What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL NEW YORK JETS 2012 OFFSEASON THREAD*** (3 Viewers)

Overreaction begins after Tebow throws practice picks

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

The media was allowed to watch the Jets' first OTA practice on Thursday. The overreaction to what they saw came soon thereafter.

Gary Myers

@garymyersNYDN

Tebow picked off by Bart Scott and Yeremiah Bell about 2 minutes apart in OTAs. Sanchez lengthening lead in Jets QB derby.

Oh boy. Maybe it's just because I live in New York and follow so many of the great Jets beat writers, but I read about Tebow's practice struggles about ten times in two minutes. (I also learned that Urban Meyer was in the house watching.) ATL has talked about the dangers of drawing too many conclusions from OTAs, and that notion really applies when we try to draw conclusion from the first 30 minutes of the offseason.If you think the overreaction is bad now, just wait until training camp or the regular season. (Mark Sanchez knows what we are talking about.)

Soon after the Tebow interception spree breaking news broke, the Jets switched to special teams drills. I then learned ten times that Tebow was heavily involved. We give Rich Cimini credit for the right sarcastic tone in evaluating the move:

Rich Cimini

@RichCimini

Tebow looks great covering punts. A natural born personal protector. #Jets

UPDATE: Your final Tebow vs. Sanchez Day 1 overreaction stats:
Jenny Vrentas

@JennyVrentas

By an unofficial count, Sanchez took 17 snaps in 11-on-11s, 7-for-14 with a TD. Tebow took 9 snaps, 6-for-10. #nyj

Jets' Rex Ryan: Mark Sanchez's arm 'looks stronger'

By Dan Hanzus

Writer

New York Jets coach Rex Ryan has hit that level of weight loss where he's starting to resemble a different person.

The blue eyes and impossibly white teeth are still there, but everything else has been streamlined -- from the shape of his face, to the size of his arms, to the slope of his shoulders. Standing at the podium at Florham Park, Ryan looks (quite literally) like half the man he used to be.

Dropping 90 pounds can have this effect, but Ryan seems instantly familiar once he opens his mouth: Eternally confident in his players, fully in belief of his operation.

On Thursday, Ryan hit on a number of topics after the Jets' OTA session.

On Mark Sanchez, who looked sharp in drills:

"This kid is in great shape, as are most of our guys. I just think he's stronger. Obviously, going into his fourth year, he's seen a lot of different things, but that arm, it looks stronger to me. ... He's really zipping it. He's also throwing with touch and things. I really like the way he is throwing the football."

On whether Tim Tebow's presence on the field -- he struggled as QB -- drives Sanchez to be better:

"You probably have to ask Mark. We're excited Tim Tebow is here. I think those two guys, they're good teammates, they're really good teammates, they're good for each other and good for our football team in general. They're both very competitive guys, and that's great. At the end of the day we want 53 great competitors and good teammates, and I think we’ll have that this year."

On Tebow's presence on the punt team:

"They're going to line up, and they're going to come after Tebow. I can tell you one guy that's not afraid of it, and that's Tim Tebow. And I'm not afraid of it, either. What he can help us with, being that personal protector on the punt team, is 'Are you sure you really want to rush that punt?' If it is 4th-and-6 or 7, are you sure you really want to rush it, because we may fake it. (Special teams coach Mike Westhoff) is crazy enough to fake it.

"We had Brad Smith. Did you really want to rush when Brad Smith was your personal protector, a guy that can throw it? Tim gives you that inside running presence, outside running presence, he can throw it. And -- by the way -- he'll run. He's a football player, we said it a long time ago. This guy is an excellent football player, a great competitor, and I have a feeling he'll run down and tackle somebody."

On how last year's 8-8 disappointment carries over to this year's team:

"Not being in the playoffs, I think, stung everybody, and motivated us, drives us. And Sanchez, I think, that is the greatest motivator there is. Hungry for being in the postseason, I think, is the biggest driving force we have."

On Tebow's presence on the punt team:

"They're going to line up, and they're going to come after Tebow. I can tell you one guy that's not afraid of it, and that's Tim Tebow. And I'm not afraid of it, either. What he can help us with, being that personal protector on the punt team, is 'Are you sure you really want to rush that punt?' If it is 4th-and-6 or 7, are you sure you really want to rush it, because we may fake it. (Special teams coach Mike Westhoff) is crazy enough to fake it.

"We had Brad Smith. Did you really want to rush when Brad Smith was your personal protector, a guy that can throw it? Tim gives you that inside running presence, outside running presence, he can throw it. And -- by the way -- he'll run. He's a football player, we said it a long time ago. This guy is an excellent football player, a great competitor, and I have a feeling he'll run down and tackle somebody."
I'm starting to get a feeling that Tebow is going to get injured on some sort of trick play sooner rather than later, and back to the Pre-Tebow Jets we go for a chunk of the season. I get a little uneasy when there's so much talk of one player doing all of this and all of that....

I'm starting to get a feeling that Tebow is going to get injured on some sort of trick play sooner rather than later, and back to the Pre-Tebow Jets we go for a chunk of the season. I get a little uneasy when there's so much talk of one player doing all of this and all of that....
1st off the Jets are still pre-Tebow. Sanchez owns this job. 2nd, Tebow isn't getting injured playing specials. He's built like a brick #### house.

Mark Sanchez marvels at Tim Tebow's muscles

By Dan Hanzus

Writer

Mark Sanchez has never been awestruck by the presence of Tim Tebow at the New York Jets facilities. Well, almost never.

"After we traded for Tim, I'm in the weight room, feeling good, feeling big, thick, really in shape," Sanchez recently told Yahoo! Sports. "I'm doing pull-ups with extra weight on. I'm doing squats, the whole thing. Then here comes Tim, The Incredible Hulk.

"I'm doing the pull ups with the extra weight and then he does them with two kettle bells and he just powers through them. He's just an ox. He was awesome and I'm like, 'OK, I'm not at that level.' It was funny. He's just a monster. He has been a really great guy to be around."

Weight-room swagger aside, Sanchez doesn't sound like a man who's been shaken by Tebow's arrival, nor should he. Snap counts in OTAs have proven that Sanchez remains the unquestioned starter, and any speculation about a quarterback controversy seems silly ... at least for now.

In an enlightening profile by Jason Cole, Sanchez discussed a number of topics about his past, present and future in New York:

On working with former Jets QB Chad Pennington:

"It made a grand slam, (with) him being one of the most cerebral quarterbacks in the game the past few years, up there with Peyton Manning. (He's) a great decision-maker, knows when to throw the ball away, knows when to check it down, knows when to take a sack, call a timeout, how to run a two-minute drill. He knows how to save turnovers, and that's key to me. If we save four or five turnovers last season, we're looking at a different season, and a different last three games, and who knows?"

On his struggles with mechanics last season:

"I took a couple of shots early in the season and I wasn't able to lift as hard during the season as I wanted to. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Olympic lifter. But at the same time, you need some strength. By the end of the season, I was down to 218-220 pounds and I'm usually 225-230 pounds plus. I just didn't have it. I was trying to throw too much with just my arm and my upper body, I wasn't using my legs enough, and I just wasn't as sound, physically, as I should be, and it showed."

