What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Band of Brothers (1 Viewer)

I made the mistake of watching BoB over the holiday weekend and then attending a family funeral (with full military honors) at Arlington National Cemetery on Tuesday. The caisson....the bugle player....the 21 gun salute. I held up ok for most of that, but watching the flag being folded over the casket, and it being handed to the widow with the words "On behalf of a grateful nation....", there wasn't a dry eye to be found.

For any who haven't been to Arlington, I highly recommend it. My next trip will be this fall or winter once the tombstone is up, and so that I can take the time to fully appreciate a "changing of the guard" at the tomb of the unknown.
Was there a couple of weeks ago. Literally was brought to tears seeing the never-ending rows of tombstones. Hit me like a ton of bricks.

I made the mistake of watching BoB over the holiday weekend and then attending a family funeral (with full military honors) at Arlington National Cemetery on Tuesday. The caisson....the bugle player....the 21 gun salute. I held up ok for most of that, but watching the flag being folded over the casket, and it being handed to the widow with the words "On behalf of a grateful nation....", there wasn't a dry eye to be found.

For any who haven't been to Arlington, I highly recommend it. My next trip will be this fall or winter once the tombstone is up, and so that I can take the time to fully appreciate a "changing of the guard" at the tomb of the unknown.
Was there a couple of weeks ago. Literally was brought to tears seeing the never-ending rows of tombstones. Hit me like a ton of bricks.
Yeah, there was that - and each and every one of them had an American flag on it, due to the holiday weekend. That's a sight to see. I may wait till they all have wreaths on them for the winter holidays to go back.

One of the main issues with TP was the lack of one unit that was involved in all of the battles that took place in the Pacific similar to the paratroopers in BoB. There were so many stories worth telling that it was difficult to boil them down to 10 episodes. Leckie, Sledge & Basilone were some of the better documented storylines that encapsulated the most well known battles in the Pacific but it was still disjointed IMO. Just a really tough topic to boil down into 10 episodes, probably could have done double that many for the Pacific and still left stuff out.

One of the main issues with TP was the lack of one unit that was involved in all of the battles that took place in the Pacific similar to the paratroopers in BoB. There were so many stories worth telling that it was difficult to boil them down to 10 episodes. Leckie, Sledge & Basilone were some of the better documented storylines that encapsulated the most well known battles in the Pacific but it was still disjointed IMO. Just a really tough topic to boil down into 10 episodes, probably could have done double that many for the Pacific and still left stuff out.
That's what I thought, too. But that History channel show (Battleship 360) actually proved it could be done. After seeing that, I became extremely excited to see TP because I felt like that mountain had been climbed.

Rewatched BoB on Memorial Day, and agree it is a million times better than TP. One critique I hadn't noticed/remembered to this viewing was a lot of the horrific life changing injuries seemed to be treated as 'no biggie' by the guys suffering them. Im not saying these guys weren't uber tough SOBs or that they weren't exhausted to the point where screaming would take a lot out of them, but if you get a leg blown off there's going to be more of a reaction than a sharp intake of breath and squinted eyes. I can understand shock etc, but too many giant injuries were taken in stride looking at it. I would expect a lot more screaming and crying etc., which would be tougher to watch, but more realistic IMO.

I'm nonplussed as to how anyone could think The Pacific was better than BoB. It's mind bottling. I thought The Pacific was actually a huge let down. If you can find the show on History, I think it was called Battleship 360, that would have been the best way to do The Pacific. Instead, it seemed like hardly any story telling of the actual fighting. If I remember correctly, wasn't there one episode in the middle that took place in San Francisco? While he was on leave? Dumb. I've watched TP once. I've watched BoB at least 200 times.
Yeah, I actually gave up on The Pacific with about 3 or 4 episodes to go. The storytelling wasn't as good (whoever used "disjointed" was pretty apt) and the characters seemed harder to rally around.

If anyone is interested, the Battle 360 show I mentioned is being replayed this Saturday on H2, which is History's other channel. They are running all 10 episodes back to back.

Just wanted to drop in and recommend a series for any war buffs out there. It's called "Battlefield" and had 6, 6 episode seasons (each episode is almost two hours) in the early 90's. It was made for PBS and the BBC, so the narration is British and dry, but it fits the material and production well.

Each episode either focuses on a major battle (or sometimes campaign if small enough) of WW2. It's really engrossing with just enough battle footage to entertain, while strategically setting up the clash (map usage is very cool to watch as battles progress), as well as breaking down the order for each side, the equipment that played key roles, the events of the actual battle and the aftermath.

All episodes can be easily found on the Tube. Stalingrad, season 1, episode 4, was one of the best pieces I've seen done on a History/TLC type WW2 program. They also have one season on Battlefield, Vietnam (haven't seen any).

I mentioned in the Netflix Thread a show I've started watching called "Our World War." It has the feel of a British Band of Brothers but it's about WWI and each episode is a different dramatization of events. The show has interviews with people who survived, but obviously since it's WWI some of the interviews are quite old.

The slogan of the show is "Modern War is brutal, 100 years ago, it was unimaginable"

Just wanted to drop in and recommend a series for any war buffs out there. It's called "Battlefield" and had 6, 6 episode seasons (each episode is almost two hours) in the early 90's. It was made for PBS and the BBC, so the narration is British and dry, but it fits the material and production well.

