What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2015 Cowboys Thread- 4-12. We won the 4th pick! (1 Viewer)

We'll see what happens but my gut says he doesn't leave Dallas without a deal. It would really free the Cowboys up to draft a number of positions my only fear is if filling the pass rush need causes them to go RB round one but I'm getting ahead of myself anyways.

We'll see what happens but my gut says he doesn't leave Dallas without a deal. It would really free the Cowboys up to draft a number of positions my only fear is if filling the pass rush need causes them to go RB round one but I'm getting ahead of myself anyways.
I admit I'm not very knowledgeable about the draft but in theory, I want another mean nasty Olineman and trade back up for Gurley or vice versa.

Edit to add I believe you're right about signing Hardy. It's a good sign hes staying an extra day -he was allegedly going to visit Tampa today.

I'm Allin as long as there's some protection in case he gets in trouble again.

You guys do know he may be disciplined by the league and miss up to six games?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hardy could be a real difference maker. Hearing that he likely will be suspended for 4 games. There is also talk that Hardy may want a 1 year deal. I want this guy long term if we sign him.

As for the draft, I still think we go best Defensive player on the board at 27. IMO...Gurley will be long gone off the board. Plenty of talent there in the second. I am not high on Gordon, so I hope we don't take him.

Hardy could be a real difference maker. Hearing that he likely will be suspended for 4 games. There is also talk that Hardy may want a 1 year deal. I want this guy long term if we sign him.

As for the draft, I still think we go best Defensive player on the board at 27. IMO...Gurley will be long gone off the board. Plenty of talent there in the second. I am not high on Gordon, so I hope we don't take him.
Newy Scruggs@newyscruggs 32m32 minutes ago
Greg Hardy's agent says it's the #Cowboys or #Bucs. The pass rusher will decide today

We'd basically get him for half a season by the time he serves his suspension and then gets into "game shape". So yes, I think we'd still need DLine help in the 1st round. And I'm sure he's going to want a 1-year deal so he can prove himself and then cash in. It will be interesting to see if Dallas will give him what he's going to want with their new conservative mentality.

Same here I assume he wants a one year deal just to show himself and to show he can stay out of trouble then look to cash in but hopefully the seemingly general lack of interest in his services, with the exception of a few teams, allows them to work something out where the Cowboys have the option to keep him at the very least a second year if they choose.

I hear that Seattle and Tampa don't really have interest. It's probably just Drew trying to drive up the deal.

He certainly is not one of "the right kind of guy" Jason Garrett is always talking about. I wonder if he is on board with this.

From today's Dallas Morning News...

"...., Hardy was arrested when an argument between him and his girlfriend at the time, Nicole Holder, resulted in both parties making 911 calls.

Holder told police that Hardy, in a jealous rage, threw her into a bathtub, pulled her out by her hair, then threw her onto a futon covered with semi-automatic weapons that Hardy told her were loaded. She stated at one point that the hulking defensive end put his hands around her throat.

“He looked me in my eyes, and he told me he was going to kill me,’’ was Holder’s initial testimony.

A judge found Hardy guilty in July and gave him 18 months probation after suspending a 60-day jail sentence. Hardy and his lawyers appealed, asking for a jury trial in a superior court. That allowed him to play for the Panthers.

That lasted only one game. Carolina decided to put Hardy on the commissioner’s exempt list while he awaited trail. His season was over.

Charges against him were dismissed last month when Holder, who has not spoken to the district attorney since November, failed to appear in court. The prosecutor stated “extraordinary measures’’ to find Holder were unsuccessful and that she had agreed to a settlement with the defendant that would head off any potential civil action."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20150317-moore-cowboys-could-finalize-deal-for-pass-rusher-greg-hardy-today-sources-say.ece

Well in Texas he will be able to strap his semiautomatic weapons to his person, like Rambo, so he won't have to worry about them disturbing his sleep. I am totally against violence against women but I would be more open to her motives if she hadn't agreed to settle with him out of court

Heard he was seen in VR wearing a boys hat...still officially unofficial at this point.

