you refer to Bruce Jenner on Twitter  with male pronoun you are getting a permanent ban.  Chappelle, CK, or Burr can make a joke and it's not considered insensitive, it's art.  Capella, IK, or Bass make the same joke on FBG and it's ban worthy.  My personal opinion is that Trump is a steaming piece of poo and probably way down your list of most admired people. I'm confident that many of your "customers" here many agree with me.  Accordingly making jokes about him paying for hookers to pee on him are considered funny while a joke referencing a male identifying as a female as a him are considered out of bounds.  The reality is that both are someone's daughter/son.  If it's a consistent policy, why aren't we as concerned about jokes hurting Donald J Trump as we are Rachel Levine?  Circling back around I think you have an agenda...being you want this board to be a place that your family and friends can visit and that you can be proud of.  More than fair give it's your show and you're paying to keep the lights on here.  Again, I'm not griping here and I certainly don't envy the tight rope you have to walk.  Honestly this is a pretty special place relative to the rest of the internet.  The reality is that you can have the best forum on the internet and you're still not going to make everyone happy and you're going to struggle daily with questions how to handle "tweets" like the one you posted.  As you stated, we aren't always consistent.  I'm OK with that.  Twitter probably has their own motivations for how they handled this and their inconsistency.  I suspect theirs are less genuine than yours.

Let's talk in May when Roe is overturned.

I also think we're very likely win on affirmative action, but I believe that's a year away yet.
If Roe is actually overturned, the backlash will be overwhelming, and before it’s all said and done abortion will be more accessible than before. You’re never going to outlaw abortion permanently, At the most the new restrictions will be very temporary. 

Affirmative action is a little different- in itself it’s a temporary solution. But I think that attempts to defeat it will themselves be defeated. 

Nope. Conservatives are going to lose. 

I don’t write that to be trite, or trollish. I simply base it on history- our society is constantly changing, becoming more and more progressive, more accepting: and with every change that has occurred over the last 100 years or so, whether it’s race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, etc., conservatives begin by fighting it, angrily insisting they will never accept it, and then ultimately they surrender and move on to the next issue they will fight for a time. They always lose in the end. Always. 

Let's talk in May when Roe is overturned.

I also think we're very likely win on affirmative action, but I believe that's a year away yet.

If Roe is actually overturned, the backlash will be overwhelming, and before it’s all said and done abortion will be more accessible than before. You’re never going to outlaw abortion permanently, At the most the new restrictions will be very temporary. 

Affirmative action is a little different- in itself it’s a temporary solution. But I think that attempts to defeat it will themselves be defeated. 
For what it’s worth, I agree with @IvanKaramazovabout affirmative action and abortion, but I agree with @timschochetabout transgender stuff.

In 30 years I expect there will be no genders listed on passports and birth certificates and other government documents.  It will not be especially unusual to see people under 18 transitioning.  Attitudes will have changed as more and more people have loved ones, friends, and work colleagues that are trans.  Only fringe groups will publish something like the Babylon Bee’s satire. Trans people will be fully integrated into our lives.  There will be more trans celebrities, more trans politicians, etc.

And we’ll still be bitterly fighting about abortion and affirmative action.

Thanks. For what it's worth, I don't much like the idea of forcing the offender to do that. That feels a little paternalistic forcing them to say they're sorry. 

Don't try to add the dramatic element of dangling the idea they can get their privileges back if they jump through the hoop.

Just suspend them or don't suspend them. The extra drama seems needy and weird.
I assume you know I wasn't making a value judgment, just trying to answer a question you had asked.

That said, I can see both sides of this.  What you say makes sense; either do it or don't do it.  If the ultimate goal is to allow the person/group/account to be part of the platform while also ensuring that certain posts/tweets aren't present, I suppose Twitter could simply delete the offending post and continue on its way.  Of course, if the account then tweets the same thing, we're right back in the same situation.  Ultimately, I can see this as a "you can be here, you just can't do that" kind of thing.

I took a quick scan through the first page of those results.  None of them were jokes about Trump and pee tapes.  More than 50% of them were BladeRunner complaining about the media and "the Trump pee tapes".  Almost all of them were conservatives complaining about the same.

In 30 years I expect there will be no genders listed on passports and birth certificates and other government documents.  It will not be especially unusual to see people under 18 transitioning.  Attitudes will have changed as more and more people have loved ones, friends, and work colleagues that are trans.  Only fringe groups will publish something like the Babylon Bee’s satire. Trans people will be fully integrated into our lives.  There will be more trans celebrities, more trans politicians, etc.
FWIW, I don't have any objection to much of what you just described.  I have mixed feelings about minors transitioning, but I'm not actively opposed to it.  The other stuff is all fine.

