Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Good Posting Judge

______ Passed Away Today, RIP

On July 29, 2019 at 8:26 AM, saintfool said:

i loved the episode where Martin becomes one of the troublemakers with Bart. Martin helps Bart study for some test while Bart teaches him to let loose. Martin was a favorite character of mine in those early seasons.

Martins voice is outstanding.   Easily my favorite voice on the Simpsons.  

12 hours ago, Doug B said:

RIP Nick B -- also should be lauded for his advocacy of and fundraising for paralysis research. Many here know of Nick's son Marc's struggles, but I'm not sure how well known that is outside of sports fandom.

:pours one for Inside the NFL:

After 9/11, he was the person who was able to come in and host Inside the NFL.  He was dignified and comforting.  I was very grateful.

He was a lovely person.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, hagmania said:

Harley Race, legendary NWA champion, passes away at age 76.

RIP to the King.  

Robert and Ethel Kennedy's granddaughter. 22. Just goes to show how deadly depression can be. On the outside she looked to have a perfect life.  RIP 

https://www.masslive.com/news/2019/08/granddaughter-of-robert-f-kennedy-dies-after-overdose-at-family-compound-battled-depression.html

Edited by CurlyNight

On 8/4/2019 at 5:57 PM, Cjw_55106 said:

Veteran NFL writer Don Banks dies at 56

Wow.

So young.

RIP

45 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

RIP Toni Morrison.  Author of Beloved.

Don't know how to commemorate one of the most important literary voices of our time, because i couldnt get into her work and am a staunch opponent of the Oprahpriation of our culture of which i associate her being a part. But a lot of words are thrown around on pages throughout the land and the rarest & most valuable of those are the ones that make a reader feel "Yes........yes........YESSSS!!!! - someone is FINALLY connecting me to this world and this world with me", and i know Professor Morrison served that function for perhaps more people than any American writer of this generation. Brava!! RIP -

• Like 5

2 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

Don't know how to commemorate one of the most important literary voices of our time, because i couldnt get into her work and am a staunch opponent of the Oprahpriation of our culture of which i associate her being a part. But a lot of words are thrown around on pages throughout the land and the rarest & most valuable of those are the ones that make a reader feel "Yes........yes........YESSSS!!!! - someone is FINALLY connecting me to this world and this world with me", and i know Professor Morrison served that function for perhaps more people than any American writer of this generation. Brava!! RIP -

Yeah, I think I wrote an anti-Beloved screed in the books thread a year or two ago.  But I have to appreciate how impactful she, and her writing, was to so many people.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Boston Marathon cheater Rosie Ruiz dead at 66.

Rosie's blessed spirit Ubered to the funeral home the day before she died to get a good seat at the service. RIP -

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

David Berman died a couple days ago.  Never heard of him before today but he popped up in my FB feed.  Such a talent, so sad...

ABC NEWS SPECIAL REPORT: Jeffrey Epstein commits suicide overnight in his jail cell, officials tell

@ABC

News.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D-Day said:

ABC NEWS SPECIAL REPORT: Jeffrey Epstein commits suicide overnight in his jail cell, officials tell

@ABC

News.

Allegedly. 

20 hours ago, Psychopav said:

David Berman died a couple days ago.  Never heard of him before today but he popped up in my FB feed.  Such a talent, so sad...

With all the music aficionados around here, I was surprised he hadn’t merited a mention.  I have a book of his poetry in addition to loving his music.  He was a sad, sad guy, so I’m fearful it was a suicide.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Psychopav said:

Whoa.  He just released an album too. Really enjoyed the songs I heard from it.  Man... 😢 

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, krista4 said:

With all the music aficionados around here, I was surprised he hadn’t merited a mention.  I have a book of his poetry in addition to loving his music.  He was a sad, sad guy, so I’m fearful it was a suicide.

A few of us discussed him in the 2019 album thread. 

So damn sad about this one. He was one of my favorite lyricists writing today and his new album from this year is fantastic. 

RIP

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

So damn sad about this one. He was one of my favorite lyricists writing today and his new album from this year is fantastic. 

RIP

Yeah, that's where you'd find mention of his passing on this board. My friend was lamenting him on social media the other day. I had no idea he'd reached that far into the ether. RIP.