On the Jets' interest in Peyton Manning and the trade for Tebow:

"The whole Peyton thing was a lot bigger than I really think it was supposed to be because my agent and my brother were talking to the team about my contract the whole time while that was going on. The team was saying , 'We're not going after (Manning).' Obviously, the team doesn't always show its hand all the time. They're not going to say everything they're doing. Still, I knew in the back of my mind that the contract was getting done, so I had that in my back pocket, fine. Then the trade for Tebow happened and I just didn't really have time to think about it or worry about it."

On the New York nightlife, and having his behavior compared to Tebow:

"I have to make sure what I'm doing is the best thing for this team on and off the field. Does it have to be exactly what Tim does? No. Sometimes? Yeah, maybe. But I have to be comfortable that what I'm doing is protecting the team and then I have to ignore the noise. Lately, there is a lot of noise. But it's a good test. It really is. This is unique."

Shonn Greene expects to play big role in Jets' offense

By Brian McIntyre

New York Jets running back Shonn Greene admits to briefly wondering if newly-acquired quarterback Tim Tebow would take some his carries, but has put those thoughts behind him and expects to carry a heavier load in 2012, writes Ben Shpigel of the New York Times.

"I did, I did,” Greene said during last week's OTAs. "But then again, you can’t dwell on stuff like that. There’s going to be plenty of carries to go around."

After playing behind Thomas Jones as a rookie and then splitting carries with LaDainian Tomlinson in 2010, Greene set career-highs with 253 rushing attempts for 1,054 yards and six touchdowns last season. More importantly, Greene improved his ball security, fumbling just once (which was recovered by D'Brickashaw Ferguson) after putting the ball on the turf six times over his first two seasons in the league. The Jets are planning to get back to (and stick with) a "Ground and Pound" running game under new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano, with Greene leading the way.

"We’re going to run that to death until someone stops us and I think that’s the type of back I am," Greene said.

Sparano was the head coach with the Miami Dolphins when the "Wildcat" offense took off in 2008. With the arrival of Tebow, who has 887 rushing yards and 12 touchdowns in 23 games the last two seasons, the "Wildcat" will be use with regularity, but Sparano likes what Greene brings to the table on those power running plays.

"He gets his shoulders squared to the line of scrimmage, he breaks tackles and he runs at the right pad level," Sparano said. "To me, he has all the qualities I look for."

OTA observations: Coples, Hill shine

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Thoughts on the Jets' second OTA session open to the media:

1. For those who need their quarterback fix, here you go: Mark Sanchez was 7-for-14 in team drills, including an unsuccessful two-minute drill at the end of practice. Tim Tebow was 1-for-4, including a 50-yard bomb to WR Stephen Hill. Neither quarterback had an interception. In 7-on-7 drills (in the red zone), Sanchez was 5-for-6, with two TDs; Tebow was 4-for-5, with one TD. The bottom line is, neither quarterback shined. Tebow, in particular, seemed tentative with his reads, especially in the red zone. In fairness to the quarterbacks, it should be mentioned they had to work with a skeleton receiving corps on a semi-windy day.

2. Hill continues to impress. We know he's big and we know he's fast, but he also demonstrated the ability the beat jams at the line of scrimmage. A lot of rookies struggle with that aspect of the job. Actually, Rex Ryan candidly admitted he expected Hill to have trouble with press coverage, but the second-round pick has surprised him. Obviously, these aren't full-contact practices, so he isn't getting the full brunt of life as an NFL receiver, but Hill has met the early challenges. He beat CB Kyle Wilson on a 50-yard bomb and he caught a quick-out on CB Darrelle Revis during the two-minute drill.

3. No. 1 pick Quinton Coples, working with the starting unit, had a productive day. He "sacked" Sanchez and also batted down a pass at the line. Said Ryan: "Coples looks like he's killing it pretty good." This was a boom-or-bust pick for the Jets. So far, it's a lot closer to boom than bust.

4. Rookie LB Demario Davis (third-round pick), whom the Jets envision as a "coverage" linebacker, worked in the first-team nickel package. He has the athleticism to drop into coverage, but his inexperience shows up. He got burned on a wheel route by RB Joe McKnight, who was all alone in the end zone on the final play of a two-minute drive -- and dropped the ball. Davis got lucky -- this time.

5. OC Tony Sparano is constantly preaching tempo, tempo, tempo in practice. He wants the offense in and out of the huddle ASAP. He wants the offense to get accustomed to a quick pace because, in theory, it should make it easier in games. He also believes it helps the learning process -- less time to digest the play call. That means they have to know it immediately, no excuses.

6. Maybe it's just me, but the defense looks faster than last year. Maybe the "dinosaur" days have gone the way of ... well, the dinosaur.

Darrelle Revis' deal could be extended in holdout

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

The way New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis looks at it, things can't get any worse for him than last time he held out of training camp.

“I don’t know if you looked at my Twitter,” he told Gary Myers of the New York Daily News last weekend. “I was getting death threats and everything. I’m getting stuff now on Twitter."

Revis uses that as proof that he isn't worried about the public backlash if he held out of training camp again. Here's the thing: Revis would be insane to skip mandatory work and we don't think he'll do it.

Myers points out that the Jets can extend Revis' contract for three extra years at "modest numbers" if he holds out of camp. That is huge leverage. That makes this Revis' entire "I'm not sure about training camp" theme sound like an empty threat.

The Jets knew this day was possibly coming when they frontloaded his deal. They prepared for it. If Revis gets to the end of his contract, they can't franchise him. That makes next year the key offseason for a new Revis deal.

He can huff and puff about possibly not showing up for work, but he doesn't have the leverage this time around.

Tim Tebow, Mark Sanchez struggle at OTAs

By Marc Sessler

Writer

With the media on hand to watch the New York Jets get down to business during Thursday's OTA session, the duel between Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow was shoved under the electron microscope -- again.

We've been here before. We've warned you not to read into this. Monitoring completion percentage on the practice field in June is a dangerous game, but here we are -- sucked back in. And the picture isn't pretty:

Rich Cimini

@RichCimini

Practice ending: Putting it kindly, the defense dominated the offense. Not a good day for Sanchez (2 INTs) or Tebow. #Jets

Cimini chronicled Sanchez's first interception to defensive back Kyle Wilson and his second to safety Yeremiah Bell.Tebow had troubles of his own, but poured water on any sense of conflict between the quarterbacks: "I think we just have a great relationship and I think we both want to get better as football players, as quarterbacks, and find a way to help this team win football games. That's what it's about."

Not on Thursday. Tebow and Sanchez started out 0-for-4 with a pair of sacks before Sanchez completed a pass to receiver Santonio Holmes. Both quarterbacks struggled on a day belonging to the defense:

Rich Cimini

@RichCimini

Jets offense looks terrible today, overwhelmed by blitzing. Sparano in ornery mood. #Jets

Rex Ryan found a way to spin the madness, telling reporters his defense has the look of a "special" group, saying it's the "deepest we've been."Ryan, historically, isn't one to overstate the matter. We'll take his word on this.

Santonio Holmes upset with receiving too many reps

By Brian McIntyre NFL.com

Santonio Holmes has missed most of the New York Jets' organized team activities to participate in a USO-sponsored trip to visit the troops stationed in Germany. Back in Florham Park, New Jersey, this week, Holmes pulled himself out of today's practice and had what Rich Cimini of ESPN New York described as a "mini-meltdown".

