What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Band of Brothers (1 Viewer)

redman said:
Bri said:
Officer Pete Malloy said:
Bri said:
Rodeojones said:
Some of you may find this page fascinating as I do Link.

Website by Airborne Historian and renowned expert Mark Bando. Link takes you to his "Band Of Brother's" page where he breaks down each episode and critiques the authenticity of each episode.
Very interesting, thanks.Gotta say though saying Spielberg didn't consult the right people in the first paragraph is silly. The author couldn't be a better historian on some of these battles and he had the living BOB. Cmon now
:goodposting: That site does have a lot of good info but gimme a break. Yes there are plenty of "errors" in BOB...it wasn't a documentary. This is true for every historical drama.
I read that link some more and geesh is he being nitpicky. I wish he'd have had a nitpicky section for some to click on, because the rest of the stuff weeded thru that is interesting. Some of it is insane really, Winters' leg bag comes off in 3 seconds not 2. The characters could not see thru the hedgerow(and you couldn't when the camera went there) but it's not dense enough?

Back to my original point, if the original BOB's consulted don't recall some of these details, that means they're unimportant. After all it is based on their events recollected by their memory.

I think I have a real strong guess when I say I'm guessing he wasn't included in this and since he met with Winters shortly before and is a historian, he's crushed to not be included. That bitterness about dumb BS is too hard to explain any other way
Sites like that are for :thumbup: 's who like to masturbate their ego by putting their knowledge of their preferred subject matter on display by nitpicking stuff. Get a life, Herbie.
I admire the guy for his knowledge on the subject. It's obvious that he has done some amazing research in the area. I also admire anyone that works to preserve history to such a detailed extent. The problem, again, is that BOB was not intended to be an encyclopedia. It's was a story. Many times historians become so focused on the minute details that they forget there is a story to tell.

redman said:
Bri said:
Officer Pete Malloy said:
Bri said:
Rodeojones said:
Some of you may find this page fascinating as I do Link.

Website by Airborne Historian and renowned expert Mark Bando. Link takes you to his "Band Of Brother's" page where he breaks down each episode and critiques the authenticity of each episode.
Very interesting, thanks.Gotta say though saying Spielberg didn't consult the right people in the first paragraph is silly. The author couldn't be a better historian on some of these battles and he had the living BOB. Cmon now
:goodposting: That site does have a lot of good info but gimme a break. Yes there are plenty of "errors" in BOB...it wasn't a documentary. This is true for every historical drama.
I read that link some more and geesh is he being nitpicky. I wish he'd have had a nitpicky section for some to click on, because the rest of the stuff weeded thru that is interesting. Some of it is insane really, Winters' leg bag comes off in 3 seconds not 2. The characters could not see thru the hedgerow(and you couldn't when the camera went there) but it's not dense enough?

Back to my original point, if the original BOB's consulted don't recall some of these details, that means they're unimportant. After all it is based on their events recollected by their memory.

I think I have a real strong guess when I say I'm guessing he wasn't included in this and since he met with Winters shortly before and is a historian, he's crushed to not be included. That bitterness about dumb BS is too hard to explain any other way
Sites like that are for :nerd: 's who like to masturbate their ego by putting their knowledge of their preferred subject matter on display by nitpicking stuff. Get a life, Herbie.
I admire the guy for his knowledge on the subject. It's obvious that he has done some amazing research in the area. I also admire anyone that works to preserve history to such a detailed extent. The problem, again, is that BOB was not intended to be an encyclopedia. It's was a story. Many times historians become so focused on the minute details that they forget there is a story to tell.
:goodposting: I wrote what I wrote before I'd read b30's description of that guy and that site. I admire people who are in it for the preservation of historically accurate information. I'll retract what I said insofar as I applied it to him.

