What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jimmy Garoppolo, LAR (3 Viewers)

I like JG and own him in dynasty, but for comparison's sake, Brock Osweiler's ENTIRE contract with the Texans was $72M, with $37M guaranteed.

Edit: Waiting to see the contract details and possible outs, but dude has 7 starts total and the 49ers are paying him like a 4 or 5 year starting veteran QB. He may be worth it, but that's one heck of an expensive gamble.
What I was referencing was that we don't really know what is fully guaranteed and when. What is the signing bonus? What are roster bonuses if he is still on the team and which seasons? Sometimes there are guarantees that are only for injury.

Expected Jimmy G's contract to be around what Stafford signed for, 5 years 135 million with 92 million guaranteed. No surprise what so ever.

The Pats made the decision about Jimmy G when Brady was extended Feb 2016. That was no surprise either even though the haters love to make it so.

Salary cap and common sense is lacking.
What is interesting is this is the second time that a Brady back up went elsewhere and cashed in . . . for more than Brady got paid.

Cassel signed a deal for $63 million, with $28 million guaranteed and $40.5 million in the first three years of the contract. Between his salary and roster bonus, Brady was only earning $8 million a year at the time.

This time around, Garoppolo is said to be making close to $30 million a year for the first three years of his new deal. Brady will make $15 million in 2018. Let's see if Brady tells NE to back up the truck.

What I was referencing was that we don't really know what is fully guaranteed and when. What is the signing bonus? What are roster bonuses if he is still on the team and which seasons? Sometimes there are guarantees that are only for injury.
My guess would be heavily front-loaded considering the 49ers rollover cap-space. If they are protecting themselves and still modeling it after Carr's contract then possibly something like a relatively small signing bonus, fully guaranteed salaries in 2018 & 2019 plus roster bonuses and likely the base salary becomes guaranteed for injury only if he's on the roster upon the start of the new league year in 2020 or something. Then again, given JG's bargaining position, SF may not have put in too many outs for fear he wouldn't agree to sign.

My guess would be heavily front-loaded considering the 49ers rollover cap-space. If they are protecting themselves and still modeling it after Carr's contract then possibly something like a relatively small signing bonus, fully guaranteed salaries in 2018 & 2019 plus roster bonuses and likely the base salary becomes guaranteed for injury only if he's on the roster upon the start of the new league year in 2020 or something. Then again, given JG's bargaining position, SF may not have put in too many outs for fear he wouldn't agree to sign.
Not my money, but JG had essentially the same number of starts as Osweiler did when he got a new deal. Yet SF was willing to give Jimmy G. Osweiler money + 50-60%. Seems a little crazy to me, but I don't run an NFL franchise.

Not my money, but JG had essentially the same number of starts as Osweiler did when he got a new deal. Yet SF was willing to give Jimmy G. Osweiler money + 50-60%. Seems a little crazy to me, but I don't run an NFL franchise.
Plus traded an early 2nd for him in the first place. Edit: Removed the info on Brock's stats as a comparison, I was incorrect.

Certainly seems like a risky signing to pay a guy with 7 starts that much, but it won't matter if JG keeps up what he's been doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I am not 100% sold on JG. I followed him since he came to NE. I still think he will be a good (Top 10 or Top 12) QB.  Not quite ready to anoint him as the second coming of INSERT NAME HERE.

Let's see what happens once teams see film on him and have something to scheme for.
Garp's salary will be sandwiched between the likes of Stafford, Carr, and Cousins (probably)... SF is basically saying that he's as good as those 3 guys, which I think is fair. 

But Osweiler looked average at best in his starts and relied on the defense to win games.  Garoppolo looked amazing and took a team that had only won 1 game and won 5 straight, including two over playoff teams.  He did that with receivers led by a journeyman (Goodwin) and a couple 5th round rookies (Taylor and Kittle).

A ton of money, but Lynch and Shanahan obviously think he is worth it.  I guess they could have screwed around and given him the franchise tag but if they believe in him, then will end up cheaper in the long run.