According to Cimini, Holmes was scheduled to take 35 practice reps, but packed it in after taking less than 25. Holmes tossed helmet and exchanged words with first-year receivers coach Sanjay Lal before seeking attention from a trainer.

"I was talking to the coach, letting him understand it was too many reps today," Holmes said. "I've been gone for a while, so I can't be at full tempo like the rest of the guys and where they want us to be at.

"I'm at OTA No. 5. ... I've got a lot of catching up to do for myself."

Thursday was the final OTA practice on the Jets' offseason schedule, but the team will conduct a mandatory minicamp in the middle of next week (June 12-14). Holmes is also planning to attend the "Jets West" passing camp in Southern California that quarterback Mark Sanchez has organized for late June or early July.

Rex Ryan: Tebow will only be 'running with the twos'

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

New York Jets coach Rex Ryan insists that his team is not holding a quarterback competition. His actions support those claims.

Ryan indicated Tuesday before the team's first mandatory minicamp practice that Tim Tebow will be "running with the twos" throughout minicamp. Mark Sanchez is the team's starter, and Ryan has gone out of his way to pump him up this offseason. (Even more than Ryan goes out of his way to pump everyone up).

"I like the way Mark has come back," Ryan said during a news conference. "I think Sanchez has really been impressive. Obviously, you see it on the field, but I think it's the other things that maybe we don't see which is in the class room which I think he's been absolutely tremendous."

Sanchez might have struggled last year, however, he did lead the Jets to their first OTA championship.

UPDATE:

Manish Mehta

@TheJetsStream

Final 11on11 stats for Sanchez: 2 for 8, sacked 3 times in 21 snaps. #nyj

While we're breaking Jets news that seems more important mainly because it's June, here were a few more nuggets from Ryan:•Darrelle Revis was in attendance at practice, as expected. Any potential holdout will have to wait until camp.

•Santonio Holmes is bothered by a tight hamstring, so he will be limited in camp this week. (Translation: Holmes' complaints last week worked perfectly.)

•Safety LaRon Landry is with the team, but he's not able to practice because of his never-ending Achilles injury.

I cannot think of an athlete who is more coddled than Sanchize. What the heck is Rex thinking with him? He never had to earn anything and he simply hasn't improved in the past few seasons.

Mark Sanchez struggles with accuracy at minicamp

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

We've had a little fun the last two months with all the over-analysis of the Mark Sanchez-Tim Tebow "battle" during the New York Jets' OTA season.

So we may as well cap things off with one final breakdown.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News has your final New York Jets minicamp stats. Sanchez got all the starter snaps.

Manish Mehta

@TheJetsStream

Final mini-camp stats: Mark Sanchez went 10 for 27 (37%) in 49 first-tm snaps. Tim Tebow went 11 for 17 (64.7%) w/1 fumble in 30 snaps #nyj

Hmmm. We're really trying not to draw any conclusions from this. Still trying. Still .... eh, forget it.No matter what Rex Ryan says publicly, the fact his first-team offense completed less than 40% of its passes when the team wasn't even in pads is going to drive the offensive coaches crazy. That's the type of trend that could create a real quarterback competition in August.

And with that, our Jets over-analysis series will take the next six weeks off. Rest up.

Braylon Edwards reportedly won't reunite with Jets

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

The New York Jets left the door open throughout the offseason for a possible reunion with Braylon Edwards. After further consideration, that door appears to be shut.

The New York Post reported Monday that the Jets have ruled out bringing back Edwards. The team wanted to see how its wide receiver group looked in organized team activities and minicamp. Coaches apparently liked what they saw.

Santonio Holmes is locked in as the team's No. 1 receiver. Second-round pick Stephen Hill, slot receiver Jeremy Kerley and former Oakland Raider Chaz Schilens are next in line. The biggest question with Edwards remains his health. He was a productive player for the Jets just two years ago, but he is coming off a lost season and a knee injury.

The Jets are essentially choosing Schilens over Edwards. In four seasons with the Raiders, Schilens struggled to stay healthy and never gained more than 400 yards receiving. And yet the Jets would rather have him than bring back Edwards.

Dustin Keller won't get a new contract from the Jets

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

We heard early in the offseason that the Jets and tight end Dustin Keller had preliminary contract talks. Keller has spoken openly about hoping for a new deal.

Don't expect talks to progress any further, at least not this year.

Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com reports that the Jets have no plans to extend Keller's deal in 2012. The team has signed four of their six first-round picks between 2006-2009 to new deals. Vernon Gholston is one of the unlucky two. Keller is the other.

It's easy to see why the Jets haven't gone crazy trying to extend Keller. He's been good, not great. He has potential, but he hasn't fully realized it. He would make a lot on the open market. Good, not great players usually get great contracts.

Running back Shonn Greene and guard Brandon Moore are also on the last year of their contracts. Moore could take priority over Keller. The team has the franchise tag at its disposal for Keller, which may not be a bad solution for a player they are only comfortable giving big bucks to on a year-by-year basis.

Santonio Holmes attention surprises Jets coach

By Brian McIntyre NFL.com

New York Jets wide receiver Santonio Holmes made waves less than two weeks ago when he cut short his participation in the team's final OTA practice and had what was reported as a "mini-meltdown" that included an exchange with first-year receivers coach Sanjay Lal.

Holmes had missed most of the team's OTAs to take part in a USO tour in Germany and felt like he was being pushed a bit too hard in his first practice back with the team. Since Holmes has been a lightning rod for criticism, from both the media and his teammates, during and after the team's disappointing 8-8 season in 2011, any appearance of a temper tantrum from him was going to be a big deal.

Jets head coach Rex Ryan dismissed the incident at the time, and Lal now has done the same, expressing surprise that Holmes pulling himself out of a voluntary practice was deemed newsworthy.

"Honestly, it was complete shock to me that this was being reported,” Lal said, according to a Monday report from Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. "Every day in every practice, I make it a point to tell the receivers -- because they run so much -- you have to keep them healthy. There’s an open book in our room: If you feel any muscle issue, we’re going to err on the side of caution, especially in June. There’s no point getting hurt in June.

"So, a receiver coming to the coach and saying, ‘Hey, my hammy’s tight. Hold me down to short routes. Can you space out my routes more today?’ That’s done every day. ... So I really didn’t understand what the whole story was about. It was no different than two other receivers on that same day saying the same thing to me."

Though they've only just briefly worked together, Holmes has left a favorable impression on Lal, who described, in detail, a play Holmes made during an OTA practice.

"It was press coverage," Lal said. "'Tone fought the press off. He burst to his exact route depth that he was supposed to get to. He was supposed to get to 15 yards and he was pinpoint accurate on that. He snapped off, made a great catch and turned up field. If you rewind the film, Mark (Sanchez) threw the ball when 'Tone was at 13 yards. 'Tone runs a full two more yards with (Darrelle) Revis all over him and then breaks when the ball was in the air.

" ... For 'Tone to go those extra two yards, fight off and make a great catch -- and for Mark to trust him and throw it when he was at 13 yards -- is huge. … 'Tone doing that solidified every opinion I had of him, positively. And that’s the standard he’ll be held to."

I don't know if David Harris has the sideline to sideline speed to be a true MLB. He works as an ILB because its mostly just about coming forward and filling holes.