beer 30 said:
Bri said:
I read that link some more and geesh is he being nitpicky. I wish he'd have had a nitpicky section for some to click on, because the rest of the stuff weeded thru that is interesting. Some of it is insane really, Winters' leg bag comes off in 3 seconds not 2. The characters could not see thru the hedgerow(and you couldn't when the camera went there) but it's not dense enough?Back to my original point, if the original BOB's consulted don't recall some of these details, that means they're unimportant. After all it is based on their events recollected by their memory. I think I have a real strong guess when I say I'm guessing he wasn't included in this and since he met with Winters shortly before and is a historian, he's crushed to not be included. That bitterness about dumb BS is too hard to explain any other way
Bri you know me a little from other threads regarding BoB and the 101st so you know I’m not talking out of my ### here. I’m not trying to defend Bando but I see his point. As a little history that some of you may not know, Bando started researching the 101st long, long before BoB was ever a concept. Sometime in the 60’s Mark started interviewing some 101st vets, had a knack for it and meticulously record everything. What he found was almost 99% of the vets never talked to anyone other than their brothers-in-arms about their experiences so there was no recorded history of this great division. He almost single handedly took the task to heart and made it his life’s work record as much history as possible about these great men. He understood then what few realize today; our WWII vets are a finite commodity dying off at a rate of 1,500 a day. He has interviewed almost 1,000 101st vets over the course of years and is, without a doubt, the foremost historian on the division.Does he come off nitpicky and bitter in his review? When I first read it I thought so too but understand, he put in 20 years with no interest in “cashing in” on these guys, just his love & respect for them. I think he has a right to be a little miffed because every one of these guys knew Bando long before Stephen Ambrose knew them. Bando has always, always preached “get it right”. Don’t misrepresent history because now there are millions of people that think they know the basic story of E Company but in truth they know bits and pieces. But because so many people have seen it there is a crop of folks that think they are experts on the 101st and this absolutely rubs him the wrong way. He also has disdain for Ambrose and his “historical” writings (he has been accused of plagiarism in the past with some very damning evidence).As I said I’m not trying to defend Bando because without BoB I would have never gotten involved with my research into WWII or the veterans of that era. It has lead to an incredibly rewarding part of my life that I would have simply never had. I can say the same for Ambrose. While I agree that he was lazy in some of his writings, I can’t fault him for BoB. I get Bando’s point of view in that his extensive body of work is largely overlooked because of BoB. He has never dissed the any members of E Company, his only point is that E Company by themselves did not carry the 101st. There were other Companies in the Division that did as much or more than E Company and get no recognition. I think this is what chaps Bando’s ### the most, not that he gets overlooked but that other veterans that chewed the same dirt with Easy get much less attention.
like I said, or apparently poorly worded the beginningSome is very interesting and I enjoyed reading it.I found some like the leg bag in 3 seconds vs 2 seconds and can't see thu hedgerow but it's not dense enough to be real nitpicky. I think the nitpicky stuff takes away from some great info mixed in between it.I disagree with any probs he has with Spielberg here completely.

I agree guys, again I wasn't trying to defend Bando and his commentary on the subject just laying out some of the back history and why I think he has a right to be miffed. One of the interesting things in his write-up that cracked me up when I went back and watched it was in episode 3 Carentan:

During brief action shots of men wearing belts of .30 caliber ammo over their shoulders, you can see the missing primers in the shell casings-very obvious to anyone knowledgable on firearms. Perhaps this was for safety purposes, but this annoying detail also showed up many times in SPR, and such scenes should be shot from a different angle, not be shown, or edited-out. Otherwise, live bullets with primers could be used just for filming those brief closeups, and handled with care, to avoid accidents. Years ago I saw dummy rounds with fake primers in the base, so it can be done.

Now, go watch episode 4 Replacements (I think). There is a scene where a replacement is loading up a machine gun at a check point and the rounds have actual bullets. Fairly glaring if you look for it but it happens so quick you don't really notice.

Enough of this though. I encourage you all to continue to enjoy BoB as I do. I watch it all the time when regular TV lets me down. I also encourage you all to sift thru Bando's website. The amount of knowledge there is staggering. "War Stories", "Eagle Talk", "Lest We Forget", "Then and Now" and "We Was Bad Bastards" are regular reads for me. Sign up for the forum and read thru some of that as well. Don Burgett (A Company 506th) is a regular there. His books come highly recommended by me as well. They are a perfect companion for BoB. Same battles, same places, different company.

During brief action shots of men wearing belts of .30 caliber ammo over their shoulders, you can see the missing primers in the shell casings-very obvious to anyone knowledgable on firearms. Perhaps this was for safety purposes, but this annoying detail also showed up many times in SPR, and such scenes should be shot from a different angle, not be shown, or edited-out. Otherwise, live bullets with primers could be used just for filming those brief closeups, and handled with care, to avoid accidents. Years ago I saw dummy rounds with fake primers in the base, so it can be done.
This is what he chooses to be annoyed by? :mellow: The only factual mistake that I didn't like was the flat statement that Corporal Blithe died, when in fact he continued his service with distinction into the Korean War. That's a pretty big gaffe. Otherwise, this was just an excellent series.