I think the big difference is that Shanahan got him into the system, watched him in practice and games, saw his ability to pick up a complex offense and saw how he fit in as a personality before paying him the big dollars. Houston paid Osweiler and probably realized 2 months later it was a big mistake. People blasted the 49ers for giving up the 2nd round pick just to get a look at him, but it was a brilliant move that gave them the knowledge they needed to give him the big dollars.

The difference being that one guy looked like a hall of famer in those starts and the other guy looked somewhat serviceable.

Osweiler wasn't even signed by his own team who elected to let him walk while getting nothing in return and not having a reasonable alternative at the position.  That's how a lot of people felt about Osweiler at the time.

Buckna said:
JG's #'s are definitely better and he's undefeated, but Oswieler's Rating, Cmp%, TDs, Ints, etc. weren't far behind JG's stats to this poin
Que?

Osweiler prior to signing with Houston had a completion percentage of 61%, QB rating of 86.4, and YPA of 7.2.  All below average (not even in the top 20) compared to the rest of the league.

Garoppolo completed 67.3% with a QB rating of 99.7 and YPA of 8.3 which were 2nd, 6th, and 1st best in the league in those categories.

Brady's cap hit in 2018 and 2019 is 22 million. That includes amortization of bonuses he received.

Buckna said:
I like JG and own him in dynasty, but for comparison's sake, Brock Osweiler's ENTIRE contract with the Texans was $72M, with $37M guaranteed.

Edit: Waiting to see the contract details and possible outs, but dude has 7 starts total and the 49ers are paying him like a 4 or 5 year starting veteran QB. He may be worth it, but that's one heck of an expensive gamble.
Looking at the past few years, San Fran had nowhere to go but up. Better to take a gamble than to stay doormats without trying. And its not like Jimmy didnt look anything short of fantastic. Matt Ryan said Shannys offense was a humdinger to grasp, and Jimmy came in and picked it up in a matter of weeks. Now,  they obviously didnt throw the WHOLE playbook at him, but its still impressive the command he had in that time frame, and his ability to execute with mediocre talent around him.

Ben & Jerry's said:
Although we only have a small sample size for Jimmy, he looks like a special talent. 

SF really nailed the whole Garapollo situation including the trade to acquire him.
A lot of qbs start out good and defenses adjust. Too much money for a six game starter no matter how good he looked. If he even ends up being an average qb it's a pretty bad contract.

FreeBaGeL said:
The difference being that one guy looked like a hall of famer in those starts and the other guy looked somewhat serviceable.

Osweiler wasn't even signed by his own team who elected to let him walk while getting nothing in return and not having a reasonable alternative at the position.  That's how a lot of people felt about Osweiler at the time.
JG was good when I watched him in SF. But HOFer good? That's a bit of a reach.

The Niners had to kick 18 field goals in Garappolo's starts, so clearly they struggled to get TD's. They beat the Bears and Texans, who were both mailing it in by that point. They also beat the Jags and Rams, who pretty much were locked into their seeds and really didn't have a ton to play for.

Yes, the SF offense did better with JG than the guys before him. But the defense played better and allowed fewer yards and fewer points. Did the aura of Jimmy G get the defense to play better too? 

Shanahan's offense worked really well that one season in ATL and was solid another season in WAS. But he's also had 6 seasons when his offenses ranked 20th or worse in points scored. Also hard to tell how effective his offense were overall, as several years his teams weren't that great and had to pass to stay in games (7 times ranked in the Top 10 in passing attempts).

IMO, no matter who the player is, it's really hard to tell after 7 games what he will turn into. Sure, it's better to be 7-0 than 0-7. And he probably will be good to very good. We also need to see how they fill out the roster on offense around him. Let's see if they can come up with the next Julio Jones.

Not saying that JG will be a bum or that the Niners way overpaid for him, but I would temper expectations some.

A lot of qbs start out good and defenses adjust. Too much money for a six game starter no matter how good he looked. If he even ends up being an average qb it's a pretty bad contract.
Look what Shanahan has done for the QBs hes coached. Even Hoyer looked good in Cleveland for a minute. Jimmy obviously has a ton of talent, and Shanny will turn him into a rock solid if not elite QB. Its not like Jimmy was taken from the trash heap. Its all about scheme and personnel, and hes probably in the best possible scenario and place he could be at this point.

