What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Twitter and Elon Musk (3 Viewers)

If you ran Twitter, what would you do?

• Total voters
My best guess is the timing was quite poor, nothing more or less than that. The tech space absolutely tanked right after he disclosed his Twitter stake and his intentions became known. The relative re-pricing of most meaningful Nasdaq large caps made his $44B bid feel overpriced, and now he's attempting to renegotiate to bring the takeover price lower. 

I'm really not sure what you are saying by him 'not being aware of twitter's practical position', unless you're talking about the bot issue. But again, that could be him simply attempting to apply leverage to get the deal price lowered.
The financial aspect of this entire thing is probably the least interesting part to me.  Not sure I could care less.  I am speaking of the evidence that seems to suggest that Musk had no real clue about twitter's reach (or lack thereof) globally, what the composition of the "user base" actually is or how it makes money efficiently.  The last part is only of a slight interest in a "well, no duh" kind of way.

The financial aspect of this entire thing is probably the least interesting part to me.  Not sure I could care less.  I am speaking of the evidence that seems to suggest that Musk had no real clue about twitter's reach (or lack thereof) globally, what the composition of the "user base" actually is or how it makes money efficiently.  The last part is only of a slight interest in a "well, no duh" kind of way.
The whole thing is crazy.  A regular person wouldn't buy a house or car without an inspection but Musk proposes to buy Twitter for 42 billion without DD. 

Musk telling all Tesla employees they must return to the office.  No more remote working.

Elon Musk "Return to office or pretend to work somewhere else"
This is the thinking of quite a few ####### bosses IMO.

No clue about Elon’s situation or why he’s popping off, but I get a sense from people I have chatted with that if there is pressure to be in the office it comes from managers - who don’t come in. They enjoy the power trip or they need the minions to do the hands on work while they supervise at home. 

Oof. Guy seems like a jerk of a boss

"Everyone at Tesla is required to spend a minimum of 40 hours in the office per week," he wrote in one of the emails. "If you don't show up, we will assume you have resigned."

I think this is the de facto twitter thread :mellow:

"Public square" arguments are getting tougher and tougher to make with respect to what a private business has to allow etc.

SC weighs in on Texas Law
Not aware of anyone who made a public square argument. Only that Twitter was acting as a de facto public square.

Good link. I found it interesting that the ruling didn't break down along the traditional left/right axis.

Musk telling all Tesla employees they must return to the office.  No more remote working.

Elon Musk "Return to office or pretend to work somewhere else"

This is the thinking of quite a few ####### bosses IMO.

No clue about Elon’s situation or why he’s popping off, but I get a sense from people I have chatted with that if there is pressure to be in the office it comes from managers - who don’t come in. They enjoy the power trip or they need the minions to do the hands on work while they supervise at home. 

Oof. Guy seems like a jerk of a boss

"Everyone at Tesla is required to spend a minimum of 40 hours in the office per week," he wrote in one of the emails. "If you don't show up, we will assume you have resigned."

This is absurd.  There should be ZERO requirement to be in an office unless your physical presence is absolutely necessary to be there (i.e. construction worker, plumber, etc..).

You would think businesses would say, "Hell!  We can save a ton of money by not having an office or having a much smaller one".  But, I agree with @The General here.  He wants to be a doosh-nozzle on a power trip.

The teams I've been on have not dropped in productivity at all despite all of us being remote now.  It's the future.  Not only that, think of the how much we're saving the environment by WFH. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not aware of anyone who made a public square argument. Only that Twitter was acting as a de facto public square.

Good link. I found it interesting that the ruling didn't break down along the traditional left/right axis.
Plenty of it in this thread.  But to save the little bit of clicking I'll summerize.  Generally goes like this: "Twitter is a public square and because of that, you can't censor me".  It's not a public square as MT so aptly pointed out near the beginning.  It's a private company allowing you to post on their site based on their rules and they are allowed to do what they believe is correct for their business.  If that means removing you or me or whoever, that's their decision.  We don't have a "right" to be on their platforms.

