What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*2014-15 Hot Stove Thread: The Padres won it I guess (3 Viewers)

The Angels paid an $8M bonus to 20 year old Cuban 3B Roberto Baldoquin. I don't understand the new rules for signing young international free agents but $8M is a big lump sum for a guy whose last team was Las Tunas.
Cubans don't generally count toward the international signing budget. I think if they're especially young they may, but guys like Cespedes, Abreu and Puig were just normal free agents

The Angels paid an $8M bonus to 20 year old Cuban 3B Roberto Baldoquin. I don't understand the new rules for signing young international free agents but $8M is a big lump sum for a guy whose last team was Las Tunas.
Cubans don't generally count toward the international signing budget. I think if they're especially young they may, but guys like Cespedes, Abreu and Puig were just normal free agents
The new rule is that international players age 23 or older who have spent five seasons playing in an MLB-recognized foreign professional league don't count against the international signing bonus pool.

Baldoquin is too young to qualify so he will consume the Anaheims' entire pool for this year. They'll also be subject to a tax on the overage vs. their allowance and be limited in the amount they can spend on a single player for the next two years.

Eephus said:
dparker713 said:
Eephus said:
The new rule is that international players age 23 or older who have spent five seasons playing in an MLB-recognized foreign professional league don't count against the international signing bonus pool.

Baldoquin is too young to qualify so he will consume the Anaheims' entire pool for this year. They'll also be subject to a tax on the overage vs. their allowance and be limited in the amount they can spend on a single player for the next two years.
Can the kid play?

Raider Nation said:
This 30 for 30 about the Hernandez brothers defecting from Cuba is ####ing amazing.
Great stuff. They were discussing Livan's "masterpiece" in game 5 of the NLCS, but I just kept thinking I could have struck out 10 with the strike zone he was working with.

Then I read this on wiki:

This particular game is remembered for the controversy surrounding an unusually wide strike zone given to Hernández, by umpire Eric Gregg. Gregg's strike zone would go down in history as one of the worst jobs of umpiring in baseball history, and even made ESPN's top ten worst examples of refereeing in any sport
I couldn't believe some of the pitches he was calling strikes.

Annyong said:
Alfonso Soriano announced his retirement.

As a Cubs fan, I believe he got way too much crap in Chicago.
Had a nice career. 412 HR, SLG .500

Avergaed 172 hits and 34 HR per 162 games.

The Anaheims made two minor moves. They traded Korean God of Walks Hank Conger to Houston for pitcher Nick Tropeano, who had a very decent PCL season. California also acquired ambidextrous-ish pitcher Cesar Ramos from Tampa for younger arm Mark Sappington.

The Anaheims made two minor moves. They traded Korean God of Walks Hank Conger to Houston for pitcher Nick Tropeano, who had a very decent PCL season. California also acquired ambidextrous-ish pitcher Cesar Ramos from Tampa for younger arm Mark Sappington.
Very interesting analysis of Nick Tropeano's (poor) mechanics
He hasn't had a bad minor league career, you wonder if a team could actually have something with him if they got all of these issues sorted out.

I don't think much of Di Poto, but the Angels got Grilli back up and running quickly as an effective big-league pitcher, you wonder if they see something similar with Tropeano.

The A's are apparently not interested in trading Josh Donaldson. Per Ken Rosenthal.

:confused:
And they're not bringing Barton back? Someone has kidnapped Beane.
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't understand why trading Donaldson is even worth a mention. He's their best player and is cost controlled for the next four years. There's no obvious successor in the farm system. Renato Nunez is two years away and has defense and contact issues. Callaspo and Lowrie are both free agents.

The A's organization is always interesting. They've really depleted their prospects warehouse in the past year in order to make their 12 inning playoff run. There still is talent in Oakland but the lack of depth is showing. Beane & Co. have their work cut out for them.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't understand why trading Donaldson is even worth a mention.
I didn't either.

