What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (4 Viewers)

May have been posted already, but nice moment back in 2008 when the Red Sox welcomed Buckner back with open arms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8LGeZhR6c0

What bothers me though is that it took two World Series championships (at the time) to forgive him. If the Red Sox were still waiting for that elusive World Series title, I imagine that day would still not have happened. Not unlike Steve Bartman, which required a WS title to forgive him. 
Dan Shaughnessy and others insist he got a standing ovation on opening day in 1987 and that the whole Red Sox fans hate Buckner thing was a media-driven narrative. And these are guys in the media that bait the fans for sales, so there's something there...

RIP to Buckner, anyway

Dan Shaughnessy and others insist he got a standing ovation on opening day in 1987 and that the whole Red Sox fans hate Buckner thing was a media-driven narrative. And these are guys in the media that bait the fans for sales, so there's something there...
I'm sure there are some that stood and others that booed and cursed Buckner out incessantly. That's the nature of fandom, especially in sports mad cities like Boston, NY, Chicago, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure there are some that stood and others that booed and cursed Buckner out incessantly. That's the nature of fandom.
Yeah, it is. The team and new ownership were always responsive to Buckner, though. It really was a sad thing, a sad historical footnote. It wasn't his fault; the game was already tied, Boston's closer situation was in flux, etc. A weakness got exposed, and the Mets won the World Championship of club baseball. That's just the way it was, and the media needed a goat. Never should have been in the game.

But really, a man has passed and RIP to a apparently a good one. 

The Mets has the better team that year. My Astros came close to beating them but they couldn’t extend the series to get Mike Scott on the mound for a game 7. 

I figure Boston was just so thirsty for a championship at that time that a lot of their media and fans went way overboard in criticizing Buckner. 

The Mets has the better team that year. My Astros came close to beating them but they couldn’t extend the series to get Mike Scott on the mound for a game 7. 
the Muttsies went balls the #### OUT in that extra inning game 6 to win it - it was a foregone conclusion that they had zero answers for Scott's mighty splitter. 

as a lifelong Yankee fan i was as crestfallen and heartbroken as any 'Stros supporter - those ####### MUTTS lucked out big time. 

On Golic and Wingo they were saying how great a player he was, mentioning numerous stats, one of them being that he NEVER struck out more than 2 times in a game. That is very  impressive.
Most impressive stats I heard about Bill Buckner yesterday were that he never struck out three times in a game, and never struck out 40 times in a season (in 20+ seasons).  Pretty amazing.  

I figure Boston was just so thirsty for a championship at that time that a lot of their media and fans went way overboard in criticizing Buckner. 
The 86 Mets won 108 games and were a deep and talented clubs.  The 86 Red Sox only had two reliable SPs and a shaky bullpen.  Many of their everyday players were a bit past their prime. 

Even after the Wilson-Buckner play and with Bruce Hurst starting on three days rest, the Sox took an early lead in Game 7.  Boston's bullpen gave up multiple runs in the 7th and 8th innings to blow the game.

Calvin Schiraldi should have worn the goat horns for that WS instead of Buckner.

The 86 Mets won 108 games and were a deep and talented clubs.  The 86 Red Sox only had two reliable SPs and a shaky bullpen.  Many of their everyday players were a bit past their prime. 

Even after the Wilson-Buckner play and with Bruce Hurst starting on three days rest, the Sox took an early lead in Game 7.  Boston's bullpen gave up multiple runs in the 7th and 8th innings to blow the game.

Calvin Schiraldi should have worn the goat horns for that WS instead of Buckner.
interesting footnote to that '86 debacle ... as soon as there were two strikes on Mitchell in that ill-fated bottom of the tenth, a message flashed on the Shea scoreboard: "Congratulations to the 1986 World Series Champs Boston Red Sox!"

