What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jimmy Garoppolo, LAR (1 Viewer)

Could not have been more impressed what this guy did with 4 weeks prep in a new offense. Just his ability to make quick reads and already have timing with guys he didn't know a month ago is special. This offseason will be interesting to see what weapons they put around him.

For those who listen to the Harris Football podcast, there was a good discussion of Jimmy G with Brett Kollman of the Film Room. Kollman said he really liked what he saw from him, but from a fantasy perspective would not start him this year unless he was desperate, not even in a plus match-up vs. Houston next week.

I'm not saying his opinion should be definitive, but if you're thinking of starting him (which I still am), it's worth listening to.

My biggest concerns are the lack of weapons and the complexity of Shanahan's offense. It took Ryan more than a year before he fully mastered it.

People were proposing that CLE would give the 12th overall draft pick for this guy before the rookie draft last year ...

... others saying there is NO WAY CLE would do that. 

Seems like a bargain now. Not going to find a better QB in the draft or elsewhere.

Is there any way that Brady wins the SB, rides off into the sunset and Jimmy G goes back to the Pats in free agency?

Is there any way that Brady wins the SB, rides off into the sunset and Jimmy G goes back to the Pats in free agency?
:no: he'll probably get paid well before hitting FA. 

IF Brady left, the best the pats could probably do for a veteran QB would probably be one of the 3 Vikings.

Even if they're not ready to commit to him long-term, Niners can franchise him (which they've indicated they will do).

Even if they're not ready to commit to him long-term, Niners can franchise him (which they've indicated they will do).
Good point, I had forgotten about that. Just seemed like the most Belichick move ever to get a second for him, season Jimmy with some game experience and then bring him back into the fold.

For those who listen to the Harris Football podcast, there was a good discussion of Jimmy G with Brett Kollman of the Film Room. Kollman said he really liked what he saw from him, but from a fantasy perspective would not start him this year unless he was desperate, not even in a plus match-up vs. Houston next week.

I'm not saying his opinion should be definitive, but if you're thinking of starting him (which I still am), it's worth listening to.

My biggest concerns are the lack of weapons and the complexity of Shanahan's offense. It took Ryan more than a year before he fully mastered it.
There have been a couple segments on him now, and @mattwaldmanrsp has featured him heavily on his IG account film breakdown. Great footwork and pocket presence. The numbers aren't there this year, but you can see he's really honed his craft since he was drafted. Will be an interesting off-season. Not sure Lynch is the right guy to be evaluating talent & building around him, but we'll see what happens.

There have been a couple segments on him now, and @mattwaldmanrsp has featured him heavily on his IG account film breakdown. Great footwork and pocket presence. The numbers aren't there this year, but you can see he's really honed his craft since he was drafted. Will be an interesting off-season. Not sure Lynch is the right guy to be evaluating talent & building around him, but we'll see what happens.
Several big name FA Wrs are going to be available this year. SF has the 2nd most cap room in the league. You have to think adding a true #1 wr for their new franchise QB is a major priority. 

Undefeated.

I wonder what all of the naysayers are thinking now after saying CLE would be crazy to give up the #12 pick to NE for him in the draft last year.

Those of us that watched him play could see he was the real deal.

Think CLE regrets not getting this guy?

Undefeated.

I wonder what all of the naysayers are thinking now after saying CLE would be crazy to give up the #12 pick to NE for him in the draft last year.

There were SF fans complaining about the trade.. go figure.  Good QBs are tough to come by.

Undefeated.

CLE has a bunch of QB regrets.  Wentz and Watson likely sting just as much as Garroppolo.  

Ever since Jimmy G announced as starting QB for 49ears, he certainly has made me a believer in his talents.  Despite crappy offensive supporting cast, he still produces.  It's only matter of time before 49ers' brain trust to build up a roster center around him, providing if they retain him next year and possibly beyond (they ought to).  

"Facing his toughest test yet, in the form of the Tennessee Titans' top-five-rated (by efficiency) defense, Garoppolo was unfazed and once again put up big numbers in leading the Niners to their best win of the season -- a 25-23 triumph at Levi's Stadium on Sunday.

Along the way, Garoppolo completed 31 of 43 passes for a career-high 381 yards with a touchdown for a passer rating of 106.8. The win was Garoppolo's fifth in a row as a starter, making him the first quarterback to win the first five starts of his career since the Pittsburgh Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger in 2004.

Many were laughing at the Niners because they spent a 2nd round pick on JG. The ONLY WAY to see what the kid could do was to get him and put him in there. Sure, it cost a 2nd, and these 3 wins lose a higher draft pick, but I think they can VERY CONFIDENTLY sign this dude to a long term contract and button him up for YEARS. No crap shoot QB at the top of the draft. Get the man someone at WR besides me and DropKick and those 381 yards on 41 throws and pass efficiency will only go up.

I vote JG for 2018-2028, Niner Nation!

I don't think there is a Patriot fan surprised by this...he seemed to have the "it" factor when you saw him play...would have loved to see him be the next in-line but unfortunately the timing was not there...I thought this was a great deal for the Niners at the time and I give them a lot of credit with how they handled him since they got him...their rebuilding efforts just got a lot easier...the biggest piece is in-place...

Another good outing by Jimmy G. 2 TD passes plus a rushing TD against the highly ranked Jaguar defense.