Greg Hardy - DL - Cowboys
Cowboys signed DE Greg Hardy, formerly of the Panthers, to a one-year, $11.3 million contract.
The 2014 Cowboys finished 28th in sacks. Hardy recorded 27 sacks from 2012-2013 before sitting out all but one game last season on the Commissioner's Exempt List. He'll be a "closer" for the Cowboys, who got pressure on quarterbacks last season but couldn't finish the job. Expect Hardy to slide in at right end, with Demarcus Lawrence opposite him. Hardy is a three-down player, though he may be looking at a short suspension to start the season.
Related: Panthers

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports
Mar 18 - 3:44 PM

Greg Hardy - DL - Cowboys
Cowboys signed DE Greg Hardy, formerly of the Panthers, to a one-year, $11.3 million contract.
The 2014 Cowboys finished 28th in sacks. Hardy recorded 27 sacks from 2012-2013 before sitting out all but one game last season on the Commissioner's Exempt List. He'll be a "closer" for the Cowboys, who got pressure on quarterbacks last season but couldn't finish the job. Expect Hardy to slide in at right end, with Demarcus Lawrence opposite him. Hardy is a three-down player, though he may be looking at a short suspension to start the season.
Related: Panthers

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports
Mar 18 - 3:44 PM
11.3 Million !!! WOW... A lot of $$$$ for someone who is going to miss time..

I heard it was a minimum salary with incentives that can raise it to 11 or 13 million.
Jeez I hope so. Maybe I was being a little too optimistic but I exprected waaaaay less than 11.3. Hopefully someone breaks the contract down for what it really is shortly.

ProFootballTalkVerified account@ProFootballTalk
Greg Hardy's salary is $750K. Workout bonus of $1.3116M. $9.25M in per-game roster bonuses. $1.3116M in incentives based on sacks.

12:56 PM - 18 Mar 2015
Eh so basically all he has to do is play in the games (that hes not suspended for) to make most of the money? Im still happy to have him but I really expected a much much cheaper deal.

Eta: Although I just read from some self proclaimed contract guy that based on PFTs numbers that since the money is largely roster bonuses that Hardy will count 2.6 million against the cap, which I guess is really all that matters. If thats accurate then I feel better, it aint my money.

Spotrac @spotrac · 13m 13 minutes ago
Per @ProFootballTalk #’s, Hardy is set to count $2.6M against the #Cowboys 2015 cap. The power of per-game bonuses. http://bit.ly/1FBH5AV

I really wanted a 2 Year deal or a club option. I get why Hardy's camp wants this. Franchise tag is close to 16 mil at his spot. Might be able to tag him for a year while we are in the Romo window.

I think this really puts us in a great spot for the draft. CB/DT being the biggest areas of need imo...with S/DE and LB for the defense.

I really wanted a 2 Year deal or a club option. I get why Hardy's camp wants this. Franchise tag is close to 16 mil at his spot. Might be able to tag him for a year while we are in the Romo window.

I think this really puts us in a great spot for the draft. CB/DT being the biggest areas of need imo...with S/DE and LB for the defense.
According to Spotrac, he can't be tagged in 2016.

One way for Hardy to protect himself should he have a monster season...Sets up for a multi-year payday in 2016

One way for Hardy to protect himself should he have a monster season...Sets up for a multi-year payday in 2016
Yep, just saw that too. Can't blame him or his agent DR for wanting that. Still...a great deal for Dallas in the short term.

It does put DE back up on the draft board potentially.

So I guess all of those teams that said they couldn't ethically sign him this year will have their ethics adjusted next season? LOL The NFL GMs make me laugh.

NM. They aren't filing suit against Hardy. They are filing suit against the DA to get all of the evidence.

The National Football League (NFL) is suing the North Carolina Attorney General and the Mecklenburg County District Attorney over the Greg Hardy domestic violence case.

http://www.wbtv.com/story/28555399/nfl-files-lawsuit-against-ag-mecklenburg-co-da-for-hardy-evidence
I just had visions of Mara on the phone to Roger right after the signing to see how he could stick it to us again.

