What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (6 Viewers)

Ben & Jerry's said:
RIP Jack Whitaker, dead at 95

One of the greatest sportscasters of all time.
He was always on my list of the five worst sportscasters all time.  Ugh.
Whitaker was about as old school as anything this side of Heywood Hale Broun.  Whitaker's style was based in newspaper columns but he successfully jumped the tracks to television. 

I'm pretty old and I can't remember him ever doing play-by-play, he was always doing commentary even back in the 1960s.  As he grew older, his opinions got more out of sync with popular culture and I think he kind of leaned into that.  Most people younger than me probably remember him as a rather pompous old guy talking about how things used to be better in the good old days.

Whitaker was about as old school as anything this side of Heywood Hale Broun.  Whitaker's style was based in newspaper columns but he successfully jumped the tracks to television. 

I'm pretty old and I can't remember him ever doing play-by-play, he was always doing commentary even back in the 1960s.  As he grew older, his opinions got more out of sync with popular culture and I think he kind of leaned into that.  Most people younger than me probably remember him as a rather pompous old guy talking about how things used to be better in the good old days.
It always struck me that he was more interested in showing off how "smart" he was than in the sport he was covering.  Sort of a Phil Simms vibe without the charisma.

Will say one good thing about him. He was a prolific investor. (In human suffering).
The Netflix show, "Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj", recently had an episode about public transportation.  They mentioned the Koch brothers and it wasn't in a very positive light.

I always thought they tilted more libertarian than full conservative, but I could be mis-remembering. 

Aren't they behind sponsoring a lot of the shows on PBS? I think I always see the David Koch Fund for Science as a donor on Nova. Maybe that was his dad and they ran it? 
wow. no, that David H Koch you hear at the end of Nova is the recently deceased Koch brother. matter of fact, in looking that up, i read indictments of his connection to WGBH Boston (MIT alum is probably why) and, thereby, Nova being why climate change has seldom been a subject of the program. hmmm

Will say one good thing about him. He was a prolific investor. (In human suffering).
I always thought they tilted more libertarian than full conservative, but I could be mis-remembering. 

Aren't they behind sponsoring a lot of the shows on PBS? I think I always see the David Koch Fund for Science as a donor on Nova. Maybe that was his dad and they ran it? 
Koch was a big donor to Nova, and many people have speculated that his presence had at least a subliminal influence on Nova's "non-alarmist" programs on climate change.

The PBS ombudsman had a good analysis of the situation a few years ago.

It's sad, she was a true car enthusiast.  I remember seeing her on the old Velocity channel (I think it was?) but lots and lots of car programs, she seemed very nice and really into everything automotive.  I feel bad for her friends and family, such a shame at such a young age, I believe 39 was her actual age.

RIP Valerie Harper
I was not a fan, even though she was in one of my favorite shows. When i first came up here to take care of me Ma, her favorite show was Dancing With the Stars so i would watch with her and Ms Harper genuinely seemed to enjoy the extra lease on life during her short course on the show (the kind of story DWTS can really bring home) and i gained a new appreciation for her. RIP -

I'm a big, big fan of Arnold Schwarzenegger as I find he has one of the most remarkable life stories so when he hurts I hurt and today he really hurts as his best friend for 54 years, Dr. Franco Columbu, has passed away. He had some kinds words to say about him in a reddit post.

I'm a big, big fan of Arnold Schwarzenegger as I find he has one of the most remarkable life stories so when he hurts I hurt and today he really hurts as his best friend for 54 years, Dr. Franco Columbu, has passed away. He had some kinds words to say about him in a reddit post.
Those old world strongest man competitions...I recall the one where Franco tore up his knee (like stuff was sticking out of the skin) while basically trying to jog with a refrigerator strapped to his back.)  And he just calmly was talking after it happened saying he didn't think it was broken, just dislocated and he knew it because he was a chiropractor.

Those old world strongest man competitions...I recall the one where Franco tore up his knee (like stuff was sticking out of the skin) while basically trying to jog with a refrigerator strapped to his back.)  And he just calmly was talking after it happened saying he didn't think it was broken, just dislocated and he knew it because he was a chiropractor.
It's on YouTube but I'm not even gonna link to it...

I remember that well.

:queasy:

Oh nooooooo!  What happened?

Time for me again to pimp the documentary “The Devil and Daniel Johnston” to anyone who hasn’t seen it.
Dunno. Saw something in the last year that he wasn't doing well. Bipolar...wonder if that came into play somehow. Only 58. :(

eta... And yeah...that's a great doc

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh nooooooo!  What happened?

Time for me again to pimp the documentary “The Devil and Daniel Johnston” to anyone who hasn’t seen it.
Fyi...

Daniel Johnston, the influential singer-songwriter and visual artist who painted Austin’s famous “Hi How Are You” frog mural on the Drag, died at home last night following a presumed heart attack at age 58. The news was confirmed by his former manager Jeff Tartakov.

Johnston’s physical health worsened significantly in recent years. Last year, his sister Margy Johnston told the Chronicle that Daniel had recently endured a rough go that included falling, hospitalization, and frequent adjustments to his medication. In January, while famous fans like the Flaming Lips and Yo La Tengo were covering his songs at ACL Live at the Moody Theater for the second annual Hi, How Are You Day, Daniel landed in the hospital again

RIP - was sick for some time.

And in before the first Shakin’ joke.
Last night, for the first time, I watched his Real Money reality show, and in last night’s episode he gets diagnosed.

i wonder if they will air the rest of the season

Users who are viewing this thread