Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Daywalker

The Bill Simmons Podcast

13 minutes ago, facook said:

:tumbleweed:

I only listen occasionally at this point.  It's mostly a hate-listen.  I love Sal.  Parent Corner makes me so angry that he is SO enabling to his terrible children (surprise, only child of divorce who fell ### backwards into millions of dollars never disciplines his kids).

Most of the podcasts I listen to were on hiatus for the last week or so.  I listened to Guessing the Lines today.  Sal and Bill talked about what matchup Tess and Booger would be calling for the Australian feed of the Super Bowl.  Bill did an awful Australian accent imitating the Australians' response to Tess and Booger.  Sounded like....more constipated Bill, maybe?  But Sal had a great line about the Australians rooting for Iran in the war, and I laughed and laughed.  Worth the two hour podcast of Simmons licking his own balls for that one line.

4 minutes ago, RUSF18 said:

I can’t believe he had the stones to go 40 minutes before bringing up the Pats loss. 

The dynasty isn't over.  I tried telling you "we" were not a  great team this year.  Uh huh.  Ok Billy.

6 minutes ago, RUSF18 said:

I can’t believe he had the stones to go 40 minutes before bringing up the Pats loss. 

:lmao:  no way. 

I haven’t listened to them since about week 3. I love sal but can’t stand bill. Might have to give this one a go. 

1 minute ago, Capella said:

:lmao:  no way. 

I haven’t listened to them since about week 3. I love sal but can’t stand bill. Might have to give this one a go. 

It's worth it.  Actually I posted before Parent Corner of this one.  The ess his kid buys off of Amazon - with apparently zero supervision - is amazing.  Best one I've listened to in a while.  Not for the reasons Bill thinks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, facook said:

It's worth it.  Actually I posted before Parent Corner of this one.  The ess his kid buys off of Amazon - with apparently zero supervision - is amazing.  Best one I've listened to in a while.  Not for the reasons Bill thinks.

Maybe the best ever parent corner today. 

• Like 1

Still like it shrug...

I skip his NBA stuff but liked his Costner interview

2 hours ago, belljr said:

Still like it shrug...

I skip his NBA stuff but liked his Costner interview

I do to.  Just don't take it too serious.  I also think they play up the parent corner some for entertainment purposes. 

I think he does a good interview and enjoy when Rusillo is on as well. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, facook said:

I only listen occasionally at this point.  It's mostly a hate-listen.  I love Sal.  Parent Corner makes me so angry that he is SO enabling to his terrible children (surprise, only child of divorce who fell ### backwards into millions of dollars never disciplines his kids).

Most of the podcasts I listen to were on hiatus for the last week or so.  I listened to Guessing the Lines today.  Sal and Bill talked about what matchup Tess and Booger would be calling for the Australian feed of the Super Bowl.  Bill did an awful Australian accent imitating the Australians' response to Tess and Booger.  Sounded like....more constipated Bill, maybe?  But Sal had a great line about the Australians rooting for Iran in the war, and I laughed and laughed.  Worth the two hour podcast of Simmons licking his own balls for that one line.

I disagree with this sentiment.  He saw where the market was going and had the vision and ability to monetize it.  He definitely worked to get to where he is.  I don't take anything away from his path to get to where he is today. 

• Like 1

If it goes to Spotify or I have to pay I'm officially out

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, belljr said:

If it goes to Spotify or I have to pay I'm officially out

I won't pay either but Spotify is free and I assume that includes the podcasts. 

Spotify sale done. Sounds like the podcasts will remain on all platforms and the website will keep running for the three people reading it. 

1 minute ago, thecatch said:

Spotify sale done. Sounds like the podcasts will remain on all platforms and the website will keep running for the three people reading it. 

"With the Ringer, we’re basically getting the new ESPN," says Spotify CEO Daniel Ek.

🤨

• Laughing 2
  • Thinking 1

All those non-podcast Ringer employees are lucky to be keeping their jobs but I imagine that’s going to be short-lived and Simmons didn’t want to deal with the backlash of cashing in while a bunch of his people got fired. Seems inevitable for it to happen slowly though. 

• Thanks 1

I do like his Cousin Sal podcasts.  I used to like The Rewatchables, but for a guy who got famous using Shawshank, Bloodsport and Karate Kid references, his movie selections for the past few months are horrific. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RUSF18 said:

All those non-podcast Ringer employees are lucky to be keeping their jobs but I imagine that’s going to be short-lived and Simmons didn’t want to deal with the backlash of cashing in while a bunch of his people got fired. Seems inevitable for it to happen slowly though. 