Plenty of it in this thread.  But to save the little bit of clicking I'll summerize.  Generally goes like this: "Twitter is a public square and because of that, you can't censor me".  It's not a public square as MT so aptly pointed out near the beginning.  It's a private company allowing you to post on their site based on their rules and they are allowed to do what they believe is correct for their business.  If that means removing you or me or whoever, that's their decision.  We don't have a "right" to be on their platforms.
I don't remember anyone saying it's a public square in this thread. Only that it is serving as a de facto public square. You are correct that several posters are conflating the two arguments.

I think everyone has agreed they have the legal right as a private company to do whatever they want, but that's sort of an irrelevant part of the conversation.

It did, though.  The dissenters were the three most conservative justices plus Kagan, but Kagan did not join the written dissent.  She hasn't explained her vote yet, but my guess is that it was some sort of procedural quirk: this was a review of an injunction placed by the district court and removed by the appellate court, not a decision on the merits.

FWIW the actual dissent is just absolutely bat#### crazy. I haven't seen a single respectable con law expert defend it.  I have very very low expectations for this particular Court and even I expected a 9-0 decision unless there was some sort of weird procedural aspect I didn't know about. On substance the Texas bill is plainly unconstitutional. At this point we have to just assume that Alito, Gorsuch and Thomas will literally just vote for anything Republicans want. We're like two liberal justice deaths away from re-segregated schools.
I didn't know she didn't join the written dissent. Is it a given that she'll explain her vote at some point?

Don't think so. 

Just one more way the Supreme Court refuses to see itself as accountable to the American people.
Is it customary for every dissenting judge to join the written dissent? I'm really curious about this because as you said, the 3 justices who are most conservative dissented. For them to be joined by Kagan is very strange.

Is it customary for every dissenting judge to join the written dissent? I'm really curious about this because as you said, the 3 justices who are most conservative dissented. For them to be joined by Kagan is very strange.

Kagan wouldn't join the written dissent if she disagreed with its rationale, even if she also disagreed with the order entered by the Court.

This wasn't a real case. It was part of the shadow docket, not the actual docket. There was no oral argument. Written briefs were very limited. I don't think the majority wrote an opinion. I don't think it's weird for dissenters not to write an opinion in that situation, either.

Maurile Tremblay said:
Battersbox said:

Kagan wouldn't join the written dissent if she disagreed with its rationale, even if she also disagreed with the order entered by the Court.

This wasn't a real case. It was part of the shadow docket, not the actual docket. There was no oral argument. Written briefs were very limited. I don't think the majority wrote an opinion. I don't think it's weird for dissenters not to write an opinion in that situation, either.

If Kagan hadn't asked to have her dissent noted (and it would be perfectly normal for her to not appear on the order at all), we'd probably all assume it was a 6-3 decision. Its an unfortunate trend for me, but I get it. Thomas wrote a 12 page concurrence on a 9-0 dismissal order in the Trump/Twitter 1st amendment case last year. All 9 agreed the case was moot because Trump was no longer President so none of it mattered, but Clarence decided to write a manifesto on how he might rule in a future case involving Twitter's status as a public utility, Section 230, social media devils, etc. - paving the way for a hypothetical future lawsuit. From a big picture perspective, I think this is a terrible trend.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/040521zor_3204.pdf

If Kagan hadn't asked to have her dissent noted (and it would be perfectly normal for her to not appear on the order at all), we'd probably all assume it was a 6-3 decision. Its an unfortunate trend for me, but I get it. Thomas wrote a 12 page concurrence on a 9-0 dismissal order in the Trump/Twitter 1st amendment case last year. All 9 agreed the case was moot because Trump was no longer President so none of it mattered, but Clarence decided to write a manifesto on how he might rule in a future case involving Twitter's status as a public utility, Section 230, social media devils, etc. - paving the way for a hypothetical future lawsuit. From a big picture perspective, I think this is a terrible trend.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/courtorders/040521zor_3204.pdf
Thanks for your reply. 

