What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

 Apple Watch ⌚ (1 Viewer)

I charge it on my 45 minute drive to work.

I think that the most logical thing for version 2 will be 2GB of memory and a built in iPod. I have heard others say they wish it had an ipod in it. Makes plenty of sense.

How long before, "Honey, stop looking at your watch so much!" becomes the thing you hear?

Since most of the tone seems to be "meh" or outright dislike I thought I would chime in with a different view. Like Billy Bats, I wasn't planning on buying one but did want one. As it happened, I did win the Sport edition (aluminum) in a sales contest at work. I had a Pebble previously and gave up on it after about 3 weeks. I joked that the Pebble basically was a reminder to pull my phone out. I find the Apple Watch to be much different and much better.

First, they absolutely nailed the way it interacts with you. I keep the ringer off on my phone and on the watch and the gentle shaking when I get an email, text, or call is just right. It even works great for my morning alarm (more on that in a bit).

Second, I think the notifications are great. Unlike the pebble, this actually helps me keep my phone IN my pocket more. I have five active email addresses between work, personal, and side projects. My wife's first/default nag with me when we are in a disagreement is that I spend too much time on my phone. And she's right; I pull my phone out way too much, especially when I'm with my family. So many messages--most of them, probably-- don't really require immediate attention. Some require no attention at all. Seeing the message and archiving it takes less than a second and gives us each what we want: I spend less time on my phone but I don't feel disconnected from my work and businesses.

I do use it to tell time as well. The faces may be seen as "fun" but they have a real utility to them. If people crow about Android being customizable and how awesome that is then Apple Watch owners can do the same about the watch faces. Most of the time I use a custom face that shows me my alarm, battery life, outside temperature, and when my next calendar appointment is. My kids are amused by the Mickey Mouse watch face as well, a level of entertainment to my small children no different than games and stuff on a regular phone.

The activity app is a nice-to-have, mostly because I did nothing with FitBit or activity tracking prior. I don't get enough exercise and I know it. At least with this simple activity tracker I can be informed of how lazy I am and actually try. If it gets later in the afternoon and I'm way behind on calories/steps I'll take a walk around downtown for 20 minutes. Depending on your perspective that may or may not be a lifechanging feature; I'm sure my heart appreciates that I'm actually trying though.

The watch is well weighed and well built. I actually cut the lawn (Texas weather ya'll) the other day and forgot it was on my wrist. Even with me sweating like crazy it remained comfortable whereas my other (Dress) watches would of course have no business on my wrist while working in the yard.

Perhaps my favorite feature is the alarm. I use the Watch to wake up in the morning at 5:15 with a light buzz of my wrist. If you ignore it long enough a small chime comes in, escalating in frequency until you finally wake up. This is a great alternative to a shrill alarm clock that wakes up me, my wife, and the aforementioned two small children. The Watch helps all of us wake up and sleep better.

Finally, I travel often for work and the Passbook integration (Boarding passes, hotel room keys) and Uber app (best app bar none. press the button, car arrives) are quite useful. They solve first-world quasi-problems but what's wrong with using technology for added convenience?

I have apps like HipChat and Slack (work) and sports stuff that I pretty much never check ever. Also don't use Siri or voice commands. I realize most of what's above seems inconsequential. They are incremental changes to my day and I admit that most of them aren't earthshattering. But not pulling my phone out so often, actually getting a little exercise, and waking up less chaotically make me glad to have the watch.
My experience is very similar. None of the conveniences that the watch provides are life changing in and of themselves, but put together they make a difference. On top of that, it looks great and is extremely versatile - I wear it in the gym and at board meetings.

I think people bagging on the cost haven't looked at the price of watches recently. Apple Watch cost less than the Movado I wore for years, and only a few hundred buck more than the Nixon watch I got 5 years or so ago. $500 for a great looking watch that does everything the Apple Watch does is a steal.

Why are we comparing the cost of an accessory that tells time to an actual watch? Seems like apples/oranges. If you want to do that, don't you need to factor in the cost of the device the accessory is paired to? WIthout the device the accessory is virtually useless.

Since most of the tone seems to be "meh" or outright dislike I thought I would chime in with a different view. Like Billy Bats, I wasn't planning on buying one but did want one. As it happened, I did win the Sport edition (aluminum) in a sales contest at work. I had a Pebble previously and gave up on it after about 3 weeks. I joked that the Pebble basically was a reminder to pull my phone out. I find the Apple Watch to be much different and much better.