Yea the website has like a year left I’d guess. 

i guess hbo had a 10% stake, so yes.

has this article been posted before?

https://www.niemanlab.org/2019/01/has-bill-simmons-the-ringer-figured-out-the-model-for-podcast-success/

The Ringer’s podcast ad sales topped $15 million in 2018 (and accounted for most of its revenue); its podcast network brings in around 35 million downloads across 28 shows; Simmons says the company is profitable. Headcount is apparently expected to grow up to 100 this year, and company leadership appears to be eschewing outside funding — particularly venture capital — to power further growth. (It should be noted, though, that HBO bought a 10 percent stake in The Ringer at the start of the business.) And for the curious: Midroll Media is responsible for ad sales, and The Ringer is thought to pocket more than two-thirds of podcast revenues once Midroll takes its cut.

wow, the pod save crew makes bank:

According to a Vanity Fair writeup from last summer, Crooked Media’s 10-podcast-strong network is thought to comfortably book eight-figure revenues, which put it around the same territory as The Ringer, albeit off a smaller portfolio. That network is also anchored by a dominant show, the aforementioned Pod Save America, which averages about 1.5 million listeners per episode, according to The New York Times, and brings in about $5 million per year by itself, according to an estimate by The Guardian.

The ringer only gets 11m views a month???? Those people should have been worried about losing their jobs long before this sale. 

Edited by Capella

1 minute ago, Capella said:

The ringer only gets 11m views a month???? Those people should have been worried about losing their jobs long before this sale. 

They bought them for the podcasting content

For whatever reason (short on podcasts...grimly curious) I listened to the  NBA All-Star Cast with Russillo and House.  One hour in and they wonder if MAYBE COMMON FANS DON'T LOVE MODERN NBA PICKUP CHUCK-N-DUCK 3 POINT NBA HOOPS.  Surprise!  It's ugly, it's not good basketball.  You're 1 year behind, D-bag.

7 hours ago, facook said:

For whatever reason (short on podcasts...grimly curious) I listened to the  NBA All-Star Cast with Russillo and House.  One hour in and they wonder if MAYBE COMMON FANS DON'T LOVE MODERN NBA PICKUP CHUCK-N-DUCK 3 POINT NBA HOOPS.  Surprise!  It's ugly, it's not good basketball.  You're 1 year behind, D-bag.

It’s not for me, but it wouldn’t be much of a problem if the regular season wasn’t painfully long and damn near meaningless. No one seems to have much issue with the same style of play in the second round of the playoffs and beyond. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RUSF18 said:

It’s not for me, but it wouldn’t be much of a problem if the regular season wasn’t painfully long and damn near meaningless. No one seems to have much issue with the same style of play in the second round of the playoffs and beyond. 

You're right to an extent, though I think it's less chucking at that point because teams actually care about defense.

Pearl Jam interview was awesome.

19 hours ago, Tick said:

Great guest but man, Simmons’s interviewing was pretty cringe-worthy. 

39 minutes ago, thecatch said:

Great guest but man, Simmons’s interviewing was pretty cringe-worthy. 

yeah, seemed like he winged a bunch of it.  A few of the times it came off as borderline insulting (although I know it wasn't intentional)

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Tick said:

Funny how the world works because I had to cut it off half way through.  I thought it was terrible.  I like them as a band but them but they (esp Vedder) just seems a little too removed from society.  And Simmons can be a really bad interviewer at times.  "Does it feel like you guys are in a marriage?"  Do what now?

Granted it probably was over skype or whatever so that has to make it tough

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pantherclub said:

Funny how the world works because I had to cut it off half way through.  I thought it was terrible.

i didn't make it to the midpoint, but i'm not a Pearl Jam fan.

5 hours ago, Tiger Fan said:

yeah, seemed like he winged a bunch of it.  A few of the times it came off as borderline insulting (although I know it wasn't intentional)

I always like it when he screws up and someone makes fun of him for it, like Vedder did.  That's my favorite stuff in Cousin Sal episodes.