5 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Yeah, that's where you'd find mention of his passing on this board. My friend was lamenting him on social media the other day. I had no idea he'd reached that far into the ether. RIP.

He was a lot great song writers’ favorite song writer. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

He was a lot great song writers’ favorite song writer. 

I'd read some articles about him because of the 2019 thread and the new release. Seemed sort of doomed, all things considered. That's not an attempt to speak ill of the dead; it just didn't sound promising for him. 

• Sad 1

Just now, rockaction said:

I'd read some articles about him because of the 2019 thread and the new release. Seemed sort of doomed, all things considered. That's not an attempt to speak ill of the dead; it just didn't sound promising for him. 

Yeah. His current terrible state of being is pretty directly reflected in multiple songs on the new album. So sad. 

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, The Dreaded Marco said:

RIP

Yeah, I’ve never been in that thread, and I meant, of course, that I was surprised no one had mentioned him in this thread, since it seems like everyone gets mentioned here.  I’m glad to hear that he was discussed!

The book of poetry I have is called “Actual Air,” and I recommend it highly if you’re a fan of his lyrics and haven’t already checked it out.  He might have other compilations, too.  

This is definitely a sad one.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Tonight was supposed to be the kickoff of his tour for the new album in NY

• Sad 1

On 8/9/2019 at 3:46 PM, Psychopav said:

I love this guy.

I'm sad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, [scooter] said:

R.I.P. Peter Fonda.

I wasn't old enough to go see "Easy Rider" when it came out, but he looked to be one of the coolest people I could imagine at that time.  I got to see it at the drive-in when I was 14 with some friends a few years later.  

4 hours ago, [scooter] said:

R.I.P. Peter Fonda.

His filmography pales in comparison to his father and sister but Peter is the only one who can say he helped revolutionize the movies.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Eephus said:

His filmography pales in comparison to his father and sister but Peter is the only one who can say he helped revolutionize the movies.

And irritated the Beatles enough to write a song about his crap.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, krista4 said:

I guess Fonda finally knows what it's like to be dead

ETA:  too soon? :shrug:

Edited by Eephus
  • Like 2
  • Laughing 2

8 minutes ago, Eephus said:

I guess Fonda finally knows what it's like to be dead

ETA:  too soon? :shrug:

Brilliantly played.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, krista4 said:
13 hours ago, Eephus said:

There's a semi-legitimate argument to be made that Peter Fonda is to blame for the breakup of the Beatles. Everything was fine until John wrote a song about him and Paul stormed out of the studio and refused to play on it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Eephus said:

Revolutionized bicycles - after Easy Rider came out nearly ever kid had a banana bike with fork extensions and a sissy bar. We spent all summer working on our bikes to get them all Easy Rider cool.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, ffldrew said:

Revolutionized bicycles - after Easy Rider came out nearly ever kid had a banana bike with fork extensions and a sissy bar. We spent all summer working on our bikes to get them all Easy Rider cool.

I always thought the 5-speed variety hit the sweet spot, with bubblegum cigarettes.

6 hours ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Cedric Benson 36.  Motorcycle accident. 

RIP

Tragic

6 hours ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Cedric Benson 36.  Motorcycle accident. 

RIP

RIP

Hopefully he will lead the way at his next stop...

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

RIP Ralph Whittington.  I hope my death is reported the same way.

Rumor has it that, at his deathbed, a loved one asked Ralph how he was coping. "It's hard" he said. Then he smiled and faded away.....

RIP -

• Laughing 2

3 hours ago, Tom Servo said:

his monologues/musings were a tad too sophisticated for a young fella like myself back in the day ... i do remember him weeping tears of joy and wonder after Secreteriat's gargantuan Belmont score - that made me take notice as a 4 yr old - my dad explained why, and it was one of those transcendent moments that punctuate my earliest memories - dude could wax poetic about a meaningless mid November game between two winless teams, out in a driving rain - could paint a hopeless scenario such as that into having you believe you were watching the Super Bowl ...

Defford tried to pick up the mantle, and did well enough, i suppose ... but Whitaker will always be the Gold standard - a Gentleman.  with Class. 

• Like 7