First, they absolutely nailed the way it interacts with you. I keep the ringer off on my phone and on the watch and the gentle shaking when I get an email, text, or call is just right. It even works great for my morning alarm (more on that in a bit).

Second, I think the notifications are great. Unlike the pebble, this actually helps me keep my phone IN my pocket more. I have five active email addresses between work, personal, and side projects. My wife's first/default nag with me when we are in a disagreement is that I spend too much time on my phone. And she's right; I pull my phone out way too much, especially when I'm with my family. So many messages--most of them, probably-- don't really require immediate attention. Some require no attention at all. Seeing the message and archiving it takes less than a second and gives us each what we want: I spend less time on my phone but I don't feel disconnected from my work and businesses.

I do use it to tell time as well. The faces may be seen as "fun" but they have a real utility to them. If people crow about Android being customizable and how awesome that is then Apple Watch owners can do the same about the watch faces. Most of the time I use a custom face that shows me my alarm, battery life, outside temperature, and when my next calendar appointment is. My kids are amused by the Mickey Mouse watch face as well, a level of entertainment to my small children no different than games and stuff on a regular phone.

The activity app is a nice-to-have, mostly because I did nothing with FitBit or activity tracking prior. I don't get enough exercise and I know it. At least with this simple activity tracker I can be informed of how lazy I am and actually try. If it gets later in the afternoon and I'm way behind on calories/steps I'll take a walk around downtown for 20 minutes. Depending on your perspective that may or may not be a lifechanging feature; I'm sure my heart appreciates that I'm actually trying though.

The watch is well weighed and well built. I actually cut the lawn (Texas weather ya'll) the other day and forgot it was on my wrist. Even with me sweating like crazy it remained comfortable whereas my other (Dress) watches would of course have no business on my wrist while working in the yard.

Perhaps my favorite feature is the alarm. I use the Watch to wake up in the morning at 5:15 with a light buzz of my wrist. If you ignore it long enough a small chime comes in, escalating in frequency until you finally wake up. This is a great alternative to a shrill alarm clock that wakes up me, my wife, and the aforementioned two small children. The Watch helps all of us wake up and sleep better.

Finally, I travel often for work and the Passbook integration (Boarding passes, hotel room keys) and Uber app (best app bar none. press the button, car arrives) are quite useful. They solve first-world quasi-problems but what's wrong with using technology for added convenience?

I have apps like HipChat and Slack (work) and sports stuff that I pretty much never check ever. Also don't use Siri or voice commands. I realize most of what's above seems inconsequential. They are incremental changes to my day and I admit that most of them aren't earthshattering. But not pulling my phone out so often, actually getting a little exercise, and waking up less chaotically make me glad to have the watch.
My experience is very similar. None of the conveniences that the watch provides are life changing in and of themselves, but put together they make a difference. On top of that, it looks great and is extremely versatile - I wear it in the gym and at board meetings. I think people bagging on the cost haven't looked at the price of watches recently. Apple Watch cost less than the Movado I wore for years, and only a few hundred buck more than the Nixon watch I got 5 years or so ago. $500 for a great looking watch that does everything the Apple Watch does is a steal.
Other watches last almost forever. The apple watch is obsolete in a year and you're probably buying a new one every 2-3 years.

My experience is very similar. None of the conveniences that the watch provides are life changing in and of themselves, but put together they make a difference. On top of that, it looks great and is extremely versatile - I wear it in the gym and at board meetings. I think people bagging on the cost haven't looked at the price of watches recently. Apple Watch cost less than the Movado I wore for years, and only a few hundred buck more than the Nixon watch I got 5 years or so ago. $500 for a great looking watch that does everything the Apple Watch does is a steal.
Other watches last almost forever. The apple watch is obsolete in a year and you're probably buying a new one every 2-3 years.
The broken Movado and Nixon watches sitting in my drawer disagree.

Why are we comparing the cost of an accessory that tells time to an actual watch? Seems like apples/oranges. If you want to do that, don't you need to factor in the cost of the device the accessory is paired to? WIthout the device the accessory is virtually useless.
Most of us already own the device, so there is no additional cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
You had to purchase the device if you wanted the accessory to work :shrug: But forget the cost part, why are we comparing accessories that will be obsolete in a year or two to watches? Because they both tell time? That's about all they have in common.