####### Muttsies  :censored:

interesting footnote to that '86 debacle ... as soon as there were two strikes on Mitchell in that ill-fated bottom of the tenth, a message flashed on the Shea scoreboard: "Congratulations to the 1986 World Series Champs Boston Red Sox!"
That was probably put up there by Keith Hernandez, who by many accounts at the time, was smoking a cigarette and having a beer in the dugout after he made the 2nd out of the inning.

That was probably put up there by Keith Hernandez, who by many accounts at the time, was smoking a cigarette, cutting up some lines for him, Doc and Nails, and having a beer in the dugout after he made the 2nd out of the inning.
fixed for (most likely) Historical accuracy  :gang2:

They were 17-1 against the Pirates that year.  Jim Leyland's reaction: "If they're so good how did they lose to us?"

OrtonToOlsen said:
Not sure if the show was in your wheelhouse but Don Geronimo of the old Don and Mike radio show named his son “Bart” after Bart Starr.  IIRC When Geronimo was a kid he was hospitalized with a serious issue.  Starr visited him.  Geronimo said he would name his future son after Starr.
I forgot all about that show.  I used to listen to it every day back in '96-97. 
Loved the Don & Mike show. Did a lot of driving around DC in the late 80s-90s for work, and that was a staple on the radio. I had heard the story about Bart Starr also. Wonder how old his son is now!

Top rated QB in playoffs (105ish), best record (9-1) with MVPs in Superbowls I & II. That is one heck of a stat line.

Tom Brady - 4 MVPs
Joe Montana - 3
Bart Starr, Terry Bradshaw, Eli Manning - 2

"One of these things is not like the others!" ;)

R.I.P. Leon Redbone

He was only 69. Seemed like he was in his '60s thirty years ago.
tru dat. He was on the same circuit as Bonnie, Kweskin Jug Band, Tom Rush, Marty Mull, Leo Kottke had been when i worked it and i purely loved the man. I've embraced visitation from alien beings ever since i met him, cuz he was clearly beamed in from somewheres else. Plus, me Da's favorite crooner was Vaughn Monroe and Leon had the same singing-into-someone-else's-mouth sound. I used to imitate him like crazy - gonna take a few hours tribute and try to get it back here. RIP - 

tru dat. He was on the same circuit as Bonnie, Kweskin Jug Band, Tom Rush, Marty Mull, Leo Kottke had been when i worked it and i purely loved the man. I've embraced visitation from alien beings ever since i met him, cuz he was clearly beamed in from somewheres else. Plus, me Da's favorite crooner was Vaughn Monroe and Leon had the same singing-into-someone-else's-mouth sound. I used to imitate him like crazy - gonna take a few hours tribute and try to get it back here. RIP - 
Freebo is still alive and kicking

Eephus said:
Roky Erickson one of Rock 'n Roll's great weirdos.  I'm glad he lived long enough to straighten himself up and get the acclaim he deserved.
he's one of those artists that sounds a fresh today as he did back in the day. he's such a badass, imo.

Hits me right in the gris-gris. The Medicine Show visited Boston Common for the Sunset Series every year when i was a teenager and i always found it a lot more satistying - visually, musically and identitywise - than Alice Cooper, Kiss or any other costume rock. I met so many of my idols accidentally that i never did anything starstruck but, when fortune found me in the same room as Mac Rebbenack, I fairly raced to take his hand and let him know how deeply i was under his spell. I'm crying here....RIP, Night Tripper

Oh man - the great Dr is gone.  Last time I saw him was at Jazzfest and he played before Tom Petty - which was the last time I saw him. This is getting sad for those that love the great city of New Orleans - so many icons are falling lately and we need some new greatness to step forth. The city always knows how.

A couple of favorites

Goin Back to New Orleans  - one of the songs I play as I make the drive across I-10 into Mississippi knowing I'll be livin it up in a few minutes.

And of course his Epic - Walk on Gilded Splinters

This seems appropriate - https://youtu.be/C5eD_pmDIvI

Users who are viewing this thread