This is what he chooses to be annoyed by? :fishing: The only factual mistake that I didn't like was the flat statement that Corporal Blithe died, when in fact he continued his service with distinction into the Korean War. That's a pretty big gaffe. Otherwise, this was just an excellent series.
I wouldn't say he was annoyed just pointing it out in his review. I mentioned it because it was something that actually looked for and noticed.

This series was on sale for around $25-30 on DVD this past holiday at BB. Might check it out.

I got it on eBay like 4 years ago for $30.

Major **** Winters, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne Division, in an interview, read from a letter he had received from one of men he once commanded. It goes a little something like this: I treasure my remark to a grandson who asked, "Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?" "No", I answered, "But I served in a company of heroes".My allergies flare up every time I see this in the movie.
:unsure:that and the Old Pvt. Ryan at Tom Hanks' grave.

Major **** Winters, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne Division, in an interview, read from a letter he had received from one of men he once commanded. It goes a little something like this: I treasure my remark to a grandson who asked, "Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?" "No", I answered, "But I served in a company of heroes".My allergies flare up every time I see this in the movie.
:unsure:that and the Old Pvt. Ryan at Tom Hanks' grave.
Thanks for the spoiler, fella.

:tinfoilhat:that and the Old Pvt. Ryan at Tom Hanks' grave.
Psst. Bruce Willis is actually one of the ghosts.

:tinfoilhat:that and the Old Pvt. Ryan at Tom Hanks' grave.
No he's not - he is a super hero. Duh.

:goodposting:that and the Old Pvt. Ryan at Tom Hanks' grave.
I thought he was a cop whose ex-wife keeps getting taken hostage.

redman said:
The episode in the forest with the exploding trees was the most powerful to me.
This is the one I was referring to - the one that featured the medic at Bastogne. Very poignant.
Ah, my bad. I thought you were talking about the episode with the woman medic in the ruined city. Dang, I really need to watch this again - I'll have to borrow it from someone at work.

redman said:
This is the one I was referring to - the one that featured the medic at Bastogne. Very poignant.
Ah, my bad. I thought you were talking about the episode with the woman medic in the ruined city. Dang, I really need to watch this again - I'll have to borrow it from someone at work.
its the same episode.

redman said:
I was referring to that one. I think as someone else mentioned I'm counfounding the two episodes set around Bastogne.

The first episode about Bastogne was centered around and told by the medic, Eugene Roe. This is the episode with the nurse in the church, Babe Hefron falling into a German foxhole and a pointless patrol that got one of Babes close friends killed because no one could get to him to after he was shot. I think this is also the episode Hoobler shoots himself with the captured German pistol.

The second episode revolves around the attack on Foy, pretty sure it was called Breaking Point because everyone was about at the end of their rope. This episode saw Guarnere and Toy both lose their legs, Buck Compton sent off the line due to combat fatigue and the emergence of Lt. Spiers as the new commander of Easy Company.

I think. . .

Yea, that was definitely a tear-jerker moment. In fact, if you didn't well up a bit I would be shocked. Might watch it again tonight. Gives me chills.

Yeah, He only had a day and Joe still manages to find some brass nuckles.

My favorite Episode is Crossroads. Bastogne is very somber, but have watched Crossroads 3 or 4 more times than the other episodes.

Yeah how are those nuts Lip?

Doing fine Joe, thanks for asking.

He always had them. When they were waiting to load up the planes Toy was #####ing about all of the new gear they'd been given and one of the guys asked if he would be able to find space for his brass knuckles.

Can't read the thread right now because there are to many spoilers. But I got this for Christmas and me and my GF have been watching it. We are though the first 6 episodes (Bastogne episode about the medic). She, who has no military ties whatsoever, has been riveted by it and we are both enjoying it immensely. Right now there is a history of the 101st on THC. Winters is interviewed alot. I've been pointing out a lot of the stories in this documentary and telling her which episode it relates too. Brings it home even more to see that these DVDs are TRUE stories, not just some made for TV crap.