Switching to a system that might neutralize your 2nd best player is very risky. They did the same thing a few years back with Vilma (who was probably their best player at the time) when Mangini got there. He was among the league leaders in tackles in the 4-3, but wasn't big enough to hold up as an ILB. They ended up being forced to trade a pro-bowler for pennies on the dollar after 2 years of mediocre production.

I think they're better off sticking with the 3-4 most of the time and just rotating guys. I love Wilkerson and think he needs to be on the field as much as possible, but I see no reason to rush Coples into full time duty year 1. Let him earn his stripes before you chance the whole team just to get him on the field.

Making the leap: Jets' Muhammad Wilkerson steps up

By Marc Sessler

Writer

As we count down the days to training camp, Around the League will examine one player from every team set for a breakout campaign in 2012. First up: the New York Jets.

Muhammad Wilkerson ready to anchor Jets' D

We told you earlier this month about Rex Ryan's plans to employ a four-man front in situations this season, especially inside the AFC East. The 4-3 puts New York's best players on the field and Ryan is counting on second-year defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson to disrupt offenses early and often.

"He's going to be hard to ignore," Rex Ryan told the New York Daily News last week.

New York's coaching staff has hinted at big plans for Wilkerson throughout the offseason. The team's first-round pick in 2011 played in 57.7 percent of the team's snaps as a rookie, and defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said that could jump to 80 percent this season.

"Mo's only going to come off the field when he needs a break," Pettine told the newspaper.

Now, friends, this is Rex Ryan, talking, but the coach sees strains of Darrelle Revis in the 6-foot-4, 315-pound Wilkerson, praising the lineman's attention to detail and obsession with film study: "Every day he competes. (Wilkerson) has some of the ability where I think (he) can take it to that next level. Can he be Revis? I don't know."

Tall order, but Wilkerson will see plenty of action in a rotation with Sione Pouha and Kenrick Ellis. Add Quinton Coples to the mix and the Jets have the makings of a dangerous defensive front that can capably shift between the 3-4 and 4-3 depending on what the offense shows. Wilkerson wasn't a wallflower last season. He showed the Jets he can shoulder the load. They'll lean on him hard in 2012.

Muhammad Wilkerson arrested, OK after car accident

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

New York Jets defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson only suffered "minor injuries" Saturday after the car he was driving struck another vehicle, then overturned, ESPN reported Monday.

The team confirmed it knows Wilkerson was involved in an accident and has been in contact with him, The Star-Ledger reported.

Wilkerson, the Jets' 2011 first-round draft pick, was charged with careless driving and failure to maintain his lane on the Garden State Parkway early Saturday morning. Trooper Christopher Kay, a spokesman for the New Jersey State Police, told The Star-Ledger there was no indication Wilkerson was under the influence of alcohol.

Wilkerson was able to crawl out of his car, a 2011 Dodge Challenger, before being transported to the hospital. None of the 11 people in the 2011 Toyota Sienna that Wilkerson's car struck suffered any serious injuries, according to The Associated Press.

Wilkerson, a promising second-year pro, was out of the hospital and reported to the Jets' facility Monday for an examination. A team spokesman said Wilkerson only required stitches on his forearm, according to The Star-Ledger.

Joe McKnight: I need to 'get it' this season

By Dan Hanzus

Writer

Last season did wonders for the reputation of New York Jets running back Joe McKnight.

Before he emerged as a dangerous kick returner in 2011, McKnight was perhaps best known as The Guy From "Hard Knocks" Who Threw Up A Lot.

McKnight persevered, added McDonald's to his diet, and is now looking to truly integrate himself into the Jets' game plan.

"Yeah, it's a big year. If it I don't get it this year, it will probably be it for me," McKnight told The Star-Ledger in Monday's edition. "That's how I think, I'm not saying (anything). Because it's, what, three years? After the first year, you should really have it down pat. I just have to wait and find out, see how it pans out."

How would we know he was able to "get it?"

"I think if I just keep getting better from last year and convert it over on special teams and offense," he said. "Just keep trying to make plays and keep being productive for the offense and for special teams. I don't want to take a step back and go back to year one, where I am just sitting on the sideline for eight games and just sitting there wasting space on the team."

With LaDainian Tomlinson out of the picture, McKnight should slide up the Jets' depth chart. Shonn Greene is slated to be the starter, but it remains to be seen if the team truly views him as a bell-cow back. If McKnight does "get it," opportunity should be there.

Wayne Hunter looms as weak spot for New York Jets

By Dan Hanzus

Writer

NFL Total Access" continues with its "32 teams in 32 days" series. We decided to score some brownie points by writing an accompanying post each night. We'll focus on one goal that each team needs to accomplish before Week 1.

Heading into the NFL draft, many considered it a foregone conclusion the New York Jets would invest in an early pick to push or replace Wayne Hunter, the right tackle who can conceivably change his name to The Beleaguered Wayne Hunter at this point.

But as each round ticked by, no Hunter Slayer emerged. The Jets waited 203 picks before landing Baylor guard Robert T. Griffin, a raw prospect who won't provide a push at this time.

Rex Ryan once called Hunter "the best backup tackle in the league," but his transition to the starting lineup suggests "backup tackle" could be his ceiling. He gave up 8.5 sacks and 11 penalties, along with 32 QB hits, numbers that still make Mark Sanchez sore.

Hunter was emblematic of the struggles of the Jets' line. According to ESPN's Rich Cimini, the Jets' pass protection fell from allowing one sack for every 19.8 dropbacks to allowing one for every 14.7 in 2011. Jets running backs averaged 3.8 yards per carry this season versus 4.4 in 2010. A year after averaging 148.4 yards per game on the ground, the team hit that mark just twice last season.

Hunter isn't solely to blame for that decline, though he might have been the domino that knocked the rest of the unit down. But if you believe in the high-stakes proclamations of positional coaches, don't expect Hunter to lose his grip on the starting job just yet.

"Until they ship him out of here or shoot me dead in my office, the guy's the starting right tackle," offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo told The Associated Press.

Strong words. But the Jets don't have a lot of options as presently constituted. Former second-round pick Vlad Ducasse is supposed to be Hunter's understudy, but could be on his last legs in the organization. Journeymen and untested prospects sit behind Ducasse.

Add it up, and the Jets have put themselves in a position where they will again depend on Hunter. Using the offseason to push him to a higher level is of utmost importance.

Shonn Greene: Is he the New York Jets' answer at RB?

Though Rex Ryan has toned down his bluster considerably in recent months, the coach has been vocal in his wish to return the New York Jets to the "ground and pound" attack of yesteryear.

Basing your offense on the run and ball control is well and good, but it remains to be seen if the Jets have the personnel to pull it off.

NFL Films tape guru Greg Cosell questions whether Shonn Greene is a running back dynamic enough to carry the load.

"I think that he's a little bit of a one-speed runner," Cosell explained, via Rotoworld, "and I think that's caught up to him a little bit. I think that he's a strong kid. I think he can run downhill. I think he can move the pile because he's got natural strength. But I don't think there's much burst to him. I think he's pretty much of a one-speed runner. And I think those guys eventually struggle."

Greene showed serious promise as a rookie in 2009, exemplified by his game-clinching 53-yard touchdown run against the San Diego Chargers in the divisional playoffs.

