What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DI Jukebox Draft (66-15)- Listen up (1 Viewer)

The first time I heard Black Betty was in grade 9 of high school, one of the guys running for school president used it and the intro and first few notes of it sounded amazing and I thought, wow what a cool sounding song, that guy must be super cool and probably voted for him because I was 13. I still like it but it's mega overplayed on classic rock radio.

Northern Voice said:
The first time I heard Leader of the Pack (or maybe not, but first time I remember) was in grade 4, our school had a "lip sync" competition and the winning group performed this song (which worked really well given the lyrics). The guy who led it was named Shannon McNevan and he went on to play professional hockey and is now head of RepublicLive (company behind Boots and Hearts/Wayhome), (have you guys noticed I love parentheses?)

The year after they won with the Leader of the Pack lipsync, I want to say that year was 1994 - myself and a group of friends won the following year with our interpretation of "Gone Country". I played the part of Alan Jackson and my best friend at the time, who I haven't spoken to in 15+years and is now addicted to Oxy played the woman who had gone country, in full drag.

I saw earlier in the thread a few people talked about RockBand in here, I just bought RB4 last week for XB1, if anyone wants to play sometime (once it arrives, for some reason it was $40 cheaper to order a physical copy from Microsoft than anywhere else including Amazon), send me your name.

I saw earlier in the thread a few people talked about RockBand in here, I just bought RB4 last week for XB1, if anyone wants to play sometime (once it arrives, for some reason it was $40 cheaper to order a physical copy from Microsoft than anywhere else including Amazon), send me your name.
I haven't splurged on the XB1 version yet and got rid of my instruments when I sold my 360. I want to get RB4 but most of my friends that played with me regularly have since moved away and it just isn't as much fun by yourself

The first time I heard Leader of the Pack (or maybe not, but first time I remember) was in grade 4, our school had a "lip sync" competition and the winning group performed this song (which worked really well given the lyrics). The guy who led it was named Shannon McNevan and he went on to play professional hockey and is now head of RepublicLive (company behind Boots and Hearts/Wayhome), (have you guys noticed I love parentheses?)
I'm just glad you didn't pick the Twisted Sister remake of the tune.

Page 2 again for a moment, jeez. Fine, let's see.

Round 18

Kate BushRunning Up That Hill (1985)

The Stone RosesShe Bangs The Drums (1989)

Haven't double-checked to see if they'd been taken, but figured I'd go with two picks for the same decade again. I known I've taken "Running Up That Hill" in another draft, but it's such a brilliant synthesis of that particular sound. As for the Stone Roses, I kind of figured they'd be my pick for '89. Only trouble was picking what would work best in a jukebox (without going for the brilliant-but-obnoxiously-long choice, which is definitely one type of jukebox song).

Kate BushRunning Up That Hill (1985)

Haven't double-checked to see if they'd been taken, but figured I'd go with two picks for the same decade again. I known I've taken "Running Up That Hill" in another draft, but it's such a brilliant synthesis of that particular sound. 
I love this song. My favorite version is the live version at The Secret Policeman's Third Ball in 1987, with David Gilmour on guitar on Tony "Best Mullet Ever" Franklin on bass.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I am still at it from the sidelines on my 1 artist project.  Looking at about 10 of the years that are tougher to fill.  I am working on 2 full lists - one with softer songs so it maintains that tone/attitude.  The other with a harder rock edge stuff for those times when aren't ready to relax.  100 songs total.

I am trying to go with 1 artist with the following guidelines:

- use his/her music as much as possible - their compositions will typically take priority over covers but it depends on how much I like the song

- when his/her music isn't available for that year - the following priority will be used to select artists/songs:

1) use artists/songs that were either big influences

2) influenced by this person's music and/or help

3) typically accepted as a part of their style (listed as similar artists at music sites)

Note:  I am not using the date of his/her live performances (which hurts availability of material a lot).  When needed, I am using covers of his/her songs.  Last resort, I am using covers of songs closely related to his/her music or related artists.   

Open to any suggestions you guys might have.  

Anyone have a cool home theatre/speaker setup they would recommend?  I need to upgrade basically everything I have. Right now I have:

Downstairs - hooked up to TV: Extremely old Sony DVD player that came with 5.1 surround - this is one of those DVD and theatres in a box that likely only cost $199 new and that was 10 years ago. Sound isn't very good - My TV also needs replacing, it's about 8 years old but the greys are no good and it's starting to get cloudy around the edges/

Upstairs in my music room/office/dog's room, I have an older Sony receiver and two 4 foot tall Polk Audio speakers (these I inherited from my dad). I use this receiver to listen to my iPod and turntable, but they're in my office and not at all portable or wireless. I believe the receiver was a high end one but is old to the point that there are no HDMI input/outputs. A lot of the times I use this to listen to music upstairs - I just put one of the big speakers in the doorway and blast it out.

I also have a "wireless speaker" that is not bluetooth, it has a little dongle thing that plugs into my iPod and then it transmits wirelessly to the speaker. This is the most portable speaker I have but it still requires to be plugged in - right now I move it all over the house or outside depending where I want to be listening, which is a pain.

Basically, I want better speakers for my television, a more portable way of listening to music in different rooms of the house and also outside. I'm thinking for downstairs I could go the sound bar route, and this would be able to talk to my TV and bluetooth devices (i.e. Spotify on my phone), but I'd also need to ensure it has a Aux input for my Ipod. That still would leave outside and upstairs. Would it make sense to get a receiver somewhere and then speakers all over the house and outside that are all run through a central source?  This is how it was in my parents house, but that was before the days of bluetooth and always having a phone in my pocket.

What about the Amazon Echo, or other bluetooth speakers?  Is it just as simple as having bluetooth speakers in the areas I want them and selectinh which one(s) I want active from my phone?