I assume you know I wasn't making a value judgment, just trying to answer a question you had asked.

That said, I can see both sides of this.  What you say makes sense; either do it or don't do it.  If the ultimate goal is to allow the person/group/account to be part of the platform while also ensuring that certain posts/tweets aren't present, I suppose Twitter could simply delete the offending post and continue on its way.  Of course, if the account then tweets the same thing, we're right back in the same situation.  Ultimately, I can see this as a "you can be here, you just can't do that" kind of thing.

For sure. I know you were making a value judgement. You were passing along information on the question I asked and that was helpful. 

I just wasn't aware they did that type of thing and found it interesting. It's an interesting thing as one has to think a few steps ahead but I'm most always on the side of it's best to not create martyrs if you can help it and it seems like that's what their policy does. With that said, they've got to me what seems an impossible task of trying to moderate. So I don't feel like I have much room to talk there. 

Honestly Joe I come here for news and entertainment.  I've recently started a business so you know how that goes (meaning I'm not going to search the posts for a link, I'm content knowing what I've read here).  My point was that I think Twitter has an agenda.  If you refer to Bruce Jenner on Twitter  with male pronoun you are getting a permanent ban.  Chappelle, CK, or Burr can make a joke and it's not considered insensitive, it's art.  Capella, IK, or Bass make the same joke on FBG and it's ban worthy.  My personal opinion is that Trump is a steaming piece of poo and probably way down your list of most admired people. I'm confident that many of your "customers" here many agree with me.  Accordingly making jokes about him paying for hookers to pee on him are considered funny while a joke referencing a male identifying as a female as a him are considered out of bounds.  The reality is that both are someone's daughter/son.  If it's a consistent policy, why aren't we as concerned about jokes hurting Donald J Trump as we are Rachel Levine?  Circling back around I think you have an agenda...being you want this board to be a place that your family and friends can visit and that you can be proud of.  More than fair give it's your show and you're paying to keep the lights on here.  Again, I'm not griping here and I certainly don't envy the tight rope you have to walk.  Honestly this is a pretty special place relative to the rest of the internet.  The reality is that you can have the best forum on the internet and you're still not going to make everyone happy and you're going to struggle daily with questions how to handle "tweets" like the one you posted.  As you stated, we aren't always consistent.  I'm OK with that.  Twitter probably has their own motivations for how they handled this and their inconsistency.  I suspect theirs are less genuine than yours.

Thanks GB. It's a challenge for sure to get the moderating right. 

It's interesting to me as I do think over the years it's been a factor in us having a strong forum community. But we certainly have challenges with it in getting it right. 

I think half the people here are making far too much of BB on Twitter.  It’s a satirical site, nothing more.  Someone got butthurt and here we are.  Let’s just neuter every comedian, hate to offend anyone.  

I don’t write that to be trite, or trollish. I simply base it on history- our society is constantly changing, becoming more and more progressive, more accepting: and with every change that has occurred over the last 100 years or so, whether it’s race, sex, sexual orientation, gender, etc., conservatives begin by fighting it, angrily insisting they will never accept it, and then ultimately they surrender and move on to the next issue they will fight for a time. They always lose in the end. Always. 

https://townhall.com/columnists/victordavishanson/2022/03/24/the-real-reset-is-coming-n2604976

Twitter probably has their own motivations for how they handled this and their inconsistency
They do. It’s mentioned in their policy:

Twitter’s mission is to give everyone the power to create and share ideas and information, and to express their opinions and beliefs without barriers. Free expression is a human right – we believe that everyone has a voice, and the right to use it. Our role is to serve the public conversation, which requires representation of a diverse range of perspectives. 

We recognize that if people experience abuse on Twitter, it can jeopardize their ability to express themselves. Research has shown that some groups of people are disproportionately targeted with abuse online. This includes; women, people of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, asexual individuals, marginalized and historically underrepresented communities. For those who identify with multiple underrepresented groups, abuse may be more common, more severe in nature and more harmful.

We are committed to combating abuse motivated by hatred, prejudice or intolerance, particularly abuse that seeks to silence the voices of those who have been historically marginalized. For this reason, we prohibit behavior that targets individuals or groups with abuse based on their perceived membership in a protected category.  

That article doesn’t contradict me. Hanson predicts a conservative backlash coming this November and I agree with him. But my argument is that conservatives win short term victories and liberals win long term victories. 

I would also warn that if Ivan is correct and Roe gets overturned, that could seriously interfere with the coming red wave. (Personally I think Roe won’t be overturned; the SC will uphold the Mississippi law, but keep Roe intact. We will see.) 

That article doesn’t contradict me. Hanson predicts a conservative backlash coming this November and I agree with him. But my argument is that conservatives win short term victories and liberals win long term victories. 