This thread caused me to watch the History Channel episodes again. I got through the first episode and about 2/3 of the way through #2, Day of Days, before I had to depart (in the middle of the Brecourt scene! :pickle: ) to go to my mother in law's birthday dinner. When I got home I popped in my DVD set and watched through the end of episode four. I love this series.

Loke said:
Can't read the thread right now because there are to many spoilers. But I got this for Christmas and me and my GF have been watching it. We are though the first 6 episodes (Bastogne episode about the medic). She, who has no military ties whatsoever, has been riveted by it and we are both enjoying it immensely. Right now there is a history of the 101st on THC. Winters is interviewed alot. I've been pointing out a lot of the stories in this documentary and telling her which episode it relates too. Brings it home even more to see that these DVDs are TRUE stories, not just some made for TV crap.
:thumbup: My wife is not into military stuff, but was riveted as well. Great drama, writing and characters, not to mention cinematography, transcends genre. My wife doesn't like westerns either, but if you break out a great western (High Noon; Shane; Liberty Valance; etc.) she'll watch and enjoy.

History channel at 12:16 (like 5 min from this writing)

Bastogne 12:16 to 1:41 others to follow until 7:00pm = no fb today if you watch all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep flipping on the TV and watching 20 minutes here, 30 minutes there and I have the DVD set. One of those shows that when it's on it's very hard for me not to watch.

I keep flipping on the TV and watching 20 minutes here, 30 minutes there and I have the DVD set. One of those shows that when it's on it's very hard for me not to watch.
Make sure your back in about 40 minutes for the best scene in the series.

Spears?
:blackdot:
Yea, he was a helluva leader. Finished up as governor of Spandau prison watching over Rudolph Hess, fitting end to a pretty awesome career.

Spears?
:no:
Yea, he was a helluva leader. Finished up as governor of Spandau prison watching over Rudolph Hess, fitting end to a pretty awesome career.
We need a Spandau Prison thread. The things I've read about it are pretty fascinating.

He always had them. When they were waiting to load up the planes Toy was #####ing about all of the new gear they'd been given and one of the guys asked if he would be able to find space for his brass knuckles.
Unless I am mistaken, Joe replies... "I could use some brass knuckles." So unless I am mistaken he only has a day to find some or I misheard him.eta second quote mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Spears?
:whistle:
We need a Spandau Prison thread. The things I've read about it are pretty fascinating.
You mean like "the term Spandau Ballet referred to the spasms of the Nazi war criminals as they 'danced at the end of the rope', when they were hanged at Spandau Prison"?

So here is some good stuff for you diehards, the first two links are the actual scripts from two episodes:

Carentan, episode 3

The Last Patrol, episode 8

The link below will take you to a thread at Bill Guarnere's site for the lead writer of the BoB series. What is interesting about this is the discussion of the "bible". Apparently there were originally 13 episodes written which encompassed everything from day one until the men set foot back on American soil. It was called the bible because it was a collection of all of Stephen Ambrose's research material, all of **** Winters material and every word spoken by the remaining men of E Company in ever interview they did with the writers, actors, producers, etc. In short, the be all, end all of information for the series. Mr. Jendresen posts a few excerts form some of the cut material as well as answers many view questions. Also in this thread are a number of posts by Susan Smith-Finn. She is the daughter of Burr Smith, a character many of you probably don't know but one of the intregal members of E Company who later went on to serve with the CIA in Laos and become the CIA liason with Delta on the failed raid to rescue the Iranian hostages. He died shortly after that. I mention her posts because I have had the pleasure of corresponding with her in the past and she is an incredible woman. Her posts have always hit home with me. There is a seperate thread on that site dedicated to her and her fathers memory that is an incredible read as well.

http://forums.wildbillguarnere.com/index.php?showtopic=5141

Enjoy.

I've watched it several times. Each time its harder and harder to watch the episode where they find the concentration camp. It may just be me, oh well.
"Why We Fight"One of the best hours of TV I have ever experianced. Only time a series made me tear up. :thumbdown:

Been watching an episode a day since my flight while I am on the elliptical. The hour of elliptical flies by. Replacements today. Crossroads tomorrow. Excellent episode.

Bastogne is a worthy day trip stop if you're ever travelling through central Europe. It's one French-speaking region that appreciates America's sacrifices. The museum there really moves.

Users who are viewing this thread