Apple Watch Owners,

One thing I wish I knew... Your iPhone will only back up the Apple Watch Health/Activity usage if you use 1. iCloud backup or 2. Encrypted iTunes backup. I lost 6 weeks of Apple Watch health tracking when I restored my iPhone.

• Battery: Engineers cant get all day battery life in a phone-sized device now.
Uh...yeah they sure can.
:rolleyes: you know what I mean.

There are a couple devices that buck the trend, but generally speaking power users of both Android and iOS devices have to lean on keeping a charging cable or battery case handy.

But, feel free to completely miss the point. :whoosh:

You had to purchase the device if you wanted the accessory to work :shrug: But forget the cost part, why are we comparing accessories that will be obsolete in a year or two to watches? Because they both tell time? That's about all they have in common.
Obsolete in a year? Why?

Obsolete in a year? Why?
:lmao:

Obsolete in a year? Why?
Did anyone want their iPhone 1 when the iPhone 2 came out?

Obsolete in a year? Why?
Did anyone want their iPhone 1 when the iPhone 2 came out?
I have zero doubt that Apple Watch 2 will be leap years ahead of this iteration in a couple years when it comes out. But that doesn't make version 1 "obsolete".

• Battery: Engineers cant get all day battery life in a phone-sized device now.
Uh...yeah they sure can.
:rolleyes: you know what I mean.

There are a couple devices that buck the trend, but generally speaking power users of both Android and iOS devices have to lean on keeping a charging cable or battery case handy.

But, feel free to completely miss the point. :whoosh:
When the point is based on false assumptions like the above it isn't worth as much.

OK, we are six months (or so) in to this, what are people's (that have one) verdict? Thinking about getting a pair for me and the Mrs. for Xmas.

They'll have the battery problem "solved" by next go around, I'm willing to bet my Apple windfall on it. I'm also willing to bet that they will not release GPS version with the "new" battery. It will come in the iteration after. Their model should be clear to everyone by now. I'm not saying it's a bad model or deriding it in any fashion, but it is what it is. I don't know why people find the need to make excuses for it. If they didn't do that, I wouldn't have my kids' college paths set by now. :shrug:
Got the first part...whiffed on the second...thought for sure GPS would be a later iteration :kicksrock:  

Got one of these for my birthday - about to start reading the thread but considering no posts in a long time I'm wondering if this thing was worth what my wife paid for it.  

Anybody recommend must get apps or any cool features?

Got one of these for my birthday - about to start reading the thread but considering no posts in a long time I'm wondering if this thing was worth what my wife paid for it.  

Anybody recommend must get apps or any cool features?
I probably wouldn't have bought one for myself, but got it as a birthday present last year.  Initially I didn't wear it much, but then I recently got a new strap from Apple that I liked more and started wearing it daily with a suit.  I actually dig it.  I don't use it for all that much -- there's so much more functionality available than I use, but the steps tracking stuff is cool, notifications come in handy often,etc.  I wish there were a spotify app for it that let me have full control over spotify and volume, but hopefully one day.

But forget the cost part, why are we comparing accessories that will be obsolete in a year or two to watches? Because they both tell time? That's about all they have in common.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's because it has Watch right there in the name.

Not to pick on you Commish but my god this thread sucks - I had forgotten I posted in it but there's so little information in here considering the watch has been out this long.

The one thing that jumps out at me immediately is there's a steeper learning curve to this over an iPhone/iPad.  So, I still feel like I have a lot to learn but will provide my limited feedback so far.

