What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

______ Passed Away Today, RIP (8 Viewers)

Packer great Paul Hornung (already lost Willie Wood, Willie Davis and Herb Adderley this year)
dang - i admired the hell outta this guy. love to see party hounds live to ripe old ages, too (tho, i hear he was addled the last few years). growin up, all my sports heroes were black guys so, as a proper son of racist Boston, i looked around for a token honky to admire. Koufax quit almost as soon as i picked him, so i went to Hornung and, dang if he didnt retire early, too, so i just gave up the endeavour and rooted Yaz in w me Ma.

the halfback's halfback. he and McIlhenny, who i never saw. watching the near perfect tandem w him & Taylor in GB, i still wonder why double-tailback formations arent used today. hella color man, too, backinday. Madden before Madden. RIP -

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair, he knew his lines would be re-recorded and he was just giving something for the other actor to respond to.  But yes James Earl Jones voice is essential to Vader.
Not at that point he didn't. The story always was that he thought his would be the voice.

Lots of validation links here

To be fair, he knew his lines would be re-recorded and he was just giving something for the other actor to respond to.  But yes James Earl Jones voice is essential to Vader.
Not at that point he didn't. The story always was that he thought his would be the voice.

Lots of validation links here
I almost changed my post after I saw it to add one thing, but decided it didn't matter (clearly it did :)  ).  I'll check your links, but what I was trying to say was he knew they would be re-recording it (with him assuming it would be his voice).  I think once he found out that it wouldn't be his voice he just ad libbed lines and that's why the one that was linked previously wasn't what we heard in the final product.

ETA:  Checked your link and he claimed as late as 2015 that he was supposed to do it but they didn't want to pay for him to re-dub.  I think he was trying to save face, it seemed like others knew what the plan was.

RIP David Lander, aka Squiggy from "Laverne & Shirley".

Hellooooooo.
Per Wiki...He worked as a baseball talent scout from 1997, first for the Anaheim Angels, and later for the Seattle Mariners.  I had no idea.
He's also indirectly and partly responsible for the formation of Spın̈al Tap. In 1979, Lander, Michael McKean and Christopher Guest assembled a band called Lenny & The Squigtones, which performed '50s parody songs and even released an album and appeared on "American Bandstand" in character (scroll to 3:30 for the debut of Nigel Tufnel). A few months after that, McKean and Guest (along with Harry Shearer) appeared as a prototypical incarnation of Spın̈al Tap on a TV special that was hosted by Rob Reiner, which led to the four of them collaborating on the "Spın̈al Tap" script, and the rest is history.

Sea Duck said:
He's also indirectly and partly responsible for the formation of Spın̈al Tap. In 1979, Lander, Michael McKean and Christopher Guest assembled a band called Lenny & The Squigtones, which performed '50s parody songs and even released an album and appeared on "American Bandstand" in character (scroll to 3:30 for the debut of Nigel Tufnel). A few months after that, McKean and Guest (along with Harry Shearer) appeared as a prototypical incarnation of Spın̈al Tap on a TV special that was hosted by Rob Reiner, which led to the four of them collaborating on the "Spın̈al Tap" script, and the rest is history.
Nice- thanks! I knew ZERO about any of that, and the movie is one of my favorites.

Rip, squig

**** Allen, 1972 AL MVP 

or

Richie Allen, 1964 NL RotY

The stats don’t do him justice. One of the most gifted and intimidating hitters of his age. Maybe only Willie McCovey was more feared in a late inning situation.

*in his mind, wikkid writes "RIP" in some 3rd base dirt with his toe in tribute to a one-of-a-kind*
IDK if he just didn’t get along with writers or bc he never played in the postseason but Allen had a ton of respect from his peers despite very little recognition around the country.

Sea Duck said:
And Murphy Dunne (Blues Brothers) on keyboard!

**** Allen, 1972 AL MVP 

or

The stats don’t do him justice. One of the most gifted and intimidating hitters of his age. Maybe only Willie McCovey was more feared in a late inning situation.
Loved Allen on the White Sox.  He used to wear a batting helmet in the field because Dane threw things at him. Because he was black.  That’s the 60’s for you.

Allen was an All-Star in seven seasons. He won the 1964 National League (NL) Rookie of the Year Award and the 1972 American League (AL) Most Valuable Player Award. He also led the AL in home runs for two seasons; led the NL in slugging percentage one season and the AL in two seasons, respectively; and led each major league in on-base percentage, one season apiece. His .534 career slugging percentage ranks among the highest in what was an era marked by low offensive production.

Sea Duck said:
It's a shame that Nigel got rid of his perm.

Add former Texas coach Fred Akers and former Red Sox pitcher Rogelio Moret to the list for today.  Moret was a member of the '75 Red Sox and that memorable World Series against the Reds.