Friggin Buttmunch Mara

Found this in in a reddit thread regarding Hardy case. Pretty interesting:

Lenient?
I followed this case ready to throw the book at him, and after following the entire case from start to finish I came away convinced that the entire episode was a farce.

Consider the following:

• Aside from the girl, the only witness attesting to her version of events is a neighbor in the building who admitted she saw nothing and only heard a lot of banging and screaming.

• The cop on the scene saw nothing and the girl avoided him entirely
    as she admitted she was carrying cocaine and was both inebriated and doped up at the time.

• Hardy placed his own 911 call asking for a police response
    Only days before, Hardy had maneuvered to have the girl's crap taken away form his house by tricking her into going to Miami

• The friend who came with the girl testified on Hardy's behalf, specifying that
    the accuser told her that she wanted to get back at Hardy for kicking her out of his place

• The North Carolina judicial system is a ####ed up railroading calamity. The entire reason Hardy was "found guilty" is because to keep poor people from having their rightful jury trials the state forces cases to go through a bench trial first, and then only people who can afford appeals actually get their due process with a jury. THIS IS AGAINST THE CONSTITUTION

• There's no actual physical evidence of an assault taking place. Bruises can be self-inflicted or caused by engaging in offensive fighting; aside from that, there's no eyewitnesses or video or pictures substantiating the claims in question.

• The judge in this case is a renowned member of anti-domestic violence organizations, and she could not be trusted to be impartial as she specifically requested to adjudicate the case

• The judge herself admitted the only reason she found Hardy guilty was because of the testimony of the neighbor who didn't see anything, saying that she had nothing to gain by her actions. SHE DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING.

• What the girl accused Hardy of ranged from getting her arm stuck in a toilet lid to being thrown onto a bed of assault rifles to getting her arm broken to miraculously her arm is fine and it was really her shoulder that he broke to OK the shoulder's fine, I just have some bruises your honor. . .

Lenient? I followed this case ready to throw the book at him, and after following the entire case from start to finish I came away convinced that the entire episode was a farce.

Consider the following:

• Aside from the girl, the only witness attesting to her version of events is a neighbor in the building who admitted she saw nothing and only heard a lot of banging and screaming.
  • The cop on the scene saw nothing and the girl avoided him entirely as she admitted she was carrying cocaine and was both inebriated and doped up at the time.
  • Hardy placed his own 911 call asking for a police response Only days before, Hardy had maneuvered to have the girl's crap taken away form his house by tricking her into going to Miami
  • The friend who came with the girl testified on Hardy's behalf, specifying that the accuser told her that she wanted to get back at Hardy for kicking her out of his place
  • The North Carolina judicial system is a ####ed up railroading calamity. The entire reason Hardy was "found guilty" is because to keep poor people from having their rightful jury trials the state forces cases to go through a bench trial first, and then only people who can afford appeals actually get their due process with a jury. THIS IS AGAINST THE CONSTITUTION
  • There's no actual physical evidence of an assault taking place. Bruises can be self-inflicted or caused by engaging in offensive fighting; aside from that, there's no eyewitnesses or video or pictures substantiating the claims in question.
  • The judge in this case is a renowned member of anti-domestic violence organizations, and she could not be trusted to be impartial as she specifically requested to adjudicate the case
  • The judge herself admitted the only reason she found Hardy guilty was because of the testimony of the neighbor who didn't see anything, saying that she had nothing to gain by her actions. SHE DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING.
  • What the girl accused Hardy of ranged from getting her arm stuck in a toilet lid to being thrown onto a bed of assault rifles to getting her arm broken to miraculously her arm is fine and it was really her shoulder that he broke to OK the shoulder's fine, I just have some bruises your honor. . .
reddit? Ok. :lmao:

If the Rice video doesn't come out, we win the Super Bowl.