Each episode either focuses on a major battle (or sometimes campaign if small enough) of WW2. It's really engrossing with just enough battle footage to entertain, while strategically setting up the clash (map usage is very cool to watch as battles progress), as well as breaking down the order for each side, the equipment that played key roles, the events of the actual battle and the aftermath.

All episodes can be easily found on the Tube. Stalingrad, season 1, episode 4, was one of the best pieces I've seen done on a History/TLC type WW2 program. They also have one season on Battlefield, Vietnam (haven't seen any).
Very good series.

Very good series.
Just how I like my history.

LarryAllen said:

Just watched the first episode. Excellent suggestion and thanks.

LarryAllen said:

I got mildly erect just reading the description. Will check it out.

LarryAllen said:

Just watched the first episode. Excellent suggestion and thanks.
:hifive:

If anyone is interested, the Battle 360 show I mentioned is being replayed this Saturday on H2, which is History's other channel. They are running all 10 episodes back to back.
Not sure if anyone caught this but I taped the entire series again and have 3 more episodes left to watch. This series was so beautifully done. As I watch it now, it upsets me to think how much The Pacific missed its mark.

If I ever find a 10-hour stretch where I have nothing to do, this will be the first thing I pop in the DVD player. Unfortunately, the way things have been going, that'll be when I retire and the kid is off to college...about 18 years from now.

If I ever find a 10-hour stretch where I have nothing to do, this will be the first thing I pop in the DVD player. Unfortunately, the way things have been going, that'll be when I retire and the kid is off to college...about 18 years from now.
You can enjoy it one hour at a time, GB.

...but tell me it's not better at home, no wife, no kids, preferably in your underwear, volume unreasonably loud, with a big bucket of wings, snacks, and beer...all 10 episodes in a row.

Last edited by a moderator:
...but tell me it's not better at home, no wife, no kids, preferably in your underwear, volume unreasonably loud, with a big bucket of wings, snacks, and beer...all 10 episodes in a row.
That sounds pretty damn great.

I was showing a video to my students Friday.  There was a short segment on D Day.  The bell was about to ring so I stopped the vid right in the middle.  One of my kids says "they didn't show E company" half joking.  I said "Curahee!"  He replied with "3 miles up, 3 miles down!"

there is hope 

I just finished up The Pacific with my 12 year old, after going through BoB.  Pacific has some pretty graphic sex scenes for a 12 year old... I know it's weird to mention the sex scenes instead of the carnage, but I guess I'm a prude.

The scene where they find the concentration camp is one of the greatest things I've ever seen. Was just on, jaw-dropping. 

Hitler's dead -- killed himself. 

He shoulda done it 3 years ago, would've saved us a lot of trouble. 

Yea he should have...but he didn't. 

:(

There were a lot of scenes that stuck with me from BoB.  It felt when I watched with my son like at the beginning of every episode, I'd groan and say, "Uh oh, this is a heavy one."

Why We Fight is at the top of the list, but the nurse in Bastogne, the surrendering German officer's speech to his men, the Toy/Guarniere legs, that goofy look on the German boy's face when Winters surprises him (always looks kind of like Jaromir Jagr to me), many others... they stay with you.

I just watched the trailer for The Mighty Eighth.  Wow - dreading/looking forward to this, though it sounds like it's been bogged down.  I hope it comes out.

I'd love to see someone manage an Eastern Front show this good, though it might be hard to find anyone to root for.

I just watched the trailer for The Mighty Eighth.  Wow - dreading/looking forward to this, though it sounds like it's been bogged down.  I hope it comes out.

I'd love to see someone manage an Eastern Front show this good, though it might be hard to find anyone to root for.
Watch Stalingrad, the 1993 version.* I didn't have a problem feeling sympathy for the German soldiers they focused on.

*Haven't seen the more recent one that focused on Russians.

Rewatching BoB and this time my wife wanted to watch as well as she has onle watched bits and pieces. She cracked a few tears during Bastogne and Breaking Point and even though I myself have watched these several times, the emotions and feelings it elicits are still powerful.  Such a great series.  I can't imagine what those whose have served have went through. Humbling.  

I don't know if I had noticed Jimmy Fallon's little cameo as a Lt in this before today.  So weird with his little babyface.

I watch it every year on Memorial Day. I think it's the best thing I've seen on TV including the Wire. I checked a few channels and didn't see it on earlier and thought WTF. I was going to check HBO, but then got distracted by baseball and some things around the house. Just saw this thread and it's on HBO.  Too lazy to bring out the dvds. I guess i'll watch from ep 5 on. Such a brilliant series.

I watch it every year on Memorial Day. I think it's the best thing I've seen on TV including the Wire. I checked a few channels and didn't see it on earlier and thought WTF. I was going to check HBO, but then got distracted by baseball and some things around the house. Just saw this thread and it's on HBO.  Too lazy to bring out the dvds. I guess i'll watch from ep 5 on. Such a brilliant series.
Love this series. Here is a tough question. If you only have time to rewatch one episode, which do you choose?  

Love this series. Here is a tough question. If you only have time to rewatch one episode, which do you choose?  
Why We Fight is probably the "best" episode but it's just so depressing. 

So I think I'd go with The Breaking Point. I like walberg's character alot and he does a great job in this episode. Toy/garnere losing their legs is one of the more gut wrenching moments of the series

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread