What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Bill Simmons Podcast (3 Viewers)

I think he'll figure it out. He has referenced the first season of Kimmel's show (where he was a writer) as an example of how shows change significantly from episode 1 to episode 20. 

If the segment's topic was about anything other than Deflate-gate, that would have been a great episode displaying the show's potential. It may have also went on a little too long no matter the topic, but it could have just felt that way because the subject's been beaten into ground for so long. 

That 2 of 3 guests were HBO talent is concerning. If that's a consistent trend it will be another knock against the show. 

I thought the whole interview with Christina Hendricks and Michael Williams was super awkward.  I kept waiting for the interview to point to some connection between the two and it never happened.  Just bad. 

They also had "Tecmo Bowl" at #8.  Either they meant Tecmo Super Bowl, in which case, this is poor research/editing or they really meant original Tecmo Bowl.  If the latter, the writer should be fired on the spot.  That's not even a matter of opinion, that's like trying to argue that "Ernest Goes to Camp" is superior to "The Godfather."
I really appreciate any Ernest Goes to Camp Reference.. bravo

Funny thing is, I've seen Ernest multiple times, but never the Godfather

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I'm a sap, or maybe I just like quality sports programming, but I was genuinely rooting for Bill.

It's really disappointing and kind of sad. Podcasts have replaced most other forms of sports media for me (besides the games of course) and I kind of "grew up" with Bill. But now he's just like Jordan on the Wizards. Old and in the way.
I too grew up with Bill's writing and enjoyed many of his columns..  never got into the podcasts much, but was genuinely excited about his show.

But it sucks...and sorry bill, I'm moving on.

I unfollowed Bill and the ringer on twitter, and stopped recording his show.   If it improves at some point, which is entirely possible, I'll give it another go..  I'll keep an eye on this thread for anything positive for you guys who are sticking with it.

Maybe it's me..  sports were the most important thing to me 10+ years ago...  and they were still pretty important to me as my MLB team the Royals won the series this year... but sports as a whole I've had to cut back on a ton..  small children kill your time... and so it's entirely possible that he's still great, but I don't appreciate the art anymore.

Did the Cousin Sal pod get taken down for some reason? ITunes is not letting me get it and I have no issues with any of the others. 

Cousin Sal pod on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/the-bill-simmons-podcast/ep-113-cousin-sal-deep-dives-with-brendan-lynch-and-rnc-wrap-up-with-jacko

I too grew up with Bill's writing and enjoyed many of his columns..  never got into the podcasts much, but was genuinely excited about his show.

But it sucks...and sorry bill, I'm moving on.

I unfollowed Bill and the ringer on twitter, and stopped recording his show.   If it improves at some point, which is entirely possible, I'll give it another go..  I'll keep an eye on this thread for anything positive for you guys who are sticking with it.

Maybe it's me..  sports were the most important thing to me 10+ years ago...  and they were still pretty important to me as my MLB team the Royals won the series this year... but sports as a whole I've had to cut back on a ton..  small children kill your time... and so it's entirely possible that he's still great, but I don't appreciate the art anymore.
Introduce them to sports and have them watch with you.  Explain the game and get them hooked.  Worked for me.  my kids are huge fans......my son is also a Royal fan so he was ecstatic watching their run through the playoffs. 

IMO there's too much overlap between the podcast and the show, and the interviews are much better on podcasts. Would you rather see 10 minutes of Aaron Rodgers on HBO, or a 60 minute interview on the pod? Exactly. He should reduce the interviews and focus on things like the mock trial-- things he can't do on a podcast. Or like the "House Eats" videos from Grantland.

I'll admit that I didn't watch the mock trial but it's because I have no interest in Simmons trying to act, or whatever you would call presenting his case in a TV format. And I love Michael Rapaport. If you gave me him vs Cousin Sal in something, I'd watch. 

Listening to one of his latest podcasts discussing Westbrook's options. Felt like the entire segment was done just to brag about the Celtics assets and how they were the only contender who wouldn't be weakened by trading for RW. Is he hoping the GMs are listening to his podcast?

RUSF18 said:
I'll admit that I didn't watch the mock trial but it's because I have no interest in Simmons trying to act, or whatever you would call presenting his case in a TV format. And I love Michael Rapaport. If you gave me him vs Cousin Sal in something, I'd watch. 
Simmons wasn't funny in that bit at all, but Rapaport was hilarious.  If you're a fan, that is.  I could see him coming off grossly unfunny to some, but I like his shtick in small doses.

Listened to his most recent podcast on my commute this morning. He opened up with a rant about the MLB trade deadline being on a Sunday. That was factually incorrect. He said he was suspicious that a lawsuit was coming from the dude who Blake Griffin punched since he's not with the team anymore, before House pointed out that the fact he's not with the team anymore means it's much more likely that he has already been paid off and they've agreed to part ways. Oh and he also said he wanted to fix the broken PGA Championship because it doesn't work, before later saying that he only watches 8 rounds of golf every year (he doesn't bother until Saturdays of the majors). 

So....Simmons is now completely irrelevant isn't he?  Latest pod is a(nother ugh) Gladwell appearance where I'm sure he'll "think differently" about the Olympics (the description is that they try to make the Olympics more fan friendly).  One of the last Simmons podcasts I listened to was him telling Joe House that the PGA championship sucks and they should only play it on the west coast and the players should carry their own bags or something. I just turned it off halfway through.  I'll probably at least start this Gladwell one I guess.

I know I sound like a complainer and I am.  Simmons does 3 things well, it seems, when he is on his game: podcasts, long columns, and helped create 30 for 30.  Maybe that last one will get some sort of play through HBO.  But he doesn't write anymore and hasn't written entertainingly for a long time.  He has only had a handful of good podcasts on this new network.  Apparently Simmons the wannabe tv star has killed Simmons the entertainer.  So yeah I'm complaining.  Two years ago at this time, Simmons would be doing 3 podcasts a week, many of which focused on the upcoming NFL season, gambling, Fantasy Football, and funny stories.  You know, stuff guys like.  Now we're reduced to idiotic think-piece pods on improving things that no one complains about, except maybe tv delays with the Olympics, and 25 podcasts about how evil Roger Goodell is cause he doesn't felate Brady and the Pats like Bill wants everyone to.  Sucks.

Yep. 

I stopped listening when I realized all I'm listening to is Bill and House shooting the #### with no more credibility than my friends and I. 

He needs great guests and without ESPN his options are limited.

So....Simmons is now completely irrelevant isn't he?  Latest pod is a(nother ugh) Gladwell appearance where I'm sure he'll "think differently" about the Olympics (the description is that they try to make the Olympics more fan friendly).  One of the last Simmons podcasts I listened to was him telling Joe House that the PGA championship sucks and they should only play it on the west coast and the players should carry their own bags or something. I just turned it off halfway through.  I'll probably at least start this Gladwell one I guess.
You forgot the part (look one post up from yours) about how he knew the PGA needing fixing despite only watching 8 rounds of golf a year. 

I know I sound like a complainer and I am.  Simmons does 3 things well, it seems, when he is on his game: podcasts, long columns, and helped create 30 for 30.  Maybe that last one will get some sort of play through HBO.  But he doesn't write anymore and hasn't written entertainingly for a long time.  He has only had a handful of good podcasts on this new network.  Apparently Simmons the wannabe tv star has killed Simmons the entertainer.  So yeah I'm complaining.  Two years ago at this time, Simmons would be doing 3 podcasts a week, many of which focused on the upcoming NFL season, gambling, Fantasy Football, and funny stories.  You know, stuff guys like.  Now we're reduced to idiotic think-piece pods on improving things that no one complains about, except maybe tv delays with the Olympics, and 25 podcasts about how evil Roger Goodell is cause he doesn't felate Brady and the Pats like Bill wants everyone to.  Sucks.
Granted I didn't see the Summer Olympics here, so I'm just basing this point on the NBC's Winter Olympic coverage and comparing it to Croatian Summer Olympic coverage (anyone up for some laser sailing, handball, water polo, skeet shoot, rowing, or field events), but they are absolutely right about a lot of the coverage especially as it relates to pacing.  

I do think Gladwell is completely off his rocker as it relates to doping though.

I actually really enjoyed the pod with James Andrew Miller about his new oral history 'Powerhouse'.  I went out and bought the book immediately after the podcast was over.  Maybe it's the subject matter that interested me (they discuss Ari Emannuel, the agent who Ari Gold from Entourage was based on, as well as the founding partners of CAA), but it was a good listen and I would recommend.

Granted I didn't see the Summer Olympics here, so I'm just basing this point on the NBC's Winter Olympic coverage and comparing it to Croatian Summer Olympic coverage (anyone up for some laser sailing, handball, water polo, skeet shoot, rowing, or field events), but they are absolutely right about a lot of the coverage especially as it relates to pacing.  