I wonder what his value will be in terms of rookie draft picks (dynasty not real since I figure the 49ers aren't going to let him go anyplace) 

I watched part of the game today. Garoppolo carved them up in spots. 

I wonder what the Patriots think about not franchising him? It would seem worth it at this point. It's also ironic that Brady is from the SF area and that's where this guy lands.   

I watched part of the game today. Garoppolo carved them up in spots. 

I wonder what the Patriots think about not franchising him? It would seem worth it at this point. It's also ironic that Brady is from the SF area and that's where this guy lands.   
What were they gonna do after franchising him though? They can’t have 45 million in QB salaries on the roster. Could have traded him then but he’d still be largely unproven. I’m still pissed they let him go for a 2nd but unfortunately he or Brady had to go and Kraft said it wasn’t gonna be Brady. 

What were they gonna do after franchising him though? They can’t have 45 million in QB salaries on the roster. Could have traded him then but he’d still be largely unproven. I’m still pissed they let him go for a 2nd but unfortunately he or Brady had to go and Kraft said it wasn’t gonna be Brady
Fair enough. All good points. They seemed to have been in a bind. Is that the story, by the way?  

Fair enough. All good points. They seemed to have been in a bind. Is that the story, by the way?  
Who knows for sure. Boston sports initially said Belichick was toying with trading Brady and keeping Jimmy and Kraft said Brady retires a Patriot. Later that report was kinda nixed. Either way, Brady wasn’t going anywhere so unfortunately Jimmy had to. Just wish they had gotten more. Anyways, glad he’s doing so well. Seemed like a good kid when he was here.

Hate that I snoozed on this guy in dynasty, but happy for SF fans. There's no hometown discount to be had here, but it's crazy if JimmyG is not every bit as motivated as 49er FO to get a long term deal signed. 23Mx5 sounds about right, 65 million guaranteed.

Who knows for sure. Boston sports initially said Belichick was toying with trading Brady and keeping Jimmy and Kraft said Brady retires a Patriot. Later that report was kinda nixed. Either way, Brady wasn’t going anywhere so unfortunately Jimmy had to. Just wish they had gotten more. Anyways, glad he’s doing so well. Seemed like a good kid when he was here.
As for what I bolded: That would not surprise me.

As for what I italicized: Yeah, it would seem that way. I'm sure that a first and maybe a first, second, or third in another year doesn't seem too much.

I'm also from that area and was there for both of them, but I'm a No. CT Jets fan. Like on the notch of Western Mass., but somehow always liked the NY teams.  

Hate that I snoozed on this guy in dynasty, but happy for SF fans. There's no hometown discount to be had here, but it's crazy if JimmyG is not every bit as motivated as 49er FO to get a long term deal signed. 23Mx5 sounds about right, 65 million guaranteed.
Conversely, I'm thrilled I had him as a thrown in to a trade I made in 2016. Pretty sure him and Tyreek Hill were spare parts in a deal where I moved Alshon.  :thumbup:

I'm biased as a Pats Homer, but damn if I'm not thrilled to be coming off a championship and now have Jimmy G steer the ship in 2018. Gonna be fun to root for. 

And if they get him a legit WR1? A-Rob or find someone available for trade. Hell, put Cooper in a sailboat and send him over the bay. 

He was offered a new contract by the Patriots, but not for starter money. Kind of lowballed him really. He would have been stuck behind Tom for an undetermined amount of time too. 

Conversely, I'm thrilled I had him as a thrown in to a trade I made in 2016. Pretty sure him and Tyreek Hill were spare parts in a deal where I moved Alshon.  :thumbup:

I'm biased as a Pats Homer, but damn if I'm not thrilled to be coming off a championship and now have Jimmy G steer the ship in 2018. Gonna be fun to root for. 

And if they get him a legit WR1? A-Rob or find someone available for trade. Hell, put Cooper in a sailboat and send him over the bay. 
Love that I kept him and get to pair him with Russell Wilson going forward. 

Sadly, I dealt Goff earlier this year, that division is looking good for QB play. 3/4 anyway. 

Where are we ranking him in dynasty? My guess is he'll be all over the map. 

Let's say Wentz, RW, Rodgers are tier 1 in some order. 

I'd put him that second tier with Goff, Watson, Cam, Luck, Winston. You could argue he's at 4. 

Where are we ranking him in dynasty? My guess is he'll be all over the map. 

Let's say Wentz, RW, Rodgers are tier 1 in some order. 

I'd put him that second tier with Goff, Watson, Cam, Luck, Winston. You could argue he's at 4. 
Had him top 10 after dealt and his landing spot. Got him top 5 now. As you said, he'll be all over the map. I personally have him above Wilson.

This guy has been average to slightly above average. I find it funny how people think he is the next Joe Montana when he has done nothing spectacular.   

This guy has been average to slightly above average. I find it funny how people think he is the next Joe Montana when he has done nothing spectacular.   
Fail.

He's the NFL's all-time leader in completion percentage and ANY/A (probably) for all QBs with 200+ attempts.  If he continues what he's done so far for another 4000 attempts he'll retire a first-ballot HOFer and will likely have won at least one SB ring.

I'm not saying he will continue at that pace, just that he's been absolutely lights out over a small sample size.  To combine the yardage he's piled up with that completion percentage is very hard.  And he's done it without any obvious NFL-quality starters at the skill positions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread