What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jimmy Garoppolo, LAR (3 Viewers)

I don't think the Pats will let Garoppolo get away if they think he's a franchise QB.  And they've had him long enough to have a pretty good feeling about what they think he is.  Drew Brees and Kurt Warner.  Aren't those the only franchise QBs that have moved teams during their prime in the last 30 or so years?  If Brady were 35 it would be a different conversation.  But he probably has 3-4 years left in the best case scenario.

Speaking Tuesday, Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio didn't slam the door on a possible trade of Jimmy Garoppolo.
"Anything that we do, we're always going to do what we think is in the best interest of our football team, and that's how we approach it," Caserio said amongst an avalanche of completely useless Patsspeak. It's never made sense for the Pats to categorically close the door on a trade since keeping Garoppolo beyond 2017 would likely require the franchise tag. With draft week nearly here, we should soon know Garoppolo's 2017 status once and for all.

Related: Browns

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer 
Apr 18 - 5:36 PM

ESPN's Adam Schefter reiterated Sunday that a Jimmy Garoppolo trade is "not happening."

Schefter doesn't miss, and he has been adamant about this one for months. He acknowledged Garoppolo's name "continues to surface in trade rumors and speculation" amongst the media, but resolutely tweeted Garoppolo "isn't going anywhere." After Garoppolo spends another year backing up Tom Brady, perhaps the Patriots will consider franchise tagging Jimmy G next offseason and using him as a trade chip then -- assuming Brady shows no signs of decline at age 40. It's what they did with Matt Cassel after the 2009 season.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 
Apr 23 - 6:51 PM

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Browns made a last-ditch effort to acquire Jimmy Garoppolo on Thursday night but were again rebuffed by the Patriots.
Nobody has pushed harder for a Garoppolo trade than the Browns, but the Patriots continue to stonewall them. If Tom Brady really plans on playing for another 3-4 years, it makes little sense to stash Garoppolo, who is sure to leave in free agency next offseason. But for whatever reason, Bill Belichick is intent on keeping him as insurance for Brady. The Browns are in dire need of a franchise quarterback after passing on Mitchell Trubisky at No. 1 and later trading the No. 12 pick to the Texans, who used it on Deshaun Watson.

Related: Browns

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 
Apr 28 - 1:51 PM

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Browns made a last-ditch effort to acquire Jimmy Garoppolo on Thursday night but were again rebuffed by the Patriots.

Nobody has pushed harder for a Garoppolo trade than the Browns, but the Patriots continue to stonewall them. If Tom Brady really plans on playing for another 3-4 years, it makes little sense to stash Garoppolo, who is sure to leave in free agency next offseason. But for whatever reason, Bill Belichick is intent on keeping him as insurance for Brady. The Browns are in dire need of a franchise quarterback after passing on Mitchell Trubisky at No. 1 and later trading the No. 12 pick to the 
As a Pats fan ... makes me i'll to think of who the Pats could have taken with the 1.12 pick had they traded Garapollo to CLE.

Derek Barnett, Jonathan Allan, TE OJ Howard, or ILB Reuben Foster would have looked good lined up next to Hightower, 1st choice of ANY OL. 

Doesn't matter if Garoppolo has a 15 year hall of fame career ... because it won't be with the Pats when they are FORCED to tag and trade him next year for a mid 2nd rd pick.

There HAS to be something behind the scenes where Brady is on his way out. I just can't fathom any other reason to hang onto JG at the cost of a 5 year stud that could contribute WITH Brady. 

My last thread of hope is that BB makes a deal to CLE tonight for a boatload of 2018 picks. 

Color me skeptical of Schefters report. No reason for the Browns to trade for him now and give up all those picks. Sit for a year, see what's there next year in the draft with your multiple picks and if you don't like the options sign him as a FA or trade for him then if the Pats tag him. Cleveland definitely seems to be playimg the long game, no reason to panic once Trubisky and the others were gone.

As a Pats fan ... makes me i'll to think of who the Pats could have taken with the 1.12 pick had they traded Garapollo to CLE.

Derek Barnett, Jonathan Allan, TE OJ Howard, or ILB Reuben Foster would have looked good lined up next to Hightower, 1st choice of ANY OL. 

Doesn't matter if Garoppolo has a 15 year hall of fame career ... because it won't be with the Pats when they are FORCED to tag and trade him next year for a mid 2nd rd pick.

There HAS to be something behind the scenes where Brady is on his way out. I just can't fathom any other reason to hang onto JG at the cost of a 5 year stud that could contribute WITH Brady. 

My last thread of hope is that BB makes a deal to CLE tonight for a boatload of 2018 picks. 
You seem to give JG a 0% chance of being the starter in NE at some point. I suspect that that is inaccurate.

If Brady goes down the Pats can still win the Super Bowl...there are no other draft picks that can do that...at least that is my guess what BB is thinking...

Last edited by a moderator:
You seem to give JG a 0% chance of being the starter in NE at some point. I suspect that that is inaccurate.
Without knowing what the Browns offered, it's impossible to say for sure, but assuming the offer was #12+ the fact that the Pats didn't move him says they see him as the heir to Brady and have at least a loose plan on how to make that happen IMO.

Without knowing what the Browns offered, it's impossible to say for sure, but assuming the offer was #12+ the fact that the Pats didn't move him says they see him as the heir to Brady and have at least a loose plan on how to make that happen IMO.
+2

If Brady goes down the Pats can still win the Super Bowl...there are no other draft picks that can do that...at least that is my guess what BB is thinking...
B Belichick knows he still has a shot at home field for playoffs. R Kraft knows there are no more year 2 or year 3 windows for Belichick/Brady. 

Anarchy99 said:
give me a likely scenario where JG is the long term starter for NE.

Only ones that I can think of are Brady being injured (happened one time in his 16 years) and Brady retiring or being traded next year.

.... so maybe a 3% chance. I'd rather have the draft picks and the 97% chance that I wont need JG.

Only ones that I can think of are Brady being injured (happened one time in his 16 years) and Brady retiring or being traded next year.

.... so maybe a 3% chance. I'd rather have the draft picks and the 97% chance that I wont need JG.
3%? Where do you come up with that number?

My odds ( and I am a pats fan and Brady enthusiast):

6% chance Brady suffers season/career ending injury in 2017

8% chance Brady misses a 1+ starts in 2017 (and more likely to be later in the year when games are more meaningful)

15% chance Brady's play drops off dramatically in 2017

20% chance Brady's play drops below jimmy g's projected play in BB's mind

My odds ( and I am a pats fan and Brady enthusiast):

6% chance Brady suffers season/career ending injury in 2017

8% chance Brady misses a 1+ starts in 2017 (and more likely to be later in the year when games are more meaningful)

15% chance Brady's play drops off dramatically in 2017

20% chance Brady's play drops below jimmy g's projected play in BB's mind
so ...

94% chance Brady doesn't suffer a season/career ending injury in 2017

92% chance Brady doesn't miss 1+ starts in 2017 (and more likely to be later in the year when games are more meaningful)

85% chance Brady's play doesn't drop off dramatically in 2017

80% chance Brady's play doesn't drop below jimmy g's projected play in BB's mind

Not that I agree with all of those numbers but for the sake of argument.

IMO these odds don't justify not trading JG to bring in several young STUDS to put in place around Brady ... to help win NOW and for the next 5 seasons. Apparently BB has no use for elite young DE, LB, CB, or TE talent that could have been on the field week 1 of 2017.

JG will be a great QB and I can see why BB wants to keep him ... but I just don't see how the Pats are able to keep him on the roster until Brady is done.

so ...

92% chance Brady doesn't miss 1+ starts in 2017 (and more likely to be later in the year when games are more meaningful)

80% chance Brady's play doesn't drop below jimmy g's projected play in BB's mind

IMO these odds don't justify not trading JG to bring in several young STUDS to put in place around Brady ... to help win NOW and for the next 5 seasons. Apparently BB has no use for elite young DE, LB, CB, or TE talent that could have been on the field week 1 of 2017.

