What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can we discuss pet peeves here? (10 Viewers)

driving thing, might be local to Maryland.

come up on an intersection with a right turn, yield lane at the light (a lane that ends up merging quickly onto the main thoroughfare, so you can get up to speed after making a right on red and then merge/yield). in MD, most people stop before making the right into the yield lane, and sit there waiting for clear space before going. 

defeats the whole purpose of the damned lane. 
Never seen that arrangement in Texas.

driving thing, might be local to Maryland.

come up on an intersection with a right turn, yield lane at the light (a lane that ends up merging quickly onto the main thoroughfare, so you can get up to speed after making a right on red and then merge/yield). in MD, most people stop before making the right into the yield lane, and sit there waiting for clear space before going. 

defeats the whole purpose of the damned lane. 
Does it have a Yield sign at the start of the lane? That might be what influences people to stop first and check out the traffic.

Does it have a Yield sign at the start of the lane? That might be what influences people to stop first and check out the traffic.
Yes. Still makes no sense to me to sit back, stopped at the perpendicular intersection, backing up cars behind you, instead of in the parallel merge lane that was put there just for that. Worst case scenario is that you have to stop at the end of the merge lane to wait for a spot to slip in. But you don't have to also make the right turn. 

Yes. Still makes no sense to me to sit back, stopped at the perpendicular intersection, backing up cars behind you, instead of in the parallel merge lane that was put there just for that. Worst case scenario is that you have to stop at the end of the merge lane to wait for a spot to slip in. But you don't have to also make the right turn. 
People that don’t know how to merge should have their license and vehicles taken from them. Drives me crazy and is more dangerous than people that do 80 mph

There is one intersection in my city that is exactly what you described except there is no Yield sign and the drivers seem to realize right away that they should turn without stopping and then merge (and there's plenty of room to merge). It seems to work better without the Yield in this case.

We have the opposite problem at another place near my house.

There is a freeway off ramp that angles toward a merge which has mega traffic and there is a Yield sign.

Cars coming off of the freeway completely ignore the Yield and their speed is way too high for them to smoothly merge in and it's always a mess. In this case, I wish more would at least slow down and take a look before speeding into the traffic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Decimate does NOT mean devastate. It means to wipe out one tenth of something - hence the ‘dec’ prefix. Nobody seems to understand this. 
This is one of those terms that, if used correctly, everybody will think you've misspoken.  Very annoying.

TakiToki said:
Corks in whiskey bottles. I'm a from-the-bottle drinker. I'm gonna take another drink soon, and it's too much effort to pull out for every drink. Can't leave it out, because I will knock the bottle over at some point. Leaving it partially in is the best choice, but too easy to accidentally pick up by the partially-inserted cork and there it all goes.
Are you wearing a cowboy hat and six-shooter while you do this?  Because if not, I don't think you're allowed to drink from the bottle.

(Drinking straight from the bottle is also acceptable if you're a mysterious gambler who is drinking down somebody's last swallow).

when people can't help but answer questions they have no business talking about, but they think using a lot of buzzwords and acronyms is a sufficient fill in for actual knowledge.

just say "i don't know the answer to that, but i'll help you find it if i can" or something.

saying things like "oh yeah, you just have to re-load the protocol" isn't helpful. particularly when the follow up is "what protocol" and you say "you know.. the protocols are what you use. it's just a protocol thing."

just punt

when ordering takeout & the restaurant says "30 minutes", but you live 15 minutes away.. don't leave the house 30 minutes later and then complain that the restaurant ####ed up because the food is cold when you get home.
I hate it more when you're quoted 30 minutes, get there in 20 and your food is sitting there waiting. How long has it been there?? And it could have sat 10 more minutes had I been "on time".

We have the opposite problem at another place near my house.

There is a freeway off ramp that angles toward a merge which has mega traffic and there is a Yield sign.

Cars coming off of the freeway completely ignore the Yield and their speed is way too high for them to smoothly merge in and it's always a mess. In this case, I wish more would at least slow down and take a look before speeding into the traffic.
I have to deal with similar nonsense every morning driving to work.  I have to make a right turn into an industrial park right after the interstate off ramp dumps onto the road.  Ramp traffic has a yield sign, but in the morning the vast majority of traffic is making the same right as me and just comes barreling onto the road.  The more "courteous" ones will ride in the shoulder instead of the road to show they are making the right and not continuing, but that obviously doesn't help me because I am making the same turn as them.  Then 1 in 10 of the interstate drivers will actually obey the yield sign and slow way down, and all Hell breaks loose as people start trying to go around them.   :wall:

I have a very specific one and the pitching mound reminded me of it.