But Greene was unable to beat out LaDainian Tomlinson for the starting job in 2010. Despite his first 1,000-yard season in 2011, he was missing the explosion that marked his rookie campaign.

"I think there's no way you can be an elite back or a top-level back if you can't make unblocked defenders miss," Cosell went on. "Because in the run game, there's always going to be a defender that can't be blocked. That's what teams do, defensively. You must be able to make unblocked defenders miss. He's not gonna do that."

Ideally, the Jets will have a second runner -- third-year back Joe McKnight perhaps -- who can turn Greene into a change-of-pace entity. Ultimately, Greene might be a player in the Brandon Jacobs-mold -- capable of being effective, but best in limited doses.

'Faust said:

Though Rex Ryan has toned down his bluster considerably in recent months, the coach has been vocal in his wish to return the New York Jets to the "ground and pound" attack of yesteryear.

Basing your offense on the run and ball control is well and good, but it remains to be seen if the Jets have the personnel to pull it off.

NFL Films tape guru Greg Cosell questions whether Shonn Greene is a running back dynamic enough to carry the load.

"I think that he's a little bit of a one-speed runner," Cosell explained, via Rotoworld, "and I think that's caught up to him a little bit. I think that he's a strong kid. I think he can run downhill. I think he can move the pile because he's got natural strength. But I don't think there's much burst to him. I think he's pretty much of a one-speed runner. And I think those guys eventually struggle."

Greene showed serious promise as a rookie in 2009, exemplified by his game-clinching 53-yard touchdown run against the San Diego Chargers in the divisional playoffs.

But Greene was unable to beat out LaDainian Tomlinson for the starting job in 2010. Despite his first 1,000-yard season in 2011, he was missing the explosion that marked his rookie campaign.

"I think there's no way you can be an elite back or a top-level back if you can't make unblocked defenders miss," Cosell went on. "Because in the run game, there's always going to be a defender that can't be blocked. That's what teams do, defensively. You must be able to make unblocked defenders miss. He's not gonna do that."

Ideally, the Jets will have a second runner -- third-year back Joe McKnight perhaps -- who can turn Greene into a change-of-pace entity. Ultimately, Greene might be a player in the Brandon Jacobs-mold -- capable of being effective, but best in limited doses.
This was the problem last season. The Jets o-line is no longer dominant enough to have a successful running game with a back that has no ability to get yards on his own. While McKnight has his issues as well, he may be better suited to run behind a line that just doesn't open the gaping holes that it used to.

'Faust said:
Shonn Greene: Is he th New York Jets' answer at RB?

This was the problem last season. The Jets o-line is no longer dominant enough to have a successful running game with a back that has no ability to get yards on his own. While McKnight has his issues as well, he may be better suited to run behind a line that just doesn't open the gaping holes that it used to.
Any thoughts on powell?

'Faust said:

The biggest difference between last year's OL and the OL's of the recent past that were considered top 5 in the NFL is....... HEALTH.

last year's OL started off losing their top backup player then was without Mangold for the critical early part of the year where Hunter was still getting his feet wet without an offseason....

Both Guards were badly dinged for much of the year...

I think this OL can be much closer to the better lines of recent past.. I would say last year was rock bottom but, you never know when Injuries will ravage any unit even worse than last year.

Depth is a major issue - But, I also think that they simplified the blocking, responsibilities and calls where we will hopefully see FA's or Backups step in easier than in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this OL can be much closer to the better lines of recent past.. I would say last year was rock bottom
rock bottom and yet 3 of their 5 starters made the AFC Pro Bowl. Besides the injuries, alot of the sacks were on the QB. In general I think Jets fans bash the line because they weren't as awesome as the Faneca/Woody version of 2009. And that's fair. But they are still a top 10 line, if not top 5 in the league. Not many teams have perennial pro bowlers at C and LT.

Bart Scott might see pay cut, lesser New York Jets role

By Brian McIntyre

Around the League writer

"Around the League" is taking a look at each team's salary-cap situation heading into training camp. Next up: The New York Jets.

Adjusted cap number: $130.071 million

Cap room remaining: $6.044 million

Best bargain: Sione Pouha remains one of the more productive interior defensive linemen in the league, posting 58 tackles, including five for a loss, in 2011. The Jets kept the 6-foot-4, 325-pound run-stuffer off the free agent market with a three-year, $15 million contract, which included $4.5 million in total compensation and a miniscule $2.166 million cap number in 2012. The 33-year-old is due $10.5 million over the last two seasons of the deal, though neither of those years are fully guaranteed.

Potential camp casualty: Bart Scott. While Scott remains part of a strong Jets' defense, the bottom line is that he is now a two-down linebacker, playing in less than two-thirds (64.82 percent) of the Jets' defensive snaps last season. Scott's 65 tackles were his lowest total since becoming a full-time starter. In a bit of a surprise considering his reduced role, Scott posted 4.5 sacks, the the second-highest total of his career and the equivalent to his sack totals in the four previous seasons combined. Scott can still play, and brings plenty of much-needed leadership to the table, but might need to reduce his $4.2 million salary to stick around.

Contract issue looming in 2013: Dustin Keller. The former first-round pick out of Purdue has posted career-highs in receptions and receiving yards in back-to-back seasons. His playing-time, and the Jets' post-season success has increased Keller's 2012 base salary by $2 million. Keller will be an unrestricted free agent in the offseason and could be a candidate for a franchise tag that is projected to be worth $5.555 million in 2013.

I think this OL can be much closer to the better lines of recent past.. I would say last year was rock bottom
rock bottom and yet 3 of their 5 starters made the AFC Pro Bowl. Besides the injuries, alot of the sacks were on the QB. In general I think Jets fans bash the line because they weren't as awesome as the Faneca/Woody version of 2009. And that's fair. But they are still a top 10 line, if not top 5 in the league. Not many teams have perennial pro bowlers at C and LT.
Well all know what the Pro Bowl means....And as LT's go Brick is slightly above average - he's no Orlando Pace.But, with Both Guards needing surgery and playing thru injuries, the Center dinged and out a few games and the RT learning on the run, reality was slightly different that just "Jets fans bashing" due to some comparison... The real comparison is that the Faneca / Woody line was HEALTHY for the most part and never lost it's anchor in Mangold - and when they did happen to lose Woody, the scapegoat in all of this - Wayne Hunter played admirably thru the Championship Game..... Or heck, they replaced Faneca pretty easily WHEN HEALTHY everywhere else.Here's to a healthy OL this season and IMO everything else falls in line.

Tebow in the red zone? Numbers say that's a win for Jets' foes

By Pat Kirwan | NFL Insider

My good friend Rich Cimini, who covers the Jets for ESPN New York, hears the team is considering using Tim Tebow in the red zone. The "Wildcat theory" is that Tebow as the quarterback with Sanchez off the field gives the team an extra blocker in the running game.

As one defensive coordinator told me today: "In theory it gives them an extra blocker but it also permits the defense to worry a lot less about the receivers with his passing game and look for defenses to steal a man from coverage to take on that run game."

Bill Cowher told me if he saw the Wildcat he would blitz it and smother the quarterback. The point: Defensive coaches will have a plan for this Jets red zone attack as it related to Tebow.