Look what Shanahan has done for the QBs hes coached. Even Hoyer looked good in Cleveland for a minute. Jimmy obviously has a ton of talent, and Shanny will turn him into a rock solid if not elite QB. Its not like Jimmy was taken from the trash heap. Its all about scheme and personnel, and hes probably in the best possible scenario and place he could be at this point.
Since you said "Look what Shanahan has done for QBs he's coached" . . .

- One really good year from Matt Schaub, one not so good year.
- Pretty much nothing from Sage Rosenfels filling in Schaub.
- A horrible year from Donovan McNabb.
- A terrible year from Rex Grossman.
- One good year, one not so good year from RGIII.
- One not very good year from Brian Hoyer in CLE (and not much out of him in SFO either).
- One phenomenal year and one not very good year from Matt Ryan in ATL.

I know people like to think that Shanahan is a QB whisperer, but Cousins had success after Shanahan had moved on (so not sure who should get the credit). I agree that JG so far looks talented, but we'll have to see how things play out a little more before we can tell if he deserves top of the market money.

Yes, the SF offense did better with JG than the guys before him. But the defense played better and allowed fewer yards and fewer points. Did the aura of Jimmy G get the defense to play better too? 
Well, the offense extended drives, keeping the defense off the field, so yeah, you could say he made the defense better.

Well, the offense extended drives, keeping the defense off the field, so yeah, you could say he made the defense better.
I guess we will have to wait and see if the Niners can do as well across an entire season. The defense allowed 75 fewer yards and a TD less per game with JG starting.

Since you said "Look what Shanahan has done for QBs he's coached" . . .

- One really good year from Matt Schaub, one not so good year.
- Pretty much nothing from Sage Rosenfels filling in Schaub.
- A horrible year from Donovan McNabb.
- A terrible year from Rex Grossman.
- One good year, one not so good year from RGIII.
- One not very good year from Brian Hoyer in CLE (and not much out of him in SFO either).
- One phenomenal year and one not very good year from Matt Ryan in ATL.

I know people like to think that Shanahan is a QB whisperer, but Cousins had success after Shanahan had moved on (so not sure who should get the credit). I agree that JG so far looks talented, but we'll have to see how things play out a little more before we can tell if he deserves top of the market money.

Ok, Ill bite.

Houston OC in 08 and 09. Shaubs 1st year under Shanny wasnt great, but next year he had a nice season. Maybe it took time to grasp the offense? I dont really know. Then Shanny left, so we dont know how good Shaub may heve been uder Kyle.

Washington OC from 2010 - 2013. McNabb was like 80 years old, he was DONE and his #1 WR was Santana Moss. Gross, man. Speaking of gross, next came Rex. I dont really need to say anything there other than hes Rex Grossman and his #1 WR was 31 year old Jabar Gaffney. Then came RGIII who looked fantastic until he got injured in the playoffs and was never the same. Not really Shannys fault there.

Then Cleveland for one year in 2014, where he had Hoyer, who started 13 games (the most starts in his career), and while he didnt look great, he had moments...but its the Browns, for Pete sake. Their top 2 WRs that year were Andrew Hawkins and Miles Austin. Its shocking he had any good games there.

Atlanta OC from 2015-2016. Ryan wasnt great in year one, but he has publicly stated that it took him more than a year to grasp Shannys offense. Once he did, it was game on.

Then he got the HC gig in SF where with an awful roster, they lost 5 games by 3 points or less with Hoyer and CJ Beathard at QB and pretty much crap for weapons. Then in steps Jimmy G, picks up the offense in a matter of weeks, and looks phenomenal in his 5 starts and makes the 49ers look like world beaters.

So while Shanny hasnt exactly turned every QB into HOFers, he now has a QB  who grasped his offense and executed it to a Tee in only a few weeks and with almost no supporting cast. I think that alone shows that Jimmy might be special, and getting to skip the first year mediocrity Shanahan dealt with with guys like Shaub and Ryan puts everyone ahead of the 8 ball here. I think everything will be fine and the contact will prove to be worth it.