Version: Sports Nike Fuel edition - not sure if that's the exact name

- really like the look and feel - good size 42MM and very comfortable.  Love the way the band works

- notifications- I'm in meetings A LOT at work and this will allow me to keep my phone in my pocket the majority of the time.  With a wife and 4 kids I get lots of texts from them at different times.  Will also be able to relax on the back deck or shoot pool without having the phone on me at home

- integration with maps when driving - small vibration when it's time to turn (wish it could do the verbal commands from the phone)

- GPS - I need to get back to running and biking more and live the apps that track this - will be interested to try them out

- music - yes, the 2GB limit sucks but that should be enough songs to build some decent workout playlists.  TBH, I don't own a lot of songs so it's not a huge issue for downloading; Bluetooth headphone pairing was ok - wish that worked more seamlessly 

- faces - nice but not earth shattering 

- vibrating alarm is nice

- Wallet integration- I've already put my sporting event tickets on the watch

- waterproof- big for me (see below)

Dislike:

- cost - has to be mentioned and I am concerned how long until it's obsolete 

- streaming music - that one feature would make the price tag worth it to me - there's some kind of Pandora integration but I'm assuming you have to have Pandora Plus and download

- Apple Pay - this isn't Apple's fault but my bank doesn't work with it yet and don't think a lot of vendors accept it yet, right.  This will be a big LIKE once that is working

- Battery - I wore a Garmin the last two years - it had never been charged and I was able to wear it virtually 24x7 since I got it.  Charging daily is just a PITA but its understandable considering the features

Other thoughts:

- Can't wait to swim in this - I swim a lot for exercise in the summer and this will allow me to track it and consider some underwater headphones

- if this allowed me to get rid of my wallet by using Apple Pay and could be my DL and maybe other cards I would love it

- curious what home automation apps may be out there

As I use it more I'll try to post some updates.

I haven't posted any updates but I've been loving the watch - that was until today when it just stopped working. I was swimming  and wanted to see what time it was.  Couldn't get it to light up.  I knew the battery shouldn't have been dead but charged it when I got it home and nothing.  Still under warranty but sucks having to deal with replacing it.

I didn't want one at first but my wife loved her's so I got one and really didn't think I'd use it to be honest 

But after just a short time it became a must have every day at work. 

It truly has helped me pay attention to exercise. Nothing hard core because I exercise moderately at best but I certainly do more now  that I have the watch. It just makes it convenient and in the forefront of my mind. 

As unlikely as it is for me to do, I did leave my phone at home once and was pleasantly surprised to find I could still text on the watch without the phone (as long as you have had the watch and phone paired on that wifi network at least once before it will work) 

I keep the watch email set to my work so I can sit in meetings and feel the little vibrating notification and give the watch a quick glance and never miss a beat. That sounds simple and no big deal but it makes a huge difference. I can't say how many times I've lost track of the conversation in a meeting as I took the time to pull the phone from my pocket and check the mail (and likely get sidetracked by whatever else in saw on the phone when I unlocked it) 

I am surprised there isn't more love for the new apple watch announcement.

They finally got it right, nobody wants a remote control for something in your pocket. A watch with LTE is a must so you can carry it alone if you choose. You don't need a watch to replace your phone in all situations but having the ability to stay in touch without carrying your phone EVERYWHERE is the game changer. Let the Chinese android clones fly! Well, except make them with circular faces.... egad those square faced watches are ugly. This watch will push the wearable market forward and there is a big untapped market out there imo. There are times when you do need a full screen, but I am finding for a lot of my day I really don't. I might actually be more productive with a smaller screen to distract me throughout my day. Or at the very least around to distract me at less frequent intervals. 

I do feel bad for the people that bit on the beta versions of this thing.

Maybe I'm not paying attention, but I don't see people wearing smart watches much anymore. 
I notice it's back to analog watches and fitbit type stuff, but no smart watches.

They finally got it right, nobody wants a remote control for something in your pocket. A watch with LTE is a must so you can carry it alone if you choose. You don't need a watch to replace your phone in all situations but having the ability to stay in touch without carrying your phone EVERYWHERE is the game changer. Let the Chinese android clones fly! Well, except make them with circular faces.... egad those square faced watches are ugly. This watch will push the wearable market forward and there is a big untapped market out there imo. There are times when you do need a full screen, but I am finding for a lot of my day I really don't. I might actually be more productive with a smaller screen to distract me throughout my day. Or at the very least around to distract me at less frequent intervals. 

I had zero interest until they got LTE.  Now i'll be ordering one tomorrow evening.

Hate having to carry a phone around all the time.  The LTE watch should be enough for most occasions now.

I admit that I was not and will not be a watch adopter anytime soon however what they did show yesterday was much more intriguing than before. The whole health thing has me thinking about one... not so much the LTE part.

I had zero interest until they got LTE.  Now i'll be ordering one tomorrow evening.