The Jets would be giving up a lot to get Tebow on the field when you consider what Sanchez has done in the red zone in comparison:

Mark Sanchez has thrown 43 red zone touchdown passes in 53 games. Six of those TD passes came in six postseason games.

Tim Tebow has nine red zone TD passes in his 25 games and none in his two postseason games.

The strategy is also puzzling when you consider that more teams score in the red zone throwing than running. Last year there were 342 rushing touchdowns and 492 passing touchdowns in the red zone.

Mark Sanchez threw 21 of his 26 touchdown passes in the red zone and only threw three interceptions. Is Tim Tebow going to run for 21 touchdowns in the red zone?

What if the Jets decide that Tebow should come in at quarterback after Sanchez leads the team down inside the 10-yard line instead of inside the 20 yard line?

During his career inside the 10, Sanchez has rushed 15 times for 11 touchdowns. Tim Tebow has rushed 11 times for 9 touchdowns.

So is there really enough difference to take the starting quarterback out of the game every time it's a red zone situation?

All this is not to say there aren't times to use Tim Tebow in the Wildcat (when the Jets have a fourth-quarter lead and want to eat up the clock). But Sanchez was tied for the fifth most productive red zone QB in the NFL last year and had an 89.1 passer rating.

Sanchez threw more red zone TD passes than Eli Manning, Tony Romo, Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers, Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, and Michael Vick.

Do the Jets want to give up that dimension of their game to get an extra blocker in the Wildcat? Or do you think it's more likely that AFC East opponents would actually rather to see Tebow instead of Sanchez in the red zone?

Last season in six division games Mark Sanchez threw nine red zone touchdown passes (a 10th TD was from 21 yards) and ran for two red zone touchdowns. Tim Tebow played five games against AFC East, running for four TDs and throwing for three more in his red zone trips.

Shonn Greene: Is he th New York Jets' answer at RB?

Any thoughts on powell?
Personally I thought he looked like trash last pre-season. I'll try to give him the benefit of the doubt since he was a rookie that was perhaps "overthinking" and not playing naturally. But he looked very hesitent getting to the hole and didn't show any power at all. Hopefully he takes a big step forward this season.

Ferguson made it on reputation alone though - he really had a poor season. I do agree that injuries played a major part in the failures - obviously Mangold missing time and Moore being banged up most of the season played a huge role. Wayne Hunter looked really really bad though in a full time role and I'm not sure he'll improve much, and Slausen was merely adequate, but he was kind of banged up as well..

The Wayne Hunter era in N.Y. is over

By James Walker | ESPN.com

New York Jets fans can rejoice. The infamous Wayne Hunter era as New York's starting right tackle is presumably over.

The Jets acquired Jeff Otah from the Carolina Panthers in exchange for a conditional draft choice on Monday. Otah has 29 career starts and is talented enough to replace Hunter as New York's starting right tackle in Week 1.

Many were dumbfounded that the Jets did nothing to replace Hunter this offseason after Hunter struggled mightily in 2011. Jets starting quarterback Mark Sanchez had little protection on the right side and was sacked a career-high 39 times last season.

Otah is a solid player and a definite upgrade over Hunter and backup Vladimir Ducasse, who has been slow to develop.

The Jets are obviously tired of waiting for Ducasse and can no longer get by with Hunter as the starter. The Otah trade could quietly become one of the smartest moves in the AFC East this offseason.

1) I have my doubts about a guy with a bum knee who can barely pass a physical taking over at RT - James Walker is such a bad writer IMO

2) I still think way too many people try to single out a Lineman and grade him while failing to see how the people around him effect his play as well as the play calling and game plan - Jets last year were a mess offensivly all around and Hunter was just a piece of the puzzle.

I just look at that 1st offensive play of the season over and over - Sanchez drops back, pump fakes and they try to go for the home run - Shottenheimer, the Jets, once again thought they were going to be so smart and probably dreamed up this play for weeks how the Jets were going to score an 80 yard TD Bomb and Ground and pound would be forever Dead as Schottenheimer revamps the High flying offense and gets a HC job.... Pfffffffffffffffffffffttt....

STUPID PLAY and the epitomy of Schottenheimer - If it were me, My #1 worry would be Demarcus Ware and where he was lined up - They moved him over to the New RT and the results IMO were inevitable CHECKMATE for the coaching Rob Ryan Vs Schitty!-

Was it Hunter's fault that Ware steamrolled him? Well, yeah, but come on - To me that is Play calling above all else.... You don't want ANY RT 1 on 1 with Ware on a play calling for extra time in the pocket too often.

Talk about setting a tone and setting your brand new RT and young QB up to fail...

Granted as well, a Peyton Manning probably looks right at Demarcus Ware and audibles something to save his ###....

THAT 1 PLAY WAS THE JETS SEASON IN A NUTSHELL!!!!!!! I Blame Shotty WAYYYY more than Hunter.

Overall I think Hunter is still the RT and plays 100x better as the OL, offense and Offensive play calling work much better in conjunction.

Of course I'd love to see a healthy Otah.

Tim Tebow could cover kickoffs for New York Jets

By Marc Sessler

Writer

Tim Tebow is about to wear many hats with the New York Jets.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reported Tuesday that Tebow is a candidate to see the field on kickoffs. You're not going to see the backup quarterback return kicks, but he's being considered for a spot on the coverage team.

"I think there might be some value there on kickoff returns," assistant special teams coach Ben Kotwica said. "It's something that we've talked about. I don't think there's any option with Tim that we've taken off the table. So, that would be something that would be new to him as well. In what we've asked him to do as the personal (punt) protector (right now), he's done an excellent job."

Kotwica isn't concerned about Tebow's ability to tackle the return man, and why should he be? Tebow is a 250-pound steamroller, and Rex Ryan is going squeeze everything he can out of him.

The Jets have fielded deep criticism for adding Tebow to the roster. We don't know how Mark Sanchez will get through the season with Tebow breathing down his neck, but the Jets seem to understand that Tebow's role -- before quarterback -- is that of a football player. Say what you want about his mechanics, but Tebow is an unusual athlete, and we expect to see him spread him all over the field in 2012.

Jeff Otah to New York Jets a risk-free tackle upgrade

By Dan Hanzus

Writer

The New York Jets claimed during the offseason they believed in Wayne Hunter, then pulled the trigger on a trade that proved they didn't.

Don't view Jeff Otah -- acquired Monday from the Carolina Panthers for a conditional draft pick -- as competing against Hunter in training camp. The truth is it's Otah vs. the troublesome the left knee that's forced him to miss 31 of his last 35 games.

If Otah is healthy enough to play, he's going to get the first crack at New York's right tackle spot. Hunter was a mess there last season, and it was genuinely surprising the Jets hadn't acted aggressively to upgrade through free agency or the draft.

Better late than never, and a healthy Otah represents a significant upgrade, especially for a team intent on returning to "ground and pound."

It's a relatively risk-free move for the Jets, but don't assume they've solved their offensive line concerns with one deft transaction. Otah has baggage -- all those missed games on a knee doctors have declared structural sound made him an unpopular player in Carolina, perhaps as unpopular as Hunter was with the Jets.

This is really a case of the upside being as high as the downside is low. Carolina loved Otah enough to trade up in 2008 to draft him 19th overall. He's got a ton of natural ability, but will a change of scenery (and several months of recovery time) allow Otah to finally reach his potential?