Just so I'm understanding, you're saying the trend of dissenters authoring these comprehensive opinions is not a good idea? Or in other words, dissenters simply dissenting without formally submitting their reasoning used to be the norm and now it is less so?

And why would Kagan ask to have her dissent noted? What do you suppose her reasoning would be?

***And before any of our highly-political brethren on here think I'm trying to steer us toward some sort of agenda by asking these questions, let me say I'm absolutely not. I'm purely curious. In fact, from my limited understanding, I think the court got this one right***

Battersbox said:
Thanks for your reply. 

Just so I'm understanding, you're saying the trend of dissenters authoring these comprehensive opinions is not a good idea? Or in other words, dissenters simply dissenting without formally submitting their reasoning used to be the norm and now it is less so?

And why would Kagan ask to have her dissent noted? What do you suppose her reasoning would be?

***And before any of our highly-political brethren on here think I'm trying to steer us toward some sort of agenda by asking these questions, let me say I'm absolutely not. I'm purely curious. In fact, from my limited understanding, I think the court got this one right***

The important part from MT's comment is understanding the difference between an order and an opinion on a case before the Court. This ruling on the Texas law was an order. You can see all the other orders they entered that day in the link - accepting or rejecting cases, granting minor procedural motions, and similar rulings. Most orders are entered without comment. In some cases, an order is the work of a single justice, but in some the issue is referred to the entire court, in which case it goes to a vote. In those cases, we usually just know there were at least 5 on the side that prevailed, but we have no idea who or why - which in most cases is fine. This is called the "shadow docket" because in some cases these rulings can be quite powerful and have significant consequences, even though the case is only before the court on a procedural ruling. In recent times, the justices are not only increasingly identifying their vote, as Kagan did here, but also sometimes writing detailed concurrences, dissents, partial dissents, etc. My personal feeling on this, which is not worth the paper its not printed on, is that its not a positive development for the justices to use the platform of a concurrence in an order to state their position on an issue not before the court.

Is this more a 5-D chess move, or is he really just in CYA mode and is having a bit of buyer's remorse (even though he hasn't truly bought it)?

Krista is definitely the expert in this area. So based solely on her analysis a couple of pages back, it doesn't seem like he has a very good legal basis for getting out of the deal. This letter, therefore, seems like a price negotiation to me.

I personally don't think he ever actually wanted to buy it.

It was one of those I'm rich, I like "fame", I would really like this thing, I'm going to buy it!!!

Then the nuts and bolt of the whole thing start getting assembled and it's meh.... nevermind

I personally don't think he ever actually wanted to buy it.

It was one of those I'm rich, I like "fame", I would really like this thing, I'm going to buy it!!!

Then the nuts and bolt of the whole thing start getting assembled and it's meh.... nevermind
Even worse. Will cost him a billion if he backs out.  Pocket change.  Meanwhile millions who bought the stock will get punched

Like with any rich ####### type his out goes something like, not sure the legal terms but, “no deal…sue me”.
Seems so familiar.... 

Twitter is calling his bluff and giving him all the data he asked for.  Information he would have been allowed to review during DD but declined.  I hope they do whatever they can to get that $42 per share or most likely squeeze a billion+ in penalties out of him.  

It stinks because I'm such a big fan of Musk the innovator but he acts like such a privileged jerk. 

Some of his recent Twitter posts keep showing up in my feed recently, goings on about bots and spam ads on YouTube now…starting to read like Trump’s constant “some people are saying…” and then just tossing chum into the water for bait

Last 7 days:

Space X fires employees over open letter to management

Daughter files for name change and new birth certificate, wants nothing to do with Elon

Tesla factories losing billions of dollars, furnace for cash

Starlink may not work due to 5G interference

Boring company expands tunnel project around Las Vegas

Elon answers questions for Twitter employees

So maybe Elon had twins with an executive at one of his companies around the same time Grimes was giving birth to his 9th child. 