I would also warn that if Ivan is correct and Roe gets overturned, that could seriously interfere with the coming red wave. (Personally I think Roe won’t be overturned; the SC will uphold the Mississippi law, but keep Roe intact. We will see.) 
I'd be fine with this outcome, by the way.  My preference is for Roe to be formally repudiated, but gutting it and allowing states to effectively ban abortion would be okay too.

We will have to agree to disagree...the backlash goes far deeper than you realize...like anything else in life there are boundaries.

We will have to agree to disagree...the backlash goes far deeper than you realize...like anything else in life there are boundaries.
My point is that we’re not really disagreeing. I know how angry many conservatives are. I know how deep the backlash goes. It will lead to many conservative victories in the coming months and years. I just don’t believe that any of these will be permanent. 

My point is that we’re not really disagreeing. I know how angry many conservatives are. I know how deep the backlash goes. It will lead to many conservative victories in the coming months and years. I just don’t believe that any of these will be permanent. 

We are disagreeing to a point...I think you are seeing a line in the sand being drawn on many issues such as CRT, teaching young children about sex and other topics that are now hitting close to home as opposed to stuff happening "somewhere else."

When somebody offers to agree to disagree, you can just leave it at that.  It's not an invitation to repeat the exact same argument-free raw assertions that you've posted several times before.  

These get exhausting after a while.

Religious fundamentalism is probably incompatible with a good sense of humor.

Not sure what you mean. Like many things, I think this hinges on exactly what you mean about "religious fundamentalism". I know few things are easier targets and they've certainly done their share to earn scorn. But I also know some people who have their faith as a central part of their life who have a great sense of humor. And I don't think they're outliers. I obviously don't know him, but I've read the Dalai Lama has a great sense of humor. 

We are disagreeing to a point...I think you are seeing a line in the sand being drawn on many issues such as CRT, teaching young children about sex and other topics that are now hitting close to home as opposed to stuff happening "somewhere else."
This all makes a lot more sense if you understand that tim thinks he's basing his predictions on how these issues have played out in the US historically.  What he's really basing them on is an idiosyncratic way of framing the issue.

Tim see this stuff as "civil rights issues."  If that's your frame of reference, it's easy to see why he thinks those folks would win and why any backlash would be temporary.  The civil rights movement did win.  So did the women's rights movement.  So did the gay rights movement.  And so on.

But you could just as easily frame this as a "religious fundamentalists freaking out" issue.  The woke movement is just a modern, secular form of fundamentalism.  Those people tend to lose in the long run, because normal people can only take so much fundamentalist rigidity before they throw their hands up and say "enough is enough."  

This all makes a lot more sense if you understand that tim thinks he's basing his predictions on how these issues have played out in the US historically.  What he's really basing them on is an idiosyncratic way of framing the issue.

Tim see this stuff as "civil rights issues."  If that's your frame of reference, it's easy to see why he thinks those folks would win and why any backlash would be temporary.  The civil rights movement did win.  So did the women's rights movement.  So did the gay rights movement.  And so on.

But you could just as easily frame this as a "religious fundamentalists freaking out" issue.  The woke movement is just a modern, secular form of fundamentalism.  Those people tend to lose in the long run, because normal people can only take so much fundamentalist rigidity before they throw their hands up and say "enough is enough."  

Yup...excellent translation of my "enough of this BS" explanation.

Well this is a pretty correct analysis of my thinking, except I obviously don’t believe I’m being idiosyncratic. I would argue that your attempt to place elements of the woke movement within the framework of religious fundamentalism is itself idiosyncratic (though certainly interesting.) 

Last edited by a moderator:
So did the gay rights movement.  
There is also an important point here: only a few short years ago, the gay rights movement was NOT winning. My own liberal state of California passed a proposition (voted for by a majority of the public here) which made same marriage illegal. It was considered a huge victory for religious conservatives. 
Now these same religious conservatives don’t talk about gay marriage any longer; it’s all about trans issues these days. The argument used to be “civil rights are OK, but not for gay people”. Now it’s “civil rights for gay people are OK, but not for trans people.” My point is that these conservatives will, in time, move on to the next thing that outrages them. 

It is really losing?  Or is society losing in "some areas?"

BB was really good for a period of time.  Then they decided to go political and it's been downhill ever since.  I've been meaning to unfollow them for some time.  This just reminded me to follow through.  

I wouldn't ban them for it, but I'd definitely remove their post and all the retweets.  I know that doesn't remove it from the internet, but it removes it from my platform.  That's the best I can do.  Of course, if I were running twitter, it likely wouldn't make it 6 months under my guidance/leadership simply because I have such a low tolerance for social media in general for reasons just like this one.  Not sure I could sleep at night knowing my product was contributing to so much hostility, misinformation, animosity, and hate.  

