What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Bill Simmons Podcast (2 Viewers)

For whatever reason (short on podcasts...grimly curious) I listened to the  NBA All-Star Cast with Russillo and House.  One hour in and they wonder if MAYBE COMMON FANS DON'T LOVE MODERN NBA PICKUP CHUCK-N-DUCK 3 POINT NBA HOOPS.  Surprise!  It's ugly, it's not good basketball.  You're 1 year behind, D-bag.

For whatever reason (short on podcasts...grimly curious) I listened to the  NBA All-Star Cast with Russillo and House.  One hour in and they wonder if MAYBE COMMON FANS DON'T LOVE MODERN NBA PICKUP CHUCK-N-DUCK 3 POINT NBA HOOPS.  Surprise!  It's ugly, it's not good basketball.  You're 1 year behind, D-bag.
It’s not for me, but it wouldn’t be much of a problem if the regular season wasn’t painfully long and damn near meaningless. No one seems to have much issue with the same style of play in the second round of the playoffs and beyond. 

It’s not for me, but it wouldn’t be much of a problem if the regular season wasn’t painfully long and damn near meaningless. No one seems to have much issue with the same style of play in the second round of the playoffs and beyond. 
You're right to an extent, though I think it's less chucking at that point because teams actually care about defense.

Pearl Jam interview was awesome.
Funny how the world works because I had to cut it off half way through.  I thought it was terrible.  I like them as a band but them but they (esp Vedder) just seems a little too removed from society.  And Simmons can be a really bad interviewer at times.  "Does it feel like you guys are in a marriage?"  Do what now?

Granted it probably was over skype or whatever so that has to make it tough

yeah, seemed like he winged a bunch of it.  A few of the times it came off as borderline insulting (although I know it wasn't intentional)
I always like it when he screws up and someone makes fun of him for it, like Vedder did.  That's my favorite stuff in Cousin Sal episodes.

Bought my son NBA 2k20 for his Switch cause it was on sale and it's a game we can play together I'll actually enjoy.  Played for the first time last night, Kevin Harlan is calling the game, son and I are talking trash to each other, but I enjoy Harlan and was having fun listening to some of his calls.  After a while, I realize in between each of Harlan's calls there's this mumbling in the background.  Sometimes it just goes on and on.  My wife is like "Who's the dude talking in the background?"  I said, I don't know but it's like he's mumbling and it's annoying.  So I start listening closer and I hear, "mumblemumblemumble my dad mumblemumblemumble Boston mumblemumble Bird" and I'm like HOLY CRAP THAT'S BILL SIMMONS.  He's terrible.  We immediately turned commentary off.  :lmao:  

Bought my son NBA 2k20 for his Switch cause it was on sale and it's a game we can play together I'll actually enjoy.  Played for the first time last night, Kevin Harlan is calling the game, son and I are talking trash to each other, but I enjoy Harlan and was having fun listening to some of his calls.  After a while, I realize in between each of Harlan's calls there's this mumbling in the background.  Sometimes it just goes on and on.  My wife is like "Who's the dude talking in the background?"  I said, I don't know but it's like he's mumbling and it's annoying.  So I start listening closer and I hear, "mumblemumblemumble my dad mumblemumblemumble Boston mumblemumble Bird" and I'm like HOLY CRAP THAT'S BILL SIMMONS.  He's terrible.  We immediately turned commentary off.  :lmao:  
Oh yeah

Snoop Dogg is in NHL 20.... 

He's awful

His pod with JB Smoove was really cringe-worthy.  There's a part where JB is talking about being there for the early days of hip hop in New York, and Simmons says, "like Biggie?"  

He's never sounded more like a white guy from Boston than in that one.

Twitter's running a dunk line (rightly) on Simmons this morning for saying Rodman wasn't interesting.
So rich.  

Bill Simmons: Dennis Rodman is NOT an interesting person. Never has been, never will be.

Also Bill Simmons: Please read my 12,000 world column about the one time me, J-Bug and Sully played the Addams Family slot machine at Vegas and talked about The White Shadow.

I kindof have to side with him, there was nothing really new about rodman.   He is just a strange dude that makes everything about himself
I have a friend/colleague who, through his sister, actually knows/knew Rodman. Partied with him in Vegas even. He describes him similarly that he's one of those guys that is super fun for like an hour then just wears on you. He tells this great story about how it was like 4 AM and the nose candy was gone and Rodman was just oblivious to the hint that they just wanted him to leave their hotel room. 

You can ignore the crazy lifestyle, the hair/tattoos/piercings, Madonna, Kim Jong Un, and all that personal stuff, but you still have a 6-7 guy who lead the league in rebounds for almost decade while winning 5 rings and multiple defensive MVP awards;  a guy Jordan called the smartest basketball player he knows. His tenacity is one thing, but he also had a rare talent at putting himself in the right position to get rebounds.  I thought it was fascinating hearing him talking about it last night. Even at the NBA level, alot of big guys just turn and box out the paint.  Rodman was a master at getting to where the misses were most likely to fall, like he had an instinctive aptitude in physics.

