What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*2014-15 Hot Stove Thread: The Padres won it I guess (5 Viewers)

Shields is getting four years at the very, very minimum.
I know that he will get a 4 or 5 year deal, but way too much risk for ages 33+. My point would be to offer a higher per year deal for 2-3 years and he gets back on the market after 3 seasons max.
Shields has been as durable and consistent as any pitcher in the game. His PitchFX velocity numbers look remarkably consistent although he seems to be relying more on the cutter now than in his Tampa Bay days.

Aging in his age 33-36/7 seasons is inevitable but I don't think there's necessarily an increased injury risk vs. a 29 or 30 year old. Shields seems mechanically sound and made it through the injury nexus unscathed many years ago.

I think teams unwilling to go more than 2-3 years will get booted pretty quickly.

Going to be weird having Maddon as skipper for the Cubs. I'm used to disliking their manager by default.

I know that he will get a 4 or 5 year deal, but way too much risk for ages 33+. My point would be to offer a higher per year deal for 2-3 years and he gets back on the market after 3 seasons max.
As a 36 yo? I think you get as many years as you can now (if you're Shields) and take your chances with your Washed Up/Last contract in your late 30's.

The Rockies didn't extend a qualifying offer to Franklin Morales but there's still a few more hours until the deadline

Shields has been as durable and consistent as any pitcher in the game. His PitchFX velocity numbers look remarkably consistent although he seems to be relying more on the cutter now than in his Tampa Bay days.

Aging in his age 33-36/7 seasons is inevitable but I don't think there's necessarily an increased injury risk vs. a 29 or 30 year old. Shields seems mechanically sound and made it through the injury nexus unscathed many years ago.

I think teams unwilling to go more than 2-3 years will get booted pretty quickly.
as long as he doesnt have to pitch any big games.

Bad ClutchScore?

Bad ClutchScore?
its like calling a fat guy tiny

Liriano gets one too. I think Pittsburgh's gotta be holding out hope that he doesn't take it, right?
Yeah MLBTR podcast was talking about this and they thought Pirates should, but wouldn't make the offer. Given how tight they are, I think they'd poop themselves if he took it.

Liriano gets one too. I think Pittsburgh's gotta be holding out hope that he doesn't take it, right?
Yeah MLBTR podcast was talking about this and they thought Pirates should, but wouldn't make the offer. Given how tight they are, I think they'd poop themselves if he took it.
I think there is zero chance he takes it. I think there is a small chance he good get a real offer from Pittsburgh though.

The confetti you see in the sky is coming from Philadelphia as AJ Burnett turns down his $12.5mm player option.

Rockies make $15.3m QO to Cuddyer.

:crazy:
so much for that idea, wow.
Does he take that deal? Lessons learned from Stephen Drew apply here IMO.
Cuddyer will be 36 by opening day and only appeared in 49 games in 2014. Even without the compensation pick, he was likely only going to get a one year deal from another club--and certainly not for $15.3M. There's also no better place than Coors Field for him to regain some of his value.

Rockies make $15.3m QO to Cuddyer.

:crazy:
so much for that idea, wow.
Does he take that deal? Lessons learned from Stephen Drew apply here IMO.
Cuddyer will be 36 by opening day and only appeared in 49 games in 2014. Even without the compensation pick, he was likely only going to get a one year deal from another club--and certainly not for $15.3M. There's also no better place than Coors Field for him to regain some of his value.
Cuddyer is a fan favorite and I think there was mutual interest in him returning. Still seems like a dumb move when they probably could have paid him that for two years.

No Tampa coaches are coming with Maddon to Chicago. Chris Bosio was the only current Cubs coach at today's press conference. He is almost certain to stay. He's turned around almost every reclamation project who has come to town.

The Cubs just recently hired a new hitting coach. It would be strange if they fired him, and spent next season paying a manager and hitting coach not to work.

Wow, thought Maddon would bring Martinez and Hickey with him.
Martinez is still in the running to replace Maddon in TB.

Pitching coaches rarely become managers for some reason. Bud Black, Roger Craig, Bob Lemon and George Bamberger are the only ones who come to mind and three of those guys go quite a ways back.

Wow, thought Maddon would bring Martinez and Hickey with him.
They're under contract. Maddon doesn't have the option to take them.

If Martinez doesn't get the manager gig, the belief is the org will let him go to Chicago.

FA Profile of Cuddyer at MLBTR. Their author predicted a 22mm, 2 year contract.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/10/free-agent-profile-michael-cuddyer.html
Like others have said, I hope he doesn't get into a car accident racing to the office to sign the QO.It would have been off-brand for the Cardinals to sign a guy like Cuddyer to be a bench player, but IMO he would have been a great fit to play 1B against lefties, LF when Holliday gets hurt, and the occasional day in RF. Pretty much the role Allen Craig would have had with the team next year of they hadn't traded for Lackey.

FA Profile of Cuddyer at MLBTR. Their author predicted a 22mm, 2 year contract.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/10/free-agent-profile-michael-cuddyer.html
Like others have said, I hope he doesn't get into a car accident racing to the office to sign the QO.It would have been off-brand for the Cardinals to sign a guy like Cuddyer to be a bench player, but IMO he would have been a great fit to play 1B against lefties, LF when Holliday gets hurt, and the occasional day in RF. Pretty much the role Allen Craig would have had with the team next year of they hadn't traded for Lackey.
Word on the street is that Ty Wigginton is ready to fill that role.

A's sign reliever Taylor Thompson from the White Sox off waivers. Died on the vine during his MLB cup of coffee and didn't have a wonderful 2014 in terms of his AAA peripherals, but he looks like he has some promise to be somewhat useful, even at 27. Fasterball/slider/splitter. Bryan Anderson © outrighted.

The A's have signed a Mets OF and a White Sox RP in the past couple of days. These have been two of the biggest positional dumpster fires of the past few years. The A's have been pretty good at finding organizational depth though.

And a reliever from the 'Stros.

No sense in not getting to work on the back of the roster, I suppose. Those seats in Nashville aren't going to fill themselves.

The good people of the Music City will be p###ed off when they find out that Daric Barton is a free agent.

The Angels paid an $8M bonus to 20 year old Cuban 3B Roberto Baldoquin. I don't understand the new rules for signing young international free agents but $8M is a big lump sum for a guy whose last team was Las Tunas.

Alfonso Soriano announced his retirement.

As a Cubs fan, I believe he got way too much crap in Chicago.

Users who are viewing this thread