What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Mike Davis, BAL (1 Viewer)

I got him with a pretty high bid (around 35%) in a league where I have CMC and am in a closing win-now window. I can see him having good ppr value. The Panthers are going to be behind a lot and the garbage time targets he got last week seem a probable game script (in addition to any passing game role that the offense affords). 

DAG said:
I got him with a pretty high bid (around 35%) in a league where I have CMC and am in a closing win-now window. I can see him having good ppr value. The Panthers are going to be behind a lot and the garbage time targets he got last week seem a probable game script (in addition to any passing game role that the offense affords). 
35 Isnt very high.  He went for way more in most of my leagues.

35 Isnt very high.  He went for way more in most of my leagues.
Yeah he went for the max in every one of mine, except one he went for $35 for some reason. I bid out about 60% in each league, other than the one I own CMC (100% easy decision), naturally not this league though. 

Mike Davis rushed 13 times for 46 yards in the Panthers' Week 3 win against the Chargers, adding eight catches for 45 yards and a touchdown. 

Davis was targeted nine times. He could be a PPR cheat code even if he's not going to pile up rushing yards while Christian McCaffrey (ankle) is out. Davis, who led Carolina in targets, is a must-play RB2 next week against Arizona. 

Sep 27, 2020, 8:16 PM ET

Mike Davis had 16 carries and 89 yards and caught 9-of-10 targets for 60 yards and score in the Panthers' Week 5 win over the Falcons.

It's not hyperbole to call Davis one of the 10 best running backs right now. He came into the week leading the NFL in broken tackles per carry, and Davis won't move down after today's elite performance. Davis is great between the tackles and has finesse as a check-down artist, too. If Christian McCaffrey misses another game, Davis can easily be plugged into lineups as a fantasy RB1. It'd be sad to see Davis crawl back into a near useless role when CMC returns, but that's the most likely case. Carolina was 3-0 with McCaffrey hobbled.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike Davis rushed 18 times for 52 yards and a touchdown in the Panthers' Week 6 loss to the Bears, adding two catches for 3 yards.

Davis also contributed a costly fumble in Panthers' territory and dealt with an ankle injury all afternoon, forcing him to the sideline for re-tapes on multiple occasions. The team's offense simply failed to get in sync in this game, and the Bears' defensive line won the matchup in the trenches. This was Davis' season low in all receiving categories since taking over for Christian McCaffrey. He faces the Saints in Week 7.

Oct 18, 2020, 4:49 PM ET

Anyone made a trade or have a thought on Davis’s value in redraft. I’m seeking someone who can carry me for a few weeks while Ekeler and Sanders heal, and I’m wondering if a good stop gap might be Davis. If an owner has some running back depth and knows CMC is coming back he might be able to be had inexpensively. 

Anyone made a trade or have a thought on Davis’s value in redraft. I’m seeking someone who can carry me for a few weeks while Ekeler and Sanders heal, and I’m wondering if a good stop gap might be Davis. If an owner has some running back depth and knows CMC is coming back he might be able to be had inexpensively. 
Good luck.   He’s been like a top 5 rb since CMC went down and we know clue if/when CMC returns and what type of condition he will be in if he does return.  With all the injuries to RBs this year, I imagine it will take a King’s ransom to get him.

Panthers coach Matt Rhule said Mike Davis will "still play" when Christian McCaffrey (ankle) returns from injury.

"[Mike Davis] has shown he deserves that," Rhule added. Davis has totaled 70/283/2 on the ground and 29/159/2 receiving over Carolina's last five games, but his efficiency has admittedly dipped with 2.5 yards per carry the past two weeks. Even so, Davis will mix in for a handful of touches behind McCaffrey — presumably to keep the latter healthy — for the stretch run. This news is more of an indictment of McCaffrey's previous every-snap role than it is a reason to believe Davis will handle 30% of the team's backfield touches in a two-man committee. We expect Davis to revert to a thin FLEX option when McCaffrey is activated.

RELATED: 

Christian McCaffrey

SOURCE: Steve Reed on Twitter

Oct 26, 2020, 5:56 PM ET

Are there any known statistics that show the likelihood of re-injury or aggravation after a high ankle sprain?  Wondering if Davis is a hold after this week whether you own MaCaffery or not?

Mike Davis rushed 13 times for 66 yards in the Panthers' Week 8 loss to the Falcons, adding an 11-yard reception. 

It was a nice bounce-back effort for Davis on the ground after back-to-back duds. Making what will be probably be his final start before Christian McCaffrey's (ankle) seemingly inevitable Week 9 return, Davis was held to three or fewer passing game targets for the second time in three weeks. Davis has eight grabs over his past three games after reaching that number three times in his first four appearances. Davis has been everything fantasy managers could have hoped for as a plug-and-play CMC replacement, but whatever coach Matt Rhule claims, his role is going to disappear upon McCaffrey's return. He can already be dropped if you're desperate to create roster space. 

