What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What kind of beer is everyone drinking tonight? (6 Viewers)

Ran out over lunch and grabbed 18th Street Rise of the Angels and Cone Crusher, and Bare Hands Cascade Trip, Honey Badger, and Raspberry That's My Jam for the weekend. Back to two of my staple NWI breweries.

I'll tell you what I'm not drinking tonight. The two six packs I bought yesterday and forgot to take into the house last night. Still in my car. Luckily I park in a parking garage at work that stays pretty cool. 

Hey, has anyone seen the Shiner Prickly Pear this year? I haven't found it anywhere. 

FW west side bravo.  An IPL I think.  Interesting.  Cheap for a FW beer and worth it.

Just cracked a DC Brau on the wings of Armageddon for the first time. Pretty psyched that I could finally get my hands on it.

Wiseguys in Merrillville has a really huge and good "build you own 6er" section -- and everything was fresh as hell. So:

Mikeller Waves, Mikkeller Windy Hill, Prairie 'Merica, Prairie Twist, Crooked Stave Petit Sour Raspberry, and Crooked Stave / Omnipollo Bianca Raspberry Wild Wild Brett.

Out the door for $30.  :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Windy Hill is damn good, right there with any NE IPA I've had outside of the MA big guns -- total soft citrus juice bomb. And I'm loving that it's fresh (canned 8/7) and cheap ($3.49 / pint) now that he's got his own brewery in the States.

I'm bracing for a hail of empty beer cans to be thrown at me, but is Hamm's the best cheap beer out there?  Tried it for the first time in my life and I gotta say it's not bad.  Doesn't have that after taste that the mass produced cheap beers have.  Kinda smooth actually.  At 30 cans for 10 bucks, can't beat the price.

What's your favorite "go-to" cheap brew?
Dad drank Hamms years and years ago.  There is an awesome Hamms bar sign at the Gerst Haus in Nashville.

Old cheap beer that only had at Packer games...Special Export.  Not sure it was ever a favorite.

for me...High Life Light.

Randomly found an IPA in the special fridge of my local liquor store - The KrHOPen IPA (play on Kraken) from Evans Brewing Co in Irvine. Very smooth.

Went to Big North.  The double coconut Benthic and a few others  were outstanding. 

Overall though, I think I am beer fested out. Don't think it was worth the $70 price tag. Not doing FOBAB after the $25 increase either. 

Overall though, I think I am beer fested out. Don't think it was worth the $70 price tag. Not doing FOBAB after the $25 increase either.
I've been there for a while GB. Last few I've been to have been more annoying than fun. Think I might just be turning into a grumpy middle aged old fart lol. I'm much happier at home pissing off the deck or sitting around the fire pit with good beer and good company vs a huge crowd of neckbeards.

I've been there for a while GB. Last few I've been to have been more annoying than fun. Think I might just be turning into a grumpy middle aged old fart lol. I'm much happier at home pissing off the deck or sitting around the fire pit with good beer and good company vs a huge crowd of neckbeards.
It wasn't the people at all. Even having to take an hour long train ride to the city, almost hour long ride on the red line and a 1.5 mile walk just to get there was fine. Started off great but after a couple hours it was meh. Most of the non shelf beers were out by then which I think was what did it. I don't need to travel 2 plus hours for Vallejo on tap. 

Place is really cool and I did get to have some really great beers now that I look back. 

Frangelic Mountain Brown good beer to watch Karate Kid.?
Tell me more about this beer.  I believe I have heard about it from a couple of co-workers of mine.  They had to travel to Grand Rapids, visited Founders, and had it there.  IIRC it is similar to Sumatra Mountain except it has more of a Hazelnut type flavor.  It is a nice brown ale.  I am also curious where you found it.  I am in PA and we get Founders out here but it is normally Breakfast Stoudt, Dirty *******, Porter, All Day IPA.  I believe I also found Curmedgeon here once, and had Sumatra Mountain on tap, and saw it in stores. 

But... I have yet to see Frangelic Mountain.

Happy all the Oktoberfest stuff is coming out.

Tried one from Nashville brewing company that is pretty good

and have a few Spaten as well.

Stopped into Calusa brewing in Sarasota tonight, first time in a while... They have 4 outstanding hoppy beers on tap right now - Citronious IPA, Focus IPA, Stormrage DIPA, and Oat-Rion APA. Im blown away at how theyve progressed since my last visit. Im putting these guys at #2 as far as Florida breweries for hops...Civil Society is the only one thats is better IMO. I hear theyre gonna be releasing their first sours in the next month or so, I cant wait to see how they turn out.

Anyone coming down to the Tampa bay area and want to have some good local beer, Its worth the drive to check them out and grab some growlers (but no crowlers unfortunately).

Happy all the Oktoberfest stuff is coming out.

Tried one from Nashville brewing company that is pretty good

and have a few Spaten as well.
Favorite beer season. I think sam adams oktoberfest is a very underrated beer. Did a blind test with several of my friends. 18 different oktoberfests. Sam adams finished no lower than 3rd and was rated #1 by half. 

Fully convinced me that anybody that says they dont like it either doesnt like oktoberfests or thinks sam adams isnt cool enough.

Favorite beer season. I think sam adams oktoberfest is a very underrated beer. Did a blind test with several of my friends. 18 different oktoberfests. Sam adams finished no lower than 3rd and was rated #1 by half. 

Fully convinced me that anybody that says they dont like it either doesnt like oktoberfests or thinks sam adams isnt cool enough.
Yeah...it's usually what I have at the one draft I have at BWW.

definitely beats all the pumpkin crap

This weekend's lineup will include 18th Street Chasing Paper (new Citra DDH APA), Mikkeller These Haze (take a guess lol), and Burn 'Em Hop Parade. Also have Kasteel Rouge if it gets cool enough for a fire at night.

The problem with Sam Adams is they make Sam Adams. Their seasonals are phenomenal. Regular Sam is terrible. Their Summer is fantastic as is their Winter. Love their October too. 

I have to say this. I broke down and bought my first pumpkin beers of the season. Yeah, I'm the guy that digs everything pumpkin and thus the reason for pumpkin being added to everything now :bag:

The problem with Sam Adams is they make Sam Adams. Their seasonals are phenomenal. Regular Sam is terrible. Their Summer is fantastic as is their Winter. Love their October too. 

I have to say this. I broke down and bought my first pumpkin beers of the season. Yeah, I'm the guy that digs everything pumpkin and thus the reason for pumpkin being added to everything now :bag:
I am also guilty of liking to have a couple pumpkin beers and spiced pumpkin lattes in the fall. 

Not sure if it's still the big whale it once was, but Founders announced they are releasing bottles of CBS before 2017 is over.  

I drink coffee everyday, but never go to Starbucks or get lattes....except for a couple times in the fall. 
I only drink coffee on the weekends and when it's colder outside. And I never get Starbucks either. But I get a couple of those in the fall, too. 

Not sure if it's still the big whale it once was, but Founders announced they are releasing bottles of CBS before 2017 is over.  
It's still a whale down here -- although the proliferation of really good BA stouts make it harder to justify going to extreme lengths to acquire any single one of them IMO. CBS is pretty much what I've been waiting for out of the barrel series -- certainly wasn't Doom, the BA malt liquor or that Froot Wood nonsense lol.

It's still a whale down here -- although the proliferation of really good BA stouts make it harder to justify going to extreme lengths to acquire any single one of them IMO. CBS is pretty much what I've been waiting for out of the barrel series -- certainly wasn't Doom, the BA malt liquor or that Froot Wood nonsense lol.
Yeah, barrel series has been trash. I wish they would have just re-released the classics: CBS, Bolt Cutter, Better Half or one of the brewery only beers like Maple Syrup BA Mackinaw Fudge Donkey  Stout. 

Yeah, barrel series has been trash. I wish they would have just re-released the classics: CBS, Bolt Cutter, Better Half or one of the brewery only beers like Maple Syrup BA Mackinaw Fudge Donkey  Stout. 
Yeah, hugely disappointed in the barrel series this year (along with Koz actually, too, although that was technically 2016), just a bunch of cloying sweet mess IMO. Didn't even bother to try Doom (knew it sucked from last time, plus BA IPA? lol) or DKML. BA malt liquor described as having a ton of corn character?  :X :X :X

I didn't think Koz was bad. I actually kind of liked it but I know i am in the minority. 

Sticking with Two Hearted at the moment.

OK....I've been "Jones-ing" to post in this thread for over a month.

The last time I did, I was drinking an opened 3 day old flat Miller Lite.  :(

@Ilov80s called me out on it specifically...he was right. 

It was not good!

Thus, can I consider my Maker's Mark neat a beer?

If so, it is a good one!

Sorry////I just don't do the Hops anymore....but luv beer drinkers.

We all just want to fit in.  :ph34r:

It was not good!

If so, it is a good one!

Tons of tremendous options in the craft beer world that aren't hoppy GB. Never any reason to resort to Miller Lite IMO.

It was not good!

If so, it is a good one!

Ever try bourbon barrel aged stout? Do you like chocolate, coffee, etc? 

Couldn't resist grabbing the last sizer of fresh Fox & the Goat as I swung through my local specialty butcher for some Amish free range chicken. Steph Izzard + 18th Street = damn good lawnmower beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
This weekend's lineup will include 18th Street Chasing Paper (new Citra DDH APA), Mikkeller These Haze (take a guess lol), and Burn 'Em Hop Parade. Also have Kasteel Rouge if it gets cool enough for a fire at night.
Chasing Paper is tremendous. Not quite dry hopped Fort Point level, but definitely in that ballpark. Juicy hazy Citra bomb, no bitterness -- just not quite as soft as Trillium. Little more flaked oats in the malt bill and I would think it was DDH FP blindfolded.

Users who are viewing this thread