You realize that if people agreed with you all you’ve done is prove that paying a qb 27 million a year is stupid when Shanahan can make anyone good.

Que?

Osweiler prior to signing with Houston had a completion percentage of 61%, QB rating of 86.4, and YPA of 7.2.  All below average (not even in the top 20) compared to the rest of the league.

Garoppolo completed 67.3% with a QB rating of 99.7 and YPA of 8.3 which were 2nd, 6th, and 1st best in the league in those categories.
I stand corrected, I only compared their stats on the absolute face of them, should have compared them across peers for overall standings. I'll edit my original post.

Some disconnect on JG's #'s though, Pro Football Reference & NFL.com has his QB Rating at 96.2 for about 10th in the league, 4th in completion %, ranked very highly in Y/A (1st) and QBR (2nd), and 7th in AY/A. PFF rated him 10th overall at QB, pretty dang good for someone with such little experience.

If he pans out it won't matter, but I still think it's ridiculous the 49ers are making him the highest paid player in the league based on less than half a season of starts though.

JG was good when I watched him in SF. But HOFer good? That's a bit of a reach.
His efficiency stats were HOFer good is kind of what I was getting at. 

Regardless, even if it was overstated a bit on my part, the point is the two aren't necessarily comparable just because they started the same number of games when one looked really really good in those starts and one merely looked like he might one day learn how to be really good.

efactor said:
Might as well start out high I guess...................
Seems a good mantra.

Ben & Jerry's said:
Although we only have a small sample size for Jimmy, he looks like a special talent. 

SF really nailed the whole Garapollo situation including the trade to acquire him.
Assuming he pans out, sure. 

If he flops, this is probably worse than taking a QB bust #1 overall 

I stand corrected, I only compared their stats on the absolute face of them, should have compared them across peers for overall standings. I'll edit my original post.

Some disconnect on JG's #'s though, Pro Football Reference & NFL.com has his QB Rating at 96.2 for about 10th in the league, 4th in completion %, ranked very highly in Y/A (1st) and QBR (2nd), and 7th in AY/A. PFF rated him 10th overall at QB, pretty dang good for someone with such little experience.

If he pans out it won't matter, but I still think it's ridiculous the 49ers are making him the highest paid player in the league based on less than half a season of starts though.
I believe the difference is I was counting all of JG's starts which included 2 in New England.

Workhorse said:
Fun conspiracy theory running around my flu-added brain:

Maybe Garoppolo was actually the one who deflated the footballs and tipped off the Colts and the league office, so that he could get his starting shot with the Pats to prove his worth and hit free agency with a head of steam. Who had the most to gain by that whole situation? Hmmm????  The plan finally came together.

Muh-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!

:excited:
Makes sense. Was probably thinking of taking Brady out Gillooly style and then figured he didn't want to end up like Tonya Harding so took a smarter approach.

So now the Pats fans are turning on Garroppolo after telling everyone he was worth 2 first round picks last offseason?

Sounds like the Niners made an excellent deal. On the twitter I’m seeing a lot of folks ripping them for the $.

1. It ain’t my money

2. He went 5-0, and beat the jags with a dogcrap team that was 1-11, so please spare me the “small sample size” nonsense, haters.  It’s not like he’s an unknown commodity - obviously Shanahan knows him better than most. Which leads to

3. Wait until you see what some of the rookie QBs get paid this year. Top 5 picks aren’t cheap either. And then there’s 

4. The QB FA class is gonna get $ this off-season. Keemun, Foles - these guys earned a fat paycheck. Cousins was always gonna get a big payday & I think Garapolo is as good if not much better than Cousins. And then let’s talk about 

5. ARod, Brees, Stafford, Matty Ice - these guys are gonna make the Garapolo contract look like peanuts. Finally 

6. Niners have 2nd most cap space, so no Mr Niners Are Gonna Hamstring Themselves Naysayer on twitter - they have plenty of room to do what they want this offseason. I think they’re 105M under, so they could actually front-load the contract. 

