Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Good Posting Judge

______ Passed Away Today, RIP

3 minutes ago, dickey moe said:

No love for Bob Gibson?

oh, wow. didn't hear. my pitcher in the FFA sportsdraft. one game, baby - still. RIP -

7 hours ago, dickey moe said:

No love for Bob Gibson?

Bobby posted it, but didn't mention gibson's name. 

All timer, big loss. Rip.

12 minutes ago, Willie Neslon said:

Eddie Van Halen rest in peace. 😥

Damn - didn't know he was that sick. :cry:

DAMMIT.

I knew he had cancer, I knew it was bad, but........I guess I was in denial.

This really hurts. He was one of my guitar heroes.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, zamboni said:
34 minutes ago, Willie Neslon said:

Eddie Van Halen rest in peace. 😥

Damn - didn't know he was that sick. :cry:

There were some pictures of him from last year where his face was bloated, and there were references to doctor's visits and experimental treatments. It was apparently a resurgence of the cancer in his tongue/throat that he'd had 20 years ago.

18 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

DAMMIT.

David Lee Roth gave a newspaper interview this past January and told the reporter that Eddie was "not doing well" at the time. EVH probably did as well as he could to hang on nine more months.

2 minutes ago, Doug B said:
25 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

DAMMIT.

David Lee Roth gave a newspaper interview this past January and told the reporter that Eddie was "not doing well" at the time. EVH probably did as well as he could to hang on nine more months.

Dave also said something to the effect of "Van Halen is finished" and implied that he alone would be continuing the band's legacy.

2 hours ago, [scooter] said:

Dave also said something to the effect of "Van Halen is finished" and implied that he alone would be continuing the band's legacy.

What a diamond of a guy.

Johnny Nash today too 😢😢 man, I can see clearly now 😢😢😢

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, CGRdrJoe said:

Dammit. :(

13 hours ago, CGRdrJoe said:

How sad is it that my 50 y.o. wife had no knowledge of this song whatsoever?  How do you go 50 years (ok, technically 48 years) without this song in your life?  No wonder she's such a pessimist...  ;) 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, JamesonSkittles said:

Whitey Ford dead at 91

Growing up in Boston at a time when my team was always last and the New York team was always first, when i thought of Yankee brilliance i thought of Mantle/Maris. When i thought of Yankee inevitability, however, it was Whitey Ford. RIP -

3 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

Growing up in Boston at a time when my team was always last and the New York team was always first, when i thought of Yankee brilliance i thought of Mantle/Maris. When i thought of Yankee inevitability, however, it was Whitey Ford. RIP -

He played 16 seasons with the Yankees and was in the WS 14 times. Wow

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, boilerdave said:

He played 16 seasons with the Yankees and was in the WS 14 times. Wow

with only one way to play in

26 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

Hall of Famer Joe Morgan 

Good lord - make it stop. :(

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

Hall of Famer Joe Morgan 

Every Little Leaguer of a certain age tried to flap his back arm while hitting to try and imitate him. :sadbanana:

Edited by Tom Servo
  • Like 3
  • Love 3

51 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

Hall of Famer Joe Morgan 

this will sound a shallow tribute but it comes from a genuine place.

as i've recounted before, me and fellow 8th graders Jimmy Mezger and Larry Latelli "drafted" fantasy baseball teams for the 1968 season in the school cafeteria, using the SI season preview issue (featuring the world champion St Louis Cardinals' team picture with the caption "Million Dollar Team" on the cover) and tracking their stats in the Sunday Globe and Sporting News. so i got some fantasy cred

it's weird, but i was mad at the pre-Bill James sports world when Joe Morgan came along for not understanding his excellence in the way only a stathead could. The novelty and relative value of such on-base %, power & speed all coming from a middle infielder who was not only a great defender but a leader on the field made my sabermetric head explode. When i could finally express my admiration in a material way by looking for the Joe Morgan in every player i considered drafting to fantasy teams, i made a ####-ton of dough doing so. Thank you, Joe, you magnificent baseball bastard! RIP -

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Wikkid makes me feel young again. In my only lifetime league I go "way" back to the early 90's.  Which still puts me a quarter century behind Mr. Rotisserie here.

• Laughing 1

3 hours ago, McBokonon said:

Hall of Famer Joe Morgan 

dammit, dammit.

so many guys from my childhood dying off ...Joe was so good and such an important part of the Big Red Machine.  

1 minute ago, The Man With No Name said:

Loved watching Morgan play. One stat that stands out to me :

Strikeouts - 1015

Walks -  1865  

I grew up watching the more modern version of Murderers Row. IMO Joe was the All-Star among All-Stars.