One of the all-time great quotable guys, too. On AstroTurf: "if a horse won't eat it, I don't want to play on it."

RIP
Yeah, he was a pretty thoughtful guy who came up with some zingers. This probably reads as pedestrian stuff today but man an athlete who was outspoken and witty in the 60s/early 70s was something of a rarity.

"Baserunning is an art and a skill. If I'm on second, one ball on the batter, I'm going to try and get a big lead to distract the pitcher. My job is to help get ball two. Now the pitcher's got to throw a strike. Batter knows that. I know that. He's in a position to get good wood on the ball. He gets a single, I score. That's good baserunning."

"I'll play first, third, left. I'll play anywhere — except Philadelphia."

"I never worry about it (knuckleball pitch). I just take my three swings and go sit on the bench. I'm afraid if I even think about hitting it, I'll mess up my swing for life."

"I once loved this game. But after being traded four times, I realized that it's nothing but a business. I treat my horses better than the owners treat us. It's a shame they've destroyed my love for the game."

"I wish they'd shut the gates, and let us play ball with no press and no fans."

"St. Louis is baseball all american style. Not like Philly, not like New York, not like anywhere else. In St. Louis the fans care about the game. Here they talk strategy, the hit-and-run, the squeeze play, the defensive alignment; the fans didn't care about off-field controversies."

"You gotta be careful with your body. Your body is like a bar of soap. The more you use it, the more it wears down."

Chuck Yeager  :(
This tweet sums it up pretty well:

Given that he was born during the depression in West Virginia, was a private in World War II and (checks notes) regularly strapped himself into untested high speed aircraft, the chances Chuck Yeager would make it to 93 have to be astronomical

This tweet sums it up pretty well:

Given that he was born during the depression in West Virginia, was a private in World War II and (checks notes) regularly strapped himself into untested high speed aircraft, the chances Chuck Yeager would make it to 93 have to be astronomical
The Right Stuff captured his persona perfectly.

**** Allen, 1972 AL MVP 

or

One of my earliest memories... Through perfect attendance in grade school, we earned nose bleed seats at Comiskey Park to see the White Sox battle whatever AL scrubs that weren't going to sell out.  Any way,  as a lily white suburban 2nd grader, I will forever remember the big guy behind me yelling "Get Richie Allen!!  Get that MF!!" all game. 

Which Yeager are we talking about?
Yeagermeister?

Look Bro, it’s a joke. Maybe one that’s only funny in my own head. ;)

It doesn’t matter if Neil Armstrong is the most famous aviator/astronaut of all time. My money is always on Chuck Yeager. When you needed the best test pilot you could find, you called Yeager.

”####. Another dead pilot. Now who’s gonna want to fly our death trap?”

”Get Yeager.”

Yeager started from humble beginnings in Myra, W.Va., and many people didn't really learn about him until decades after he broke the sound barrier — all because of a book and popular 1983 movie called The Right Stuff.

He accomplished the feat in a Bell X-1, a wild, high-flying rocket-propelled orange airplane that he nicknamed "Glamorous Glennis," after his first wife who died in 1990. It was a dangerous quest — one that had killed other pilots in other planes. And the X-1 buffeted like a bucking horse as it approached the speed of sound — Mach 1 — about 700 miles per hour at altitude.

But Yeager was more than a pilot: In several test flights before breaking the sound barrier, he studied his machine, analyzing the way it handled as it went faster and faster. He even lobbied to change one of the plane's control surfaces so that it could safely exceed Mach 1.

You don't do it ... to get your damn picture on the front page of the newspaper. You do it because it's duty. It's your job.

As popularized in The Right Stuff, Yeager broke the sound barrier on Oct. 14, 1947, at Edwards Air Force Base in California. But there were no news broadcasts that day, no newspaper headlines. The aviation feat was kept secret for months. In 2011, Yeager told NPR that the lack of publicity never much mattered to him. "I was at the right place at the right time. And duty enters into it. It's not, you know, you don't do it for the — to get your damn picture on the front page of the newspaper. You do it because it's duty. It's your job."

Yeager never sought the spotlight and was always a bit gruff. After his famous flight in the X-1, he continued testing newer, faster and more dangerous aircraft. The X-1A came along six years later, and it flew at twice the speed of sound. On Dec. 12, 1953, Chuck Yeager set two more altitude and speed records in the X-1A: 74,700 feet and Mach 2.44.

It's what happened moments later that cemented his legacy as a top test pilot. The X-1A began spinning viciously and spiraling to Earth, dropping 50,000 feet in about a minute. His flight helmet even cracked the canopy, and a scratchy archive recording from the day preserves Yeager's voice as he wrestles back control of the aircraft: "Oh! Huh! I'm down to 25,000," he says calmly — if a little breathlessly. "Over Tehachapi. I don't know if I can get back to base or not."