I don’t get the hate - dude passed the eye test and beyond. He looks like the real deal, small sample or not. I love the signing & finally feel like I’ve got something to be excited about. 

I'm a JimmyG guy now too

I'd be targeting whomever they bring in for his #1 WR because I don't see that guy on the team right now. A pass catching RB will be valuable for fantasy. He's going to throw ... a LOT - and someone will catch those balls

FF Ninja said:
I wonder how much they would've had to pay had they not traded for him...
The answer is... "who gives a ####". 

If there was no trade, they'd have little to no information on him that 31 other teams don't have... resulting in a blind bidding war with 10+ other NFL teams on the open market.... meaning Garp probably isn't a 49er right now.

The answer is... "who gives a ####". 

If there was no trade, they'd have little to no information on him that 31 other teams don't have... resulting in a blind bidding war with 10+ other NFL teams on the open market.... meaning Garp probably isn't a 49er right now.
Are you implying someone would've paid more than this if there was a blind bidding war for a backup with almost no experience??

You're picking a really stupid hill to die on.
Excuse me for opposing the group think which is siding with a rookie GM and rookie head coach. The notion that they couldn't have afforded him on the open market is straight up stupid when you think about what they just paid him. If they would've just waited a couple months, they'd have a high 2nd, a higher 1st, and a QB under contract for a fraction of what they just paid... and the results would be the same. They paid a high price to make their talent evaluation job easier. No way a coach like BB ever makes a move like this. He knows draft picks and cap space matter.

Excuse me for opposing the group think which is siding with a rookie GM and rookie head coach. The notion that they couldn't have afforded him on the open market is straight up stupid when you think about what they just paid him. If they would've just waited a couple months, they'd have a high 2nd, a higher 1st, and a QB under contract for a fraction of what they just paid... and the results would be the same. They paid a high price to make their talent evaluation job easier. No way a coach like BB ever makes a move like this. He knows draft picks and cap space matter.
It's not about if "they couldn't have afforded him" in free agency. Even if they chose to outbid other teams, it doesn't mean Jimmy G takes their offer when they're coming off a 2 (?) win season and have very little offensive talent to work with. And good luck getting offensive FAs to commit first with no QB in place. 

The same team that won 3 games in two seasons WITHOUT him went 5-0 WITH him and even worse WR options (and 3 of those games were vs playoff teams). Isn't that all you need to know to tell you he's worth it? :shrug:

It's not about if "they couldn't have afforded him" in free agency. Even if they chose to outbid other teams, it doesn't mean Jimmy G takes their offer when they're coming off a 2 (?) win season and have very little offensive talent to work with. And good luck getting offensive FAs to commit first with no QB in place. 
Anyone else willing to pay him a lot was going to have similar problems as SF. And let's not pretend most NFL players don't take the biggest contract. I know a few guys, usually aging veterans, will give a discount to a winning team, but (1) this is a rebuilding team not looking for guys on the decline with just a couple years left and (2) this isn't a real issue for the vast majority of players - biggest contract gets the player. For players on the fence, it's the GM's job to sell his vision and his team to those players.

The same team that won 3 games in two seasons WITHOUT him went 5-0 WITH him and even worse WR options. Isn't that all you need to know to tell you he's worth it? :shrug:
I'm not saying he's not worth it. I'm not saying it's smart or foolish to give him the biggest contract in the NFL with a large amount guaranteed after just 5 games. I'm just saying this wasn't a sophie's choice for SF.

I'm not interested in rehashing all the old arguments that have been discussed to death again, as at this point it's completely meaningless and you'll only see one side anyway - but one thing to consider is that the SF organization did gain something very valuable during Jimmy's audition that can help offset the cost of the contract: "hope".

I am sure their season ticket sales and merchandise sales have increased due to the fact that the fans now believe they have a franchise QB in place and this team may actually win some games. While that was most likely not a consideration at the time, it is a direct result. However there were many other reasons why this was a great move for them but like I said there's no reason to go back over them - they are all in the trade thread and here.