I don't think depth is a big issue, relatively speaking. I think the only homegrown draftee who made a meaningful contribution last year was Sonny Gray. I'm not sure if the minor league prospects that they're drafting have been misaligned with what Beane's looking for for the big club, or if it just makes more sense in the long run to trade on a prospect's promise before he hits the bigs.

2B and SS are gaps, but not much else. There are teams with double the payroll of Oakland that have more holes. And Oakland has been so assiduous in building (fairly inexpensive) depth that if someone flops or gets injured, chances are there's going to be a reasonable alternative.

I could foresee Samardjiza getting dealt this off-season, after all there's nil chance of him re-signing with Oakland after next year and a team would probably surrender a decent haul for a 3.5-4 WAR pitcher. Or they ride him out and collect the compensatory pick after next year.

The A's are apparently not interested in trading Josh Donaldson. Per Ken Rosenthal.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't understand why trading Donaldson is even worth a mention. He's their best player and is cost controlled for the next four years. There's no obvious successor in the farm system. Renato Nunez is two years away and has defense and contact issues. Callaspo and Lowrie are both free agents.

The A's organization is always interesting. They've really depleted their prospects warehouse in the past year in order to make their 12 inning playoff run. There still is talent in Oakland but the lack of depth is showing. Beane & Co. have their work cut out for them.
It is a mention because Vasgerjian and Reynolds speculated on Hot Stove on MLB Network that perhaps one route for the A's would be to blow up the team they have now and trade Samardzija and other players who had value in the market and go young and remake the club (don't shoot the messenger I didn't suggest this but it led to discussion of whether Oakland would trade Donaldson)

Which I doubt they would do in almost any scenario

It is a mention because Vasgerjian and Reynolds speculated on Hot Stove on MLB Network that perhaps one route for the A's would be to blow up the team they have now and trade Samardzija and other players who had value in the market and go young and remake the club (don't shoot the messenger I didn't suggest this but it led to discussion of whether Oakland would trade Donaldson)

Yeah, I think they're too close to blow it up. Maybe if they're floundering at the halfway mark or maybe next off-season, but I think they're going to attempt to make a real run at it in 2015. Kazmir and Samardjiza are both around for another year, no sense in tearing it down now.

Well, I know the Yankees this past season decided to ignore all limitations and the tax. They just signed basically everyone they wanted. They'll mostly be out of the market for the next two years. It hardly seems worth it for a single prospect, but if its part of an overall strategy it could well pay off.

Good Posting Judge said:
Captain Hook said:

Yeah, I think they're too close to blow it up. Maybe if they're floundering at the halfway mark or maybe next off-season, but I think they're going to attempt to make a real run at it in 2015. Kazmir and Samardjiza are both around for another year, no sense in tearing it down now.
Reynolds' thinking seems entirely outdated. Just being around .500 level talent is enough to go for it in any given year. A couple of breaks here or there and you're suddenly leading the playoff race in July. And considering we just had two teams in the WS that hadn't even won 90 games this year, I think you'll be seeing fewer and fewer teams blowing things up to rebuild in the offseason.

I don't know how you would blow up a team like Oakland. They're very cheap and relatively young with no long-term commitments other than Doolittle's cost-effective deal. The only semi-bad contract they have is Crisp's but he can easily be worth $11M if he rebounds at age 35.

It's also hard for the Oaklands to bottom out because of their status in a two team market. They have to field a competitive squad to remain relevant in the Bay Area.

Chris B. Young to the Yankees, presumably to replace Ichiro. He's a decent OF4 option even though his career arc took a shallow turn.

Dave Cameron predicts the destinations of the Top 55 free agents:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2015-free-agent-predictions/
He says Cuddyer will sign with SEA for 3/27. Gotta think he can find a better deal next year than a 2/12 if he just takes the QO from COL.

He predicts Headley will get 4/60. If that is the going rate, I would bet the Red Sox would much. much prefer him to Panda for his projected 6/110.
I get the feeling that Cherington isn't as SABR-inclined as his predecessor. Yoenis? Joe Kelly?