• Like 1

Bought my son NBA 2k20 for his Switch cause it was on sale and it's a game we can play together I'll actually enjoy.  Played for the first time last night, Kevin Harlan is calling the game, son and I are talking trash to each other, but I enjoy Harlan and was having fun listening to some of his calls.  After a while, I realize in between each of Harlan's calls there's this mumbling in the background.  Sometimes it just goes on and on.  My wife is like "Who's the dude talking in the background?"  I said, I don't know but it's like he's mumbling and it's annoying.  So I start listening closer and I hear, "mumblemumblemumble my dad mumblemumblemumble Boston mumblemumble Bird" and I'm like HOLY CRAP THAT'S BILL SIMMONS.  He's terrible.  We immediately turned commentary off.  :lmao: 

2 minutes ago, facook said:

Bought my son NBA 2k20 for his Switch cause it was on sale and it's a game we can play together I'll actually enjoy.  Played for the first time last night, Kevin Harlan is calling the game, son and I are talking trash to each other, but I enjoy Harlan and was having fun listening to some of his calls.  After a while, I realize in between each of Harlan's calls there's this mumbling in the background.  Sometimes it just goes on and on.  My wife is like "Who's the dude talking in the background?"  I said, I don't know but it's like he's mumbling and it's annoying.  So I start listening closer and I hear, "mumblemumblemumble my dad mumblemumblemumble Boston mumblemumble Bird" and I'm like HOLY CRAP THAT'S BILL SIMMONS.  He's terrible.  We immediately turned commentary off.  :lmao: 

Oh yeah

Snoop Dogg is in NHL 20.... 

He's awful

4 minutes ago, belljr said:

Oh yeah

Snoop Dogg is in NHL 20.... 

He's awful

NHL Icon, Snoop.  How does that add anything to these games?

His pod with JB Smoove was really cringe-worthy.  There's a part where JB is talking about being there for the early days of hip hop in New York, and Simmons says, "like Biggie?"  

He's never sounded more like a white guy from Boston than in that one.

• Love 2

1 hour ago, facook said:

NHL Icon, Snoop.  How does that add anything to these games?

Listen he says he like hockey, the Kings etc.

But it's literally the same "interview" every time he shows up.   I'd say once every 10 games ::lmao:

Twitter's running a dunk line (rightly) on Simmons this morning for saying Rodman wasn't interesting.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Good Posting Judge said:

Twitter's running a dunk line (rightly) on Simmons this morning for saying Rodman wasn't interesting.

I kindof have to side with him, there was nothing really new about rodman.   He is just a strange dude that makes everything about himself

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Good Posting Judge said:

So rich.  

Bill Simmons: Dennis Rodman is NOT an interesting person. Never has been, never will be.

Also Bill Simmons: Please read my 12,000 world column about the one time me, J-Bug and Sully played the Addams Family slot machine at Vegas and talked about The White Shadow.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Rodman is interesting because he dyes his hair and makes attention seeking decisions at every possible turn?

7 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

Rodman is interesting because he dyes his hair and makes attention seeking decisions at every possible turn?

Are you Ryen Russillo?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SFBayDuck said:

Are you Ryen Russillo?

lol

i have checked in to a couple Simmons podcasts recently & both were guested by Russillo. that said, i haven't listened to any Last Dance related stuff since i'm saving the episodes on my DVR until i can find time to catch up.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

I kindof have to side with him, there was nothing really new about rodman.   He is just a strange dude that makes everything about himself

I have a friend/colleague who, through his sister, actually knows/knew Rodman. Partied with him in Vegas even. He describes him similarly that he's one of those guys that is super fun for like an hour then just wears on you. He tells this great story about how it was like 4 AM and the nose candy was gone and Rodman was just oblivious to the hint that they just wanted him to leave their hotel room. 

• Laughing 1

You can ignore the crazy lifestyle, the hair/tattoos/piercings, Madonna, Kim Jong Un, and all that personal stuff, but you still have a 6-7 guy who lead the league in rebounds for almost decade while winning 5 rings and multiple defensive MVP awards;  a guy Jordan called the smartest basketball player he knows. His tenacity is one thing, but he also had a rare talent at putting himself in the right position to get rebounds.  I thought it was fascinating hearing him talking about it last night. Even at the NBA level, alot of big guys just turn and box out the paint.  Rodman was a master at getting to where the misses were most likely to fall, like he had an instinctive aptitude in physics.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mr. furley said:

He was working in a ####### airport and ended up an NBA HOF player.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2