Secret twins

He is not helping his cause. 

So maybe Elon had twins with an executive at one of his companies around the same time Grimes was giving birth to his 9th child. 

Secret twins

What cause is he not helping?  This seems like a pot shot and I'm not even sure what the.problem is.  Dude can't have kids?

What cause is he not helping?  This seems like a pot shot and I'm not even sure what the.problem is.  Dude can't have kids?
They're religious fundamentalists who refuse to acknowledge that they're religious fundamentalists.

I'm a big fan of marriage, monogamy, and not having kids out of wedlock.  If anybody asks me about the "best" way to organize your life when you're in your 20s, it's that.  But a) that's just my advice, b) adults should be free to organize their lives differently if they choose, c) my disapproval should be a matter of complete indifference to them, and d) I don't fundamentally care how people live because it's none of my business.

But religious fundamentalists don't think that way.  @Nugget apparently has a thing about out-of-wedlock children, and because he cares, we're all supposed to care and we're all supposed to shun the sinner.  I don't agree with that as a matter of personality, and it's also not the way I conceive of my own religious practice.

Secret twins

This is weird coming from the side of the aisle where adultery is no big deal and irresponsible sex is promoted and celebrated.

I would think you would be frantically buying Tesla and Twitter stock right now.  😜

I don't care that Musk has so many kids. I find it weird and all, but whatever. He has billions, he certainly can afford it. There is a parallel to professional athletes who have multiple kids with multiple ladies, and the differences in how they are perceived though.

They're religious fundamentalists who refuse to acknowledge that they're religious fundamentalists.

I'm a big fan of marriage, monogamy, and not having kids out of wedlock.  If anybody asks me about the "best" way to organize your life when you're in your 20s, it's that.  But a) that's just my advice, b) adults should be free to organize their lives differently if they choose, c) my disapproval should be a matter of complete indifference to them, and d) I don't fundamentally care how people live because it's none of my business.

But religious fundamentalists don't think that way.  @Nugget apparently has a thing about out-of-wedlock children, and because he cares, we're all supposed to care and we're all supposed to shun the sinner.  I don't agree with that as a matter of personality, and it's also not the way I conceive of my own religious practice.
That doesn't answer my question.  That sounds like an explanation for Musk not helping Nuggets cause, not about hurting Musk's.

I don't care that Musk has so many kids. I find it weird and all, but whatever. He has billions, he certainly can afford it. There is a parallel to professional athletes who have multiple kids with multiple ladies, and the differences in how they are perceived though.
Travis Henry says hi

Secret twins

I imagine this depends on what cause we're talking about.  Best I can tell, Musk has two basic causes in which he's interested.  The first is owning/operating his businesses.  Other than the possibility of being sued for sexual harassment or other HR violation, I don't think this really impacts that cause at all.  Musk's second cause, IMO, is being an attention whore.  This would seem to help, or at least not hurt, that cause.

Ah yes, how could I have overlooked this point since you guys have so consistent on this issue over the years. 
Your snark aside, I think most people here would probably not survive in their profession very long if they were secretly having kids with a subordinate. Obviously billionaires and politicians live by different rules

Apparently everyone is cool with Elon having sex with his employees. I think this runs counter to the culture he claims to have wanted at his companies and adds credence to the sexual harassment claims that have followed him.  

Quote from Elon:

"Doing my best to help the underpopulation crisis. 

A collapsing birth rate is the biggest danger civilization faces by far."

The biggest danger civilization faces is the birth rate? I'm going to go ahead and disagree with the genius on this one.

I have a thing for CEOs ####### people whose paychecks are dependent on them. 

Users who are viewing this thread