It's a gamble worth taking for a Jets team low on options.

Love the otah pickup. Even if he isn't healthy they needed to try and get someone to displace hunter. He's awful

Jeff Otah Fails Physical; Trade on Hold with New York Jets

July 25, 2012

What looked like to be a simple trade between the Carolina Panthers and New York Jets may turn out to not be so simple. Earlier today, it was reported Jeff Otah failed his physical with the Jets putting the trade between the two teams on hold, according to ESPN New York.

Carolina decided to cut the oft-injured right tackle and go with the youngster Byron Bell or the seasoned veteran Bruce Campbell. After missing 31 of the past 35 games, the Panthers decided to take a different direction and part ways with Otah. If the trade goes through, the Panthers are to receive a conditional seventh-round pick.

The deal looked to be a decent one for New York who needed help on their line and were hoping that Otah would have the same kind of success former Panther Kris Jenkins did a few years ago. The Jets are set to begin training camp on Thursday but whether or not Otah is with them remains to be seen. It could be a possibility Otah may return to Spartanburg and report to camp at with the Panthers but nothing will be certain for another couple of days.

If he does return to the Panthers, Marty Hurney and Ron Rivera have some decisions on what to do with talented, but injury-plagued lineman. Hopefully, this will not be a major set back and the trade can proceed as planned.

Rex Ryan: Antonio Cromartie could play Jets receiver

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

We've harped on the New York Jets' lack of depth at wide receiver for much of the offseason. But Jets fans should have no fear: Antonio Cromartie is here!

Rex Ryan mentioned Friday at his first post-practice press conference that we shouldn't be surprised to see Cromartie taking some snaps at wide receiver.

"You have 53 guys on your roster and 45 are active and you're sitting back some games there has to be some crossover," Ryan said. "Don't be surprised if Cromartie plays some receiver, that's something we talked about. You have to be ready for those type of things."

We have no problem with coaches cross-training players at different positions, but this one smacks of desperation. The Jets are hoping for some spark at wideout off the bench with Brad Smith gone and Chaz Schilens still Chaz Schilens. We can't imagine that Cromartie, a starter at cornerback, will have a major role on offense.

At least the early signs regarding rookie receiver Stephen Hill are promising.

"I definitely take credit for that second round pick. So far so good, but he's really been impressive." Ryan said.

Mark Sanchez also lauded Hill for a fast start at his first training camp practice. Hill figures to start, with Jeremy Kerley, Schilens, and possibly Cromartie chipping in off the bench. All this New England Patriots-Jets copycat stuff is getting out of hand.

Antonio Cromartie discusses the 'Cro-Package' at WR

By Dan Hanzus

Writer

It's becoming more and more evident the New York Jets offense we see in 2012 will be significantly different than its predecessor.

We already know all about Tim Tebow and the different slant he'll bring to Tony Sparano's offense. Now we're hearing more about a package that would include cornerback Antonio Cromartie seeing time at wide receiver.

Rex Ryan said Friday that Cromartie could see time at wideout, a position of perilous depth for the team. The cornerback -- who took five snaps on offense in 2011, according to Pro Football Focus -- discussed the possibility on Saturday.

"They're trying to make up a 'Cro Package,'" Cromartie told the New York Daily News. "So I'll see what goes in there."

"I believe I can do it," he went on. "You got to pick your spots. You got to figure out what routes I can run, what routes I can't run. That's what we're going to do."

Gregg Rosenthal wrote Friday that the move reeks of desperation, an opinion that might have some merit. But Cromartie certainly has the size and athleticism to play the position. If the team internally believes he can make plays, it seems worth a shot to find out.

Rex Ryan: New York Jets' Jeremy Kerley must 'step up'

By Dan Hanzus

Writer

Everyone wants a Victor Cruz. Perhaps no one more so than the New York Jets, who watched the New York Giants receiver effectively end their season last December with his 99-yard touchdown reception at the Meadowlands.

The Jets didn't sign a veteran wideout to play alongside Santonio Holmes this season, instead hoping their in-house candidates could emerge the way Cruz did for the Giants.

Jeremy Kerley is supposed to be one of those guys, but Rex Ryan hasn't been impressed to this point. Kerley's struggled to pick up Tony Sparano's new offense, and now is shut down for up to a week with a minor hamstring injury.

"Jeremy needs to step it up," Ryan said, via The New York Daily News. "Quite honestly I was a little disappointed in him in the offseason."

"He's got to pick up this new system. You got to put the time in it."

Ryan was highly reticent to call out Jets players in his first three seasons as coach, adding an extra level of sting to the Kerley comments. Earlier in the week, he was similarly candid in dismissing comments by Holmes about the Jets' two-quarterback approach.

Ryan resolved during the offseason to take a more hands-on approach. His public comments about Holmes, and now Kerley, are evidence of Ryan's subtle, but notable, attitude adjustment.

Antonio Cromartie: I'm the second-best Jets receiver

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

Antonio Cromartie lacks experience at wide receiver. He does not lack confidence. After just a few snaps at the position during the New York Jets' training camp, Cromartie was asked where he'd rank himself on the Jets' depth chart.

"I think I'd put myself as second," Cromartie said on ESPN's "First Take," via ProFootballTalk. "I haven't really played it in the past four or five years, but I can put myself as the second just with raw ability and talent going out there, I think, me separating and being a more physical guy out there on the outside."

On one hand, Cromartie's move to wideout looks desperate. But the sad part here is that Cromartie could at least make an argument in his case. Chaz Schilens can't stay healthy. Jeremy Kerley is stuck in the doghouse. Stephen Hill looks very promising, but he hasn't played an NFL game. Cromartie believes he's more versatile than the others.

"Kerley is a more of a slot receiver, he's a slot guy," Cromartie said. "Stephen Hill is a younger guy that can get down the field. I think, for me, I can run every single route in the route tree. I'm not going to take anything away from my ability, so when you ask me that question, I'm going to say, yes, I believe I'm one of the best receivers on the football team, next to Santonio Holmes."

We love the Jets. With no teams left to trash talk around the rest of the league, they are starting to talk trash to themselves.

Chaz Schilens: Antonio Cromartie doesn't get receiver

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League editor

It's one thing for Antonio Cromartie to call himself the second-best wide receiver on the New York Jets. It's another thing for him to specifically explain why he's better than his teammates.

One of those teammates, wide receiver Chaz Schilens, didn't appreciate this new era in Jets trash-talking.

"Yeah, and it's not something I would say," Schilens said Wednesday, via The Associated Press. "Let him think what he wants."

Cromartie says he can run the whole route tree while also pointing out that Jeremy Kerley is "just a slot guy" and rookie Stephen Hill has a lot to learn.

Schilens said Wednesday that Cromartie "doesn't get" the position. Perhaps Schilens can teach him a thing or two when Cromartie is moonlighting at his other gig -- cornerback.

This feels like a story that would only happen on the Rex Ryan-era Jets.

UPDATE: Ryan said Wednesday during his news conference: "I'm aware of what was said. I'm on top of it. I'm aware of it. It won't be a problem. We're not playing it out through the media. I'm aware of it. I'll handle it."

Antonio Cromartie, the WR, hauls in TD at Jets practice

By Marc Sessler

Writer

The situation at wideout grows darker for the New York Jets.