Oct 30, 2020, 12:05 AM ET

xenon said:
Are there any known statistics that show the likelihood of re-injury or aggravation after a high ankle sprain?  Wondering if Davis is a hold after this week whether you own MaCaffery or not?
I mean I'd hold if I had him, if you can, just knowing he can produce if given the chance. I'd pay a bit for Davis as a CMC owner but from the sounds of it, maybe the Davis owner will drop him.

xenon said:
I don't know the statistics for this but it is pretty common for a player with a HAS to not quite be themselves for the first few games after their recovery and there is a risk of cascade injuries if the player plays too soon.

I think they have been very cautious with CMC. He was pushing to be back sooner than this, they didn't let him because of the risks. I think when CMC plays he will be fully recovered and I am not too worried about it. He is well past the 6-8 week recovery period now.

As far as if you should keep Mike Davis on your roster that depends on a lot of things like roster size and so on. Obviously Mike Davis is a fine player and I am glad he finally got the opportunity to show it.

A couple of weeks ago would have been a great time to sell Mike Davis but not so much anymore. 

I don't know the statistics for this but it is pretty common for a player with a HAS to not quite be themselves for the first few games after their recovery and there is a risk of cascade injuries if the player plays too soon.

I think they have been very cautious with CMC. He was pushing to be back sooner than this, they didn't let him because of the risks. I think when CMC plays he will be fully recovered and I am not too worried about it. He is well past the 6-8 week recovery period now.

As far as if you should keep Mike Davis on your roster that depends on a lot of things like roster size and so on. Obviously Mike Davis is a fine player and I am glad he finally got the opportunity to show it.

A couple of weeks ago would have been a great time to sell Mike Davis but not so much anymore. 
He's just coming up on the 6-week mark (injured at the end of week 2).  Although the recovery time I saw earlier was 4-6 weeks, so he WILL be past that by the time week 9 rolls around.

Don't disagree with anything else, though.  

He's just coming up on the 6-week mark (injured at the end of week 2).  Although the recovery time I saw earlier was 4-6 weeks, so he WILL be past that by the time week 9 rolls around.

Don't disagree with anything else, though.  
Thanks for the correction on that. 

HOLD - HOLD - HOLD

I think MIKE DAVIS is a definite hold, but not *only* for that reason..... it may be a few more factors at play here.

Its looking like the Panthers aren't going to be making any type of playoff run, I think they currently sit at 3-5.   I believe they play the KC CHIEFS  later today, and then they play the TB BUCS next week.   They most assuredly will lose one of these, if not both.  I'm going to go out on a limb here and say in about 2-3 weeks, they are going to start to chalk this up as a lost season. They may not state everything publicly this early on, but once a few more losses come along....other, more long term issues are looked at a bit more carefully.

They just paid CMC a sizeable $64 million dollar contract in the offseason no?    You may see where I am going with this.     I am by no means saying they will take him off the field completely if he is healthy, but I can't take that entirely out of the equation either.  

I envision him being extremely limited , or the team saying they might give him "maintenance weeks" or however they want to dress that up.   It is not out of the realm of possibilities that in several weeks they will just ride Mike Davis rest-of-season and "protect their long term investment" in CMC.

I can't say for sure that is what's going to happen, but I am clutching MIKE DAVIS tightly in the 3 of 4 redraft leagues I own him in.  There is no way I am going to just cut him loose at this point.

Oh, by the way........ There is always a risk of re-injury as well.  High ankle sprains are notorious for lingering. I had one several years back, and it was several months before I felt about 95% again.

All things considered, this looks like a DEFINITE MUST HOLD scenario, and basically just see what develops.  I know he is playing against GB AND WASHINGTON in weeks 15 and 16, and I'd prefer to have that on MY bench than giving that possibility to another team.

Unless something crazy happens, I am holding him everywhere. 

In fact, I wouldn't fault anyone for  trading for him on the cheap, just in case it unfolds exactly like this.

