What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Melvin Gordon, BAL (9 Viewers)

This is the first year I'm feeling good about Gordon going into the regular season.  He doesn't have to worry about Danny Woodhead stealing touches, it doesn't look like his backups are going to steal many touches other than when he needs a breather.  I think as long was the Chargers are still in the game, Gordon should get his touches.

not buying him as a consensus top 5 RB in most mags and on most FF websites..call me cray-cray or whatever, but Gordon's 3.9 ypc avg last season,coupled with the less than 1000 yards rushing , and an unsustainable TD number, significant loss on the o-line with Lamp done for the season before it even got started, there's almost  nowhere to go but down for Gordon..last year seems like an outlier than the norm..slight regression is in order here..Chargers' achillies' heel has been their o-line and it's significantly worse than last season, a lesser o-line..

and I never trust Ken Whisenhunt for anything.I know he was there last season,but he's a lousy OC, on a team with a bunch of new coaches and cast-offs from elsewhere...Gus Bradley as DC? seriously? eesh..  

I dunno, Gordon did all he could last year on 250+ carries and could only muster 3.9 per carry, which is right on with his career avg..

I view him as more of an I. Crowell, or lesser-type RB, only thing is, Gordon is going 2-3 rounds before Crowell and the others..what I would do is wait on Doug Martin, you'll reap the rewards..but to take Gordon at the tail end of the first round is just a reach.grab a quality RB at that point, or take Aaron Rodgers..but get significant value with the pick.but Gordon is  a 3rd round player not a top 8-9 player..not even close..he overachieved last season and I would not expect him to do better..not with Hunter, Williams, Allen ( if he can stay healthy),etc..

This whole "injury prone" discussion - wasn't his injuries last year caused by his diving into a scrum for a loose ball?  It's not like he's hurt each year on non-contact stuff. Last year just seemed fluky to me. 
I've been saying this for a year now, but people don't care because the injury supports the "injury prone" narrative they've already painted onto him.

not buying him as a consensus top 5 RB in most mags and on most FF websites..call me cray-cray or whatever, but Gordon's 3.9 ypc avg last season,coupled with the less than 1000 yards rushing , and an unsustainable TD number, significant loss on the o-line with Lamp done for the season before it even got started, there's almost  nowhere to go but down for Gordon..last year seems like an outlier than the norm..slight regression is in order here..Chargers' achillies' heel has been their o-line and it's significantly worse than last season, a lesser o-line..

and I never trust Ken Whisenhunt for anything.I know he was there last season,but he's a lousy OC, on a team with a bunch of new coaches and cast-offs from elsewhere...Gus Bradley as DC? seriously? eesh..  

I dunno, Gordon did all he could last year on 250+ carries and could only muster 3.9 per carry, which is right on with his career avg..

I view him as more of an I. Crowell, or lesser-type RB, only thing is, Gordon is going 2-3 rounds before Crowell and the others..what I would do is wait on Doug Martin, you'll reap the rewards..but to take Gordon at the tail end of the first round is just a reach.grab a quality RB at that point, or take Aaron Rodgers..but get significant value with the pick.but Gordon is  a 3rd round player not a top 8-9 player..not even close..he overachieved last season and I would not expect him to do better..not with Hunter, Williams, Allen ( if he can stay healthy),etc..
I think Gordon is more valuable than Crowell.  Not only is Gordon on a good offense, he also catches passes and he isn't in a RBBC. IMO that makes him a very valuable RB regardless of his points per carry, which he could improve on this year.  I wouldn't let the loss of Lamp scare me off either. Every player has some risk.

coupled with the less than 1000 yards rushing
Yeah, his 997 yards rushing was a world away from 1000 yards. :rolleyes:  And he did it in essentially 12 games (he played 5 snaps in game 13).

significant loss on the o-line with Lamp done for the season before it even got started... Chargers' achillies' heel has been their o-line and it's significantly worse than last season, a lesser o-line.
There is no reason to believe the Chargers OL will be worse, despite Lamp's injury. They moved from LT Dunlap to LT Okung, which should be an improvement. They moved from LG Franklin + C Slauson to LG Slauson + C Pulley/Feeney/Tuerk, which should be a wash or an improvement, since Franklin was one of the worst OGs in the NFL. They moved from RG Fluker to RG Feeney/Clark/Wiggins, which should be a wash, since Fluker was terrible; Lamp would have definitely upgraded this spot. Overall, this looks like a slightly improved OL.

