What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (3 Viewers)

Wow.  RIP Neil.  One of the best rock drummers of all time, and and a very intelligent and nice guy.

Going to have to pay my respects.......Rush will be played all weekend.

I encourage people to go on YouTube and listen to "YYZ" or "La Villa Strangiato" with Neil isolated.  You will be amazed by how good Neil was.

All celebrity deaths are sad, but losing Neil hurts more than most. :(

I honestly didn’t realize he was so ill - guess that was part of his nature to be so private. Which made his autobiography a few years back such a revelation.

Also horribly ironic that one of the brightest minds in pop/rock history succumbs to brain cancer.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was no bigger band to me than Rush when I was a kid. Besides being the greatest drummer ever, his lyrics inspired me and got me through some tough times.

RIP Neil Peart...thank you for the music. 

RIP Neil. For those that don’t know, he also wrote their lyrics. A true musician and great guy, by all accounts. 
He is probably one of my two favorite lyricists; tough call between him and Roger Waters.  So many great lyrics over the years.  A legend in every way imaginable.  Still can't believe it. :no:  

RIP Neil, the whole retirement thing makes so much more sense now since it was announced about 3 years ago.  Easily my favorite band and Neil my favorite percussionist and lyricist of all time.  I honestly thought they would take a hiatus but be back at it eventually.

RIP Neil, the whole retirement thing makes so much more sense now since it was announced about 3 years ago.  Easily my favorite band and Neil my favorite percussionist and lyricist of all time.  I honestly thought they would take a hiatus but be back at it eventually.
I think Neil retired because of the shoulder and chronic tendinitis problems he was having. Remember that it was 2015 when Rush did their final tour, and even that was a short tour (by their standards), as that is all Neil would agree to do.  And it sounds like he was battling the cancer since 2016.  Even if he had never gotten cancer, I think 2015 was the end for Neil, and Rush as well, no matter what.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Neil retired because of the shoulder and chronic tendinitis problems he was having. Remember that it was 2015 when Rush did their final tour, and even that was a short tour (by their standards), as that is all Neil would agree to do.  And it sounds like he was battling the cancer since 2016.  Even if he had never gotten cancer, I think 2015 was the end for Neil, and Rush as well, no matter what.  
You may be right but unfortunately we will never really know now.

You may be right but unfortunately we will never really know now.
If I can be honest, they went out at the right time.  The health issues that Alex and Neil were dealing with would have taken a toll on their playing, meaning their live performances wouldn't have been consistent on a night to night basis, and Geddy's voice was done 10 years ago.  As much as I like Clockwork Angels (some of their best songwriting ever), I wish it had been written and recorded back when his voice was still in tip-top shape (and that the album hadn't been brickwalled to death).  

Buck Henry, 89
I remember watching him as a host on SNL and not really realizing who he was. I loved him as Todd's (Bill Murray's) Dad in The Nerds sketches. I think he romanced Lisa's (Gilda Radner's) Mom (Jane Curtin?) in one memorable show. He was also a great straight man to Belushi's Samurai character. Samurai tailor was a personal fave. I remember recognizing him in "Heaven Can Wait" with Warren Beatty.

In the pre-internet days I had to really dig to find out who this "Buck Henry" was.

If I can be honest, they went out at the right time.  The health issues that Alex and Neil were dealing with would have taken a toll on their playing, meaning their live performances wouldn't have been consistent on a night to night basis, and Geddy's voice was done 10 years ago.  As much as I like Clockwork Angels (some of their best songwriting ever), I wish it had been written and recorded back when his voice was still in tip-top shape (and that the album hadn't been brickwalled to death).  
What does that mean?

What does that mean?
That's when you take an audio recording and artificially increase the volume level so that every aspect of it (including the quiet parts) play at the maximum level. It makes a recording sound loud and distorted, and it cuts off certain frequencies. There was a time (in the late '90s/early 2000s) when many people in the music industry -- even well-respected sound engineers -- thought it was a great idea. But there has been a lot of backlash since then and the industry finally realized that "loud" doesn't necessarily mean "good".

That's when you take an audio recording and artificially increase the volume level so that every aspect of it (including the quiet parts) play at the maximum level. It makes a recording sound loud and distorted, and it cuts off certain frequencies. There was a time (in the late '90s/early 2000s) when many people in the music industry -- even well-respected sound engineers -- thought it was a great idea. But there has been a lot of backlash since then and the industry finally realized that "loud" doesn't necessarily mean "good".
That is a good summation, but many in the industry have not figured it out, as far too many records are still being released that are brickwalled too much.  Clockwork Angels is from 2012 and was really bad in that regard.  The issue with albums that are brickwalled is you get ear fatigue when listening to a few songs, and while great sounding recordings with good dynamic range sound great when you crank it up, brickwalled stuff gets worse at louder volumes.  It gets to where even songs and albums I really like (in spite of the sound) don't get much time in my CD player because it's more frustrating than enjoyable to listen. 

Oh yeah, when you look at Rush's first 15 albums, they all sounded (at worst) really good, even the ones like Hold Your Fire and Presto that were products of their time, but then Test for Echo sounded a bit muddy, and then all three albums they released in the 21st century had sound issues (Vapor Trails was loud and noisy, Snakes & Arrows sounded too dry and lacked any real personality, Clockwork Angels sounded brickwalled to the max).  Albums like 2112, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows and Counterparts all sound incredible, especially when you crank them up. 

Oh yeah, when you look at Rush's first 15 albums, they all sounded (at worst) really good, even the ones like Hold Your Fire and Presto that were products of their time, but then Test for Echo sounded a bit muddy, and then all three albums they released in the 21st century had sound issues (Vapor Trails was loud and noisy, Snakes & Arrows sounded too dry and lacked any real personality, Clockwork Angels sounded brickwalled to the max).  Albums like 2112, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows and Counterparts all sound incredible, especially when you crank them up. 
Terry Brown has to be credited for at least some of the better produced albums.

Brown produced every album by the band from Fly by Night (1975) up to Signals (1982).

All around SE PA, the electronic billboards along the highway are cycling through their ads.  And one of them is a picture of the Rush drummer and it says something like "Hail to the King" or what not.  

Not sure if this is something nationwide or just in SE PA.  Either way, I'm confused.  Wasn't the guy Canadian?  

All around SE PA, the electronic billboards along the highway are cycling through their ads.  And one of them is a picture of the Rush drummer and it says something like "Hail to the King" or what not.  

Not sure if this is something nationwide or just in SE PA.  Either way, I'm confused.  Wasn't the guy Canadian?  
Right.  Which means he could be king...I think.

Why does it matter that he was Canadian? 

Would you quibble about Paul McCartney being from England if he died and was given similar treatment? 

Why does it matter that he was Canadian? 

Would you quibble about Paul McCartney being from England if he died and was given similar treatment? 
I think you're missing what I'm saying.  I'm just wondering why a billboard along the side of a road in SE PA is honoring him.  Like did someone pay for that?  I've seen a lot of famous people die over the years and none have popped up on the local billboards around here.  That's all I'm saying. 

I think you're missing what I'm saying.  I'm just wondering why a billboard along the side of a road in SE PA is honoring him.  Like did someone pay for that?  I've seen a lot of famous people die over the years and none have popped up on the local billboards around here.  That's all I'm saying. 
Yes, someone paid for the billboard.

Users who are viewing this thread