TZM

With CMC doubtful, how are people feeling about the match-up against Tampa this week?  I am leery of rolling him out (in a flex spot) for the following reasons:

- His volume in the passing game has declined at the same time that Curtis Samuel's share of touches has increased.  My initial impression is that Davis is touchdown-dependent entering Sunday's game.
- Tampa bottled up Kamara fairly well on Sunday night, despite the rest of the debacle taking place
- Tampa's defense has performed at a high level all season outside of the games against the Saints

Would be curious to know if people agree with this logic or have a different take.

rschroeder1 said:
With CMC doubtful, how are people feeling about the match-up against Tampa this week?  I am leery of rolling him out (in a flex spot) for the following reasons:

- His volume in the passing game has declined at the same time that Curtis Samuel's share of touches has increased.  My initial impression is that Davis is touchdown-dependent entering Sunday's game.
- Tampa bottled up Kamara fairly well on Sunday night, despite the rest of the debacle taking place
- Tampa's defense has performed at a high level all season outside of the games against the Saints

Would be curious to know if people agree with this logic or have a different take.
As a CMC and TB D/ST owner, I'm not trying to trade for Davis and I am starting TB with confidence. 

rschroeder1 said:

I agree with the sentiment but don't have a better option so I am rolling with him this weekend. It really depends on how is on your bench. I have Jonathan Taylor who you can't trust now and Justin Jackson who probably won't play due to his knee injury. 

I agree with the sentiment but don't have a better option so I am rolling with him this weekend. It really depends on how is on your bench. I have Jonathan Taylor who you can't trust now and Justin Jackson who probably won't play due to his knee injury. 
Agree as well. Looking like my choice will be Davis, Hunt or Mixon/Bernard. No PPR  so will go Hunt if Chubb is out. If Chubb is out probably go Davis.

Panthers RB Mike Davis exited to the locker room with an apparent wrist injury during Week 10's game against the Bucs.

Davis exited in the middle of the 3rd quarter and could be on his way for X-rays. Prior to leaving, Davis handled six carries for 31 yards and caught 3-of-4 targets for eight yards. He has not been given an injury status for the rest of the game at this time.

Nov 15, 2020, 3:03 PM ET

That was not a great output for my recently acquired toy.

Assuming his wrist is okay, looks like he’ll get another shot with mccaffrey likely out another week.

What the latest on his injury?  I haven't seen any reporting.  Was it the wrist or thumb and which hand?  

What the latest on his injury?  I haven't seen any reporting.  Was it the wrist or thumb and which hand?  
Dislocated finger. He came back in which bodes well, but who knows how it feels days after game adrenaline wears off. Not sure which hand.

Dislocated finger. He came back in which bodes well, but who knows how it feels days after game adrenaline wears off. Not sure which hand.
The left thumb was taped and hand was gloved per the injury thread. He's probably a rightie,  odds are anyway. 

The left thumb was taped and hand was gloved per the injury thread. He's probably a rightie,  odds are anyway. 
Thats what I thought but hadn't heard anything.  Wtih Cmac likely out hoping that the "odds are" he does play and with no issues.  Thanks

Mike Davis rushed 15 times for 55 yards and caught 3-of-6 targets for 24 yards in the Panthers' Week 12 loss to the Vikings.

Davis has been hot-and-cold in his eight games as the lead back with Christian McCaffrey sidelined. He averaged out to a high-end RB2 in those starts, although he was a disappointment throughout November. Davis proved that he can run between the tackles in a pinch, but expect Christian McCaffrey to handle his monster workload coming out of the Week 13 bye. Davis will be an insurance-only bench hold moving forward.

- Rotoworld

Any non CMC owners still holding Davis?  How is CMC doing? Is it worth holding Davis while on bye? In a redraft league with a short bench. Have to make a move to secure playoffs and Davis is on my list to drop if his role is reduced.

Any non CMC owners still holding Davis?  How is CMC doing? Is it worth holding Davis while on bye? In a redraft league with a short bench. Have to make a move to secure playoffs and Davis is on my list to drop if his role is reduced.
People are expecting CMC back next week but no concrete information and nobody knows for sure.

Mike Davis rushed 11 times for 51 yards and two touchdowns, catching 5-of-6 targets for 42 yards in the Panthers' Week 14 loss to the Broncos.

This is early-season Davis production from Christian McCaffrey's fill-in. Davis dominated the backfield touches in this game, with no other running back handling more than four, and handled the high value carries inside the 10-yard line. With D.J. Moore sidelined, it is no surprise that Davis was third on the team with six targets. McCaffrey's status still remains week-to-week, but if CMC is active against Packers then Davis cannot be in your fantasy lineup.

- Rotoworld

Mike Davis rushed 14 times for 59 yards, catching both targets for two yards in the Panthers' Week 15 loss to the Packers.

Every week feels like the last start for Davis, but Christian McCaffrey continues to be sidelined. Still, coach Matt Rhule has declined to say that McCaffrey will miss the remainder of the season, meaning he potentially could reclaim the lead back role in Week 16 against Washington.

Dec 20, 2020, 12:28 AM ET

Mike Davis (ankle) is out for Week 17 against the Saints.