Dave Cameron predicts the destinations of the Top 55 free agents:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2015-free-agent-predictions/
He says Cuddyer will sign with SEA for 3/27. Gotta think he can find a better deal next year than a 2/12 if he just takes the QO from COL.

He predicts Headley will get 4/60. If that is the going rate, I would bet the Red Sox would much. much prefer him to Panda for his projected 6/110.
I get the feeling that Cherington isn't as SABR-inclined as his predecessor. Yoenis? Joe Kelly?
Meh. Both those guys were acquired at deadline deals when we have no way of knowing who actually was available for two soon to be free agents.

They have to field a competitive squad to remain relevant in the Bay Area.
This is a pretty silly post. The die have been cast in terms of relevance ever since Walter Haas decided to be neighborly and Magowan and Co. did not respond in kind. The A's could trade Crisp for Mike Trout or they could trade him for Ben Revere, it doesn't alter the fact that one team has what's considered a nice stadium, and the other most certainly does not.

Good Posting Judge said:
They have to field a competitive squad to remain relevant in the Bay Area.
This is a pretty silly post. The die have been cast in terms of relevance ever since Walter Haas decided to be neighborly and Magowan and Co. did not respond in kind. The A's could trade Crisp for Mike Trout or they could trade him for Ben Revere, it doesn't alter the fact that one team has what's considered a nice stadium, and the other most certainly does not.
I don't think the territorial rights have anything to do with the current state, particularly since the Coliseum lease issue seems to be resolved for the time being.

The Giants are the defending world champs again and operate a marketing juggernaut. They typically outdraw the Oaklands by 1-1.5M/yr, even when the A's field a better team. The nice stadium certainly is a factor as does the position of SF vs. Oakland in the local economy.

The point of my silly post was that the A's have less ability than a typical single market club to tank a year in order to restock their organization. They really don't need to with their returning talent. If the Twins or Rockies bottom out, they don't have worry about their casual fans taking BART to a different stadium or the local news cutting their highlights out of the broadcast. But that is the reality of the A's situation.

Cuddyer to the Mets on a two-year contract. Woah. :o

https://twitter.com/Mets/status/531908778804137985/photo/1

ETA: They lose the 15th pick in the draft for signing him.
I assume they're gonna sign another QO free agent based on a plan to contend immediately, which would make it less awful. I think the Mets could surprise next year. Braves don't have any obvious road to improve significantly on their 79 win season, Phillies are the Phillies, Marlins are probably not there yet since Jose Fernandez won't be back for a while.

I don't like it, but I can see where they're going ... assuming they do make a much bigger free agent move.

Cuddyer to the Mets on a two-year contract. Woah. :o

https://twitter.com/Mets/status/531908778804137985/photo/1

ETA: They lose the 15th pick in the draft for signing him.
I assume they're gonna sign another QO free agent based on a plan to contend immediately, which would make it less awful. I think the Mets could surprise next year. Braves don't have any obvious road to improve significantly on their 79 win season, Phillies are the Phillies, Marlins are probably not there yet since Jose Fernandez won't be back for a while.

I don't like it, but I can see where they're going ... assuming they do make a much bigger free agent move.
I guess but their only obvious vacancy now is at SS (assuming they're going to stand pat with their rotation).

Are they gonna take two cracks at it? I dunno, call me crazy, but building a more sustainable team with young high-upside players with six years of team control seems like a better route.

Are they gonna take two cracks at it? I dunno, call me crazy, but building a more sustainable team with young high-upside players with six years of team control seems like a better route.
I'm with you. Not what I would've done, or even close, especially considering Cuddyer's age and his defense. But there is a bit of an opportunity over the next year or two before the Phils and Braves regroup. Hell, they finished second in the division last year even without Harvey. 17 games back, but second nonetheless. They're in surprisingly semi-decent shape in the near term.

Maybe they'll platoon him with Duda and give themselves 900+ OPS at 1B?

As a Mets fan, I don't love it but I understand it. They were going to need to trade young talent for an OF bat and better to keep the kids a year away than whatever kid would have come at #15 and taken 3 or 4 years to come up.

Question mark?

Users who are viewing this thread