You also can't ignore the change in the coaching staff, which could help the OL as a whole.

I think Gordon is more valuable than Crowell.  Not only is Gordon on a good offense, he also catches passes and he isn't in a RBBC. IMO that makes him a very valuable RB regardless of his points per carry, which he could improve on this year.  I wouldn't let the loss of Lamp scare me off either. Every player has some risk.
:goodposting:  

Gordon is likely to have more touches, carries, and targets, and he is likely to have more red zone/goal line opportunities, since he plays in a better offense.

The loss of Lamp is a big blow for the Chargers but the line is still better than it was last season.

Crowell is not in a RBBC. Since the beginning of the off-season everything coming out of Cleveland points towards Crowell being the feature back with Duke getting obvious passing down work and maybe give some breathers.

I still like Gordon over Crowell for end of season totals but I would gladly pass on Gordon at his ADP in favor or a high end WR or QB (super-flex league) if I knew I could get Crowell later.

Crowell is not in a RBBC. Since the beginning of the off-season everything coming out of Cleveland points towards Crowell being the feature back with Duke getting obvious passing down work and maybe give some breathers.

I still like Gordon over Crowell for end of season totals but I would gladly pass on Gordon at his ADP in favor or a high end WR or QB (super-flex league) if I knew I could get Crowell later.
Good luck on that. I'm sure no one else is targeting him.

Good luck on that. I'm sure no one else is targeting him.
You never know how any draft will fall but Gordon is typically coming off the board as RB 4-6 in a PPR and Crowell around RB 12-14. So the opportunity should realistically be there.

Crowell catches passes, and nobody is in less of a RBBC than he is. He will get about 250 carries this year.

Gordon is better.  But is he 2 rounds better?  Ehhh....

You truly believe that?
Absolutely.  Duke will get very few carries.  He's mostly been lining up as a slot WR in camp.  Dayes will probably get more carries than Duke.  Hue Jackson has said he regrets abandoning the run too soon in games last year.  Crow will get his.

Crowell catches passes, and nobody is in less of a RBBC than he is. He will get about 250 carries this year.

Gordon is better.  But is he 2 rounds better?  Ehhh....
I kind of disagree that Gordon is better. He has a better offense around him but I think Crowell is a better football player.

It's hard to tell with Gordon and his injuries but last seasons Crowell made some damn fine lemonade, like artisinal quality $8/bottle stuff, from Otis's empty tuna cans and apple cores...or his potato skins...or maybe it's his unwatched P90X DVD collection but the bottom line is Crowell did an awful lot last year with so very little help. 

Yeah, after the top 3-4 RBs come off the board I'm moving on to other positions and targeting Crowell a round or two, hopefully, later.

ETA: I play in a ppr super-flex league so there are more first and second options then standard or typical ppr leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Melvin Gordon rushed nine times for 13 yards and one touchdown in the Chargers' Week 2 loss to the Dolphins, adding 65 receiving yards on seven catches.

Gordon couldn't get anything going on the ground against Ndamukong Suh, who was blowing up the run game. Gordon was lucky to get his touchdown on a one-yard plunge; the Chargers gave it to the fullback from the one-yard line on the previous two plays only to see him fail both times. Even when Gordon struggles on the ground, his heavy usage in the pass game makes his floor extremely safe. Keep firing Gordon out there as an RB1 next week against the Chiefs.

Melvin Gordon reportedly has a "minor" bone bruise on his knee.