The Commish said:
I wouldn't ban them for it, but I'd definitely remove their post and all the retweets.
This is very close to what Twitter did. They applied their “requiring Tweet removal” consequence. Although “read-only” could be considered a ban.

Requiring Tweet removal.

For example, we may ask someone to remove the violating content and serve a period of time in read-only mode before they can Tweet again. Subsequent violations will lead to longer read-only periods and may eventually result in permanent suspension.

FairWarning said:
I’m trying to come up with topics that the left can laugh at that isn’t offensive.  All I have is wheat germ so far.
Maybe it's me, but I think you're going to have to unpack how wheat germ is funny.

timschochet said:
Well this is a pretty correct analysis of my thinking, except I obviously don’t believe I’m being idiosyncratic. I would argue that your attempt to place elements of the woke movement within the framework of religious fundamentalism is itself idiosyncratic (though certainly interesting.) 
I should add that the woke movement is not the first time we've seen a fundamentalist moral panic erupt in a secular setting.  The red scare in the 1950s was very similar, which is why it inspired so many parallels to the Salem witch trials.

timschochet said:
There is also an important point here: only a few short years ago, the gay rights movement was NOT winning. My own liberal state of California passed a proposition (voted for by a majority of the public here) which made same marriage illegal. It was considered a huge victory for religious conservatives. 
Now these same religious conservatives don’t talk about gay marriage any longer; it’s all about trans issues these days. The argument used to be “civil rights are OK, but not for gay people”. Now it’s “civil rights for gay people are OK, but not for trans people.” My point is that these conservatives will, in time, move on to the next thing that outrages them. 
Yeah, the gay thing and the trans thing are not really similar.  Like, at all.

Gay people can go off and do whatever they want.  Nobody is forcing me to get gay married.  If I have a problem with gay marriage, nobody is forcing me to attend one.  This is where small-L liberalism really shines.  It allows people who disagree with one another to live their lives as they see fit, and they can just disagree peacefully.  No big deal.

The trans movement isn't like that.  I feel kind of bad for trans people who just want to live their lives the way I just described gay people or straight people living their lives on their own terms.  But the movement representing them is extremely invested in forcing everybody else to play-act in someone else's role playing game, and in silencing people who won't.  It's an illiberal movement in a way the gay rights movement wasn't.  I doubt it will be as successful, but we'll see.

I think irreverent satire is a lot more defensible if it's funny. That's where the Bee went wrong here.

This sounds good but in reality is tough to handle I think. So many people see comedy subjectively. Which makes things tough when you're moderating for a larger group with lots of different viewpoints. 

It's been my experience that a person's history matters a ton in this. For instance, a joke about something like a car wreck is a lot less funny to a person who's lost someone in a car wreck. 

But the movement representing them is extremely invested in forcing everybody else to play-act in someone else's role playing game, and in silencing people who won't.  
You say they’re not similar but I will point out that this exact same argument, almost word for word, was used t repeatedly by religious conservatives in opposition to the gay rights movement. 

This sounds good but in reality is tough to handle I think. So many people see comedy subjectively. Which makes things tough when you're moderating for a larger group with lots of different viewpoints. 

It's been my experience that a person's history matters a ton in this. For instance, a joke about something like a car wreck is a lot less funny to a person who's lost someone in a car wreck. 
This is an area I’ve disagreed strongly with your moderation.  I give posters and Tweeters the same leeway I give comedians.  They shouldn’t get cancelled or a ban/TO for obvious jokes that some don’t find funny.  Because once you head down that slippery slope then it’s a matter of what is funny and who is offended (like you point out).  We allow jokes for things we are comfortable with but not for things we aren’t.  I’d rather ignore, change the channel or just not laugh than cancel.  Just my thought.

You say they’re not similar but I will point out that this exact same argument, almost word for word, was used t repeatedly by religious conservatives in opposition to the gay rights movement. 
I'm pretty familiar with the anti-gay rights movement, at least the "National Review style" side of that movement, and I can tell you with certainty that this is not the same argument.  It's not even a similar argument.

Another important difference is that the gay rights movement had actual, affirmative arguments in favor of their position.  The arguments of TRAs seem to all fall under some variety of "shut up," "go away," and "I'd like to speak to your manager."  There is no underlying argument -- it's just strong-arming.  

I follow Babylon Bee on Truth Social. Their last post is "Babylon Bee Writers Trying To Slowly Tunnel Out Of Twitter Jail Behind Poster Of Gina Carano"

They have roughly 300k followers and most of their posts get between 1-3000 likes and about 100 comments. Not bad for TS but not Twitter engagement at all. 

Users who are viewing this thread