Hardy isn't all he's cracked up to be. Racked up most of his sacks in a few games and disappeared when Johnson wasn't around. That said, if you have the cash and no where else to spend it, there would be worse ways to use it.

simmonjm said:
I think I will wait and see what the NFL finds out before passing judgment.
There is nothing for them to find.
I would be more ready to believe that if Hardy's lawyer wasn't filing motions to keep the NFL from seeing the evidence from the first trial.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article11383256.html

Also if Hardy was avoiding her then why was she in his condo partying with him that night? I am not saying he is the monster some are painting him to be but I have a hard time picturing Hardy as an innocent victim in this case. At the very least he has shown himself to have piss poor judgement.

JetMaxx said:

Lenient? I followed this case ready to throw the book at him, and after following the entire case from start to finish I came away convinced that the entire episode was a farce.

Consider the following:

• The cop on the scene saw nothing and the girl avoided him entirely as she admitted she was carrying cocaine and was both inebriated and doped up at the time.
  • Hardy placed his own 911 call asking for a police response Only days before, Hardy had maneuvered to have the girl's crap taken away form his house by tricking her into going to Miami
  • The friend who came with the girl testified on Hardy's behalf, specifying that the accuser told her that she wanted to get back at Hardy for kicking her out of his place
I don't get the humor. Is football guys the premier message board while reddit can't be trusted? would it have really made such a difference if that post was posted here first instead of at reddit? Please explain legitimately want to understand your rationale

Simmonjm I think the piece from reddit would have more credibility if linked to some sources. I for one appreciate you posting it because it caused me to go to the Charlotte Observer to read more about the case. Some of what the reddit article states can be found there but other of its assertions cannot. I would be interested in finding the other sources.

Right now my opinion is that both of them are screwed up people. Hopefully they can both get their lives straight.

If the Rice video doesn't come out, we win the Super Bowl.

Hardy isn't all he's cracked up to be. Racked up most of his sacks in a few games and disappeared when Johnson wasn't around. That said, if you have the cash and no where else to spend it, there would be worse ways to use it.
He has 27 sacks in his last 32 games.

JetMaxx said:

Consider the following:

I don't get the humor. Is football guys the premier message board while reddit can't be trusted? would it have really made such a difference if that post was posted here first instead of at reddit? Please explain legitimately want to understand your rationale
I don't think it's any more or less legitimate than a post here. That is to say, it's some guy on what is essentially an internet message board making assumptions/guesses about things, many of which can't be backed up by evidence or real sources in any way.

The problem is you quoting it as a "source" and deciding it is somehow conclusive proof of anything. It's just another post here with someone, likely biased, trying to convince themselves and everyone else of something that they think/hope is true.

JetMaxx said:

Consider the following:

I don't think it's any more or less legitimate than a post here. That is to say, it's some guy on what is essentially an internet message board making assumptions/guesses about things, many of which can't be backed up by evidence or real sources in any way.

The problem is you quoting it as a "source" and deciding it is somehow conclusive proof of anything. It's just another post here with someone, likely biased, trying to convince themselves and everyone else of something that they think/hope is true.
Like most of these stories, I'd bet the truth of it lies somewhere in the middle of what we know and what actually happened. None of that changes my opinion that the NFL will crack down on him hard, as it should, to continue with their message against domestic violence. Jerry and Stephen and everybody else went into this deal knowing that, and we should too. Hardy is going to miss a significant portion of the season and I don't think any amount of justification will change that. At least when he does come back he'll hopefully be plenty motivated to prove himself -- both on and off the field.

JetMaxx said:

Consider the following:

Like most of these stories, I'd bet the truth of it lies somewhere in the middle of what we know and what actually happened. None of that changes my opinion that the NFL will crack down on him hard, as it should, to continue with their message against domestic violence. Jerry and Stephen and everybody else went into this deal knowing that, and we should too. Hardy is going to miss a significant portion of the season and I don't think any amount of justification will change that. At least when he does come back he'll hopefully be plenty motivated to prove himself -- both on and off the field.
He will be suspended 2 games at most and if the NFL tries to suspend him for more they will have their hand slapped by an arbitrator.

Users who are viewing this thread