Hate having to carry a phone around all the time.  The LTE watch should be enough for most occasions now.
Yeah, it's amazing to me how many people just seem to want to carry a cellphone around with them 24/7 for the rest of their lives. Working overseas now and it's amazing just how bad "WhatsApp" is because the app seems to completely revolve around the fact that you will have your one phone tethered to your hand like a pacifier at all hours of the day. Maybe I'm crazy but I don't really use my device(S) that way. 

If the apple watch wasn't so ugly I'd be tempted to switch right now. I do love all the options in terms of bands though. That is a very important consideration as some of the android smartwatches with a cell signal actually have antennas in the band making it difficult or impossible to change them. We are finally getting close on this tech and the damn will break and everyone will have a wearable or three.

The smartwatch is the post-hype sleeper. Finally.

I admit that I was not and will not be a watch adopter anytime soon however what they did show yesterday was much more intriguing than before. The whole health thing has me thinking about one... not so much the LTE part.
Interesting.

If you aren't interested in the autonomous communication angle I would think that there is already a thousand devices out there that would track the health stuff and give you much better battery life. The only thing I hate about the idea of an LTE watch is the fact it would be one more device I need to cradle up every day. Some of those health-centric watches can go a year without needing to worry about the battery. 

Interesting.

If you aren't interested in the autonomous communication angle I would think that there is already a thousand devices out there that would track the health stuff and give you much better battery life. The only thing I hate about the idea of an LTE watch is the fact it would be one more device I need to cradle up every day. Some of those health-centric watches can go a year without needing to worry about the battery. 
There is the #### Tracy factor. Best Cosplay ever with actual working cellwatch.

Maybe I'm not paying attention, but I don't see people wearing smart watches much anymore. 
I notice it's back to analog watches and fitbit type stuff, but no smart watches.
Technically speaking the fitbit is a smartwatch.

Also, one of the great things about the past generation or so of smartwatches is the fact they don't LOOK LIKE a smartwatch. They look like a regular watch. Some of them even have always on watch faces that look a great deal like analog watches and they are eeking out better and better battery life.

There is the #### Tracy factor. Best Cosplay ever with actual working cellwatch.
There have been cell watches out for awhile. Unfortunately where I am the 3G tower penetration wasn't very good and many of the less expensive Chinese cell watches only use 3G. I assume it's because the data requirements for a watch are so small and/or 3G is easier on battery life.

:goodposting:

its getting closer to something I'd buy. LTE, and improving Heath tracking are selling points for me. Curious if it requires add on fees to your LTE plan? 

Wow, that's gross. 

I can see Verizon customers putting up with that..... but you're just using the data/minutes/texts you are already paying for with your phone. Cellular companies in the US are completely absurd. You pay an extra $10/month to use the stuff you are already paying for?!
Yeah, it sucks, and I think it's been pretty standard practice for a while now with tablets and other devices with cell service.

Yeah, it sucks, and I think it's been pretty standard practice for a while now with tablets and other devices with cell service.
I guess for a tablet it kind of doesn't bother me quite as much because a tablet has the potential to eat up even more data than your phone(especially when it comes to consuming video content). But for something that's going to use such little data as a watch it seems absolutely ridiculous you can't share your phone data plan.

Reminds me of looking at my DirectTV bill yesterday....

$90 for plan... okay bad enough but okay.

$10 per TV for HDTV Box rental. Lame but okay

$7 per box "TV fee"... wtf is the box fee for? 

$3 whole home dvr fee... wat? The boxes automatically network together. 

$6 "regional sports fee" - wtf is the programming plan fee for? 

Nickel and diming of the American consumer is out of hand 

Wow, that's gross. 

I can see Verizon customers putting up with that..... but you're just using the data/minutes/texts you are already paying for with your phone. Cellular companies in the US are completely absurd. You pay an extra $10/month to use the stuff you are already paying for?!
How do you figure?  You're putting another device on their network. They should charge for that. It's like "oh man I'm already paying for service for one cell phone, why can't I have 5 others with free service?!?!"

How do you figure?  You're putting another device on their network. They should charge for that. It's like "oh man I'm already paying for service for one cell phone, why can't I have 5 others with free service?!?!"
Cell phones have unique numbers. This is piggybacking off a number you're already paying for, using data you're already paying for. 

Users who are viewing this thread