What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*2014-15 Hot Stove Thread: The Padres won it I guess (2 Viewers)

The Angels officially announced the signing of Roberto Baldoquin to an $8-million bonus on Tuesday after the Cuban middle infielder passed a physical in mid-December.The right-handed-hitting Baldoquin, 20, is a highly regarded 5-foot-11, 195-pounder who could eventually replace Erick Aybar at shortstop or play second base. He will attend big league spring-training camp and is expected to open the 2015 season at double-A Arkansas or Class-A Inland Empire.

“Roberto is a very well-rounded player,” said Angels General Manager Jerry Dipoto, who scouted Baldoquin for three days in late October at the team’s academy in the Dominican Republic. “He can play all three infield positions, he’s a gifted defender with soft hands and the arm strength to play any infield position.

“He has a very advanced feel in the batter’s box for what’s a ball, what’s a strike, and for using the middle of the field with a level line-drive stroke. He has power to lift the ball. The only tool that grades out as average is running speed.”

Baldoquin has reportedly played three seasons for Las Tunas in Cuba’s Serie Nacional, the top league on the island, and he was a member of the country’s 16-and-under national team. He left Cuba last February and has been training in the Dominican Republic.

The signing far exceeds the Angels’ $2.4-million international bonus pool for 2014, leaving the team subject to a 100% tax on the overage. That means Baldoquin will actually cost the Angels roughly $14 million to sign. That money, however, will not be counted toward the team’s luxury-tax payroll.

Dipoto said Baldoquin physically “looks like a cross between Yuniel Escobar and Adrian Beltre” and is polished for his age. The GM is confident Baldoquin will develop into an everyday big league shortstop.

Grahamburn said:
Rays have had "discussions" with Colby Rasmus, apparently in an effort to add as many awful players as possible and secure the worst offseason ever title.
I don't know? The Rays aren't nearly as bad as some people are making them out to be, and they could use another outfielder. The pitching staff is deep and legit. Adding a few bats with some thump on short deals isn't such a bad idea.
I agree the pitching should be really good and they can win some games this year....until they trade Zobrist. He's too good.

Stephen Drew stays with the Yankees for 1/$5.5M plus plate appearance based incentives. That's pocket change for the Yankees for a body to fill an area of need.

I have to think Drew has a dead cat bounce in him. It also gives Refsnynder some extra time in the minors and me some extra time so I can spell his name w/out having to look it up.

I can't remember which team TRE told me we were going to be fans of this year instead of the Twins.
Cubs -- they're doing what the Twins want to do.
Why anyone would voluntary opt in to Cubs fandom is beyond me. Some of my best friends, and the most tortured souls I know, have been stricken with this curse. Best of luck.
Well, I'm not some kind of ####### that's going to be a Red Sox or Dodgers fan for a year. Cubs look like they'll be fun this year. Young guys that are ready, influx of talent, etc.

I can't remember which team TRE told me we were going to be fans of this year instead of the Twins.
Why anyone would voluntary opt in to Cubs fandom is beyond me. Some of my best friends, and the most tortured souls I know, have been stricken with this curse. Best of luck.
Can you imagine what it's going to be like to be on board when it finally happens though?! :excited:

Can you imagine what it's going to be like to be on board when it finally happens though?! :excited:
Said every Cubs fan for the last how many years?

St. Paul Saints?
Unwatchable. Even with tailgating.
:lmao: So true. At least this year you can just leave and get hammered at any number of bars around the corner
:goodposting:

Last time I had tix (first row, lam!) we left in the first inning and went to the bar. It was either that or burn the place down.

How long has it been now?

Grahamburn said:
Limp Ditka said:
Grahamburn said:
RnR said:
Notorious T.R.E. said:
How long has it been now?
Probably safe to give them a 20 year 'bast in the glow' period for that glorious 1908 season. After that, the angst started to set in. So we'll call it 87 years

from MLB,com .....

By AJ Cassavell / MLB.com | 11:32 AM ET
Spring is officially on the horizon.

Major League Baseball announced the first Spring Training workout dates for all 30 of its clubs on Thursday. Pitchers and catchers for the reigning World Series champion Giants -- along with the Phillies, Pirates and Reds -- will be the first to work out, with a Feb. 19 start date. Thirteen other clubs will work out pitchers and catchers for the first time the following day.
That's right, folks: Just 42 days until the first pitches of the 2015 season are thrown.

The first full-squad workouts will take place on Feb. 24. Those four teams will be joined by the Marlins, White Sox, Indians and Tigers as the first to have their entire team begin working out.

The Phillies will play the University of Tampa on March 1 in the first Spring Training game for any team. Grapefruit and Cactus League play will kick off two days later, with a slate that features five games between big league clubs.

The Twins, Rays and Blue Jays will be the final three clubs to begin working out, with pitchers and catchers set for action on Feb. 23. The Rays and Twins won't go through their first full-squad workouts until Feb. 28, the latest date for any team.

Here's a full breakdown of the initial workout dates for pitchers and catchers for each club (with the first full-squad workout in parentheses).

Thursday, Feb. 19
Cincinnati Reds (Feb. 24)
Philadelphia Phillies (Feb. 24)
Pittsburgh Pirates (Feb. 24)
San Francisco Giants (Feb. 24)

Friday, Feb. 20
Arizona Diamondbacks (Feb. 25)
Baltimore Orioles (Feb. 25)
Chicago Cubs (Feb. 25)
Chicago White Sox (Feb. 24)
Cleveland Indians (Feb. 24)
Detroit Tigers (Feb. 24)
Kansas City Royals (Feb. 25)
Los Angeles Angels (Feb. 25)
Los Angeles Dodgers (Feb. 26)
Miami Marlins (Feb. 24)
Oakland A's (Feb. 25)
St. Louis Cardinals (Feb. 25)
San Diego Padres (Feb. 25)

Saturday, Feb. 21
Atlanta Braves (Feb. 26)
Boston Red Sox (Feb. 25)
Colorado Rockies (Feb. 27)
Houston Astros (Feb. 25)
New York Mets (Feb. 26)
New York Yankees (Feb. 26)
Seattle Mariners (Feb. 25)
Texas Rangers (Feb. 26)
Washington Nationals (Feb. 26)

Sunday, Feb. 22
Milwaukee Brewers (Feb. 26)

Monday, Feb. 23
Minnesota Twins (Feb. 28)
Tampa Bay Rays (Feb. 28)
Toronto Blue Jays (Feb. 27)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to buy a Midre Cummings Pirate jersey, but Captain Hook's words have convinced me to go for a McCutchen jersey instead.

Users who are viewing this thread