Gordon played a season-low 42 percent of the Chargers' Week 3 offensive snaps due to this injury. Gordon apparently suffered the injury in practice last week. Gordon's Week 4 status against the Eagles is uncertain. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport says Gordon "wanted to go back in" to last week's loss to Kansas City.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Sep 25 - 4:30 PM

guy's made of glass..if he doesn't score these cheesy TDs, he's just a useless RB..for his career he's averaging 3.7 yards per carry, in 2017, that number is now down to 3.3 yards..he's essentially  Ameer Abdullah .yawn. you can never consider Melvin Gordon a start with confidence guy. 

cringe-worthy starts, ala Jay Cutler..I'd be looking to trade to a desperate owner as soon as the bye weeks come rolling along

guy's made of glass..if he doesn't score these cheesy TDs, he's just a useless RB..for his career he's averaging 3.7 yards per carry, in 2017, that number is now down to 3.3 yards..he's essentially  Ameer Abdullah .yawn. you can never consider Melvin Gordon a start with confidence guy. 

cringe-worthy starts, ala Jay Cutler..I'd be looking to trade to a desperate owner as soon as the bye weeks come rolling along
I don't agree

Guy was a monster last year and has been good so far this year.  Their oline blows and hes playing with pass happy rivers who never stays with the run.  

need2know said:
I don't agree

Guy was a monster last year and has been good so far this year.  Their oline blows and hes playing with pass happy rivers who never stays with the run.  

You can really tell who is watching the games and who isn't in these threads. Gordon has not only produced the part (fantasy wise) but also looked the part since last year. Right up to this week. He just passes the eye test despite the bad OL. He's a very good RB, and what he does after the snap but before crossing the LOS is what makes him so good, and able to produce what he does despite the OL. 

I agree despite numbers he still just LOOKS good. Defintely a high value RB, even more so in dyno and PPR. He's become one of Rivers favorite targets.

You can really tell who is watching the games and who isn't in these threads. Gordon has not only produced the part (fantasy wise) but also looked the part since last year. Right up to this week. He just passes the eye test despite the bad OL. He's a very good RB, and what he does after the snap but before crossing the LOS is what makes him so good, and able to produce what he does despite the OL. 
He looks stronger and more confident in what he's doing as well

Posted this a few minutes ago in yesterday's game thread:

On Chargers radio this morning, Hardwick said Gordon was pulled because he was ineffective. They went on to play a clip from Anthony Lynn's postgame, within which he said something non-specific about making changes. Hardwick then said one of the changes he would make is to reduce Gordon's playing time in favor of Ekeler. Who knows if Lynn would actually consider that, but I thought it was interesting.

• Smile
Reactions: One
So is it the knee?
It's deff his knee. He didn't look right at the end of the game last week either. They should let Gordan rest his knee for a week or 2,T!he Chargers are going nowhere fast. Why risk further injury. A player with an injury will change the way he runs,and can end up hurting something other than his original injury...I'm picking up Ekeler(He's looked pretty good) in a couple leagues.B Oliver is not the same rb he was before his injury either(and he wasn't that good to begin with),So I don't believe he's the backup for Gordan if he went down.If Gordan keeps running with his knee issue,changing his running style compensating for his hurting knee,he will be the next IR casualty before you know it. We have deep benches,21 man rosters,with 1 IR spot,so their isn't much out there.I think Ekeler is a good bench stash and you can probably get him for free this week.

Just Win Baby said:

On Chargers radio this morning, Hardwick said Gordon was pulled because he was ineffective. They went on to play a clip from Anthony Lynn's postgame, within which he said something non-specific about making changes. Hardwick then said one of the changes he would make is to reduce Gordon's playing time in favor of Ekeler. Who knows if Lynn would actually consider that, but I thought it was interesting.
Well they also just kind of gave up on the run.  If Gordon is still really hurt why the hell was he active?

He's a lifetime 3.7 YPC rusher on ~500 carries. Maybe he's just not that good.
I was one of the very few who drafted Gordon before Gurley. I thought he was system proof.  I think the 3.7 has more to do with the team,but if he were system proof, it would be higher.

Anyone wading in here and buying low, either redraft or dynasty?  The inefficiencies concern me.  The microfracture concerns me.  The bone bruise ... eh, if they'd let him rest, he'd be fine.  

Are the inefficiencies a result of the OL being so bad, or a result of Gordon being meh?

When there's blood in the streets, buy.  But ... who's the sap?  The seller or the buyer?

Interesting.