We play in tons of softball tournaments. And there is always one or 2 teams that no one retrieves ####### foul balls. Not a player, not a coach not even a freaking fan.  It's pretty basic your responsible for your side ffs.  We only get like 3 balls a game and sure enough.  We will be in the middle of an at bat and we ran out of balls because the jack holes never got foul balls, so we all wait...

This is one of those terms that, if used correctly, everybody will think you've misspoken.  Very annoying.
The meanings of words change over time.  It is not wrong to use modern meanings.  I'm not sure why decimate bothers some people more than other words.  But language changes daily/monthly/yearly.  Plus decimate being used as devastate is hundreds of years old.  Not exactly new.

So...dad was a big fan of Family Feud.  And I catch it on gameshow network from time to time...and get down the rabbit hole on youtube watching goofy clips.

But has anyone ever won the first "toss up" buzz in question...and passed?  Why do they always look back at their family before saying they will play.  Of course you are going to play.  

So...dad was a big fan of Family Feud.  And I catch it on gameshow network from time to time...and get down the rabbit hole on youtube watching goofy clips.

But has anyone ever won the first "toss up" buzz in question...and passed?  Why do they always look back at their family before saying they will play.  Of course you are going to play.  
I swear I remember one time years ago someone passed and ended up losing because of it.

This is the time of year I start cursing plow trucks and the city planning commission, thanks to all the snow at the end of my driveway. 

City decided they wanted curbs at all new intersection repavings. So now when the plows come through they either drive real slowly or they leave a huge amount of space unplowed so they dont smash the curb. 

When they drive slow it doesnt send the snow flying like it used to. So it piles up right at the curb. As it keeps building up the snow no longer can clear the height of the snow mound. So it just gets pushed. Until my driveway opening. 

I have to shovel the end of my driveway so many times when it snows. 3-4 times as often as before the curb was installed and it is so much more snow. The mounds at the end of my driveway are so tall I have to scoop the snow into a whellbarrow and move it now. The difference in height of the snow where the curbs are compared to no curbs is insane. 

My wife said she was going to use our spin bike. After 40 minutes of changing into workout clothes, futzing with her bluetooth headphones, finding a YouTube video to watch, she has yet to start pedaling. I'd be done with my workout twice over by now.

GIRTH-y couples who monopolize the sidewalk, whilst dawdling at a robust .0000002 MPH. 

my fault for not running up at the track in the park, granted ... and maybe one of these behemoths can cite "over zealous runners on city sidewalks who brush by you and make contact while they hurl F-BOMBS" 

let them. 

combined weight was easily 650+, and their ears were too Dumbo like to hear my ### warning them to get the #### out my way. 

:boxing:

GIRTH-y couples who monopolize the sidewalk, whilst dawdling at a robust .0000002 MPH. 

my fault for not running up at the track in the park, granted ... and maybe one of these behemoths can cite "over zealous runners on city sidewalks who brush by you and make contact while they hurl F-BOMBS" 

let them. 

combined weight was easily 650+, and their ears were too Dumbo like to hear my ### warning them to get the #### out my way. 

Nothing more annoying at the beach on the sidewalk of A1A than a couple who won't pass single file when there clearly isn't room to pass each other side by side let alone if there is a 2nd couple coming in the opposite direction at the moment of the intersection shall we say....holding hands side by side and all but forcing folks into the street to pass, beach life just isn't for everyone. 

let them. 

I'm guessing both looking down staring at their phones too.

I'm guessing both looking down staring at their phones too.

This might be my biggest gripe right now about society.  If you're walking in a store or in a cross walk or just milling about in general, STOP LOOKING DOWN AT YOUR PHONE!   Pull the "F" over and finish whatever it is you're doing.  Get out of my way.  Just adds to the human cholesterol problem we have now that Covid is over and everybody is out and about.  Heads up, friends.  Heads.  Up.  

And don't get me started on the dottards that walk and Facetime at the same time.  Beyond looking incredibly stupid doing it, one of y'alls is going to get run over and I'm only going to feel bad for the driver.