With Christian McCaffrey (quad) also out, it'll be Rodney Smith, special teamer Trenton Cannon, FB Alex Armah, and likely even Curtis Samuel in the Panthers' backfield against New Orleans. A late-round fantasy gem thanks to McCaffrey's list of injuries this season, Davis was a league-winner with a 165-642-6 rushing line and 59-373-2 as a receiver, topping 1,000 total yards in a career year for the soon-to-be 28-year-old (in February). Davis will be a free agent in March and likely hopes to land a role as a 1A or 1B in someone's backfield.

RELATED: 

Rodney Smith

, Curtis Samuel

SOURCE: David Newton on Twitter

Dec 30, 2020, 3:00 PM ET

The Athletic's Michael-Shawn Dugar reports Mike Davis could be among Seattle's free agency targets.

Dugar said Davis -- coming off an excellent season with Carolina -- would reunite with the Seahawks if -- or when -- Chris Carson walks in free agency. Davis started a dozen games and racked up 1,015 total yards for the Panthers last season as Christian McCaffrey struggled with various injuries. Davis started eight games for the Seahawks over the 2017 and 2018 seasons, acquitting himself as a solid if unspectacular every-down back. If Carson signs elsewhere in the coming weeks, Seattle's backfield will be one of the more muddled backfields in the league headed into the 2021 season. 

RELATED: 

Chris Carson

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Feb 16, 2021, 12:20 PM ET

Falcons signed RB Mike Davis, formerly of the Panthers, to a two-year, $5.5 million contract. 

Davis' contract includes $3 million in guaranteed money. With Todd Gurley and Brian Hill unrestricted free agents, Davis becomes Atlanta's No. 1 running back -- for now. Davis in 2020 acquitted himself nicely as Carolina's starter, rushing 165 times and catching 59 passes with Christian McCaffrey dealt with various ailments. Only four backs saw more targets than Davis last year. He's hardly an explosive runner, but he's proven durable and efficient during his six years in the NFL. In two spot starts for Seattle in 2018, Davis totaled 160 rushing yards and eight receptions. Davis represents an upgrade to the Atlanta backfield, and could be an undervalued fantasy pick if the Falcons don't make any more significant additions to their backfield. Head coach Arthur Smith has made no secret about the Falcons running a far more balanced offense in 2021. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 23, 2021, 8:19 AM ET

Nice signing but hard to see Atlanta not addressing RB in the draft. 
Sure, but where in the draft?  They only have one pick at the top of each round until 2 comps at the end of Round 5.  How high a priority can an additional RB be in their grand scheme?

Players like this are a dime a dozen in fantasy football.  Not saying they don't hold value, just saying they are easily replaced.

Sure, but where in the draft?  They only have one pick at the top of each round until 2 comps at the end of Round 5.  How high a priority can an additional RB be in their grand scheme?
I think that the top of round 2 is very feasible if one of Najee Harris, Travis Etienne, or Javonte Williams is available with that pick. The Falcons have also been mentioned as a possible candidate for trading down with their first round pick, so if that scenario was to unfold, then adding a running back with one of the picks acquired could also be on the table.

I was going to say what Faust did. I don’t know what the grand scheme is for the new staff. I know the coach’s history says he sure loves to run the ball though. Maybe that was just a byproduct of having Henry but it wouldn’t surprise me at all to see the new staff prioritize a RB at the top of round 2.

Very, very disappointed Mike Davis did not wind up on the WFTskins, especially at that price. Would have been a perfect compliment to Gibson/McKissic.

Nice signing but hard to see Atlanta not addressing RB in the draft. 
Just because Smith ran in Tennessee (with Henry) does not mean he will focus on run as a head coach. Davis and Gurley can be fine in a pass centric offense and Ryan and his receivers are suited for a stronger role.

Just because Smith ran in Tennessee (with Henry) does not mean he will focus on run as a head coach. Davis and Gurley can be fine in a pass centric offense and Ryan and his receivers are suited for a stronger role.
Todd Gurley is a free agent and so far the Falcons have shown zero interest in bringing him back.

Chad Forbes @NFLDraftBites

You know #Falcons liked RBs in the draft. Namely, Bama’s Najee Harris & UNCs Javonte Williams. But barring a trade down or accumulating more picks via a player trade, they cannot afford given the roster to go RB Rd2. Defense needs a full rebuild and RB is a luxury pick in top 35.
https://twitter.com/nfldraftbites/status/1374357909933584384?s=21

I still think that the Falcons could go with a BPA pick in round 2 which would not preclude taking a RB; however, Chad Forbes is right in that they need to upgrade the defense in a big way.

Who does this leave in Carolina as the CMC handcuff?  Bonnafon or someone not yet drafted?  Anyone expect them to go for a late Day 2 or early Day 3 RB just to shore up and insure their prize calf again with Davis gone? 

Users who are viewing this thread