It's pretty easy for Hardwick to say that after Ekeler breaks off one long run, though. The bigger problem is NOBODY is going to be successful behind that line... going on YEARS now. It's a miracle Rivers has been successful passing behind it as he has up until now. If the spanos family refused to hire someone to fix it over the vast majority of River's career I don't see it getting fixed over Gordon's career(which may be cut short due to annual knee injuries since he's been in the league).

But hey, the spanos family is just catering to the demands of his "home" crowd at this point. The people that pay for the tickets want to see the chargers OL struggle, right?

Interesting.

It's pretty easy for Hardwick to say that after Ekeler breaks off one long run, though. The bigger problem is NOBODY is going to be successful behind that line... going on YEARS now. It's a miracle Rivers has been successful passing behind it as he has up until now. If the spanos family refused to hire someone to fix it over the vast majority of River's career I don't see it getting fixed over Gordon's career(which may be cut short due to annual knee injuries since he's been in the league).

But hey, the spanos family is just catering to the demands of his "home" crowd at this point. The people that pay for the tickets want to see the chargers OL struggle, right?
Doesn’t seem there’s too many people paying for tickets to see much of anything.

Doesn’t seem there’s too many people paying for tickets to see much of anything.
I'm sure they paid a fortune for market analyses and feasibility studies etc, but this move to L.A. sure seems like an epic disaster when they can't even come close to selling out a small soccer venue this early in year 1.

Interesting.

When Woodhead was healthy, he played more snaps than Matthews and later Gordon, even though Mathews and Gordon were viewed as the primary running backs. Current OC Whisenhunt was the OC for that split with Mathews in 2013. People have been saying the Chargers need to get back to that short passing game Whisenhunt installed in 2013, which was a good year for Rivers and the entire offense, but Woodhead was a huge part of that, and they are missing that element right now.

Back in 2013, Mathews and Woodhead combined for 102/794/7 receiving, with most of that being Woodhead. Gordon and Oliver currently have 18/117/1 in 4 games, which projects to 72/468/4 for the season. Huge difference.

Not saying Ekeler is as good as Woodhead, as there very few RBs as talented in the short passing game as Woodhead. But Ekeler does have 5 catches for 47 yards on 5 targets, showing that he has some potential in the passing game to go along with the talent shown on his TD run. It certainly seems that his potential could make him more useful than Oliver as a complementary back to Gordon.

Football Outsiders' DVOA is certainly not a perfect metric, but it attempts to measure value per play. Gordon as a receiver is at -6.2%; Oliver is at -63.2% ( :X  ); Ekeler is at 88.7%, which is 3rd highest among 64 rated RBs, albeit on a very small sample size.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
They didn't pay a dime for any study...nfl wants two teams in LA. 
No, the genius spanos family spent all their money on stadium schemes plans that would never, ever, in a million years actually get built. So much money in fact that they can only afford a dollar-store GM.

Now they will get to rent out the Rams stadium when they aren't using it. I can't wait to see the giant swaths of empty seats in that thing..... there are only so many Eagles fans to hide your complete incompetence. Just imagine what the PHI game would have looked like in the stands if the Eagles fans wouldn't have showed up for the game in the small soccer stadium. 

No, the genius spanos family spent all their money on stadium schemes plans that would never, ever, in a million years actually get built. So much money in fact that they can only afford a dollar-store GM.

Now they will get to rent out the Rams stadium when they aren't using it. I can't wait to see the giant swaths of empty seats in that thing..... there are only so many Eagles fans to hide your complete incompetence. Just imagine what the PHI game would have looked like in the stands if the Eagles fans wouldn't have showed up for the game in the small soccer stadium. 
When built the Rams stadium will be packed and sold out every week.  Think Dodgers and Lakers. The temp venues are terrible. Parking is $100. People are avoiding for different reasons. 

When built the Rams stadium will be packed and sold out every week.  Think Dodgers and Lakers. The temp venues are terrible. Parking is $100. People are avoiding for different reasons. 
Were the Chris Everett Rams really selling out every week?

What do you think the parking will cost at the shiny new stadium in Los Angeles? I expect ticket prices to be much, much higher. 

Users who are viewing this thread