I have a friend/colleague who, through his sister, actually knows/knew Rodman. Partied with him in Vegas even. He describes him similarly that he's one of those guys that is super fun for like an hour then just wears on you. He tells this great story about how it was like 4 AM and the nose candy was gone and Rodman was just oblivious to the hint that they just wanted him to leave their hotel room. 
I wonder if he is still on that now. Has to be close to 60. 

Last edited by a moderator:
He did the same thing on stage at a Pearl Jam concert in Dallas in '98.

On Sunday in Dallas, the members of Pearl Jam got to experience the kind of emotion typically limited to Michael Jordan and the rest of the Chicago BullsÉ they got teed off at Dennis Rodman.

The tattooed walking time bomb was shirtless, shoeless, and swigging a bottle of wine when he jumped up on stage with the band. According to a critic from the "Dallas Morning News," Rodman held forth for some 45 minutes before the band tired of his antics, which included chanting "Are you having a good time?" during the song "Corduroy." Rodman also chimed in on "Alive," but his mic was finally cut off during his contribution to "Spin The Black Circle."

An exasperated Stone Gossard suggested that Rodman, "Get the f*** off the stage," and Eddie Vedder told the player, "I'm guessing you've been drinking for three days straight."

Rodman's camp would only say that he "had a good time at the show."

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Simmons is pissed that he had nothing to do with the MJ doc and that everyone is watching this when he considers himself to be the king of sports docs. He's been ####ting on it since before it even aired. 

Simmons is pissed that he had nothing to do with the MJ doc and that everyone is watching this when he considers himself to be the king of sports docs. He's been ####ting on it since before it even aired. 
If somebody managed to make a documentary about the 80s Celtics being a bunch of overrated racist jerks and got ESPN to run it Simmons would have a stroke.

Might be, but also kind of weird given that the guy who made the documentary is apparently one of Bill's really good friends.

I've been listening to most of his podcasts while on quarantine and this isn't my take at all. 

WTF was up with the last podcast? I started listening on my way to work yesterday and had to shut it off. Reading from a book?! There are a few things I enjoy about Simmons; that surely is NOT one of them. I thought Klosterman was going to be on? Anybody make it that far?

WTF was up with the last podcast? I started listening on my way to work yesterday and had to shut it off. Reading from a book?! There are a few things I enjoy about Simmons; that surely is NOT one of them. I thought Klosterman was going to be on? Anybody make it that far?
I kindof liked it.  I think it was all of his notes put together about the situation into a longform segment on the podcast.  He has said a bunch of times how he has wrote about the situation in the late 90's.  I think he just cobbled them all together

Klosterman comes on at like the 24 minute mark.

i just started there because it is in the summary and because I am not a masochist

I kindof liked it.  I think it was all of his notes put together about the situation into a longform segment on the podcast.  He has said a bunch of times how he has wrote about the situation in the late 90's.  I think he just cobbled them all together
What situation 

I think I'm out.  Great run, something like a dozen years of listening to 80% of his podcasts.  That's a ridiculous number of hours.

Even with how ridiculous Simmons is these days, I still can find him entertaining enough to listen to on most topics. 

Rusillo is what has me actually out. He's just brutal to listen to and I have no idea how anyone can tolerate him for more than a few minutes at a time. He used to be fine but now he just goes on these ridiculous nonsensical rants with completely unrelated thoughts, either fighting against strawmen he created in his head or random Twitter trolls. 

i like Rusillo  :shrug:  but he does seem particularly angry of late.  isolation is breaking him.

Listened to his podcast with Kornheiser and NBA positivity and some no-name re: The Wire.  I love Kornsheiser.  I am sure Kornheiser swears like a sailor off-mic.

Hearing Bill just say "F***" and "MotherF*****" casually to Kornheiser seems incredibly disrespectful, lame, and not self-aware (SURPRISE!!!!).  This is your elder.  Show some respect.  Bill probably swears in front of his mother.  What a doosh.

I still liked this episode, which is the first one I can say that about in a long time.

"At some point a very stressed man, an editor, appeared. They were doing some project around anniversaries of movies. One of the movies had two release dates—one in select markets, another nationally. There had been debate, and Bill had wanted to use the earlier date. Now, for good reasons, someone had to get across to Bill that they were going to use the later date. The meeting I witnessed, which took a surprisingly long time, was the editor and Dan game-planning how they would break it to Bill so that Bill would be mad at Dan, who evidently had alligator skin, and not the editor, who simply couldn’t stand to incur Bill’s wrath again."

LOLOLOL

What a baby.

Great article, but I disagree with a few of its hinted postulations:

1. "30 for 30" wasn't groundbreaking. (Yes it was. Look at the longform sports documentary landscape prior to 2009, and look at it today. Every documentary is done "30 for 30 style" these days.)

2. Simmons is only successful because he's great a gaining leverage over people. (He was once the Dave Barry Of Sports, and he was a pioneer in "guy talk" podcasting, and he was great at both of those things. Don't let his latter day laziness make you forget what made him a star in the first place.)

3. Simmons is a racist. (We're really going to judge people based on their podcast guests? Come on. 90% of his guests are his buddies from college. In Boston.)

Users who are viewing this thread