This might be my biggest gripe right now about society.  If you're walking in a store or in a cross walk or just milling about in general, STOP LOOKING DOWN AT YOUR PHONE!   Pull the "F" over and finish whatever it is you're doing.  Get out of my way.  Just adds to the human cholesterol problem we have now that Covid is over and everybody is out and about.  Heads up, friends.  Heads.  Up.  

And don't get me started on the dottards that walk and Facetime at the same time.  Beyond looking incredibly stupid doing it, one of y'alls is going to get run over and I'm only going to feel bad for the driver.
I see it all the time on the bike/walking trail.  People staring at their phones, not conversing.  Look around, enjoy the outdoors!

I see it all the time on the bike/walking trail.  People staring at their phones, not conversing.  Look around, enjoy the outdoors!

If I'm on a run and see a guy doing this in the middle of the sidewalk I wait until I'm about 30 feet away. I'll take a few louder steps, just to watch him look up suddenly and scurry when he realizes this sweaty guy is about to step on his front foot.

Cracks me up every time. 

So yes that is definitely a pet peeves but I had one earlier this year that was pretty funny.

We were up in Niagara, in a park where the falls runs down too. We are walking on the path and didn't realize people run there.  So we here "left, left, left".... We realize what it is and move over to the right and the woman, running slows down because we moved into her way, gets all pissy and say "I said LEFT". :lmao:

I made my wife get out of line and go stand somewhere because she was talking on the phone.   She got all pissed. She came back all mad and I just told her everyone here didn't want to hear your conversation, including myself.   That made the rest of the night fun 

I made my wife get out of line and go stand somewhere because she was talking on the phone.   She got all pissed. She came back all mad and I just told her everyone here didn't want to hear your conversation, including myself.   That made the rest of the night fun 

Typical car trips to visit the in-laws with the wife and kids. Wife: "Do you mind if I work on the way down?"  Me: "YES I DO MIND...you working = talking on the phone and everyone has to be quiet and I can't even listen to the radio

Little known fact:  A certain % of the population was born with their heads up their butt.  Doctors performing the child birth usually pull it out before the mother notices, but quite often the child returns to their original birth position at a later date.

belljr said:
So yes that is definitely a pet peeves but I had one earlier this year that was pretty funny.

We were up in Niagara, in a park where the falls runs down too. We are walking on the path and didn't realize people run there.  So we here "left, left, left".... We realize what it is and move over to the right and the woman, running slows down because we moved into her way, gets all pissy and say "I said LEFT". :lmao:

should said "oh, you probably pass on the right in your car too, don't you"

I have absolutely shouldered people in this city, and also come real close to the point where I startled them, they think someone is about to plow into them, and then I step aside neatly. There is nothing positive about what I am doing, but it makes me happy for a few minutes.  

What really brings me joy is riding my bike, and people stand stupidly in the bike lane, looking down at their phone. I'll gather a little more speed, hug the curb, and then scream, HEYLOOKOUTNOW, real quick as I buzz by.  I have three confirmed dropped phones in the last two years. I'm shopping around for small Rose Gold iPhone stickers, that I can apply to my bike like notches on a gun stock.  

leftcoastguy7 said:
Volleyball players that have to celebrate with a group hug after EVERY SINGLE PLAY

There's actually strategy behind this believe it or not. There's a serve clock and they allow time for embraces before starting the clock. So all of these players are forcing hugs to allow for a few extra seconds of rest.

:themoreyouknow:

This might be an odd one, but slacklines.

Specifically, brightly colored slacklines between trees in my neighbors' front yards.  There are like 4 or 5 of these eyesores in my neighborhood.  I have not once seen anyone using them - which just adds to my distaste - but they are always there.

There's actually strategy behind this believe it or not. There's a serve clock and they allow time for embraces before starting the clock. So all of these players are forcing hugs to allow for a few extra seconds of rest.

:themoreyouknow:
Dont your opponents get to rest too then? 

If this was truly strategic you would see the more physically fit teams never celebrating and the out of shape teams doing fully choreographed hand shake routines. 

Dogs on hiking trails. 

Eta: should specify here. I mean trails going up mountains. Easy flat trails have at it. Steep, narrow, rocky trails, keep fido at home. 

Users who are viewing this thread