JG will be a great QB and I can see why BB wants to keep him ... but I just don't see how the Pats are able to keep him on the roster until Brady is done.
I don't know but there's a way to do it and I trust BB to figure it out

so ...

OK, I should have been more clear.  Those odds are obviously debatable but I wanted to put a stake in the ground upon which to begin to have a discussion.  I MO those odds are high enough to warrant a weight and see approach with jimmy g.  Specifically, keeping jimmy g for one more year, franchising him and trading him if none of those happen.  The cost then is a slightly lower value received but the offset gain is protection in case one of those negative outcomes arises.  As such, I too think it is far more likely that jimmy g is NOT the Patriots QB in 2018.

I suspect there are a handful of people that know more about this situation than the rest of us do: TB12, BB, Senior Kraft, Junior Kraft, and Don Yee (agent to both QB's).

I still think there is a much greater chance that Brady retires if NE wins another SB than is betting led on. It wouldn't shock me if BB and TB have regular discussions about if Tom wants to keep at it and who knows, maybe Bill is already advising Tom to get out while he can still walk and think normally. Sure, Brady says he wants to play forever, but we know that's impossible. Another year of getting knocked around and maybe Brady starts to feel every bump and bruise. Maybe Gisele puts her foot down and tells Brady to pick between her and football. Maybe Goodell concocts another conspiracy and Brady gets suspended for a year or Brady is found to use artificial assistance and pharmacology products to stay so young and productive. 

It may be as plain and simple as BB not having to worry about the QB spot for another year and then analyzing what to do in 2018. At some point, however, there will be a point where another QB is a better option for NE than Brady, and I would think it would be best for all parties involved to avoid getting to that point, Benching or cutting Brady would not be a good look.

The legend of JG continues to grow. This writer suggests Garoppolo would have fetched three first round picks in a trade. Lol. 

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2017/04/30/sunday-7-patriots-2017-draft-will-be-defined-by-veterans-brandin-cooks-kony-ealy-mike-gillislee-2/

Just go back through this thread from the beginning: https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/753219-patriots-looking-for-a-1st-and-4th-for-garoppolo/#comment-19735891

It's worth a pretty good laugh.

I suspect there are a handful of people that know more about this situation than the rest of us do: TB12, BB, Senior Kraft, Junior Kraft, and Don Yee (agent to both QB's).

I still think there is a much greater chance that Brady retires if NE wins another SB than is betting led on. It wouldn't shock me if BB and TB have regular discussions about if Tom wants to keep at it and who knows, maybe Bill is already advising Tom to get out while he can still walk and think normally. Sure, Brady says he wants to play forever, but we know that's impossible. Another year of getting knocked around and maybe Brady starts to feel every bump and bruise. Maybe Gisele puts her foot down and tells Brady to pick between her and football. Maybe Goodell concocts another conspiracy and Brady gets suspended for a year or Brady is found to use artificial assistance and pharmacology products to stay so young and productive. 

It may be as plain and simple as BB not having to worry about the QB spot for another year and then analyzing what to do in 2018. At some point, however, there will be a point where another QB is a better option for NE than Brady, and I would think it would be best for all parties involved to avoid getting to that point, Benching or cutting Brady would not be a good look.
I believe the chances of Brady retiring if (when?) he wins another SB are slim. As his father said, it will likely end badly and he will need to be dragged off the field.

Re the team, I agree it may be as simple as BB not worrying about it this yr and evaluating the situation again in 2018.

Yes at some point the team will need to move on but I think (hope!) it is at least 2,3+ years away and even then I don't expect Brady will go quietly into the night. Maybe he spends the last year or 2 of his career playing in home town SF should the timing work out?  

If Peyton Manning and Joe Montana can be cut to make room for the next franchise guy, so can Brady.  I suspect the Pats will do everything they can to avoid that happening, but if there's a point BB is convinced that JG can win more games than Brady then #12 will move on one way or another.

If the NE-Atl championship game did not have a SuperBowl-length halftime for the Pats' totally-gassed QB to recover, we'd know why BB is being so fussy about keeping JG.

That Belichick spent this offseason trading for more "now" on offense than he has in his entire career and wont let his backup go for less than a king's ransom has me wondering what he's wondering. Did he see the same sweaty, scared face on TB i did in the 1st half of the SB? Is the continuity just as important to him as the championships? Is he amping the offense for good Brady, bad Brady, no Brady, post-Brady? Is JG '17 a bridge to Brissett or retirement or not a bridge at all?

ETA: Should remind that i believed BB intended JG to be his franchise QB - no matter what Brady wanted - beginning in '18 until he wouldnt take the needle in order to start Game 3 this past season.

ESPN's Adam Schefter believes the Patriots will keep Jimmy Garoppolo beyond 2017.

Schefter was adamant all offseason the Pats would not trade Garoppolo, and he was proven right (as usual). "They were never trading Garoppolo, period," Schefter reiterated. "My sense is ... they are going to figure out a way one way or another to keep him there." Garoppolo's contract expires after 2017, so the Pats would have to sign him to an extension or tag him next offseason. "I think the Patriots recognize they have what they believe is a commodity and a successor in the wings and they have developed him, put a lot of time in him," Schefter stated. "They don’t want to lose him. I don’t know how they work it out, but somehow some way something tells me they will find a way to get it done."

Source: Bleacher Report 
May 25 - 10:57 AM

Speaking about his Patriots future on Tuesday, contract-year QB Jimmy Garoppolo said he "entertains any possibility."

"I don’t know, like I said, I’m not really thinking about too much right now," Garoppolo said in true Patriots fashion. "There’s just so much going on with OTAs and training camp is right around the corner. That’s where my focus is. We’ll cross that bridge when we get there, I guess." "There" will be next offseason, where the Patriots will have to decide if they're going to franchise Garoppolo, sign him to an extension or let him walk. Either the tag or an extension will be unlikely if Tom Brady returns for 2018, though the fact that the Pats have kept Garoppolo this long ups the intrigue. It can't be said with certainty what the Patriots' 2018 quarterback room will look like.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

"Obviously, I want to play," Garoppolo added, via USA Today. "That's just the competitor in me. I think everyone out here wants to play. And we come out here and compete every day for that opportunity. If you go out and earn it, it's yours."

JG won't sign an extension to be Bradys back up ... and the Patriots won't pay him franchise tag money to be a backup.

If Brady does not retire after this season there is only ONE way that the Patriots can keep JG on their roster next year .... they trade Brady.

Lot of talk (and speculation) about Brady and JG since the end of last season.  Does anyone know what actual offers were declined for JG?

Lot of talk (and speculation) about Brady and JG since the end of last season.  Does anyone know what actual offers were declined for JG?

Last I heard NE turned down 6 1st round picks because Garappolo is going to make Brady and Rodgers look like Ryan Leaf in comparison to him.

I wonder if BB is keeping JG on the roster as a way to motivate Brady.

Not that Brady needs much motivation but it is sure to have some effect on his preparation-effort level ...when the guy believed to be your replacement is ready to go in at a moments notice. 

As unlikely as this might be, I would imagine Bradys biggest fear ... being pulled from a game for poor play ... and JG comes in and facilitates a comeback.  

This thought should keep Brady eating healthy / exercising / brain training ... and whatever else he's doing to stay young / productive.

Really wouldn't have that fear / extra motivation with only Brissette on the bench behind him.

Not that Brady needs much motivation but it is sure to have some effect on his preparation-effort level ...when the guy believed to be your replacement is ready to go in at a moments notice. 

As unlikely as this might be, I would imagine Bradys biggest fear ... being pulled from a game for poor play ... and JG comes in and facilitates a comeback.  

This thought should keep Brady eating healthy / exercising / brain training ... and whatever else he's doing to stay young / productive.

Really wouldn't have that fear / extra motivation with only Brissette on the bench behind him.

You really think Brady is going to lose even one wink of sleep over concerns about Garappolo? I don't get that train of thought at all.  We aren't talking about Steve Young sitting behind Montana or Rodgers sitting behind Favre here.  .

Brady does not seem like the kind of guy that needs motivation.  He lays his desire to win out there on the field and that pushes him more than some concept of job security ever could.

You really think Brady is going to lose even one wink of sleep over concerns about Garappolo? I don't get that train of thought at all.  We aren't talking about Steve Young sitting behind Montana or Rodgers sitting behind Favre here.  .
Your opinion.

Patriots thought enough of JG to spend a 2nd round draft pick on him ... while Brady was still seemingly at the top of his game.

Now 3 years of training and evaluating him, they stated publicly (thru Schefter) that there was no offer that they would consider trading him for. 

I'm thinking that the Patriots value of JG is somewhere in the Steve Young range at this point.

Your opinion.

Patriots thought enough of JG to spend a 2nd round draft pick on him ... while Brady was still seemingly at the top of his game.

Now 3 years of training and evaluating him, they stated publicly (thru Schefter) that there was no offer that they would consider trading him for. 

I'm thinking that the Patriots value of JG is somewhere in the Steve Young range at this point.
From what I have heard / read, the Pats drafted JG because he fell farther then they thought he would and they were already starting to have some potential concerns about Brady's age.

As far as trading him or not trading him this year before the draft, I also read that despite what the other pundits may have felt, the Pats were not all that impressed with the talent that was available. Rumors circulated that the guy they wanted in the first round would have required a Top 5 pick . . . and no deal was available to them to accomplish that. If they could have had a mid to late first round pick for JG and they didn't see someone they really liked, not sure what the point would have been to trade him. If the other option was trading him for a first next year instead, then they probably fely they would just rather have Brady insurance.

I still think that the Brady plays 5 more years narrative is Brady's hopes and dreams but may not be the Pats true wishes. If Brady is still playing lights out, then he sticks around. If he gets hurt or starts to slip, if BB had his way he would consider making a change / move. 

Least amount of thought by the parties involved is having 2017 play out and revisit where things stand a year from now. More thought by those involved may be a succession framework for Brady to pass the baton to JG (in a lot fewer seasons than 5). They may have a defined schedule or timeline already . . . but they aren't going to announce it.

As for the Steve Young stuff, who really knows what JG is at this stage. He's made two starts. After two career starts, Matt Flynn had 730 passing yards and 9 TD  . . . and where is he now?

An anonymous AFC scout believes the Patriots are serious about keeping Jimmy Garoppolo.

"I know teams called about Garoppolo," the scout said. "I don't believe they were ever given a realistic price. Why? To me, the answer is simple: Bill (Belichick) thinks he's got the next great one." This sentiment was echoed by other scouts, an AFC front office executive and a former Patriots player. The Patriots' handling of Garoppolo has been baffling in the context of Tom Brady's recent play, but makes much more sense if the Pats believe Brady has only 1-2 years remaining. Absent a long-term extension, the Pats would have to use the pricey franchise tag to keep Garoppolo for 2018.

Source: CSN New England

Jul 20 - 6:31 PM

(USA Today Fantasy Sports) New England Patriots QB Jimmy Garoppolo has head coach Bill Belichick enamored by his ability, according to one scout. "Bill thinks he's got the next great one," the scout said. "I watched his snaps. I think he can be that. (Garoppolo) has a great base, and his mechanics are close enough to (QB Tom Brady) that you appreciate his willingness to learn and the coaching he's gotten there."

Jimmy Garoppolo played deep into the third quarter of the Patriots' preseason opener, completing 22-of-28 passes for 235 yards, two touchdowns and zero interceptions.

It was a surprisingly-long outing for Tom Brady's backup. The stats look good, but Garoppolo was stuck in neutral against the Jaguars' first-team defense. The Patriots' first four drives generated an underwhelming 123 yards. Garoppolo took multiple third-down sacks and attempted to heave a deep interception. Playing with the Pats' reserves, he did carve up Jacksonville's 2s and 3s, however, showing good timing and accuracy. To keep Garoppolo for 2018, the Pats will either need to exercise the franchise tag or kick Tom Brady to the curb.

Interesting outing...IMO the stats look better then he played...there were a few bad plays that he just can't be making...the kid can play once he gets comfortable...he has a nice poise to his game...it look like he is more effective when his legs are in the play...just seems to have more rhythm when he is moving...

Users who are viewing this thread