I'm not interested in rehashing all the old arguments that have been discussed to death again, as at this point it's completely meaningless and you'll only see one side anyway - but one thing to consider is that the SF organization did gain something very valuable during Jimmy's audition that can help offset the cost of the contract: "hope".

I am sure their season ticket sales and merchandise sales have increased due to the fact that the fans now believe they have a franchise QB in place and this team may actually win some games. While that was most likely not a consideration at the time, it is a direct result. However there were many other reasons why this was a great move for them but like I said there's no reason to go back over them - they are all in the trade thread and here.
It's cool that the vast majority of armchair GMs agree with this rookie move made by a rookie GM and rookie HC, but I still believe the reasons I've stated are the reasons why experienced GMs don't do s*** like this. You don't trade a lot of draft capital for the right to make your talent evaluation easier. You certainly don't do it when it might cost you a lot of extra money when you sign the player. I seriously doubt a market like SF was hurting for cash generated by season ticket sales or merchandise. A good GM would revitalize that market by turning the team around. 

Assuming JG pans out*, this trade did accomplish its goal as well as the "bonus" things you mentioned. I never said it wouldn't. The point remains that a good GM would've achieved these things at a significantly lower cost. Lynch did his job. He did not do it efficiently.

*all signs are pointing to JG being the answer. But if it turns out those 5 games were a mirage, this contract has the potential to be crippling. 

Doesn't this move kind of remind you of how rookie dynasty players act when they take over a team? Their first few moves usually involve some lopsided trades because they don't yet grasp the value of things like future draft picks. But it seems like everyone is giving Lynch the benefit of the doubt for some reason.

You don't trade a lot of draft capital for the right to make your talent evaluation easier.
The funny part of this argument is that teams trade a lot of draft capital all the time for the right to show that their talent evaluation is better (not easier, better) than someone else's. Every team sees every snap in college, every drill ran at the combine, everything done at their pro day and makes their own evaluations off of that. There is about a 1% difference in what is seen and it comes down to the private workouts teams do of individual players, and many times that difference is 0% because teams draft kids they don't work out.

With that being said, how much additional draft capital would teams be willing to trade (or re-invest in, for their own guys) if they could still go after players after they have seen a couple weeks of preseason action or even real games? How long do you think it took Cleveland to regret their decisions to not take Wentz and grab that extra capital, or pass on Watson? Or any QB needy team for that matter, even the Niners. Double digit teams probably wished they either trusted their guts, listened to one scout more, listened to one scout less, etc and did whatever is necessary to get Watson once he started tearing it up. 

You call people here "armchair GMs" but you're the one oversimplifying things and treating this like it's fantasy or Madden, as if every possible scenario has a defined and predictable outcome. The 49ers identified a guy who they felt could solve their QB problem. They paid a price for it knowing the full range of benefits and risks that were in play. They look like winners now. The next time, they'll probably be wrong about a guy. 

It's cool that the vast majority of armchair GMs agree with this rookie move made by a rookie GM and rookie HC, but I still believe the reasons I've stated are the reasons why experienced GMs don't do s*** like this. You don't trade a lot of draft capital for the right to make your talent evaluation easier. You certainly don't do it when it might cost you a lot of extra money when you sign the player. I seriously doubt a market like SF was hurting for cash generated by season ticket sales or merchandise. A good GM would revitalize that market by turning the team around. 

Assuming JG pans out*, this trade did accomplish its goal as well as the "bonus" things you mentioned. I never said it wouldn't. The point remains that a good GM would've achieved these things at a significantly lower cost. Lynch did his job. He did not do it efficiently.

*all signs are pointing to JG being the answer. But if it turns out those 5 games were a mirage, this contract has the potential to be crippling. 

Doesn't this move kind of remind you of how rookie dynasty players act when they take over a team? Their first few moves usually involve some lopsided trades because they don't yet grasp the value of things like future draft picks. But it seems like everyone is giving Lynch the benefit of the doubt for some reason.
SF traded a 2nd round pick.  You think that's a high price?  Come on, don't go there again.