Anything simpler, or that I'm missing?
To NV's point - anyone have experience with Sonos?  Seem expensive, but is the sound quality worth it?  What is the next step down?  I think I am ready to make the bluetooth sound system move.  

Christ, how do you remove the picture and just leave the link?
Click on the little "chain link"  button, put in the url, then the text for the link. Don't know how you embedded it. Just pasted the link in the post?

Edit: Right.

18b - Blood Orange - "You're Not Good Enough" (2013)

Alt R&B pop goodness here.  Not a well known song but a great dance track from one of my favorite artists.  Tim>this is how us millennials do pop music.

For those unfamiliar with Dev Hynes, he's pretty much the coolest ####### dude in music today.  Writes pop hits for major players in the industry and has a bunch of side projects running the gamut of genres from dance-punk to jazz to alt R&B.  Has his own weird-### fashion style and is pretty much just his own man.  I think he's off Twitter right now, but about a year ago he was actively trying to find scalped tickets to a Juilliard student dance performance...that's just what he does.

This is not my favorite song of his, but my favorite is a 7-minute jazz R&B song that features spoken-word vocals from a woman who sounds like Arsene Wenger.  This fits the theme better.

Between posting this from my mobile, the new board format, and me being inept I'm not gonna attempt to post links for these picks right now. If someone else wants to, fire away.

19A: "Keep On Smilin'" - Wet Willie (1974)

19B: "Rumpofsteelskin" - Parliament (1978)

I am still at it from the sidelines on my 1 artist project.  Looking at about 10 of the years that are tougher to fill.  I am working on 2 full lists - one with softer songs so it maintains that tone/attitude.  The other with a harder rock edge stuff for those times when aren't ready to relax.  100 songs total.

I am trying to go with 1 artist with the following guidelines:

- use his/her music as much as possible - their compositions will typically take priority over covers but it depends on how much I like the song

- when his/her music isn't available for that year - the following priority will be used to select artists/songs:

1) use artists/songs that were either big influences

2) influenced by this person's music and/or help

3) typically accepted as a part of their style (listed as similar artists at music sites)

Note:  I am not using the date of his/her live performances (which hurts availability of material a lot).  When needed, I am using covers of his/her songs.  Last resort, I am using covers of songs closely related to his/her music or related artists.   

Open to any suggestions you guys might have.  
The Bay City Rollers would work splendidly.

May not need any; just wondering when you can take them.  Only at the end of the draft?
richard-mulligan-07.jpg

[SIZE=10pt]Yo Mama picks:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]19.23 - A Passage to Bangkok, Rush (1976)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnXRwmcKnes[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Yeah, whatever.  Screw you guys - this song kicks ###![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]19.23 - Juke Box Hero, Foreigner (1981)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7tzi8wkYgI[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]How do you have a Juke Box without Juke Box Hero![/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]When I used to take the kids to preschool, I would play a lot of my old classic rock cds since the kids were starting to sing along to everything and I didn't have a lot of safe hip-hop / rap.  My daughter started calling this “Juice Box Hero”, which makes sense since they had never seen juke box before.  Needless to say, I still sing along to this song as Juice Box Hero now because of that.[/SIZE]

Time to hit the pure sex alt R&B super hard.  Two pure, unadulterated sexy-as-hell jams from two of my favorite artists.  These two come on at the end of the night once the crowd has started to pair up, and boom.  

19a - fka Twigs - "Two Weeks" (2014)

What a ####### slowjam.  A million bonus points for the extremely blatant Aaliyah homage in that she's dressed as Akasha from Queen of the Damned for the entire video.

19b - Kelela - "Rewind" (2015)

One of my favorite songs of 2015.  I don't vote short EPs into my end-of-year NV poll lists, but this and fka Twigs' 2015 EP would've been right up there.  Song is incredibly sexy on its own, but it's better with the video.  She's a stunner for sure.

Round 19

Built to SpillCarry the Zero (1999)

Actually introduced to this one through the '90s mixtape draft. Think it was in Bonz's mix, maybe? In retrospect, maybe I should've taken "Race for the Prize" while I could. It's the easiest jukebox fit from one of my favorite albums, and 1999 is admittedly a little sparse on jukebox tunes. Had this song and another one (well, "Sexx Laws") lined up as possibilities for 1999, but still felt that "Carry the Zero" wasn't really an ideal jukebox fit. Regardless, I was just listening to it (and singing along) right now, and figured I had to have it. Screw it.

The ProdigyFirestarter (1997)

Could've gone with something a little different, but I loved Music for the Jilted Generation and Fat of the Land back then. Gotta keep it real. First heard "Firestarter" as an instrumental on the Wipeout XL PS1 soundtrack (which is pretty killer), and then wore out my copy of Fat of the Land when I got it. Not everyone's bag, but I still love it, unapologetically.

Draft moved pretty damn fast, all things considered. Fourteen picks to go for me. Mostly ones on which I'm not 100% sure yet.

I owe a bunch of picks, so here we go!

For Round 17, a pair of picks from bands likely no one has ever heard of.

1987 - Guadalcanal Diary - Litany (Life Goes On) - Similar in nature to the jangly-pop of the Athens, Georgia scene that produced R.E.M.

Draft moved pretty damn fast, all things considered. Fourteen picks to go for me. Mostly ones on which I'm not 100% sure yet.
I saved most of my strong years until the end, but with back-to-back-to-back 2013-2014-2015 picks, I'm starting to whittle that down.  Wasn't sure if I was sticking with my theme but just doubled-down on it with my 19th round picks so I'm all-in.  Still have 4 years left where I've got very little idea what I'm going to pick .

Users who are viewing this thread