Yeager strikes a pose with Sam Shepard, who played him in the movie version of The Right Stuff.

Yeager would get back to base. And in this 1985 NPR interview, he said it was really no big deal: "Well, sure, because I'd spun airplanes all my life and that's exactly what I did. I recovered the X-1A from inverted spin into a normal spin, popped it out of that and came on back and landed. That's what you're taught to do."

It's more than that, though. Yeager was a rare aviator, someone who understood planes in ways that other pilots just don't. He ended up flying more than 360 types of aircraft and retired from the Air Force as a brigadier general.

Bob van der Linden of the National Air and Space Museum in Washington says Yeager stood out. "He could give extremely detailed reports that the engineers found extremely useful. It's not just flying the airplane, it's interpreting how the airplane is flying and understanding that. And he understood that, just because he understood machines so well. And was just such a superb pilot."

Yeager grew up in the mountains of West Virginia, an average student who never attended college. After high school, he enlisted in the Army Air Corps where he didn't have the education credentials for flight training. But once the U.S. entered World War II a few months later, he got his chance.

Yeagermeister?

Look Bro, it’s a joke. Maybe one that’s only funny in my own head. ;)

It doesn’t matter if Neil Armstrong is the most famous aviator/astronaut of all time. My money is always on Chuck Yeager. When you needed the best test pilot you could find, you called Yeager.

”####. Another dead pilot. Now who’s gonna want to fly our death trap?”

”Get Yeager.”

Yeager started from humble beginnings in Myra, W.Va., and many people didn't really learn about him until decades after he broke the sound barrier — all because of a book and popular 1983 movie called The Right Stuff.

He accomplished the feat in a Bell X-1, a wild, high-flying rocket-propelled orange airplane that he nicknamed "Glamorous Glennis," after his first wife who died in 1990. It was a dangerous quest — one that had killed other pilots in other planes. And the X-1 buffeted like a bucking horse as it approached the speed of sound — Mach 1 — about 700 miles per hour at altitude.

But Yeager was more than a pilot: In several test flights before breaking the sound barrier, he studied his machine, analyzing the way it handled as it went faster and faster. He even lobbied to change one of the plane's control surfaces so that it could safely exceed Mach 1.

You don't do it ... to get your damn picture on the front page of the newspaper. You do it because it's duty. It's your job.

As popularized in The Right Stuff, Yeager broke the sound barrier on Oct. 14, 1947, at Edwards Air Force Base in California. But there were no news broadcasts that day, no newspaper headlines. The aviation feat was kept secret for months. In 2011, Yeager told NPR that the lack of publicity never much mattered to him. "I was at the right place at the right time. And duty enters into it. It's not, you know, you don't do it for the — to get your damn picture on the front page of the newspaper. You do it because it's duty. It's your job."

Yeager never sought the spotlight and was always a bit gruff. After his famous flight in the X-1, he continued testing newer, faster and more dangerous aircraft. The X-1A came along six years later, and it flew at twice the speed of sound. On Dec. 12, 1953, Chuck Yeager set two more altitude and speed records in the X-1A: 74,700 feet and Mach 2.44.

It's what happened moments later that cemented his legacy as a top test pilot. The X-1A began spinning viciously and spiraling to Earth, dropping 50,000 feet in about a minute. His flight helmet even cracked the canopy, and a scratchy archive recording from the day preserves Yeager's voice as he wrestles back control of the aircraft: "Oh! Huh! I'm down to 25,000," he says calmly — if a little breathlessly. "Over Tehachapi. I don't know if I can get back to base or not."

Yeager strikes a pose with Sam Shepard, who played him in the movie version of The Right Stuff.

Yeager would get back to base. And in this 1985 NPR interview, he said it was really no big deal: "Well, sure, because I'd spun airplanes all my life and that's exactly what I did. I recovered the X-1A from inverted spin into a normal spin, popped it out of that and came on back and landed. That's what you're taught to do."

It's more than that, though. Yeager was a rare aviator, someone who understood planes in ways that other pilots just don't. He ended up flying more than 360 types of aircraft and retired from the Air Force as a brigadier general.

Bob van der Linden of the National Air and Space Museum in Washington says Yeager stood out. "He could give extremely detailed reports that the engineers found extremely useful. It's not just flying the airplane, it's interpreting how the airplane is flying and understanding that. And he understood that, just because he understood machines so well. And was just such a superb pilot."

Yeager grew up in the mountains of West Virginia, an average student who never attended college. After high school, he enlisted in the Army Air Corps where he didn't have the education credentials for flight training. But once the U.S. entered World War II a few months later, he got his chance.
Lol...the link says otherwise.

The right stuff and yeager were legendary though yeah. Rip to a true great.

Users who are viewing this thread