SF had these options during the middle of the season

1) trade for Garoppolo and see if he's a legit franchise QB.  If he's not, go to Option 2 or 3

2) draft a QB like Darnold or Rosen

3) break the bank for Cousins

Option 2 isn't a slam dunk since Darnold (who's stock has dropped some) or Rosen (or Mayfield) aren't Andrew Luck type prospects....heck I am not sure that that they are similar prospects to Goff or Wentz.  It's going to take at least a year or so to develop them.

Option 3.....you can't guarantee Cousins would choose SF, also at the time you couldn't guarantee that Cousins would even be on the open market.

Niners chose option 1 and hit it out of the park.  Garoppolo looks like the real deal, SF won games with him, they signed him long term BEFORE the draft and BEFORE free agency. That's huge.  Sure they dropped down to 10 in the draft, but there should be 3-4 QBs going in the first 10 picks so very good talent is still going to slide to them.  Now SF knows exactly what they need to put around Garoppolo to maximize his talent, along with improving their defense.

To be honest, I don't understand why you can't see this.  As for if the 5 games are a mirage....sure that COULD be possible, but NFL talent evaluation is not an exact science.  You have to take some risks and hope they pan out.  Based on what we have seen in NE and SF, Garoppolo at worst should be a serviceable NFL QB, and could be a really good one, one that could lead SF back into Super Bowl contention a year or two down the road.  

The funny part of this argument is that teams trade a lot of draft capital all the time for the right to show that their talent evaluation is better (not easier, better) than someone else's. Every team sees every snap in college, every drill ran at the combine, everything done at their pro day and makes their own evaluations off of that. There is about a 1% difference in what is seen and it comes down to the private workouts teams do of individual players, and many times that difference is 0% because teams draft kids they don't work out.

With that being said, how much additional draft capital would teams be willing to trade (or re-invest in, for their own guys) if they could still go after players after they have seen a couple weeks of preseason action or even real games? How long do you think it took Cleveland to regret their decisions to not take Wentz and grab that extra capital, or pass on Watson? Or any QB needy team for that matter, even the Niners. Double digit teams probably wished they either trusted their guts, listened to one scout more, listened to one scout less, etc and did whatever is necessary to get Watson once he started tearing it up. 

You call people here "armchair GMs" but you're the one oversimplifying things and treating this like it's fantasy or Madden, as if every possible scenario has a defined and predictable outcome. The 49ers identified a guy who they felt could solve their QB problem. They paid a price for it knowing the full range of benefits and risks that were in play. They look like winners now. The next time, they'll probably be wrong about a guy. 
First of all, I'm obviously playing armchair GM, too. I'm just pointing out that a bunch of armchair GMs agreeing with Lynch means absolutely nothing. While there is an illusion of it, there is no real strength in numbers here. Second, I'm not treating it like fantasy or Madden. I use a fantasy analogy. Very different.

And it's easy to cherry pick examples of when teams trading back hurt them or when they missed a player. I can play that game, too. Do you think Washington regrets trading up for RG3? Or JAX regrets drafting Gabbert so high? Think the Saints regret trading 8 picks for Ricky Williams? But a trend develops over time. If you pay attention, cap space matters. How do you manage your cap space? You don't throw huge guaranteed contracts around and you don't throw away valuable draft picks. Rookie picks are extremely valuable even though the odds of any single pick panning out are not great. They are valuable because rookie contracts are relatively cheap. You can't re-sign every player you hit on in the draft, which is why you need more rookie draft picks to keep the cycle going. Good teams tend to trade back and hold their picks tight. Bad teams trade up, often in the first round (where the contracts are more expensive and the trades mortgage a lot of future draft capital).

SF traded a 2nd round pick.  You think that's a high price?  Come on, don't go there again.

SF had these options during the middle of the season

1) trade for Garoppolo and see if he's a legit franchise QB.  If he's not, go to Option 2 or 3

2) draft a QB like Darnold or Rosen

3) break the bank for Cousins

Option 2 isn't a slam dunk since Darnold (who's stock has dropped some) or Rosen (or Mayfield) aren't Andrew Luck type prospects....heck I am not sure that that they are similar prospects to Goff or Wentz.  It's going to take at least a year or so to develop them.