Marty and Joe on WCMH out of Columbus Ohio in the 1970's, I consider myself so blessed/fortunate to have grown up in Ohio in a dinky little town that was 100 miles east of Columbus, 100 miles west of Pittsburgh and 100 miles south of Cleveland.  So I pretty much grew up spoiled for sports watching the great Woody Hayes and The Ohio State Buckeyes football teams, The Big Red Machine on TV, The Cardiac Kids Cleveland Browns teams as well as the Cleveland Indians on WUAB TV Channel 43 out of Cleveland (along with WJW, WEWS and of course WMMS the buzzard on 100.7 FM.)

All my childhood heros are dying off one by one.  I really, really, really hate 2020, it's been like eating one gigantic sh!t sandwich, bite by miserable bite, day by day the whole damned year!

RIP Joe - and yes by God I most certainly did the arm flap in little league baseball!

Edited by Sullie
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:

Roberta McCain.

John McCain's mother.

Dead at 108 years young.

Wow. Know nothing about her other than that she raised a hell of an egg. Rip.

5 hours ago, McBokonon said:

Hall of Famer Joe Morgan 

I was/am a giants fan, but couldn't help but love watching him play. Besides the stats, always seemed to just love playing- treated the game with joy, that definitely drew an opposing fan in. Also seemed to be a gentleman out there...nothing but respect for the man. Rip

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Man With No Name said:

Margaret Nolan,  Dink, the girl who was painted gold in Goldfinger

She was painted gold for the ads but it was a different actress/character that was killed by being painted gold.

Edited by AAABatteries

1 hour ago, AAABatteries said:
4 hours ago, The Man With No Name said:

Margaret Nolan,  Dink, the girl who was painted gold in Goldfinger

She was painted gold for the ads but it was a different actress/character that was killed by being painted gold.

That was actually an urban legend, she didn't die.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/goldfinger-actress-death/

Conchata Ferrell, who played the wisecracking housekeeper on "Two And A Half Men." She was 77.

If there was ever a female version of "that guy," it was her.

Edited by Joe Summer
  • Sad 6

9 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:

Conchata Ferrell, who played the wisecracking housekeeper on "Two And A Half Men." She was 77.

She was pretty awesome. RIP.

20 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:

Also a memorable role as the owner of the pizza place in Mystic Pizza.

4 minutes ago, zamboni said:

Also a memorable role as the owner of the pizza place in Mystic Pizza.

You don't monkey with tradition

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:

I remember her as far back as Network (reading script pitches to Faye Dunaway) and a sitcom called ER (w Elliot Gould, Mary McDonnell, Jason Alexander, George Clooney as the Fonzie clone that was in every show then and my all-time unknown crush Corinne Bohrer) a few years before the drama ER. Sheen-era Two & a Half Men has been my guilty pleasure and go-to commercial-killer for a long time. Thank you, Miss Ferrell. RIP -

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:

LA LAW and True Romance for me

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

I remember her as far back as Network (reading script pitches to Faye Dunaway) and a sitcom called ER (w Elliot Gould, Mary McDonnell, Jason Alexander, George Clooney as the Fonzie clone that was in every show then and my all-time unknown crush Corinne Bohrer) a few years before the drama ER. Sheen-era Two & a Half Men has been my guilty pleasure and go-to commercial-killer for a long time. Thank you, Miss Ferrell. RIP -

Loved that show.  And Corinne Bohrer, especially the ice machine scene in Dead Solid Perfect with Randy Quaid.  Teenage me may have worn out my VHS with that one.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, SFBayDuck said:

Loved that show.  And Corinne Bohrer, especially the ice machine scene in Dead Solid Perfect with Randy Quaid.  Teenage me may have worn out my VHS with that one.

that and Friends/Breaking Bad bit-playerJessica Hecht dancing in a flick called AnarchyTV are my two favorite celeb clips of all time. i just watch em for the articles, of course....

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Fishboy said:

RIP Berta. You were the star of the show. 

Berta was very funny...”Okay, I haven't sampled anything from the other side of the buffet since I traveled with the Grateful Dead, but golly Moses, she's a muffin.”

7 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

If true, this is quite a compliment:

Legend has it that a cinematographer, as an exercise, once tried to shoot her in a way that would make her look bad. No matter the angle or technique, he concluded, Fleming always came out picture-perfect.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

My dad's gonna hate hearing this. Too close to his age and big redheads are his passion (me recently-deceased Ma was called "Rusty") and Miss Fleming was one of the biggest. RIP -

8 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

Before there was an Alex Trebek there was an Art Fleming. For some reason I assumed he was Rhonda's husband. Always wondered how such a dork scored such a bombshell.

• Laughing 1

3 hours ago, Leroy Hoard said:

Before there was an Alex Trebek there was an Art Fleming. For some reason I assumed he was Rhonda's husband. Always wondered how such a dork scored such a bombshell.

Well, she was married six times.  Odds are one of them was a dork.

• Laughing 2
  • Sad 1