I do think Gladwell is completely off his rocker as it relates to doping though.
Primetime is syrupy but nbc had every. single. event. lined up on its app and showed a ton of niche sports on their other stations. They did a glorious job IMO 

I haven't listened to him almost at all since he left ESPN, I suspect I will jump in again for Cousin Sal, but it aint what it used to be....

I actually really enjoyed the pod with James Andrew Miller about his new oral history 'Powerhouse'.  I went out and bought the book immediately after the podcast was over.  Maybe it's the subject matter that interested me (they discuss Ari Emannuel, the agent who Ari Gold from Entourage was based on, as well as the founding partners of CAA), but it was a good listen and I would recommend.
That was a good podcast, but it was also the first podcast of his I have listened to in months. I wonder how his audience numbers are holding up - anecdotally it seems like he's losing a lot of his long time fans like myself. 

I usually like the Gladwell ones, but the PED doping discussion went on and on and on.  Finally fast forwarded and enjoyed the how to make Track & Field more watchable discussion.

That was a good podcast, but it was also the first podcast of his I have listened to in months. I wonder how his audience numbers are holding up - anecdotally it seems like he's losing a lot of his long time fans like myself. 
yep, same here.  i wouldn't have even known about it if my friend hadn't texted me about it.

I will listen to every guess the lines podcast and every friday rollin' during NFL season.  but other than that  :shrug:

Maybe Bill, Gladwell, and House should do a podcast where they discuss how to make Bill's podcast more entertaining and fan friendly.

I like Michael Rapaport, he's a crazy MFer and I'm sure this one is good but how can you put together another NBA focused podcast in late August?

I like Michael Rapaport, he's a crazy MFer and I'm sure this one is good but how can you put together another NBA focused podcast in late August?
Agreed. He is 5 weeks too late on it. Maybe if he wasn't spending two hours filming a ridiculous mock trial of something that has been covered 1000 different ways and beat into the ground, it could have been done then. 

Cousin Sal needed ASAP. 

Agreed. He is 5 weeks too late on it. Maybe if he wasn't spending two hours filming a ridiculous mock trial of something that has been covered 1000 different ways and beat into the ground, it could have been done then. 

Cousin Sal needed ASAP. 
It's over.

The BS podcast has really taken a hit since the  HBO show started.  

I'm actually a big BS fan.  Thing is I listen while I'm driving, exercising or whatever.  I don't want to sit down and watch an interview show while at home.  I will watch PTI now and again because it is somewhat timely.  A weekly show is not.  It's a dinosaur.  

Saw a podcast up with Sal :thumbup:  

Then they added in House to be a weird third wheel on the phone that they ignore and he just yells at random times to get his takes in. :thumbdown:  

For those who listened already, did they go through the week 1 lines already or are they just doing futures on this one?

Listening now.  The Pats AFC East/Hillary parlay is the quintessential Bill Simmons bet. Two large favorites and a Boston team to boot, but they're large favorites so you simply parlay and voila, it's magically a great bet!

Also loved the line "you have to assume it's going to keep happening until it doesn't."  I mean... no?

Saw a podcast up with Sal :thumbup:  

Then they added in House to be a weird third wheel on the phone that they ignore and he just yells at random times to get his takes in. :thumbdown:  
I understand meritocracy is difficult to measure or achieve in arts/entertainment, but whatever meritocracy is here, "Podcast host and guest Joe House" is the opposite of that.  Turned it off when I heard his voice with all the speed I used on old BS Reports when the phone would ring and answered, "Complex Litigation, this is John..."

I understand meritocracy is difficult to measure or achieve in arts/entertainment, but whatever meritocracy is here, "Podcast host and guest Joe House" is the opposite of that.  Turned it off when I heard his voice with all the speed I used on old BS Reports when the phone would ring and answered, "Complex Litigation, this is John..."
I love the Jack-O podcasts.  He's funny, honest and smart.  Listening to Joe House is just the Simmons echo chamber.

House is incredibly annoying.

Simmons doesn't realize Lovie Smith is no longer the coach of Tampa. He also says "Zona" and should be shot for it. He also has the most moronic theories ever. Also the reads are ultra-painful.

Sal is priceless.

And I loved every minute of it. ?

Users who are viewing this thread