Option 3.....you can't guarantee Cousins would choose SF, also at the time you couldn't guarantee that Cousins would even be on the open market.

Niners chose option 1 and hit it out of the park.  Garoppolo looks like the real deal, SF won games with him, they signed him long term BEFORE the draft and BEFORE free agency. That's huge.  Sure they dropped down to 10 in the draft, but there should be 3-4 QBs going in the first 10 picks so very good talent is still going to slide to them.  Now SF knows exactly what they need to put around Garoppolo to maximize his talent, along with improving their defense.

To be honest, I don't understand why you can't see this.  As for if the 5 games are a mirage....sure that COULD be possible, but NFL talent evaluation is not an exact science.  You have to take some risks and hope they pan out.  Based on what we have seen in NE and SF, Garoppolo at worst should be a serviceable NFL QB, and could be a really good one, one that could lead SF back into Super Bowl contention a year or two down the road.  
Shanahan liked Cousins, too, reportedly and there's no way Washington was going to franchise him again at that price. They just paid JG the richest contract in the NFL with a crazy amount of guaranteed money for a guy who played 5 games for them. You can't seriously think they couldn't have signed him or Cousins for less, still had a high 2nd, and a higher 1st. FWIW, I'd bet JG turns out to be better than Cousins, but that's just me. It's very much uncertain. But if they did all that and he busts, you write it off saying NFL talent evaluation is not an exact science. Then why trade the pick at all? I know it's inexact, but a good GM makes his call without the expenses I listed above. They act like they're playing with monopoly money in SF. There's a reason you don't see good GMs trading a high 2nd for unknown free agents. It's not a smart move. They could have achieved the same result at a lower cost. A good GM would. A rookie GM might go the route Lynch did.

You've got to take risks in the NFL. SF paid a high price to reduce their risks. And yes, dropping a few spots in the 1st, losing a high 2nd, and paying $74M guaranteed is a high price. I don't feel like it is even a debate if that is a high price. There is no debate that they could have ended up with JG on their roster next year without trading for him last year. Is it a certainty? No, but that's the GM's job to make that happen. There is also no debate that JG's contract would've been smaller had he not had this audition. The whole thing feels sloppy and inefficient.

The way I see it, you either have a QB or you don't. SF has one now. The best of the best get paid a lot, In two years the size of the contract will look like its a bargain. 

The price of doing business in the NFL

The contract size doesn't matter. Nah, he's not worth it, but almost none of these guys were worth the massive deals they got.  It really doesn't matter because the 49ers have massive cap space.  Could they have saved 5 mill a year by not trading for him, and signing him this offseason? Sure.  They paid a 2nd round pick to get a long look. It's not a long look, but they know more about him now.  

What matters is if he the right guy or not, and if he isn't the right guy, when can they get out of the deal? If the guaranteed money is mostly in the first two years, good job.  

And it's easy to cherry pick examples of when teams trading back hurt them or when they missed a player. I can play that game, too. Do you think Washington regrets trading up for RG3? Or JAX regrets drafting Gabbert so high? Think the Saints regret trading 8 picks for Ricky Williams?
You're still missing the point, and in doing so, also made my point. Would JAX draft Gabbert so high after they had a few months of watching him up close and personal? Of course not. The Niners were willing to sacrifice draft capital in order to make a better determination on Jimmy G. Just because you dismissed that as not mattering (for some reason) doesn't mean that those with actual skin in the game should. 

The whole thing feels sloppy and inefficient.
On 10/30/17, the Niners traded a 2nd round pick for Jimmy G. They did that with the hopeful goal in mind of not needing to go 100% into college QB scouting mode, avoiding the need to decide between guys, weigh pros/cons of potential trade scenarios, avoiding all the due diligence on other FA QBs, hosting and selling themselves to FA QBs, going through extensive contract negotiations and being played by agents against other teams, to hopefully end up with the guy they wanted most.

You have a strange definition of "inefficient".

Users who are viewing this thread