Cornerback Antonio Cromartie elicited laughter -- and some hurt feelings -- when he labeled himself the team's second best receiver after moonlighting at the position in camp. Sadly, he's closer to the truth than anyone in Florham Park wants to admit.

Cromartie hauled in a short touchdown pass from Greg McElroy during Tuesday's practice, eliciting praise from his coach, Rex Ryan, who joked about Cromartie morphing into a "diva," per Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News.

More giggles out of Jets camp, but after what we saw against the Cincinnati Bengals, New York appears to possess genuine issues at the wideout position.

Coaches are hopeful Stephen Hill will emerge opposite Santonio Holmes, but the rookie was seen with his ring finger wrapped in tape on Tuesday. It's uncertain if the finger was dislocated or broken. In a slice of good news, presumed slot receiver Jeremy Kerley is finally back on the field after being sidelined for weeks with a hamstring injury. Word is Kerley isn't holding off Cromartie, however, who continues to slide up the depth chart.

"I'm 100 percent serious this is something I want to do, try to play both ways," said Cromartie, who is likely time against the New York Giants on Saturday, according to Ryan.

Asked who would win in a duel between Cromartie The Receiver and Cromartie The Defender, Cromartie -- the man -- told the world this: "Cromartie the cornerback is going to win."

We have entered strange, new worlds.

Jets teammates expect Mark Sanchez to break out

By Dan Hanzus

Writer

Mark Sanchez has plenty of doubters these days. Bart Scott is not one of them.

The New York Jets linebacker likes what he's seen from his teammate this summer. Scott believes expectations are in place for Sanchez to become a top 10 quarterback in the league.

"I think everybody has seen a difference in how he walks, how he handles it if he throws a bad ball, how he carries himself," Scott said, via The Associated Press. "Mark's always been a guy that you can see his emotions and how he's feeling about himself by his facial expressions. I think now he carries himself upright and he sticks that chest out like a peacock.

"I think that really shows confidence. But it also helps and inspires his players because they respond because he's their leader, and they're are going to go as he goes."

A woeful final three games last season obscured what was shaping up as Sanchez's best season in 2011. Through 13 games, Sanchez had 21 touchdowns passing, five TDs rushing, and just 11 interceptions.

Seven interceptions in his final three games -- all losses -- defined his season as a failure.

"The quarterback needs to take us there, and we're counting on Mark to do that," cornerback Darrelle Revis said. "Everybody has to do their job, but if we lose, it falls on Mark. If we win, it falls on Mark. The biggest thing is, we're very confident in Mark and we know he can lead us. He's done it in the past, and we're counting on him."

The pressure is on Sanchez. But then again, hasn't it always been?

Can the Jets fix their offense?

By James Walker | ESPN.com

The New York Jets' offense can't run, can't pass, can't protect the quarterback and cannot get into the end zone.

Other than that, things are going pretty well.

The Jets are putting on a "Bad News Bears" type of performance offensively this preseason. Granted, these games don't count in the standings. But we haven't seen anything from the Jets to inspire confidence that they will improve on last season's No. 25 ranking in total offense during the regular season.

A full slate of organized team activities, minicamp and training camp have produced only three field goals in eight quarters. The Jets currently hold the embarrassing distinction as the only NFL team yet to score a preseason touchdown.

The much-hyped and much-anticipated quarterback battle between Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow has fizzled. Sanchez is 13-of-17 for 80 yards, with one pick-six and five sacks. Tebow is 9-of-22 for 96 yards, one interception and four sacks. The Jets' offense this preseason is best measured in inches, not yards.

At some point, confidence might become an issue. This is a group that struggled all last season under former offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. But with "Schotty" gone, there is no scapegoat left to point the finger at besides the players failing to execute.

"Obviously like anything else, you want touchdowns because you want to see kids smile," Jets first-year offensive coordinator Tony Sparano told reporters this week. "You want to see the smile on their face. You want to see some validation on what it is that we’ve been doing and how hard they’ve been working."

There weren't many smiles from the Jets' offense in last weekend's 26-3 loss to the New York Giants. The Jets looked very frustrated for only a second preseason game.

Jets starting tailback Shonn Greene voiced his frustration after a failed fourth-down conversion in the first half. Tebow also was vocal and upset with his teammates for missed assignments. Tebow was sacked four times by the Giants' backups.

There are so many issues with personnel and execution that you wonder if the Jets can fix their offense in time for their Week 1 showdown in the AFC East against the Buffalo Bills.

Starting with the offensive line, the Jets must figure out what to do with starting right tackle Wayne Hunter. In his first preseason game last weekend, Hunter allowed three sacks and had a fourth called back because of a Giants penalty. Hunter was a major problem last season and has shown no signs of improvement.

"That stuff happens to everybody," Sanchez said of Hunter's bad game. "I don't care who you are."

Sanchez also spoke of building up Hunter's confidence and continuing to have faith in the struggling right tackle. New York's coaches say Hunter's problems are correctable. But the truth is he's just not a good player. If the Jets had a viable replacement, they would have benched Hunter by now. The problem is New York's options are very thin.

The Jets might have to turn to third-year tackle Austin Howard. I don't know if he's any good, but he can't play much worse than Hunter did in the last preseason game. New York should start Howard on Sunday against the Carolina Panthers. If Howard doesn't give up four sacks in the first half, consider it progress. Another option would be to move draft bust Vladimir Ducasse from guard back to right tackle.

Whether it's Hunter, Howard or Ducasse, it's clear the Jets must give their right tackle help this season by consistently leaving in an extra tight end or running back. That takes away options in the passing game, but it is better than having Sanchez or Tebow laying on his back.

It's also time for the Jets to use their Wildcat offense. New York has been holding this formation close to the vest, but this wrinkle might be the best thing the Jets' offense has going for it. Tebow has proven he can move the chains with his legs, both with the Denver Broncos and the Jets in the preseason. I understand the Jets not wanting to show too much before they play the Bills on Sept. 9. But they should at least do a few basic, Wildcat plays to jumpstart the offense, get some work in and build the group's confidence.

My final preseason suggestion is for New York to play rookie receiver Stephen Hill as much as possible with the starters. The second-round pick has four receptions in two games. He is a raw talent in need of playing time. Hill has the size and speed to be an asset for the Jets, and this is the perfect time to develop him.

If Hill is more seasoned by the regular season when No. 1 receiver Santonio Holmes returns from his rib injury, the Jets' receivers will be in much better shape than they are now. Hill also is a solid run blocker who will contribute to New York's ground-and-pound offense.

The Jets have a lot of problems offensively. But benching Hunter, using the Wildcat and developing Hill as much as possible this preseason should patch a few holes.

With a strong defense, the Jets don't need their offense to be world-beaters to win games. New York just needs its leaky ship on offense to stay afloat and keep its head above water.

Really good win today. Sanchez looked about as good as I've ever seen him, Stephen Hill looks like he's going to be a stud. I think the run D will be significantly better once Pouha comes back, and, maybe most importantly, Austin Howard completely neutralized Mario Williams. If Howard can be a functional RT, then that will go a long way towards helping the team. The only thing that I would have liked to have seen that I thought was lacking was some more pass rush, particularly from Maybin and Coples. OVerall, I'm thrilled with the win.

Users who are viewing this thread